Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

2 hours ago, Lightbox said:

So Hurricanum for if I need some damage buffs and luminark for if I need horde survivability?

Good to hear! I'm not sure if they've FAQ'd away the paint scheme rule for firestorm alliegances yet though. My freeguild are done up as their own sort of free city.

i dont know if its FAQd i have painted mine in tempest colours to be safe

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Is Luminark or Hurricanum considered best for use with freeguild / general order? The hurricanum's +1 to hit seems generally super useful but I've noticed a lot of people on here now instead taking the luminark? Is it more of a different one for different tasks sort of thing? I've got a model that I've yet to build.

Also do freeguild function well as alliegance: Order instead of freeguild? Wondering because I'd love to be able to mix stuff into my freeguild that make sense.

Here are my reasons for the choices. The first list is more geared toward close combat. The Hurricanum gives my heros an added buff, deals mortal wounds, and comes with a wizard. The max range however is 18in. With my second list, due to the sheer number of models, I like the 6+ ward save, the 30in range attack for things like Skyfires and Vanguard Cross Bows and a spell that can deal Mortal Wounds even though it’s not as much as the Hurricanum. 

Its possible to do a mixed order list. I was running your typical list pre GHB2017 with Guard, 2x Handgunners, Hurricanum, 3x Rocket Batteries, and Pistoliers. It was very effective. The biggest problem was getting double turned and not getting to react. With the Free Peoples Allegiance Ability, you are about to react during you opponents phase. 90 to 120 shots twice a turn is hard for any army to withstand.

4 hours ago, Atreides said:

Not sure if this is the right place, but has anyone run Freeguild in Skirmish? There's going to be a Skirmish day at the FLGS soon, and I was wondering if the how the Freeguild would be.

They would be a lot of fun to play but may not be the most competitive. Guard save is poor and the damage out put is unreliable. Id look at handgunner with long rifle, crossbowmen, guard with sword, Greatsword, Demigryph and either Battlemage or Gen on Pony. 

11 hours ago, Atreides said:

Not sure if this is the right place, but has anyone run Freeguild in Skirmish? There's going to be a Skirmish day at the FLGS soon, and I was wondering if the how the Freeguild would be.

Yes mate. I was not greatly impressed, but then again I think it's a matter of playing to their strengths (which is hard when they aren't in great numbers).

3 minutes ago, grafcox said:

Quick question. What happened with the knights of the order? I can find a warscroll for them but cant find them in the GHB? 

EDIT

You can find the points for them in the latest Empire compendium. 

The ghb only has points for current battle tomes and grand alliance books. 

11 hours ago, grafcox said:

Quick question. What happened with the knights of the order? I can find a warscroll for them but cant find them in the GHB? 

They copped a compendiumization and aren't in GHB but are in the last compendium they did.

Hello there, 

I really like the look of Free Peoples. I like the style of gameplay where you have gun lines and shield walls, potentially with flanking cavalry. Very traditional warfare. 

Are there any good strategy guides out there for them? Any good tips on tactics and such. Like I saw that the general buffs hits for your shooters but you can't move. How do you move up the board to take objectives? When is the right time to use it? How do you deal with threats that can sit out of range and snipe you? Things like that. 

I also love the look of look of using griffin's, they seem really cool. 

Appreciate any feedback, thanks. 

2 hours ago, Kaedus said:

Hello there, 

I really like the look of Free Peoples. I like the style of gameplay where you have gun lines and shield walls, potentially with flanking cavalry. Very traditional warfare. 

Are there any good strategy guides out there for them? Any good tips on tactics and such. Like I saw that the general buffs hits for your shooters but you can't move. How do you move up the board to take objectives? When is the right time to use it? How do you deal with threats that can sit out of range and snipe you? Things like that. 

I also love the look of look of using griffin's, they seem really cool. 

Appreciate any feedback, thanks. 

A good place to start would be reading the 4chan Free People Tactics. It gives you a brief overview of the army as a whole and runs down all the units and their abilities. The next place to go would be Front Line Gamings: AOS Tactics- Freeguild. Reece does a good job discribing synergies and bonuses from Allegiance Abilities. Last place I would look would be this thread. This thread shows how the Free People Army has evolved from Compedium to now.  Not all of it is relevant now but it's worth a read.

To answer your specific questions, I have accepted that I will probably never be able to contest my opponents objective. I play to win the middle of the board and hold my own. I have found some benefit to taking one unit of Archers for area denial to start to game, eventhough they die quickly. Archers give me the chance to run a unit of guard to hold an objective backed by two units of handgunners. I was running all infantry units but movement was too much of a problem. I added Demigryphs to grab last minute objective, support a flank, and cover the rear and board edges where needed. I take enough models that it doesnt hurt too bad if i take some losses. The Luminark has helped being out ranged by Skyfires and what not and also with sniping characters.

Hope this helps. I would supply links but Im on mobile.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Order/Free_Peoples

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2017/08/23/reeces-free-peoples-on-the-warhammer-community-site/

2 hours ago, SilverJelly said:

A good place to start would be reading the 4chan Free People Tactics. It gives you a brief overview of the army as a whole and runs down all the units and their abilities. The next place to go would be Front Line Gamings: AOS Tactics- Freeguild. Reece does a good job discribing synergies and bonuses from Allegiance Abilities. Last place I would look would be this thread. This thread shows how the Free People Army has evolved from Compedium to now.  Not all of it is relevant now but it's worth a read.

To answer your specific questions, I have accepted that I will probably never be able to contest my opponents objective. I play to win the middle of the board and hold my own. I have found some benefit to taking one unit of Archers for area denial to start to game, eventhough they die quickly. Archers give me the chance to run a unit of guard to hold an objective backed by two units of handgunners. I was running all infantry units but movement was too much of a problem. I added Demigryphs to grab last minute objective, support a flank, and cover the rear and board edges where needed. I take enough models that it doesnt hurt too bad if i take some losses. The Luminark has helped being out ranged by Skyfires and what not and also with sniping characters.

Hope this helps. I would supply links but Im on mobile.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Order/Free_Peoples

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2017/08/23/reeces-free-peoples-on-the-warhammer-community-site/

Brilliant, thanks for those. I'll check them out. 

Free Peoples seems really good as a big 2k horde army. Do they have any moderately successful, or even just fun, builds at 1k which can hold their own? 

3 hours ago, Kaedus said:

Brilliant, thanks for those. I'll check them out. 

Free Peoples seems really good as a big 2k horde army. Do they have any moderately successful, or even just fun, builds at 1k which can hold their own? 

They are a lot of fun to play. Painting can be a pain... so many models... so much detail... but I digress... At a 1000 points, the games are a lot of fun to try out new units and combos, epecially adding Ironweld and Collegiate Arcane. At 2k your definetly competitive. I have never found myself tabled by turn two and never felt like i didnt have a chance at some point to win the match. I have always been able to trace my losses to a choice I made earlier in the game or just came down to the Dice Gods. The thing that really hurts Free People is the lack of mortal wound and high rend, -2+. 

Archived