Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

13 hours ago, Blitzel said:

It looks like we get a truly strong core force. Which enemies will be reluctant to charge head on. 

I might want to field 40 spearmen. As such a big unit could take advantage of their increased attack range, together with hold the line, that are a lot of attack still hitting on 2's even under 30 models. 

Also I love my 5th edition spearmen. I am still wondering wgat to do with my steam tank though..

I am really digging our allegiance ability! Great news all in all!

That's a really good point about spearmen - I was just about to rip their arms off and make them into swordsmen,  but you now that's thrown a curveball. Getting 40 swordsmen in range will be tricky,  whereas with the smaller units, I never really saw the point in spearmen.  They may now come into their own!

A quick question - I see the suggestion of using the guard as a screening unit for the ranged units - could someone talk me through how this is achieved while still maintaining LOS for the ranged?  

Do we feel that there will still be a place for the Freeguild Regiment (or State Troop Detachment in more casual games)? The,company ability listed here seems good without a points cost from what I can see! The regiment was great for the to hit buff, but now we're looking pretty strong on battleshock. I guess most people will drop the battalion?

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't done the math. But with point increase of the battalion and the decreasing of unit cost, I think it comes around the same points as before. However I do find a little bit of everything, in a not so tough army, a bit of a downer.

This way, with the grand company, you can create a really though core force .And the only manditory unit is freeguild guard, so it is really flexibel. Have you guys thought about a block if 40 guard, 15 outriders and 15 pistoliers on both flanks? If you charge in the pistoliers as a reaction and next turn you give them hold the line, they get an insane damage boost, as it affects shooting and CC and their horses!

Anyway, we get some nice new possibilities and combinations to puzzle with.

Reading over the Warhammer community article, you might find that you no longer need the Freeguild Regiment. 

If you go all in with the Free People you'll gain some pretty solid buffs. 

The real question is... Do you go all in with Free People or do you run Mixed Order? I'm still struggling to see why I'd go pure Alligence 

2 hours ago, Blitzel said:

This way, with the grand company, you can create a really though core force .And the only manditory unit is freeguild guard, so it is really flexibel. Have you guys thought about a block if 40 guard, 15 outriders and 15 pistoliers on both flanks? If you charge in the pistoliers as a reaction and next turn you give them hold the line, they get an insane damage boost, as it affects shooting and CC and their horses!

Hold the line doesnt prevent the units  from counter charging, so you could do it before. Say you have great swords/pistoliers as a support to guard, you could put HTL on them, then they counter charge/shoot in opponents phase

2 hours ago, Duck1986 said:

That's a really good point about spearmen - I was just about to rip their arms off and make them into swordsmen,  but you now that's thrown a curveball. Getting 40 swordsmen in range will be tricky,  whereas with the smaller units, I never really saw the point in spearmen.  They may now come into their own!

Reason i like the 40 swordsmen is to survive for multiple turns.

What I REALLLY like with the free guild great companies is that shooting units can shoot even if they supporting a unit that was already locked in combat. So if enemy gets a double turn the unit locked in combat with swordsmen will have had another round of shooting at them before they get to attack.

What do people think of the below list:

Griffon General
freeguild general (general)
40 swordsmen
30 xbows
20 hangunners
3 demis
3 demis
3 demis
Luminark
Mage

Solid bunker units, with 4 units that are fast and can tie up enemy infantry. I like the luminark for making that swordsmen unit even more tanky (and its spell is nice vs vs hordes)

2 minutes ago, Blitzel said:

40 swordsmen with a general nearby who has indominatable (the +1 armoursave trait? ) is a really though unit to crack. Peoples might not want to charge it ;)

people underestimate humies! plus its only 280 points for a unit that is very tough to shift :)

think id use the battleshock immunity as comman trait

2 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

@Donal I like the list. Smart to break up the Demi's too.

What mage would you run?

I think wildform or miasma would be great. That said, I'm new to Freeguild so very open to suggestions!

Question on Great Companies rules for Crossbow vs Hangunners

Great Companies: "Can Shoot if it were shooting phase"

Crossbowmen - can shoot twice if 20 or more models, did not move in the preceeding movement phase and no enemy within 3. This to me means the can shoot twice when supporting.

Handgunners - Steady Aim: "add 1 to hit roles in your shooting phase" - does this mean it doesnt get the +1 to hit.
(it would still get +1 from freeguild handgunner)

Do people agree/disagree?

6 hours ago, Donal said:

Crossbowmen - can shoot twice if 20 or more models, did not move in the preceeding movement phase and no enemy within 3. This to me means the can shoot twice when supporting.

Handgunners - Steady Aim: "add 1 to hit roles in your shooting phase" - does this mean it doesnt get the +1 to hit.
(it would still get +1 from freeguild handgunner)

Do people agree/disagree?

Crossbowmen- will depend on if the enemy is within 3" and if they moved. If I took these guys, I might not take them within the company. I'd probably move them in the first turn and then use the range to just sit there and fire off double shots. 

1 hour ago, MrCharisma said:

Crossbowmen- will depend on if the enemy is within 3" and if they moved. If I took these guys, I might not take them within the company. I'd probably move them in the first turn and then use the range to just sit there and fire off double shots. 

If enemy is within 3" then they can use piper (just shoot once) but not guard ability. I'll def run these in the company use because of the double shots (pip pip ahoy!)

2 hours ago, Donal said:

If enemy is within 3" then they can use piper (just shoot once) but not guard ability. I'll def run these in the company use because of the double shots (pip pip ahoy!)

I guess my thinking is that the double shots from the Crossbowmen are very enticing to take advantage of (assuming you don't move). This temptation might slow your overall force down with the minimum requirements to be in the great company, which may ultimately stop you scoring objective points. 

Test it out and let us know how it goes.

I have a preference of running small units of Handgunners to be able to get more long rifles. 

3 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

I guess my thinking is that the double shots from the Crossbowmen are very enticing to take advantage of (assuming you don't move). This temptation might slow your overall force down with the minimum requirements to be in the great company, which may ultimately stop you scoring objective points. 

Test it out and let us know how it goes.

I have a preference of running small units of Handgunners to be able to get more long rifles. 

Makes sense which is largely why I have the griffon, 3x3 Demi's for scenario grabbing.

Very try and squeeze in a large great sword force (prob by dropping luminark) and either Demi's or reducing handgunners. That way they can push forward for scenarios.

That said I have plenty of swordsmen and handgunners to do first so will concentrate on painting/assembling those :)

Until I read what you guys are typing I totally blanked that I could take a 10 unit pistoliers or outriders in these formations. It would require me getting more but this sounds really powerful...so many possibilities.

I love the fact pistoliers could shoot and be decent in melee, and give speed when you need it.

usuing 

2 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

I'm running this Mixed Order/Primarily Free People army tomorrow at a 2 day tournament. 

I'm feeling good and hopefully don't face too many filthy WAAC lists. 

IMG_9021.PNG

GHB 1 rules? I like the list, what guard you running?

Wow! So many interesting changes. My old list will no longer work, so I need to come up with a new one for an upcoming tournament. What do you think about this:

Allegiance: Order
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- Greathammer
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- Greathammer
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Stately War Banner
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (380)
40 x Freeguild guard w shields (280)
30 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
3 x Demigryph Knights (160)
- Lance and Sword
3 x Demigryph Knights (160)
- Lance and Sword

Total: 2000/2000, 146w

On 23-8-2017 at 1:56 PM, MrCharisma said:

...and this is why you don't let an Australian translate languages. We're on a tiny island, surrounded by English speaking folk, and look for the quickest route to a beer. 

I wouldn't be running Demi's or Greatswords as battleline, but I apprecaite your translation 

Well!

Azyr just told me greatswords are battleline if your allegiance is free peoples! I don't have the book yet, but the preview might not have revealed all..

Played my first game of GHB 2017 today. The list I took was

Freeguild General - General - Indomitable

Freeguild General with Stately War Banner

Freeguild General on Griffon - Armour of Meteoric Iron

20x Freeguild Guard

30x Freeguild Crossbowmen

20x Freeguild Handgunners

10x Freeguild Greatswords

3x Demigryph Knights

5x Pistoliers

2x Cannon 

Gryph Hound

Played the Scorched Earth scenario against a mixed Destruction list. This scenario is pretty interesting as it's not a variation of one of the existing 6. I also think it's the big x-factor scenario, that makes a case for more smaller units rather than big hordes of models.

The game overall ended up being very tight, especially due to a Stonehorn smashing into one of my side objectives first turn and razing it from the game. This put me on the back foot from the start, because my opponent not only stole one of my objectives, but I couldn't reclaim it so would be claiming less points each turn unless I could steal his objectives.

Luckily the Free Peoples powered through, and in my last turn of the game had control of two of my opponents objectives that I was able to raze and pip the major victory.

What I took away from the game though, was I think it'll be very difficult for the Free Peoples to make the most out of our allegiance ability while sitting on the objectives. Promoting bigger units means you have overall, less units. So you don't necessarily have 10 Freeguild Guard that can sit on an objective, and you're not too fussed about leaving them there.

This scenario is going being played I feel is really gonna put a curb on too many massive hordes of units, or perhaps the more expensive ones. Even though I got to make full use out of my Handgunners (never lost a model), they're definitely a prime unit I'm probably going to split into two in future.

Another thing I took away from the game is I think our allegiance ability potentially is quite powerful, especially if you can sit back and not move. One thing I didn't initially comprehend was this works even if you weren't charged. So if you're in a protracted combat, as long as your supporting units aren't within 3" of the enemy, they can shoot. Potentially quite powerful if you can keep the enemy off your shooters, as you're getting free rounds of shooting. You can potentially get the boosted effects as well if you didn't end up moving in your turn. In my game game, I used my hold the line command ability on the units in my Great Company. During my turn they turned around and shot the stone horn, but in my opponents turn they blasted the Ogors my Freeguild Guard were in combat with.

Definitely feeling happy with my Free Peoples and optimistic about how they're going to turn out. A little bit worried about 3 places of power, and will have to wait and see what happens when my opponents have counter-fire.

Edit: You can find a full write up of my battle report on my blog here.

Hey all. I just tinkered something up "not balthasar gelt" is in the list also. Do you think he is worth it? He has good mobility and is better at dispelling. 

Also azyr puts him not in allies, so we get a wizards that doesn't use all points.

Screenshot_20170828-113851.jpg

Screenshot_20170828-113904.jpg

The app is full of ****** at the moment. Obviously using old key words and the like. The Battlemage on Pegasus doesn't have the keyword, none of the compendium do, so your list as stands is illegal if you want to use Free Peoples allegiance.

Personally I wouldn't be going anywhere near compendium anymore unless you really want to use some of your older models. Don't go trying to break the system, otherwise you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. GW obviously don't want people using Compendium in competitive lists.

Archived