Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

@someone2040 I 100% agree with you. My off handed comment about the other human factions was a thought on making humans that slightly more competitive, as well as encouraging the usage of Devotee / Ironweld which I doubt has seen the tuffs of the battlefield in a long time. 

The humans are a thread that can be woven through all the cities of the Mortal Realms. Even the stories about Death have Vampire woreshipping human cults. 

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, if they took out the compendium section, there will be no more Brotherhood of Knights for them =(

But it is good to see a points decrease in many units like the Griffon, Greatswords or the Pistoliers and their more skilled brethren. 

In fact, half of our units got cheaper, if only just a little bit. This might help to get some more bodies on the table. 

And it is also tempting to field sword & board guard combined with Greatswords. An enemy surrounded by swordsmen and Greatswords must be a quite impressive sight.

1 hour ago, Salyx said:

However, if they took out the compendium section, there will be no more Brotherhood of Knights for them =(

But it is good to see a points decrease in many units like the Griffon, Greatswords or the Pistoliers and their more skilled brethren. 

In fact, half of our units got cheaper, if only just a little bit. This might help to get some more bodies on the table. 

And it is also tempting to field sword & board guard combined with Greatswords. An enemy surrounded by swordsmen and Greatswords must be a quite impressive sight.

Well we don't know exactly what's happening with the compendium just yet. I believe we are getting updated points for those in a separate pdf

I really wouldn't be designing lists that have a core focus on anything from the compendium in future. No doubt the Brotherhood is going to go up in points anyway, but now there's a very clear separation between stuff that's in the GHB and stuff that's not. I think it's more and more likely that Compendium stuff is going to be excluded from tournaments in future.

That being said, here's the list I'm thinking of running next week in my first ever GHB2 game (Assuming I can scratch the models together in time).

Freeguild General on Griffon

Freeguild General

Freeguild General

20x Freeguild Guard

20x Freeguild Handgunners

30x Freeguild Crossbowmen

10x Greatswords

3x Demigryph

3x Demigryph

2x Empire Cannon

Gryph Hound

The Demigryph's may get subbed out for Pistoliers (As I don't currently have an additional 3 Demigryph models) and I'm gonna need to assemble my General on Griffon in a hurry and I'm gonna have to get out some models from older armies, but should be doable.

Depending on the specifics of the allegiance ability, I might have to fiddle around with things. I'm thinking that the Freeguild Guard, Handgunners and Crossbowmen go into the Great Company with the Guard basically shielding both shooting units. If the supporting units need to be smaller than the parent, then it'll probably be the Guard, Handgunners and Greatswords.

Also with the points decreases, I just manage to sneak in a Gryph Hound as allies. With this much shooting, definitely could be a useful piece.

Pretty excited. Free Peoples are looking like they'll be my main force for the 2017-2018 gaming season and looking to get more experience with them (Only played 1 game with them previously).

At least adepticon has already stated that compedium will be usable. I believe it's more of a manouver to save pages for other stuff than anything else. GW has stated already that the compediun will be updated in separate pdf, which makes sense as they could distract new players in the ghb when the models are not on sale.

Depending  on how legacy warscrolls will be used, my list will look something like this:

LEADERS

freeguild general

Freeguild general on griffon

Volkmar the grim

Excelsior warpriest

BATTLELINE

20 crossbows

10 handgunners

10 handgunners

OTHER

20 greatswords

10 pistoliers

3 vanguard palladors

WARMACHINE/BEHEMOTH

Steam tank

2000 with the new points if I am correct.

Personally I'm not sure I'm convinced as to the usefulness of Greatswords/Demigryphs being battleline. 

My reasons are as follows:

We don't generally have battleline problems in more traditional army. If we take multiple units of shooters and some Freeguild Guard, we're already at 3 battleline before we know it. So it seems to me that these options (especially Demigryph's) will be more useful in more thematic armies (All mounted for example).

Additionally, if we want to make use of the Great Companies, the above video suggested we would need to have a Freeguild Guard unit as the parent unit. I'm hoping it's not the case (and any unit 20+ can), but if we want to make use of those abilities we may be forced in that direction anyway (Again, no lack of battleline units).

Lastly, it seems some scenarios are giving objective claiming priority to units with 20 or more models. I don't really see the merit in taking more than 20 Greatswords in a single unit, so the meta of 'hordes' may effectively shift us to want to compete in that area as well.

That being said, it's certainly not without merit. Maybe something like this would actually end up being quite decent (But then, a lot of that power is probably coming from the Hurricanum).

3x Freeguild General

20x Greatswords - Battleline

20x Greatswords - Battleline (or another 30 Crossbows?)

30x Crossbows - Battleline

3x5 Outriders/Pistoliers (or maybe 4x10 Archers as chaff and adding long ranged shooting - but then, in this case you're not actually getting anything out of the Greatswords being battleline)

Celestial Hurricanum

Loving the new points!  Particularly pleased that the General on Griffon is getting a points decrease!  He's great but I always felt he was very expensive for what he did and limited me elsewhere.

A quick question. I notice that people are regularly putting several Freeguild Generals in their army - is there a reason for this other than the fact you get two in the pack ?  :). I feel I'm missing something crucial! 

An allied unit that will be very useful is the Luminark. 

It stays at 240 and it can bring carnage in hordes with a damage potential of up to 15 wounds. Plus, it makes our hordes more sustainable and can cast other spells.

14 hours ago, Duck1986 said:

A quick question. I notice that people are regularly putting several Freeguild Generals in their army - is there a reason for this other than the fact you get two in the pack ?  :). I feel I'm missing something crucial!

It's probably as insurance for Hero based battleplans (ensuring we're not entirely screwed in case of hero sniping) and for Battleshock (the Stately War Banner stacks very nicely with our unit banners and the Order ability)

16 hours ago, Duck1986 said:

a quick question. I notice that people are regularly putting several Freeguild Generals in their army - is there a reason for this other than the fact you get two in the pack ?  :). I feel I'm missing something crucial! 

Freeguild General on Horse is rubbish in combat, and adds value from behind the line. 

Freeguild General on Griffon is a great combat monster but he moves too far away from your battleline. 

I make the General on Horse my actual General and leverage their command trait. 

Just to throw in my opinion.

Mainly because Freeguild lack other hero options outside compendium. At the end of the day, there are certain battleplans that will require heroes to achieve victory, so you need to take heroes. If the only hero options to you are the Freeguild General and General on Griffon, well, those are your options, and you take what you get.

Previously you'd likely also have a Hurricanum as a hero as well, but with new allegiance abilities you may not want to go mixed Order anymore (Or restricted to just a Hurricanum). Personally I will be trying out an artillery battery initially, so I'll need to take extra Freeguild Generals to bolster my hero count.

I think if anything, that's what Freeguild are missing at the moment. I'd love to see Markus Wulfheart come back as a generic hero, and some kind of Freeguild General on Demigryph option also.

On 21-8-2017 at 1:26 PM, MrCharisma said:

Based on the French leak it seems Demigryphs Knights and Greatswords are battleline if Allegiance Free People? Interesting 

I don't want to ruin your enthousiasme. But from the photos in France, only behind our current battleline units, is printed "ligne" which translates as line. The star in front of the units, I believe you might have interpreted as battleline units, points out which units have been lowered in cost.

Sorry if I am mistaken about your assumptions.

3 hours ago, Blitzel said:

Sorry if I am mistaken about your assumptions.

...and this is why you don't let an Australian translate languages. We're on a tiny island, surrounded by English speaking folk, and look for the quickest route to a beer. 

I wouldn't be running Demi's or Greatswords as battleline, but I apprecaite your translation 

I am really excited for the Freeguild changes. They embrace what makes the army have its character and fun to play, and give it a fighting chance in fights as itself.  I am probably not the only one who found more success running Free Peoples as battleline then using other Order units as my fast attack or elite units. 

Now I have a chance to have a more successful Free Peoples army.  This makes me happy since they are my favorite thematically. With the new points and Great Company rules, I can even see a lot more purpose for a higher percentage of melee troops. 

I am going to try 40 Guards with Swords, 40 Guards with Halberds, 20 Greatswords (eventually I think I'll get 30), and 40 Handgunners. Put all of these in battalions with commanders, mages, and some demigryph in support and see how it goes.  

The possibilities just got better. 

It looks like we get a truly strong core force. Which enemies will be reluctant to charge head on. 

I might want to field 40 spearmen. As such a big unit could take advantage of their increased attack range, together with hold the line, that are a lot of attack still hitting on 2's even under 30 models. 

Also I love my 5th edition spearmen. I am still wondering wgat to do with my steam tank though..

I am really digging our allegiance ability! Great news all in all!

How about something like this?

General on horse

General on griffon 

Volkmar the grim (has free peoples as keyword)

Amber wizard (ally)

- grand company - 

40 spearmen

20 crossbows

20 greatswords

---

10 handgunners

10 pistoliers

Steam tank (ally)

1980 points in total

Griffon and pistoliers form a gaat task force. Going to Apply pressure somewhere. Tank guard a flank, the rest just marches to objectives and murder anyone who gets close..

One thing I really like about the Great Companies is that'll really help to alleviate the impact of the Double Turn. Unless we get outflanked and our ranged units get charged we'll always be able to get a shot off (and even then we still have our Pipers incase we get outflanked or our Guard line breaks on the second turn). One problem I do see is we'll be more vulnerable to shooting that outranges ours, as we'll be loosing access to the long range artillery we'd normally use to fight back to get these benefits (as the allies limit doesn't allow a lot of leeway).

Also is anyone going to consider a big block of Militia as a supporting unit? 40 shots at +2/+4 (though degrading), getting even stronger with Hold The Line! and serving as a backup melee unit incase our first line gets breached sounds pretty decent.

Archived