Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

17 hours ago, Dotification said:

Is it me, or should Archers be a touch cheaper than their fellow ranged cohorts, like they were in 8th??  (I've only ever considered taking them to pair with Markus Wulfhart from The Empire/Compendium.)  It seems like people only ever consider Crossbowmen or Handgunners in this role, no matter what the unit size . . .

Archers just don't cut it compared to Crossbowmen and Handgunners but they do have extra range and an extra move. Markus doesn't buff them anymore (sadly). I've taken units of 20 archers in a few games but I don't think I found 200pts of value.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of me thinks a 20+ unit of Beardy Warriors w/ Great-weapons, and a 80 pt. Runelord buffing them could push real solidly @ 6++ or Rend -2, especially if you can get a Mystic Shield on their Re-roll failed Saves Shield-wall.  Especially if the 2 groups of FG Handgunners/X-bow-men could shoot over their heads, + the "they're coming right at us!" stand & shoot.  

Then if you have 80 points to spare then stick a squad of FG Guard/Militia squad to watch their backs, &/or a Gryph-hound to guard their flanks.

22 minutes ago, Hugh Halligan said:

MrCharisma I have been looking at including the lore master to use on the hellrocket launcher and the general on griffon. What are you using your lore master on?

I'm primarily using the Loremaster to boost the Carmine Dragon. Check out the warscroll and you'll see why. 

General on Griffon could be a good use for it. You really need something that has a load of attacks and serious damage potential. 

Question, how do you guys use the Piper's abilities in the ranged units? I think it could be devastatingly powerful. Have a big block of Handgunners, and even if they get charged they still get to launch a full salvo before the unit even hits, potentially crippling them in their own turn. Even better if they charge some chaff and you "Overwatch" over their heads!

14 hours ago, Malfunct Bot said:

Question, how do you guys use the Piper's abilities in the ranged units? I think it could be devastatingly powerful. Have a big block of Handgunners, and even if they get charged they still get to launch a full salvo before the unit even hits, potentially crippling them in their own turn. Even better if they charge some chaff and you "Overwatch" over their heads!

Where possible, I attempt to have them NOT be charged... but rather sit 1-2 inches behind my Swordmen. At the end of the charge the enemy will be engaged base to base with my swordmen, and if positioned correctly, will be within range for the crossbow/hangunners to be in range for a range of shots before combat begins

19 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

Where possible, I attempt to have them NOT be charged... but rather sit 1-2 inches behind my Swordmen. At the end of the charge the enemy will be engaged base to base with my swordmen, and if positioned correctly, will be within range for the crossbow/hangunners to be in range for a range of shots before combat begins

Yeah, that's what I meant, surround them with chaff and shoot over the chaff. It's a surprisingly powerful ability I don't see mentioned that often.

On 3/27/2017 at 8:59 AM, MrCharisma said:

I'm primarily using the Loremaster to boost the Carmine Dragon. Check out the warscroll and you'll see why. 

General on Griffon could be a good use for it. You really need something that has a load of attacks and serious damage potential. 

Just looked at the Carmine Dragon, its pretty awsome!! However, a lot of points for one model which is a bit of a risk. The breath attack is crazy, you must deal some serious mortal wounds out? If I do take a loremaster, I would want a least 2-3 models I can use his spell on.   

@Hugh Halligan it is a lot of points but it's my primary weapon against big hitting opponents. I played in a mini-tournament over the weekend and the Dragon ripped apart a Stardrake that had been terrorising people in a single turn. It's also had success ripping up Durthu and Monghoul. It's a true hammer to my battleline anvil 

On 28-3-2017 at 2:35 PM, Hugh Halligan said:

Just looked at the Carmine Dragon, its pretty awsome!! However, a lot of points for one model which is a bit of a risk. The breath attack is crazy, you must deal some serious mortal wounds out? If I do take a loremaster, I would want a least 2-3 models I can use his spell on.   

The TLA will benefit in combat and shooting phases. Drycha has lots of mediocre rolls and will benefits greatly from that spell.

Oops forgot I was visiting freeguild topic and not in " MY " sylvaneth topic. I guess it would work on artillery too,

On 4/4/2017 at 9:05 AM, Aezeal said:

The TLA will benefit in combat and shooting phases. Drycha has lots of mediocre rolls and will benefits greatly from that spell.

Oops forgot I was visiting freeguild topic and not in " MY " sylvaneth topic. I guess it would work on artillery too,

I often find that I use the Lore Master on my Luminark when the Dragon is out of range. It's often critical that I land that 6 wounds into a key monster/hero/buff unit.

Speaking of empire, something that in thinking of trying is 3 or 4 rocket batteries with a huricanum and a luminark to make a solid gunline with the empire general

huricanum buffs to hit and luminark buffs by provided 6+ save for those vulnerable weapons crew

with the empire generals command ability you are hitting on 2s wounding on 2s, -2 rend and d6 damage each

If you take 3 rockets its 9 shots 12 for 4

Hi Fellclaw01,

while the ability of the Hurricanum affects all units with the keyword "Order", the Empire Generals Command Ability only helps Free Peoples, no Ironweld Arsenal - so that won't work...

As I'm new to AoS and struggle to convert my 8th Ed Empire Army into the new format, where do you see the Free People comp-wise? Most People in my area play 40k and the AoS-Meta seems to be dominated by the new Battletomes like SE, Sylvaneth etc ... They all seem to pack more punch than the humble humans...

3 hours ago, Steini said:

I'm new to AoS and struggle to convert my 8th Ed Empire Army into the new format, where do you see the Free People comp-wise? Most People in my area play 40k and the AoS-Meta seems to be dominated by the new Battletomes like SE, Sylvaneth etc ... They all seem to pack more punch than the humble humans...

Many opposition Generals won't be familiar with your list, so you start with an advantage. Old Empire is a dangerous force but it took me a while to find my stride. In recently weeks I've been Major Victory'ing SCE and Sylvaenth

Can you elaborate how and what units to use? I am currently painting the Hurricanum but what about others? Horde armies seem to be an misadvantage...

What about legacy units like Knights that I like a lot?

how do you deal with the abilities to deep strike/ Board control that f.e. Sylvaneth has? 

Gryph-Hounds? Their warning cry is nice. Especially with our good shooting.

They are also quite fast and can put pressure on objectives so those pesky tree hippies will have to react.

@MrCharisma, would you share your list on how ypu took down the metal giants? :) and how did you play? Defensive or more offensive?

4 hours ago, Blitzel said:

Gryph-Hounds? Their warning cry is nice. Especially with our good shooting.

They are also quite fast and can put pressure on objectives so those pesky tree hippies will have to react.

@MrCharisma, would you share your list on how ypu took down the metal giants? :) and how did you play? Defensive or more offensive?

By metal Giants i assume you mean Stormcast?

Stormcast armies come in many forms, however; my strategy revolves around dealing mortal wounds, exploiting their low bravery, and restricting their special deployment tactics. 

I'm a massive fan of Free Guild with Swords having 4+ save with a re-roll of 1's. Knowing a sky deployment is coming, I run my Swordmen in a block of 30, and can apply a Mystic Shield (bringing them down to 3+), as well as a 6+ additional ward save from a Luminark of Hysh. Throw down an Inspiring Presence and you have an unbreakable wall.

I'll counter punch with Handgunners or Crossbowmen with their Counter Charge ability, usually taking down a model or two before the combat begins. 

Using a Hurricanum and the Free Guild General's hold the line ability will mean your troops are likely hitting on 2+ and wounding on 3+. Being on 25mm bases means you can get two ranks of attacks with Swords, or three if you include a unit of Spears. 

The Hurricanum & Luminark can belt out enough mortal wounds to take down most centre piece model, and if the troops do survive you should be able to get a few more to run due to battleshock. Note: you might need to take out the Stardrake which gives them a battleshock bubble. 

I use the Luminark 30" range to weaken the dudes which the big SCE crossbowmen (6 mortal wounds per shot), or use the Luminark beam plus the Storm of Shemtek/Comets of Cassadora to take down those centre piece models. 

Again, it depends on the mix of the opponents army. I've defeated a army full of shooters, armies that fall from the sky, and ones that have a lot of those dudes riding the dragon mounts. I'm a Hammer & Anvil type player... and you just need to take out their buffs as quickly as possible. 

Here is a photo from the vaults when facing SCE with the new battletome. 

My troops moved forward to meet the opponent in the middle, being within 10" of the Hurricanum buff, and the handgunners within 3" to counter charge. 

Once the Stardrake and Fumilators (?) hit combat, I flew in my Carmine Dragon, Demigryphs Knights and concentrated fire from the Hurricanum. 

IMG_8011.JPG

First, let me preface my thoughts by mentioning my local meta/monthly tournament is heavy on Ironjawz, Stormcast, mixed Destruction, & soon Tzeentch.  So lots of 30" shooting, magic/mortal wounds on tables rather lacking in terrain sadly.

My plan centers around a C. Hurricanum & Luminark*, w/ 2 min. squads of Handgunners shield-walled by an "anvil" of 20 Dwarf Warriors w/ great weapons, shields, & a runic icon, supported by a Runepriest for either an extra 6++ or Rend -2.  The "hammers" of my army are FG Gen. on Griffon (Rend -2 hammer & shield) + a unit of SC Fulminators.  Support heroes include a Knight Heraldor for the Fulm.'s & tree-bursts, + a Life Wizard for heals/6++'s.  Oh, & a unit of Dwarf Miners to tunnel onto/threaten a distant objective.  Finally; a gryph-hound to watch each flank, or chaff up as needed.

I would like to run 30+ FG Swordsmen as my anvil but for 2 reasons;

-FG Handgunners can draw Line of Sight over the heads of the stunties better

-that BS Tz. spell that does Mortal Wounds to every model in a unit on a 4+ (nice power creep, GW.)  The Warriors' (& Miners') Runic Icons at least give me a 1/3 chance to ignore nukes like that, & the Luminark's 6++ bubble should save a few more.

*my original list had an Aelf Archmage to bubble his 6++ spell, plus a H. Rocket Battery to help my Hurricanum target Bloodsecrators, Savage Orruk Bosses & other force multiplier-Heroes, but damn, the 30" Damage 6 laser array is fun on a bun, coupled with the 6++ forcefield & +1 to dispell bubble for the points, & having a free leader spot to take the anti-horde spell (3 d3 M.W.'s on units of 20+ models.)

Archived