Path of the Changer

Changer

Tzeentch be praised!! Welcome to my Tzeentch AoS PLOG.

To start with, a little background.  I'm based in Manchester in the UK and I've been on these forums for a few months now, mainly as a lurker but also an occasional poster.  I've recently moved house and have been itching to get back into painting - all of my stuff has been packed up for a couple of months now.  The birth of my son last year really impacted the amount of time I had to paint; but I suppose that's what comes with fatherhood.  I've decided to start this PLOG to give me an additional incentive to find time to paint - I'm a painter first with my hobby, and a gamer second.  I've been to numerous Throne of Skulls tournaments held at Warhammer World, where my armies have been nominated for best painted twice and I've won the coveted award once.  I'm a perfectionist, and I've been known to strip a model and start again just because I've not been able to get a blend right.

Anyway, enough of that rubbish.

My favourite Chaos god has always been Tzeentch; the magic, the mystery, and the fact that even in the face of losing game after game I know that it's all part of Tzeentchs' plan.

I've had Silver Tower since it was released - I love all of the models in that box and really wanted those to form the basis of my AoS force.  I want my force to be striking, and draw the eye - basically, I'm aiming to paint an award winning force again.  I've decided to start by painting the Gaunt Summoners (I have both the one on foot and on disc) and the familiars to get a feel for an overall colour scheme.  From these, I'm starting with the familiars - basically because if I ****** them up I have replicas from the box.  So without further ado, here's a completed Blot, and a WIP of Slop.  Bases will be completed at a later date, once we have a better idea of how the realm of metal looks.

C&C is always welcome.

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a small update from the last few days - I've managed to finish Slop to a standard that I'm happy with.  This is my first proper foray into brighter colours, and it look me a while to get my head around the yellow.  Overall I'm happy - one of my mates asked if I was doing anything fancy with the eyes instead of just a colour.  I'm not sure about doing anything.  I quite like the vacant look that comes with a large coloured orb.

What do you think?

Moving onto Tweak next.

IMG_1555.JPG

Looks great! I agree - definitely a fan of the vacant eyes. My only possible suggestion would be to add some spotting to the underside or some other area - just very subtle using your low tone. Just an idea - feel free to ignore ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Basing - a topic I'm very particular with.  I like to create bases that have a little bit of character, not a simple sand and paint job.  In the past I've used slate, made replicas of a ruined city, and littered a broken dessert with scarabs and white scar body parts.  To me, they're an important part of the model itself, and putting a little effort in can go a long way.

I've previously mentioned that I'd like to have my bases in the realm of Chamon; but as we don't really know much about how that looks yet I'll have to experiment.  I'm thinking of using a combination of cork, sand and cracked earth, with a light blue colour coming from the depths.  Blue will be a predominant colour throughout my army (it is Tzeentch after all!) and I think it'll tie in quite nicely on a base.

For now, I'm experimenting with colours on the cracked area of a base.  The images below show my progress from last night - from top left to bottom right, the colours are:

Blue Horror with Guilliman Blue lines

Temple Guard Blue with White lines

Blue Horror on it's own

Temple Guard Blue on it's own.

Each of the bases was then given a liberal coating of Agrellan Earth, and Mechanicus Standard Grey was added when the Agrellan Earth was set, but not cracked - something I picked up from a video tutorial from Warhammer TV a while back.

The last image shows the result of these tests - and a square base which just had Agrellan Earth and then Mechanicus Standard Grey brushed over the top once it had cracked.  In terms of the colour showing through, I think I prefer the Blue Horror on it's own - I had thought that adding some lines of different colours might show through in some way but it doesn't appear to have done much.  It's also interesting to see that adding a colour over the top of the Agrellan Earth seems to have prevented the paint from cracking quite as much as on it's own.  I'm quite liking the method, but I'm going to have to see what it looks like with sand and cork on the base too.

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG

Another small update today - I've started working on Tweak.  I've been thinking about using yellow as a spot colour for any robes / cloth in my force, as it not only contrasts very nicely with the generic Tzeentch blue, but should make it quite a striking force to look at from all distances.

I've had a copy of the Eavy Metal Masterclass for the Space Marine Librarian for a while now, and I've used the recipe for yellow from there:

50/50 Averland Sunset / Yriel Yellow

Sepia Wash

Carroburg Crimson in deep recesses

Yriel Yellow

50/50 Yriel Yellow / Screaming Skull

Screaming Skull highlights

White Scar highlights

From there I've also applied a glaze of Lamenters Yellow.  I do however think that this reduced the effect of the Screaming Skull highlights a little bit so I may not use that step again in the future.

I think I'll leave the beak black - highlighted up to Fenrisian Grey and a spot of white.  Then I'm thinking of making the feathers bright colours - some combination of red/green/yellow maybe.  This again will be repeated throughout the force should the model contain a feather, such as on the Gaunt Summoners and some of the Pink Horrors.

C&C is welcome as always.

IMG_1591.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

I finished working on Tweak over the weekend, and I'm really happy with how he came out.  Throughout my years painting miniatures I haven't really done much in terms of blending colours into each other.  When painting transitions I generally go for the glazing approach.  For Tweak, and therefore for my Tzeentch force as a whole, I've decided to try something new - I've gone for the two brush approach to blending his head feathers, starting with Flash Gitz Yellow, and gradually adding more Alaitoc Blue all the way to pure Blue.  Tell a lie, I did do some glazing, using Lamenters Yellow and Guilliman Blue once I had 'finished' with the main blend.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

On some of the larger feathers, such as those on the Gaunt Summoners I think I'm going to push past the blue and into magenta; just to give the feathers another dash of colour.  I didn't think I had enough room on this model to push it to four colours, and I think I made the right decision stopping where I did.

My aim is to get Pug painted up this week.  I'm not sure whether I should paint his skin yellow (to match the bad moon and old school painting scheme for the older model) or to paint the cloth areas yellow and maybe paint his skin a light blue.  I'm liking the idea of using yellow as a spot colour within the force, and had originally planned to paint the cloth areas of the force in yellow, but looking at Pug I just can't decide.

Once Pug is complete, I'll then probably paint up the Slaughterpriest that is coming with my White Dwarf - I get the feeling that we'll be seeing a lot of that model over the next month or so, so I might as well jump onto that bandwagon!!

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG

I've painted Pug over the weekend.  It's a good job that you get two of each of the familiars in Silver Tower, as I completely messed up the first Pug.  I had wanted to paint the skin yellow to match a colour scheme I'd seen knocking around based on the original Pug model (from way back in the day), but then got half way through and decided that I really wanted yellow robes throughout the force.

I think the yellow robes have turned out well, and I'm really happy with my colour choices with the black decorative bits on the cloth, and the blue flames on the cuffs of the gloves.  The skin colour is a tester for when I eventually do the Tzaangors; the recipe being:

Fenrisian Grey

Drankenhof Nightshade thinned with Medium

Fenrisian Grey

50:50 Fenrisian Grey : Screaming Skull

Screaming Skull

The certain areas such as the face have had some glazes of thinned down Druchii Violet, which I think turned out really well.

Overall I'm really happy with how all of the familiars have turned out.  Next in the force will be the first of my two Gaunt Summoners.  However, with the free Slaughterpriest from the White Dwarf, and the fact that my local GW is doing a painting competition based on that model, I've got to paint that first.

The ritual bloodletting required to build a champion of Khorne was followed correctly. BFTBG!!

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

The Free Slaughterpriest

Ok, so time for a little Khorne.  I've seen so many of the hackblade Slaughterpriest over the last week that I've decided that a conversion is needed.  To start with, I've removed the Fimir skull from under the right boot.  This has gone onto a new base I've created - I found a couple of plinths I order about a year ago and thought it'd be nice to actually use on of them!  The rest of the base is just cork and a few skulls I had knocking about from a Chaos Space Marine sprue.

The pose of the Slaughterpriest screamed 'add a banner' to me.  To do this, I've removed the hackblade and carefully drilled a hole through what was the haft of the blade.  Next came the tricky part - I knew I wanted to use the Khorne banner top from the Chaos Space Marine sprue, but the problem is that the banner pole is far too thick; even for a model the size of the Slaughterpriest.  Instead, I've use two old drill bits.  One is glued into the top of the hole in the hand, whereas the bottom is actually glued to the base at the right angle.  When the model is put onto the base, the top-most part of the drill bit just slots into the bottom of the hole in the hand quite nicely.

To get the right angle, I've had to twist the plastic wrist.  I was a bit worried that I'd end up snapping the hand off the arm, but I think it turned out quite well.  The top of the banner is (as noted above) from the Chaos Space Marine sprue, attached to the drill bit using the top part of the banner pole from the Chaos Space Marine kit.

I still need to add some greenstuff to the new banner pole to pad it out a little bit, but overall I'm really happy with the effect.

Does it need anything else?

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG

love the familiars, the colours are fantastic. And the slaughterpriest is cool too.

Will be working on mine this weekend and planned on trying to turn him into banner bearer as well. But going to try to convert to a greenskin model by swapping the head for an orc head and covering the khorne symbol with something.

Wow. Your work is brilliant, a treat to see. Thank you for sharing your colours too as the yellow is fantastic and the dark blue/pale blue is a colour I would like to use on a few things. What is the two brush method? You should check the painting competition here on the forum for the slaughter priest. Not considering converting him into a tzeentch champion?

For the two brush method I basically had one brush which contained my colour, and another which was kept moist to feather and smooth the blend.

In regards to the Slaugherpriest, I feel like my FOMO (fear of missing out) attitude has gotten the better of me.  I wanted to get this model painted up simply because it seemed like everyone else was.  I had started putting some paint onto the model before I realised two things:

1. I don't get tons of time to paint due to work and family, and therefore
  2. When I do paint, I should be painting towards something I want.

I want a great looking Tzeentch force, primarily for Age of Sigmar, but also for 40k at some point (****** plastic thousand sons will bankrupt me when they are released!!).  I'd ideally like a Tzeentch AoS force fully painted that I'm happy with by the middle of next year, so that I can plan to go to a tournament or two at Warhammer World.

With that in mind, the Slaughterpriest has been placed in my 'I will paint these one day' box; along with:

• Wurzag
  • Blood Angel Terminator Captain
  • Still in blister Limited Edition Eldar Bonesinger
  • Eldar Seer Council

These are all models that I love, but have never found the time to justify giving them a great paint job.  I already have an idea that some of them won't ever get painted - after all, when is an army finished? But they're there for that rainy day.

So, back to Tzeentch.  No pictures today, but I can say that I've undercoated my next two projects - the Gaunt Summoner from Silver Tower, and the Changeling!

With Khorne purged from my system, this weekend I've been able to get on with painting my Gaunt Summoner from Silver Tower.  Painting this weekend has pretty much consisted with me agonising over the hue of the yellow blend on the robes.

I've followed the same recipe that I used for Tweak and Pug, but I just couldn't get it to a stage that I was happy with.  At one point I gave up adding any additional glazes and instead started on the feathers and and armour.  I'm really happy with how the feathers came out.  The blend is really nice in the flesh, but the original highlights I added didn't pop enough.  In the end I added a highlight of Screaming Skull, followed by dots of White Scar which has given the feathers an almost reflective feeling.  Somehow, the Screaming Skull highlight works across all of the colours I've used on the feathers.

With the feathers done, and the armour started, I looked back at the robes; adding a thin line of blue (fading to black in the recesses, almost) all around the bottom of the robes.  It's such a small change, but it adds that 'something' that I was looking for with them.

The shoulder pads of this Gaunt Summoner are the top and bottom of a skull - do I paint them as bone, or do I paint them gold to match the rest of the armour that he's wearing?

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

Awesome paint jobs throughout. And thank you for your detailed paint recipes, if only I had the skill to take advantage of them.

I'd paint the shoulder pads to match the rest of the armour. I've never really thought that bone goes well with Tzeentch, and your relatively limited palette is adding to the look of your growing army in my opinion.

I'll be watching your blog for inspiration - I'm having trouble establishing the look of the Tzeentch component of my own multi-god chaos horde.

MGP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Small update today.  Opted to go for bone on the shoulders - I think it works quite well, it just needs to be highlighted to white.  I've also done the majority of the gold armour, which again just needs it's top highlight of silver.  Once that is done, I'll see if I need to deepen some of the recesses.  The newer GW gold paints are so much better than the older ones.

I'm going to paint the eyes on the armour, and want a slight glow effect on the eyes of the skull on the shoulder pad.  Colour suggestions?

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

All the eyes on the model (including the ones on the summoner's helmet) to be painted the same colour and style as each other, implying that the summoner (and/or Tzeentch) is seeing all?

Yellow eyes with cat pupils would compliment the models existing colours and look suitably inhuman.

I'm thinking of doing the Summoners eyes yellow as per the 'Eavy Metal model.  They've done the eyes on the armour with a green glow along with the dagger and the staff.  I'm not sure if the eyes on the armour should have pupils in themselves, or just glow to show that they're imbued with power? 

Thanks for your comments so far.  I've got another update for you this morning.

It's amazing how little painting you can get done whilst looking after an 11 month old baby.  Normally I'll get a couple of hours done on a Saturday whilst he's asleep, but this weekend I had to introduce my brother to Silver Tower.  It was a pretty good game, having managed to get through the first dungeon after 2 attempts - we rolled a double 1 or double 6 most turns; during the first run through we got to the second room, then got the Skaven guy, a Pink Horror, and then the bloody Ogroid turned up an pummelled us in the end!!!

Anyway, onto the progress.  I've managed to paint the armour blue - I had originally intended to paint the armour with 'reflective dots' - blending up to a white dot on some of the flat areas of the armour.  I wussed out big style.  Instead I've painted it with the 'classic' line highlights on the sharper edges.  I've opted to keep the armour fairly dark, the recipe being:

• Kantor Blue
  • 50:50 Kantor Blue : Abadon Black watered down with medium and used as a wash all over.
  • Kantor Blue blended up from the dark blue/black.
  • Edge highlight of Altdorf Guard Blue.
  • Edge highlight of 50:50 Altdorf Guard Blue : Fenrisian Grey.
  • Sharp edge highlight / dots of the previous colour 50 : 50 with White Scar.

I really like the dark colour, and how it contrasts with the yellow I've used on the robe.

I've finished the book - god it's a pain to paint small details like that.  Once I've done the flame I'll add some OSL to the pages.  The pommel of the dagger has been completed - I've decided that all of the eyes on the model will be yellow, and that the staff will be a Pink Horror that the Summoner turned into his staff because it got in his way!  It gives me a good opportunity to try out my Pink Horror skin recipe again.  Speaking of the staff, the bloody thing snapped in half over the weekend.  I've had to give it back together, then file it down, add a couple of coats of liquid green stuff, and finally use an emery board to get a polished finish again.  Fortunately you now can't see the break.

The final thing I've done over the weekend is the green glow.  I started doing this by painting the eyes white, then mixing a green and applying it as a glaze.  From here I added a little screaming skull, and another glaze or three.  A final glaze of pure screaming skull was followed up with around 3 glazes of Lamenters Yellow.  Overall I think the affect works really well. 

IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

Archived