Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

On 1/18/2018 at 8:33 AM, MrCharisma said:

I've been doing a bit of research on the Maggotkin battletome and I wonder how this is going to change the meta.

Both Tzeentch and Nurgle are belting out mortal wounds, and Nurgle looks like it will slowly widdle our units down via the Nurgle trees.

Is this the end of the MSUs? 

Does the Luminark and Mortal Wound saves become more valuable?

Do archers not now have a purpose? the ability to push forward after deployment means you can take some board space and keep the trees away from areas you dont want them, initially anyway.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, stato said:

Do archers not now have a purpose? the ability to push forward after deployment means you can take some board space and keep the trees away from areas you dont want them, initially anyway.

Good question. Archers can help minimise board control via Sylvaneth Wood / Nurgle Trees but is 100pts worth the situational benefit? 

I don’t know. 

With the way the Nurgle trees come up, I don’t think you’ll expect additional trees in your zone until a hero comes down. 

You can make a sacrifice and area deny a new trees spawning if you keep a unit within 3” of the tree. On a 4+ the unit will take a mortal wound, however; the sacrifice might be worth denying a whole garden growing in your deployment zone. 

What is everyone else’s thoughts?

yeah i think ward saves will be super valuable imo

this is the list im keen to try once ive finished painting my death stuff, basically flying 'T' of buffed swordsmen with the relictor & tail off to the grand companies & general

lumi to zap stuff and griffons to clean up, basically just give non flying armies a hard time & just walk up stuff that needs it, keen to give it a try

potentially thinking drop one unit of hand gunners for 2 small objective holding units potentially, but see how it bloody goes hey?

Allegiance: Free Peoples

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Stately War Banner
- Trait: Indomitable 
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- Greathammer
- Artefact: Armour of Meteoric Iron 
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- Greathammer
Luminark Of Hysh With White Battlemage (240)
- Allies
Lord-Relictor (80)
- Allies
Knight-Azyros (80)
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)
40 x Freeguild Guard (280)
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400

27 minutes ago, Josh said:

prob mobility for the swordsmen to put them where the enemy doesnt want them / move units to better positions

I'm not seeing how the Lord Relictor helps. Am I missing something? 

Healing storm doesn't do much for you, and Lightning Storm is alright 

33 minutes ago, Josh said:

prob mobility for the swordsmen to put them where the enemy doesnt want them / move units to better positions

Lightning Chariot is a Stormcast Allegiance specific prayer. You don't get it on the warscroll.

So the Relictor isn't very useful in a Free Peoples army.

3 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

Lightning Chariot is a Stormcast Allegiance specific prayer. You don't get it on the warscroll.

So the Relictor isn't very useful in a Free Peoples army.

That's what I thought Josh wanted the Relictor for but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. 

I just looked at the Lord Vexilor rules and they are bloody sweet... I've never considered him as an ally. 

I like Lances (not that I've had the opportunity to test the Halberds out).

Dunno, I think in a protracted fight the Demigryphs are the main damage dealers anyway. So the lances just feel like why not give it a shot of doing some good damage on the charge. Sometimes you get a few wounds through, opponent fails their armour save once or twice and suddenly you've punched through 4 damage on a 5 wound hero or taken out a few Judicators or something.

So yeah, given the Demi's are quite speedy and have bonuses from the musician for charging, I just feel like the Lances are going to be better in the end.

On 21/01/2018 at 9:10 AM, Atreides said:

What would be a good loadout for Demigryphs? I can see the lances being decent with the 2" Hornblower bonus to the charge rolls, though the +1 to wound with the Halberd seems good for the consistency. 

I’ve given up on my riders actually doing any damage, it’s all about the Demigryphs. 

The halberd is good, and i’m thinking that it’s now the better choice over lance. 

BTW @Josh & @someone2040, are we doing a Free People photo at CanCon?

We'll have to rustle up Kameron Ritchie (Dunno who he is though), as he's the only other person taking Free Peoples.

I'm sure it'll be glorious to get a huge huge picture of all three Free Peoples armies on a board somewhere.

You should just bring a character or something you can sneak into the picture as a cameo @Josh

1 minute ago, someone2040 said:

We'll have to rustle up Kameron Ritchie (Dunno who he is though), as he's the only other person taking Free Peoples.

I'm sure it'll be glorious to get a huge huge picture of all three Free Peoples armies on a board somewhere.

You should just bring a character or something you can sneak into the picture as a cameo @Josh

might need to finish him then haha, I can do that ^^

my zombies look like the same as my freepeople :P 

DSXsn2eVQAAxcyI.jpg:large

Looking for advice on some lists for up coming tournaments. The tournaments I will be attending will use GHB2017 BattlePlans. I test played a few lists before and felt these answered some short comings.  For the Duality of Death, Mega Great Company to hold one objective. The other units will form a group, with a guard unit contesting the units between the two objectives. The others will support the held objective or go after the other objective. 

EA130692-D702-4306-9EA5-76964769E07E.jpeg.b187609e28a719c9c887ed8c759a4d3e.jpeg7D7EA79F-F0CB-438B-B3F4-F258D3AFA9DB.jpeg.35cfd9abedc4e6b9956938406a80b0c9.jpeg

The other would primarily be for the Battle Plans where scoring with numbers is important. The Great Company ability is too good not to use. I see the support ability as a counter to double turns, being able to potentially shoot twice per turn. One great company with guard and 2 handgunner units. The other running a unit of guard and handgunners, with a unit of guard to counter charge tying up the bulk of my opponents army or leaving the unit behind to hold objects if facing an alpha strike list.

4564B2E1-043E-4652-BA45-6AFAB408A146.jpeg.3eeae6226f38ec132356254399dca8c0.jpeg

296406FB-CD38-4E3F-B0FB-1E8E74749DAB.jpeg.a9eac0e753a83027103f0b83d7720bfc.jpeg

Is Luminark or Hurricanum considered best for use with freeguild / general order? The hurricanum's +1 to hit seems generally super useful but I've noticed a lot of people on here now instead taking the luminark? Is it more of a different one for different tasks sort of thing? I've got a model that I've yet to build.

Also do freeguild function well as alliegance: Order instead of freeguild? Wondering because I'd love to be able to mix stuff into my freeguild that make sense.

2 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Is Luminark or Hurricanum considered best for use with freeguild / general order? The hurricanum's +1 to hit seems generally super useful but I've noticed a lot of people on here now instead taking the luminark? Is it more of a different one for different tasks sort of thing? I've got a model that I've yet to build.

Also do freeguild function well as alliegance: Order instead of freeguild? Wondering because I'd love to be able to mix stuff into my freeguild that make sense.

Luminark is a notable increase to survivability for a mass horde

2 hours ago, Lightbox said:

i have been using a freeguild heavy tempest eye army recently, its seems quite good so far   

18 minutes ago, stratigo said:

Luminark is a notable increase to survivability for a mass horde

So Hurricanum for if I need some damage buffs and luminark for if I need horde survivability?

10 minutes ago, PAR said:

i have been using a freeguild heavy tempest eye army recently, its seems quite good so far   

Good to hear! I'm not sure if they've FAQ'd away the paint scheme rule for firestorm alliegances yet though. My freeguild are done up as their own sort of free city.

Archived