Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

2 hours ago, Donal said:

@Hugh Halligan I def won’t be adding a second xbow unit and could see me dropping them in the future (when I motivate myself to paint handgunners).

That said they are amazing at full strength/double tap/hold the line, but it’s such a short range. The range comes into play for duality of death and battle for the pass. With having griffons / swordsmen the crossbows usually wont be targeted.

I’m definitely dropping the luminark in future. Think I’ll run double rocket battery instead. It’s a much larger damage output and more consistent. 

@Donal I get that the laser can be frustrating but if you break down what you are getting from the luminark its worth the inclusion. Firstly its a wizard, so you have Mystic shield  (needed for the swordmen) and a really decent mortal attack against hordes, bubble 6++ save  which should be used for the great comapny and general,  it has 11 wounds so can be used for duality of death and is very survivable, it moves 10" again really useful for spell casting and dispelling,  and then the laser which does have a good chance of taking out low wound hero's.       

I do love the rockets dont get me wrong, but they are just as hit and miss as the luminark.  There are so many armies that can take out the crew with no problem, and by taking them you have no magic.  

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hugh Halligan said:

@Donal I get that the laser can be frustrating but if you break down what you are getting from the luminark its worth the inclusion. Firstly its a wizard, so you have Mystic shield  (needed for the swordmen) and a really decent mortal attack against hordes, bubble 6++ save  which should be used for the great comapny and general,  it has 11 wounds so can be used for duality of death and is very survivable, it moves 10" again really useful for spell casting and dispelling,  and then the laser which does have a good chance of taking out low wound hero's.       

I do love the rockets dont get me wrong, but they are just as hit and miss as the luminark.  There are so many armies that can take out the crew with no problem, and by taking them you have no magic.  

I guess thats where we disagree. I dont think Mystic shield is needed for the swordsmen (they are already tanky and have indomintable). and the laser has a less than 44% chance of causing an armour save. once it loses 3 wounds it becomes alot less reliable.

2 Rockets are 6 attacks 4s/3s -2. so in theory should be causing 2 armour save rolls a turn. They can also be hidden from line of site, which helps alot.

Ultimately, both have benefits & will work better depending on match ups.

Any thoughts on using Halbardiers to push into the enemy?

45 minutes ago, Donal said:

I guess thats where we disagree. I dont think Mystic shield is needed for the swordsmen (they are already tanky and have indomintable). and the laser has a less than 44% chance of causing an armour save. once it loses 3 wounds it becomes alot less reliable.

2 Rockets are 6 attacks 4s/3s -2. so in theory should be causing 2 armour save rolls a turn. They can also be hidden from line of site, which helps alot.

Yes I was considering a 40 unit of Halberds or a 20 unit of Greatswords and dropping a griffon and 10 swordmen.  Although both of these units would have similar damage out puts it is unlikely you will get all 40 halberds into combat.  I have only just now realised you can put shields on the halberds so 5s rerolling 1 on the save isnt too bad (going to have to glue some shields on their backs :)). Another unit of 40 swordmen is also a consideration just to sit on objectives. 

My current list really struggles with knife to the heart, with regards to getting a majority victory, as getting 5models into the enemies deployment zone can be tricky. 

Where are you based mate? we should have a freepeople off :) 

1 hour ago, Donal said:

Sorry last point on luminark is that although you only got a 44% chance of causing damage, when you do hit you know you will get 6 damage.  with the rockets you may get 2 through but could roll 2 1s for the damage roll. Anyway lets put this discussion to rest, Im sure both options have their own merit. 

Quick question regarding how abilities are resolved during the enemy charge phase, specifically when Stand and Shoot is resolved in relation to Great Company rules.

Great Company rules specify that a unit can lend support at the end  of each enemy charge phase. 

My question is this - Do you resolve Stand and Shoot directly after an enemy unit has successfully charged and ended within 3" of the Handgunner unit? If so, does this mean that the Handgunners (should they eliminate enough models to clear them from 3") are then able to activate their Great Company ability and fire again as if it were the shooting phase?

Currently having a discussion with my group as to how they can effectively deal with my gunners. Should the above be legal, it would be a huge deterrent to charging chaff units into Handgunners to prevent them lending support.

46 minutes ago, Nico said:

Surely they will only clear enough models from within 3” if they wipe out the target unit?

Last night in a game against Soulblight, my 30-strong unit of Handgunners wiped off 10 Black Knights in a single volley.  Obviously this is a big if. However, I am interested to see what the consensus would be if this was to occur. 

For example, a unit of 10 Skinks charge within 3" of the Handgunners in a bid to prevent them shooting the Bastiliadon which has charged the nearby Guard unit. With Hold the Line, Handgunners can be hitting with 2+|2+|-1. In this scenario, I can certainly see the skinks being wiped. The question is whether Handgunners would  then be allowed to shoot again (as if it were the shooting phase) as per the Great Company rules. The interpretation of my group is that "yes" this would be allowed, though I wanted to run it by anyone who has faced this scenario before.

29 minutes ago, Helmut said:

The question is whether Handgunners would  then be allowed to shoot again (as if it were the shooting phase) as per the Great Company rules. The interpretation of my group is that "yes" this would be allowed, though I wanted to run it by anyone who has faced this scenario before.

I would say that double shots are possible 

4 hours ago, Hugh Halligan said:

Yes I was considering a 40 unit of Halberds or a 20 unit of Greatswords and dropping a griffon and 10 swordmen.  Although both of these units would have similar damage out puts it is unlikely you will get all 40 halberds into combat.  I have only just now realised you can put shields on the halberds so 5s rerolling 1 on the save isnt too bad (going to have to glue some shields on their backs :)). Another unit of 40 swordmen is also a consideration just to sit on objectives. 

My current list really struggles with knife to the heart, with regards to getting a majority victory, as getting 5models into the enemies deployment zone can be tricky. 

Where are you based mate? we should have a freepeople off :) 

I had been thinking 40 swordsmen to sit on objectives and then 40 halbards to push forward.  Agreed damage output to greatswords would be similar.
Based in London :)

On 4/16/2017 at 8:30 AM, MrCharisma said:

I've personally never used them, however I'm finding tremendous value from the Prosecutors from the AoS box set. I'm using 6 and they served me well today (minus a bloodbath against a Clan Skryre list). 

I cut their heads off and will be putting Space Wolves heads on them. 

was doing a bit of site searching. do you have any photos of the space wolves heads on prosectors? how did they look? thinking of doing the same with stormcast allies

On 11/15/2017 at 7:47 PM, MrCharisma said:

@someone2040, the game plan will depend on the scenario. I don’t need to create a super Great Company to gain the benefits, with Freeguild Pipers activating a 3” benefit instead of the usual 6” if required. 

A few tools in the toolkit;

- Knight Azyros to increase shooting potential

- Luminark to shoot off buff characters or stop things like Gaunt Summoner On Balewind

- 2x3 Demi’s provide flexibility while reducing impact of battleshock

- 40 Guard to extend across 24” deployment to protect objectives with Great Company support (Scorched Earth)

- Luminark to provide 6+ ward save, making a 3+ then 6+ swordsmen unit 

- Griffon to act with fast moment and kill higher wound models

- Archers to use their free movement to either challenge for objective early or reposition for a threat identified late in deployment 

In the ideal world I’d have 2 Griffons but time isn’t on my side after Blood & Glory.  That’s a few of the tools i’ll have...

Hmm I see. I'd be very interested to hear about your results overall.

I've been running 2 smaller great companies (20x Guard, 30x Xbow, 10x Handgunner - 20x Guard, 10x Handgun, 10x Greatsword) with mixed results. So I'd be interested to see how you go in a scenario like Scorched Earth, Total Conquest or even Starstrike with only the single great company and not a huge amount of units otherwise. I guess you can always string the 40 Guard back to the other members of the Great Company, something that's a lot harder with smaller units of Guard.

I'd also be interested in hearing how the Luminark goes. I personally don't rate it because the laser is just so hit or miss, but I guess it fits your style of having 3 large blob units gaining the extra protection.  Especially going into Cancon next year, I have to make a decision whether I paint up a Hurricanum or Luminark (or neither) fairly soon.

Totally agree on double Griffon. The more I play around with Free Peoples lists, the more I think that you need to fit more Griffons in. Something that has become abundantly clear to me is that every list needs it's killers. 30 Crossbows/Handgunners are great, but they really don't put out a lot of damage against Treelord ancients or Stardrakes. To tackle those types of opponents, you need rend or mortal wounds, something that (other than the Griffon on the former), Free Peoples clearly lacks.

To me this clear weakness in the 'core list' cements Free Peoples outside 'tier 1' range. There's just not enough you can do with 400 points of allies to shore up that issue. 

So I played in a 3 game mini-tournament yesterday using this list. I won 2/3 games (1 Major Win, 1 Minor Win, 1 Minor Loss <against a Sayl the Faithless with flying Chaos Warriors + Gaunt Summoner on Balewind>...

So I'd be interested to see how you go in a scenario like Scorched Earth, Total Conquest or even Starstrike with only the single great company and not a huge amount of units otherwise. I guess you can always string the 40 Guard back to the other members of the Great Company, something that's a lot harder with smaller units of Guard.

I played Scorched Earth and Starstrike yesterday, pulling both scenarios as a victory. I used the 2 unit's of Demigryph's on the flanks of each shooting unit and kept the Griffon and Luminark at the centre back to move where required.

I'd also be interested in hearing how the Luminark goes. I personally don't rate it because the laser is just so hit or miss, but I guess it fits your style of having 3 large blob units gaining the extra protection.  Especially going into Cancon next year, I have to make a decision whether I paint up a Hurricanum or Luminark (or neither) fairly soon.

I love the Luminark because you not only get the shooting attack but also the +1 to unbinding and the 6+ ward save.  It helps me keep my General alive, it can attract attention from other units, and has saved my ****** many times by shooting off that Gaunt Summoner / Foot of Gork warchanter on a Balewind. Rolling 30-40 dice for the Gaunt Summoner spell can brutalise a unit, however; the 6+ just gives me an additional layer of protection.

I just can't justify my entire ally points on the Hurricanum. The +1 isn't really a benefit for our army which already gets a very easy 2+ to hit due to massive numbers and Hold the Line!.

To me this clear weakness in the 'core list' cements Free Peoples outside 'tier 1' range. There's just not enough you can do with 400 points of allies to shore up that issue. 

Agreed. I wish Free People gained 25% ally points as a feature of their allegiance. My previous army was very much an Empire army which was an equal combination of warmachines, magic, and troops. I can't even take my Carmine Dragon within the ally points (440) :-(

8 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Hmm I see. I'd be very interested to hear about your results overall.

I've been running 2 smaller great companies (20x Guard, 30x Xbow, 10x Handgunner - 20x Guard, 10x Handgun, 10x Greatsword) with mixed results. So I'd be interested to see how you go in a scenario like Scorched Earth, Total Conquest or even Starstrike with only the single great company and not a huge amount of units otherwise. I guess you can always string the 40 Guard back to the other members of the Great Company, something that's a lot harder with smaller units of Guard.

Totally agree on double Griffon. The more I play around with Free Peoples lists, the more I think that you need to fit more Griffons in. Something that has become abundantly clear to me is that every list needs it's killers. 30 Crossbows/Handgunners are great, but they really don't put out a lot of damage against Treelord ancients or Stardrakes. To tackle those types of opponents, you need rend or mortal wounds, something that (other than the Griffon on the former), Free Peoples clearly lacks.

Sorry I dont have my GHB17 on me but can you take 2 great companies? thought you could only do one. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Halligan said:

Sorry I dont have my GHB17 on me but can you take 2 great companies? thought you could only do one. 

Ok just re-read the battle trait and you can take as many great companies as you like. I dont know how I missed that. 

initial thoughts are you can have one defensive and one attacking great company: 

General 100

General on Griffon 260

General on Griffon 260

Defensive Great Company:

30 Swordmen 300

30 Crossbows 300 

30 Handgunners 240 

Offensive Great Company:

30 Halberdiers 240

10 Archers 100

20 Handgunners 200

Total 2000

I have run a single large great company in games against Seraphon and Soulblight with great success so far. I have found that two Outrider units are surprisingly tanky, particularly on Battle for the Pass where i have been able to keep them in range of my General w/ Indomitable. 

I dont see them in many peoples lists, am I overestimating the effectiveness of Outriders?  Their speed is something I have loved so far.

11 hours ago, Hugh Halligan said:

Ok just re-read the battle trait and you can take as many great companies as you like. I dont know how I missed that. 

initial thoughts are you can have one defensive and one attacking great company: 

General 100

General on Griffon 260

General on Griffon 260

Defensive Great Company:

30 Swordmen 300

30 Crossbows 300 

30 Handgunners 240 

Offensive Great Company:

30 Halberdiers 240

10 Archers 100

20 Handgunners 200

Total 2000

Just as a FYI, you've mixed up your cost for your 30 Swordsmen and 30 Handgunners.

My problem with the list I guess would be lack of allies. Double Griffon I'm sure will be great, but both double Griffon, and a maxxed out Great Company means your other 'toys' allowance has been taken up by your second Great Company. My gut feel is that I'd want to at least cut 10 Handgunners from the offensive company to slot in a Battlemage. Life is a really good choice with 2 Griffons to heal, and large units which can benefit from the additional 6++ save, while Beasts would be a more offensive choice.

You could also take a page out of MrCharisma's book and cut 10 Guard from somewhere and add in a Knight Azyros. The problem is I guess, now your second company is looking thin, but I suppose it'll have support from both Griffons also.

Anyway, I guess that's the great thing about list tweaking. Everyone has their own idea on what's good. 30 Halberdiers can auto-claim objectives, while my personal preference is minimum 20's just to enable the Great Company benefits. Who knows who is really right.

11 hours ago, Helmut said:

I have run a single large great company in games against Seraphon and Soulblight with great success so far. I have found that two Outrider units are surprisingly tanky, particularly on Battle for the Pass where i have been able to keep them in range of my General w/ Indomitable. 

I dont see them in many peoples lists, am I overestimating the effectiveness of Outriders?  Their speed is something I have loved so far.

The only reason I haven't tried out Outriders is I haven't made my models yet. Personally I feel I throw my Pistoliers away too recklessly (They tend to run out, guns blazing like in a movie, then get dragged down by 10 Skeletons >.>). The 5's to hit just really kill the power of them. The Outriders perhaps will have similar issues, but at least their range is a little longer so might be able to sit still for a turn.

Dunno, the other thing is my Demigryphs have been impressing me a bit more lately. While they're still being killed off, I've definitely seen them dish out some damage and tank some damage in my last few games. This was opposed to a while back when they were basically waltzing in, majorly whiffing and then probably dying to something else in one turn (A Bretonnian Lord for instance wiped them out in one go :S).

So I have to decide if I value Demigryphs which are tanky, or Pistoliers/Outriders which offer a bit more ranged support. Both offer speed (Although the Pistoliers/Outriders are a fair bit faster due to being able to run and shoot/charge).

B1BABF69-7CB4-49DD-B9BA-0ECFCEE44087.jpeg.899d247c2c232c9f76739b0b4399fc8a.jpeg

Another game with the mega Great Company, another victory against a rock solid Tzeentch army. Played a 2k Knife to the Heart battle. 

0C3B6778-C8BC-466E-A96E-4A8E029E5B30.jpeg.ee18a3efc49865277df0af278d350876.jpeg

FA9ECDEE-AA2D-4CE8-BB8F-F9DC109509D2.jpeg.65c72edc60a82b568a14048200e09cbe.jpeg

My Guard were well positioned and  enticing enough to be charged at least three times, and I blocked out the sun with crossbowmen and handgunners.

My General with Indominable has been a nice touch too .

AD7F6339-1B46-4895-ADC4-35DAB2AFF80C.jpeg.225a29f8a8cf08da53f80684c14319f8.jpeg

That's a lovely army two posts above this one! 

I'm thinking of trying the old Altdorf-esque blue for my fledgling freeguild. I have to get them finished for heat one at the GT though and have always found a blue scheme quite quick for Empire in the past. 

In putting together my list for the heat I've been bouncing around a lot between the Luminark and its celestial companion. I've decided on the Hurricanum for now for my allied slot because the buff to hits seems useful. However I expect as I play more test games this may change and saves may seem essential. Was tempted to go with mixed order but I'm sticking to my freeguild guns on this one I think, 

So I had put down Free People for a bit and now Im pondering them again. 

It seems like the sheer number of bodies you can throw into the meat grinder combined with battleshock resistance and good saves makes them pretty solid. What Ive been noticing about a lot of the current tier 1 armies is that they really struggle if they cant put out enough damage to chew up opposing forces. if they hit a big anvil with good saves that doesnt crumble to battleshock they have some serious trouble.

I think combining a horde of guard with sword &shield with an indominable general and a luminark is a seriously formidable force for many armies to deal with. And then of course you light them up with handgunners with great companies.

Vanguarding out archers seems pretty solid as well. they are a serious speedbump for certain armies like murderhost and ironjawz.

Mobility seems to be a problem, however, and Ive been pondering how to address getting across the battlefield against armies like KO that rely on standing back and shooting.

what do you all think?

On 23/11/2017 at 1:51 AM, Congratz said:

Wow looks cool! Is that a Altdorf colour scheme?

Cheers mate, it indeed is Altdorf. Specifically it's the Altdorf Company of Honour with their yellow feathers in their caps. 

On 24/11/2017 at 9:21 PM, Theslowcentury said:

That's a lovely army two posts above this one! 

I'm thinking of trying the old Altdorf-esque blue for my fledgling freeguild. I have to get them finished for heat one at the GT though and have always found a blue scheme quite quick for Empire in the past. 

Cheers mate. Blue would be Middenheim if I remember correctly... AND is the colour of a Great City. Hammerhaul maybe? 

I've found the old Nuln colours (black and white) super ease to paint too. 

Another good showing for the freepeople at honour and glory in Portsmouth. 2 major wins and 1 major loss. Lost against tzeentch which is a hard match up. Smash iron jaws and khrone, they have no answers against freepeople firepower. Luminark killed so many hero's and save a number of guard with the 6+. Swordmen are hard to shift when they 2s refilling 1s. 3 Griffon  are super strong ?

20171125_102617.jpg

20171125_130845.jpg

20171125_100745.jpg

20171125_102739.jpg

20171125_132508.jpg

20171125_100154.jpg

20171125_150900.jpg

20171125_105756.jpg

20171125_150857.jpg

20171125_130845.jpg

20171125_100745.jpg

20171125_102739.jpg

20171125_150905.jpg

20171125_124345.jpg

20171125_130844.jpg

20171125_132453.jpg

20171125_102927.jpg

20171125_132503.jpg

20171125_100742.jpg

20171125_134251.jpg

21 hours ago, Congratz said:

Hey Guys :D

Have a 2 quick questions... What Firestorm alligance does free guild work really good with? Anvilguard maybe?

And what weapon is best for the General on Griffon, thinking about taking the greathammer? Thoughts?

Have a great day!

hi going to dig out my old ghb1 freeguild have a go using tempest eye as i have some swifthawks & elf stuff on a shelf (19" griffons & 16" reavers :D)

hammerhal, greywater look ok & anvilgurd looks very interesting but i dont own any D elves or dwarfs sadly

hammers on griffons for me (rend 2 is well handy)

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, MrCharisma said:

Cheers mate. Blue would be Middenheim if I remember correctly... AND is the colour of a Great City. Hammerhaul maybe? 

You're quite right! I'm trying to remember what the halfed blue and red city was! Anyway my Freeguild will be representing Hammerhal I think!

Archived