Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

So... I've dug up the FAQ that I've vaguely have referred to.

Q: How do you determine what models and units make up a warscroll battalion? When is it based on a keyword and when is it a unit name?
A: When a 
warscroll battalion is referring to a keyword, it appears in Keyword Bold. Otherwise, it is referring to the name of a unit

• Empire State Troops hold the keywords: ORDER, HUMAN, FREE PEOPLE, STATE REGIMENT, STATE TROOPS
  • Free Guild Guard hold the keywords: ORDER, HUMAN, FREE PEOPLES, FREEGUILD GUARD

State Troop Battallion requires the following models;

• 1 Empire General or General of the Empire on Imperial Griffon
  • 3 units of State Troops, Handgunners, Crossbowmen or Empire Archers, in any combination
  • 1 unit of Greatswords, Pistoliers or Outriders

Free Guild don't hold either the 'State Troop' keyword nor the names of the units. 

Again, I can't stress enough how I want to be wrong. I hate the Free Guild battalion and it forces me to take units that I don't normally run in a 2,000pt army... so I don't take it. I've been playing in tournament and it would definitely give me a boost if I could run the State Troop Detachment batallion

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MrCharisma said:

So... I've dug up the FAQ that I've vaguely have referred to.

Q: How do you determine what models and units make up a warscroll battalion? When is it based on a keyword and when is it a unit name?
A: When a 
warscroll battalion is referring to a keyword, it appears in Keyword Bold. Otherwise, it is referring to the name of a unit

• Empire State Troops hold the keywords: ORDER, HUMAN, FREE PEOPLE, STATE REGIMENT, STATE TROOPS
  • Free Guild Guard hold the keywords: ORDER, HUMAN, FREE PEOPLES, FREEGUILD GUARD

State Troop Battallion requires the following models;

• 1 Empire General or General of the Empire on Imperial Griffon
  • 3 units of State Troops, Handgunners, Crossbowmen or Empire Archers, in any combination
  • 1 unit of Greatswords, Pistoliers or Outriders

Free Guild don't hold either the 'State Troop' keyword nor the names of the units. 

Again, I can't stress enough how I want to be wrong. I hate the Free Guild battalion and it forces me to take units that I don't normally run in a 2,000pt army... so I don't take it. I've been playing in tournament and it would definitely give me a boost if I could run the State Troop Detachment batallion

I think you've misunderstood what I was trying to say.

You are correct that Free Guild and State Troops are not the same, no arguement there.

Therefore to use the State Troop battalion you will need to use the Empire Compendium to run the army. This is in fact viable according to the GW Store Manager I spoke to, he stated that the Freeguild Guard and State Troops share the same point values, therefore the State Troops do in fact have a point value for use in matched play. 

I think this makes sense as why would the battalion have points in the GHB if you can't even use it?

Even though it's all a bit of a mess, for now I'm going to assume the above is correct. Hopefull GWHQ will get back to me with the official answer soon enough. 

Maybe it all clears up in GHB II.

I am still tinkering with my first 2000 point list for matched play. I drwamt this up, this time.

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Freeguild General On Griffon (300)
- General
- Trait: Strategic Genius
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Excelsior Warpriest (80)
- Artefact: Talisman of Blinding Light

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
20 x Freeguild Guard (160) - halberds & shields
10 x Freeguild Guard (80) - militia weapons 

Units
3 x Demigryph Knights (200)
- Lance and Sword
10 x Freeguild Pistoliers (280)
20 x Freeguild Greatswords (320)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

War Machines
Steam Tank (300)

Total: 2000/2000

I thought the general could take a flank with the pistoliers and demigryphs. The battleline units hold the centre  (militia guard could go for objectives) and greatswords are there to follow the general if they get in trouble and to deter threats. 

The gryph hounds are there to be set up near shooting units in the beginning and quickly react to fast threats. I could drop them for more free guild guard.

I am searvhing for more demigryph knights and swordsmen at the moment. But they are not in my possession yet.

@Blitzel Like your thinking with that list, I've made a few changes that I would consider for myself which makes it more a gunline esque list.

Put this together with no formations being used. Still feel like it would be pretty solid.

Leaders

Freeguild General On Griffon (300)

- General

- Trait: Legendary Fighter

- Artefact: Obstinate Blade

Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (320)

Excelsior Warpriest (80)

Battleline

10 x Halberdiers (80)

Freeguild Guard

10 x Swordsmen (80)

Freeguild Guard

10 x Swordsmen (80)

Freeguild Guard

10 x Swordsmen (80)

Freeguild Guard

10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)

Units

3 x Demigryph Knights (200)

- Lance and Sword

10 x Freeguild Greatswords (160)

1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

War Machines

Steam Tank (300)

Total: 2020/2000

Flanks would be covered by the General and Demigryphs on one and the Steamtank with Halbardeers on the other. Hurricanum would be the centre piece with the Warpriest staying close and the gunline setup behind the swordsmen just in front. Greatswords would be there to move to whichever area they're needed. Lot's of small units supporting each other, something I've never really done so will be interesting to see how it plays out.. I put a Gryph hound to counter hostiles popping in.. Although I'm not sure being 20pts over is allowed in tournaments.. Never been to one but I hope to.

@Blitzel and @Taffster let us all know how you perform with your lists. I'm running this 2,000pt army this week in a mini-tournament;

LEADERS

• Helmut Von Hass (100),  GeneralFreeguild
  • Cassandra Wagner (100), Jade Battlemage
  • Steffen Bischoff (100), Amber Battlemage
  • Luminark Of Hysh With White Battlemage (240)  
  • Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (320)

UNITS

• 30x Freeguild Guard w/ Swords (240)
  • 10x Handgunners (100)
  • 10x Handgunners (100)
  • 3 x Demigryph Knights (200)
    • - Lance and Sword

BEHEMOTHS

• Carmine Dragon (480)

WOUNDS: 113 TOTAL POINTS: 1980 / 2000

Ran my 2,000pt army that I listed on Thursday, and walked away with 2 from 3 victories. 

The Luminark didn't do as much damage as I expected, however; provided significant buffs to my troops. 

The Aura of Protection combines nicely with Mystic Shield, bringing down the mortal wound save to 5+ (as well as the normal save buff). I had it on my Carmine Dragon which kept it as a 2+ base save... and would use Life Surge to keep it fully healed. 

I'll definitely use this list again BUT I'm going to switch out the 2nd wizard for a Loremaster. Their spell is sexy!

IMG_7800.JPG

IMG_7801.JPG

IMG_7802.JPG

IMG_7803.JPG

Ran my 2,000pt army that I listed on Thursday, and walked away with 2 from 3 victories. 
The Luminark didn't do as much damage as I expected, however; provided significant buffs to my troops. 
The Aura of Protection combines nicely with Mystic Shield, bringing down the mortal wound save to 5+ (as well as the normal save buff). I had it on my Carmine Dragon which kept it as a 2+ base save... and would use Life Surge to keep it fully healed. 
I'll definitely use this list again BUT I'm going to switch out the 2nd wizard for a Loremaster. Their spell is sexy!

IMG_7800.JPG.5ff0fb186d87ed65625e01f8b2843361.JPG
IMG_7801.JPG.af156f11d8182a64b06860bd9019bbdf.JPG
IMG_7802.JPG.170e4ad93e1bc59a5df182e99a4e609b.JPG
IMG_7803.JPG.37af1a3f4d2a2a26353a5a123826997a.JPG

Does mystic shield bring down your ward save? I thought it was only for normal saves!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

It says to add 1 to all save rolls

The term 'ward save' is a bit of a misnomer, and a hang over from WFB. The Aura of Protection, like a lot of the mortal wound 'saves' isn't a save roll in actuality. You roll a dice to ignore the wound. 

So, not a save roll. Sadly, this doesn't stack with Mystic Shield.

• 2 weeks later...

So, this is my list for the upcoming SCGT - essentially it's just what I have already in my collection that fits to make a 2000pt Freeguild Battalion. So, a one drop army (which, I fear, is the best thing about it!). Almost finished painting it, just got the cavalry to finish. 

I've yet to play it (trying it out tonight for the first time) and haven't used many of the units in AoS at all yet - although I have ran the Spearmen, Greatswords and Handgunner blocks before.

Very little rend output, no magic or mortal wound defense, and just the one hero makes this a very hard army to win many games with, but I do have bodies. My initial plan will be just to see if I can survive until Turn 5!

Leaders
Archgeneral Carlton Smiles-Pomley (100)
Freeguild General
- General
- Trait: Master of Defense

Battleline
10 x 9th Bowmen (The First) (100)
Freeguild Archers
20 x 14th Artillery (The Hail of Doom) (200)
Freeguild Crossbowmen
20 x 1st Spears (Spears of Destiny) (160)
Freeguild Guard
20 x 1st Halberdiers (Spoons of Destiny) (160)
Freeguild Guard
20 x The Rabble (160)
Freeguild Guard
20 x 15th Gunners (The Blackhands) (200)
Freeguild Handgunners

Units
3 x 4th Fowlers (The Feathering) (200)
Demigryph Knights
- Cavalry Halberd
20 x 7th Guildmen (The Bearded Warriors) (320)
Freeguild Greatswords
5 x 10th Cavalry (The Wise Cracks) (140)
Freeguild Outriders
5 x 11th Cavalry (The Loose Canons) (140)
Freeguild Pistoliers

Battalions
Freeguild Regiment (100)

Total: 1980/2000

First outing for these chaps last night, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were!

The General's CA makes those three units pretty strong, and the troops with shooting had a blinder! Pistoliers were also not horrendously terrible in combat! 

It looks good on the table, gave my opponent plenty to think about, and, in the right hands, could be a reasonable challenge.

Obviously, with just the one hero, it's always going to lack real power, but I was fortunate to face an Ironjaws list with very little range attacks, so my General was able to keep out of trouble. But how these troops fall when charged by Brutes! Pretty much every unit dissolved in the face of their charging bulk!

But that kind of felt right. They are just men, and whilst they can shoot whilst the enemy is far away, so much in the Mortal Realms is just too strong in combat for the Free People!

So, after just one game with the battalion, I really like the list. I always prefer playing underpowered lists - even a small victory feels like a major win! I'm really looking forward to taking this along to the Cheltenham Warchief one dayer and then onto the SCGT.?

@MrCharisma Battleplan 1 for SCGT may well be an auto lose for me I fear! All I can really hope for is that my shooting can take out a few heroes early on, but any reasonably canny opponent will just target my General and I'll be playing just for honour!

It is simply, a very weak list. But I'm not going with any expectations of being anywhere near the top tables. I've had these models for about 5 years and never got around to painting them. This year, I've made a commitment to get my whole collection painted, and so I just tried to fit everything I have into the Freeguild Formation, so the list is more of a painting project than a plan to take the SCGT title!?

The one drop does mean that I should be able to deploy reasonably effectively, and control initiative at the start of the game, and, apart from two of the Battleplans, it's bodies that count for scoring.

As long as I can give my opponents an enjoyable playing experience, I'll be happy!?

Oh, and I have no idea how to manage magic heavy armies! Hide??

I don't think the list is weak at all @The Nameless One , and I fully appreciate with playing with your favourite models... win, lose, or draw. 

I haven't been that impressed with Archers. The bonus move could be complimentary with your Demigryphs, pistolieers, and outriders. 

What do you think about dropping 10 archers, and investing the 100pts into another General? Run a Hero along with your cavalry, while another supports your battle line. 

Alternatively, add a Battlemage with Wildform (+1 wound) to buff the Greatswords. 

Just a few thoughts.  

Great points @MrCharisma?.

A wizard (and another hero or two!) would certainly fill in some of the gaps, as would a few more Handgunners - they can be deadly! 

I just like the idea of taking just the Battalion ?. My choices ultimately come down to which type of Freeguild Guard I take (I've got 40 Spearmen, 20 Halberdiers, 20 Swordsmen, and 30 Militia to play around with), whether I take a General on foot, a horse, or a Griffon, and what size units I take! But I'm committed to self comp myself with just the Freeguild Battalion, so my options are limited.

I am attending a 1500pt tournament, and I am am not sure whether investing 300pts into a unit of 30 crossbowmen is too much of a point sink. Their potential damage output with x2 shooting (with the support from the general and the hurricanum abilities) is super powerful. Thats 60 shots hitting on 2s, wounding on 3s and rending on 5+, which works out an average of 18.5 wounds after saves!! However, as soon as they are knocked down below 20 models they cannot shoot twice and become a lot less effective. I am debating whether to remove the crossbows and add more demi's and knights to increase the speed of the army.  

My current list looks this:

General 100

Hurricanum 320

Crossbows x 30 300pts

Handgunner x 10 100pts

Hangunner x 10 100pts 

Swordmen x 10 80pts

Swordmen x 10 80pts

Swordmen x 10 80pts 

Demi x 3 200pts

Knights x5 140pts

1500pts

What do you guys think of crossbows?

@Hugh Halligan I don't think you have enough characters. 

I'm a big fan of crossbows and normally run 20-30. I hide them 3" behind a block of swordmen, and leverage the stand and shoot rule as the swords brace for combat. It's deadly. 

Depending on what models you own,I would;

- bundle your swordmen into a single unit

- drop 10 Handgunners and grab a wizard 

Archived