Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Frankenfreund said:

I think there is not really an option anymore for the General on the Horse. But each group should play with the warscrolls they like anyway. :-)

I'm really confused by what you mean, the warscroll for the Freeguild General has the option of taking a warhorse written just under the section where it talks about what weapons the general can possess. The horse's hooves are also in the melee section of the scroll, and the general receives bonuses for charging if he is on a horse.

3 minutes ago, Mount Franklin said:

I'm really confused by what you mean, the warscroll for the Freeguild General has the option of taking a warhorse written just under the section where it talks about what weapons the general can possess. The horse's hooves are also in the melee section of the scroll, and the general receives bonuses for charging if he is on a horse.

Yeah, its just not specified in the GHB with a separate points listing as its a free option if you want it (and have that model).

Current Warscroll on GW / Azyr

22 hours ago, Superking said:

Why do people not use a horse with their general? Can you use a shield/sigmarite weapon alongside a stately war banner?

Ok if we've established generals can ride horses, can anyone answer my original questions, please? As a 3rd question, do I need the order book to play free peoples or can I just use the GHB17 + war scrolls?

On 10/7/2017 at 9:46 AM, flamingwalnut said:

The two reasons I have seen for taking General on foot is: they can apparently hide better (seems a little...iffy) but more importantly sometimes that is the model you have. The box DOES come with one of each... The foot general also takes up a BIT less room, base wise.

I haven't tested this theory yet, however; I can see the value in hiding the General on foot within his troops.

What you lose is movement across the board, which can be very helpful late in the game.

I can't break from using my General on Horse that I've had since 4th edition.

1 hour ago, MrCharisma said:

I haven't tested this theory yet, however; I can see the value in hiding the General on foot within his troops.

What you lose is movement across the board, which can be very helpful late in the game.

I can't break from using my General on Horse that I've had since 4th edition.

extra attacks and improved save for free?

Just now, Josh said:

extra attacks and improved save for free?

Yes, however; if you can hide him within the unit.... you won't need that save in the first place ;-)

I rarely get my General on horse into combat. That's usually the last place I want him.

I believe a shield and stately war banner is fine from the warscroll as it just says "occasionally a Freeguild General will have the honour of carrying a Stately War Banner into battle" rather than "or". By occasionally, it translates to "always" as it's a lifesaver.

The only dilemma on the shield is whether you take that or a pistol. Personally it's shield all the way, as the pistol has a very short range and not worth sacrificing a 3+ save.

An additional question relating to great companies. With Line of Sight, have people been playing a particular formation to allow as many of the shooters to see past their guard unit whilst remaining in range?  

Hi all,

Recently taken up the hobby after roughly a 15 year break since dabbling a child. Have decided to fight for the glory of the Freeguild empire, and have pretty much got my list sorted. Heck of a lot of assembling and painting ahead of me before joining a league with some friends next month. 

Looking for a little advice finishing off my list. Currently have 270 points to spare which I had originally earmarked for 5 Outriders and an additional 10 Handgunners. Fancied the Outriders for the mobility, and the Handgunners for the additional long rifle I could take. Sentiment here seems to be though that the Outriders are somewhat underwhelming. Current list is below:

Leaders

• 1 x General on foot
  • 1 x Mounted General 
  • 1 x General on Griffon

Battleline

• 40 x Freeguild Guard
  • 30 x Freeguild Handguners
  • 10 x Freeguild Greatswords
  • 3 x Demigryph Knights

Behemoth

1. Celestial Hurricanum

Total points cost = 1,730pts

Aiming to take Freeguild Allegiance and have the Guard, Handgunners, and Greatswords working together as a Great Company. Considering purchasing another Griffon, though I'm conscious that outside of the Great Company, I currently have a very low model count. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Here are some pics of my progress so far. Mounted General was bought from Ebay, I wish I could paint that well :(

20171014_204821.jpg.9760a426259a9a8b39aec31fcefd5373.jpg

20171014_204726.jpg

2 hours ago, Koalaninja said:

Hi Kaleun, I appreciate that the rockets are incredible but then this becomes a mixed order army. Are the free guild abilities not worth keeping?

If you were to stick with the free guild allegiance what models would you recommend?

Well I would say you might want to try both approaches. One with the Freeguild the other with a order allegiance and decide what brings you more success.

Here is an Freeguild army I would love to see on the battlefield (just for inspiration)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/23/reeces-freeguildgw-homepage-post-3/

Free Peoples Allegiance:

• Freeguild General on Warhorse with Stately War Banner: Flag of the Conquerors, Inspiring
  • Freeguild Guard x 20: Swordsmen: Banner, Drummer
  • Freeguild Guard x 20: Swordsmen: Banner, Drummer
  • Freeguild Handgunners x 30: Banner, Piper
  • Freeguild Handgunners x 30: Banner, Piper
  • Freeguild Crossbowmen x 30: Banner, Piper
  • Freeguild Greatswords x 30: Banner, Hornblower
  • Freeguild General on Griffon

Order Allegiance:

• Freeguild General on Warhorse with Stately War Banner: Phoenix Stone, Inspiring
  • Freeguild Guard x 40: Swordsmen: Banner, Drummer
  • Freeguild Handgunners x 20: Banner, Piper
  • Freeguild Handgunners x 20: Banner, Piper
  • Freeguild Crossbowmen x 30: Banner, Piper
  • Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage
  • Helstorm Rocket Battery

regarding your question above I would take the handgunners not the outriders in your army concept.

20 hours ago, Kaleun said:

Well I would say you might want to try both approaches. One with the Freeguild the other with a order allegiance and decide what brings you more success.

Hi Kaleun,

Thanks for the advice! Love the Helstorm rocket models, and can definitely see myself running with them in the future. I am going to try some test battles once I have this 1730 points all assembled so that I can see what is missing from the list. Can definitely see the benefit of losing 10 x Freeguild Guard to make space for the rockets. 

Those lists from Reece do look powerful, though the though of painting that many more Guardsmen makes me want to just get another Griffon :D

I'm leaning towards an additional units, 20 x Guard (Halberds), and 10 x Handgunners to bring me to 1990 points, and provide a bit more punch on one flank. Whether this would work in practice, or be too weak to make a difference will hopefully become clear in practice games. 

Next task is painting the Hurricanum...definitely not an easy task!

Alright lads! Looking for a quick bit of freeguild advice so thought I'd dip my head in here instead of starting a new topic..

I'm just getting into AoS, have a load of bretonnian and some high elf models, which unfortunately don't seem to be able to run a good list with. Am looking at doing a mixed order force by adding free guild stuff and have 30 archers and 40 freeguild guard. So two questions really, (1) I don't see a lot of archers in people's lists, with a lot going for crossbowmen or rifles. Are archers worthwhile or am I better off getting some crossbowmen? And (2) I was thinking of running the guard as militia weapons to get an extra shooting option (2 to hit with 40 units), as im a bit light atm, but again, almost every list I see is running them as swords and shields - is this to make them a lot sturdier for objective holding or are militia weapons just too ineffective?

Hope this makes sense!

7 hours ago, rhyfelwyr said:

Alright lads! Looking for a quick bit of freeguild advice so thought I'd dip my head in here instead of starting a new topic..

I'm just getting into AoS, have a load of bretonnian and some high elf models, which unfortunately don't seem to be able to run a good list with. Am looking at doing a mixed order force by adding free guild stuff and have 30 archers and 40 freeguild guard. So two questions really, (1) I don't see a lot of archers in people's lists, with a lot going for crossbowmen or rifles. Are archers worthwhile or am I better off getting some crossbowmen? And (2) I was thinking of running the guard as militia weapons to get an extra shooting option (2 to hit with 40 units), as im a bit light atm, but again, almost every list I see is running them as swords and shields - is this to make them a lot sturdier for objective holding or are militia weapons just too ineffective?

Hope this makes sense!

Archers play a different role in Freeguild than Crossbow/Handgun. Archers get a free move at the start of the battle and are great for securing/challenging an objective early. I find them good as a skirmish unit but I'm not relying on them to cause much damage. I personally wouldn't take more than 10 archers. Handgunners and Crossbowmen are just better value at 100pts for 10 models. 

I'm personally not sold on militia. I feel like they are a jack of all trades but master of none. My Swordmen are reliable and strong.

After 12 games including a 2 day tournment I would like to share some observations. 

1. 30x Xbows as a part of a great company vs an army with no range can win you the game alone.

2. 2-4 long rifles can do great damage. as a bonus the great company's support ability doesn't have to target a specific unit.

3. With a huricanium 4x unit of 10 hand gunners with long rifles are great, but with out a huricanium a unit of 20 is a must.

4. But command ability in the game? I'm voting freeguild general 3x units +1 hit/+1 wound 

5. a unit of 10 archers would have helped against players making trees on objectives turn 1, and also giving a buffer for deep strike

6. Allies are a tough choice, but I use either a huricanium (nice with multiple small units of handgunners) or the  rocket battery (this is not the most efficient war machine but the 36in range and no line of sight really does add more than just the wounds it does. The opponent has to play around it with his lightly armoured hero's.

I will add some more later 

Archived