Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

Just now, Josh said:

sorry if its already been covered, but just curious if it has been cleared up or FAQ re: piper shooting and great company assistant units? 2 rounds of shooting or one?

Just one, if the enemy is withing 3" of the Handgunners triggering the piper ability they can't also assist as they have to be more than 3" from the enemy to do so. 

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Josh said:

they way i run it is a line of swordsmen, line of handgunners then a line of crossbows

i would see it swordsmen get charged initiating piper shooting, then grand company would trigger the cross bows

or am i being optimistic? 

As long as there are no enemy models withing 3" of the crossbows then they can assist.

I would suggest moving the handgunners further back from the swordsmen to the 6" maximum to assist rather than using the piper ability; that way to they the +1 to hit from not moving as they'll be more than 3" from the enemy. 

14 hours ago, Josh said:

sorry if its already been covered, but just curious if it has been cleared up or FAQ re: piper shooting and great company assistant units? 2 rounds of shooting or one?

The short answer is, yes, you can, as long as you are able to meet both the Pipers and Great Company requirements for shooting.

One of the restrictions on the Great Company is you are unable to assist if you are within 3" of the enemy. So the usual case is that if the enemy lands within 3" of your shooting unit, you get to use your Pipers to shoot them immediately, but that would in essence, contradict the Great Company rule that prevents you from doing so.

However, if by the end of the charge phase, there are no enemy models within 3" of your unit, they can lend support as per normal. The usual circumstance this may occur is if the unit with the pipers ability destroys the enemy unit or the enemy removes models in such a way that they're no longer within 3" of your shooter (A good opponent should not unless they really need to for some particular reason).

One thing I'm unsure about, is whether or not when units become eligible for the Great Company rules. Do you do a check, at the end of the Charge phase for every unit that could do End of Charge Phase abilities and then activate units in turn (In essence, the 'End of the Charge Phase' being a phase itself)? Or do you select a unit at the End of the Charge Phase to do something, then select another unit to do something if they're eligible, etc.

The reason the nuance is important, is that in the latter example you could use another assisting unit of Shooters to target the enemy nearby one of your ineligible unit of shooters. If the first unit kills enough enemy models, it could mean a unit that was originally ineligible to use the Great Company rules suddenly becomes eligible.

Personally, I do actually feel that the latter is more in line with how Age of Sigmar works. You dictate doing things in a particular order of your choosing, and even if you choose your first unit which is eligible, your second unit later becomes eligible as it's still 'the end of the enemy charge phase' and 'no enemy units within 3"'.

4 hours ago, Nico said:

The +1 to hit for not moving only applies in the shooting phase - not in the enemy charge phase.

'...can either shoot as if it were their shooting phase or charge as if it were their charge phase'

Doesn't 'as if' transpose the activated unit temporarily to their shooting phase?

4 hours ago, Nico said:

The +1 to hit for not moving only applies in the shooting phase - not in the enemy charge phase.

I think Nico may have a point there! Dont worry though Marc you get +1 Hit from being in a unit larger than 20, +1 Hit from General and +1 Hit from Hurricanum.  So still hitting on 2s!! 

So has anyone considered which Firestorm Allegiance, if any, they'll be running their Freeguild with?

I'm mostly considering Tempest's Eye. Since I run a Battalionless Freeguild horde with a lot of drops I'm almost always made to go first while my guns are out of range. The extra movement bonus would help me close the ground between me and my opponent while allowing me to more easily reach and claim objectives, with the bonus save serving to keep me alive through what will most likely be an alpha/beta strike back against me.

I played in a 30-man tournament in Sweden this weekend with my Freeguild. I got two major wins vs Nagash and Mixed Order gunline, one minor win vs Tzeench and two major losses vs Tzeench and Ironjaws. I had one Great Company with a 30-man unit of xbows and they were great all weekend. I learned a couple of tricks along the way. For example if you use the Piper ability and wipe out the unit that is charging you, you are then free to fire supporting fire. Also, the swordsmen counter charge ability can be used to draw the Great Company into combat and trigger supporting fire. The list felt pretty good and I had a good chance in every game. Against the Ironjaws I had the dice to pull off a major but did not run towards the objectives in time and lost. 

On another note: I saw that Free People came 5th in Facehammer GT. Does anyone know the list?

10 hours ago, Kaleun said:

@jobume

I can offer just the winning SCE list.

What was your list?

My list was:

Freeguild general - Indomitable

Griffon - Meteoric iron

Griffon

Hurricanum

40xSwords

30xXbows

10xHandguns

3xDemis

3xDemis

The only unit I could not get to work were the Demigryphs. I did manage to burn an objective with them in Scorched Earth, but other then that they just died.

12 hours ago, jobume said:

On another note: I saw that Free People came 5th in Facehammer GT. Does anyone know the list?

One of my clubmate played him. This is the list (I believe).

Thanks man. So this is what I'm gonna tell people the list was:

Allegiance: Free Peoples
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- Lance
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner
Battlemage (100)
- Allies
Knight-Heraldor (120)
- Allies
Knight-Heraldor (120)
- Allies
40 x Freeguild Guard (280)
40 x Freeguild Guard (280)
30 x Freeguild Handgunners (300)
10 x Freeguild Archers (100)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
- Allies

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 380 / 400

Guard where swordsmen. Only 1 regiment: 40 swords and 2 handgunners. In their game my clubmate charged the archers, swordsmen counter charged the handgunners shot the unit. Sounded amazing...

I could be slightly wrong on the list.

3 minutes ago, Frankenfreund said:

How did he use the Knight-Heraldors?

They seem kind of odd in this list. 

Maybe they were a late addition, I'm not sure. There was a lot of large terrain pieces at this tournament, probably the most and biggest terrain I've seen at a tournament.

What would you rather take:

400 points allies worth of Artillery from the Ironweld Arsenal or the Celestial Hurricanum or two Generals with Griffons?

I am not sure how to help out a list that is based on one big block each of Swordsmen, Gunners and Crossbows with a Flag-General. 

23 minutes ago, Frankenfreund said:

400 points allies worth of Artillery from the Ironweld Arsenal or the Celestial Hurricanum or two Generals with Griffons?

I am not sure how to help out a list that is based on one big block each of Swordsmen, Gunners and Crossbows with a Flag-General. 

I would take the Hurricanum. Ranged mortal wounds can be gold. I still thinks it's worth it at 380p.

2 minutes ago, Frankenfreund said:

I would ask what the rest of your army is. I have spoken to a few people and they stand by the Celestial Hurricanum all day, every day. The mortal wound output is just nuts and it may be the very answer to what is missing in a Freeguild army.

I've tried running the two Hellstorm Rocket Batteries; It works great, but if they take them out before you can can do anything, you're sitting ducks. It a huge point investment in support. 

9 hours ago, Slick_Kid said:

I would ask what the rest of your army is. I have spoken to a few people and they stand by the Celestial Hurricanum all day, every day. The mortal wound output is just nuts and it may be the very answer to what is missing in a Freeguild army.

I've tried running the two Hellstorm Rocket Batteries; It works great, but if they take them out before you can can do anything, you're sitting ducks. It a huge point investment in support. 

Basically I wonder which one of these lists would work better. I tend towards the Griffon-list for more objective-grabbing. The advantage of the Artillery is the range. 

1. Griffons: 

Allegiance: Order

Leaders Freeguild General (100) - Stately War Banner

Freeguild General On Griffon (260) - Lance

Freeguild General On Griffon (260) - Hammer 

Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (380) - Allies

Units Freeguild Guard Swordsmen (280) 40

Freeguild Handgunners (300) 30

Freeguild Crossbowmen (300) 10

Freeguild Handgunners (100)

Reinforcement Points (0) Total: 1980 / 2000 Allies: 380 / 400 Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 3/4 Artillery: 0/4

Or

2. Artillery

Allegiance: Order

Leaders Freeguild General (100) - Stately War Banner

Freeguild General On Griffon (260)

Lance Cogsmith (100) - Allies

Units Freeguild Guard Swordsmen (280) 40

30 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)

10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)

3 x Demigryph Knights (160) -Lance and Sword

Protectors of the Arsenal (80) 10 x (Freeguild Guard ) <-- I would leave these behind to form a screen

War Machines Helstorm Rocket Battery (180) - Allies

Helblaster Volley Gun (120) - Allies

Reinforcement Points (0) Total: 1980 / 2000 Allies: 400 / 400 Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 6 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 2/4

Or something similar. Somehow, I tend to go with the first list, also because of what jobume wrote. 

What I would like to see would be how to maximise the Pipers/Allegiance-ability "extra shots/pile ins" for dummies. I get a general idea, but how to position is kind of difficult for me. 

Hey guys, I have a question. How do you all transport your models? Specifically the little guys like Swordsmen and Handgunners.

At the moment I'm using a combination of zip-lock bags (which, surprisingly, even after several 2 hour long train rides, have only ever resulted in 1 of 70 Swordsmen actually being damaged) and the GW carry cases. While they've so far worked, I imagine the former won't be so viable once I actually start painting my miniatures, and I'm paranoid that the foam in the carry case will keep catching onto the little bits on the models and eventually wear them down. Do any of you use anything different or is my paranoia unjustified?

I decided to post this here because it seems like too niche a question to make into an Ask thread, though if this isn't the right place I'll surely do that.

Archived