Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

6 hours ago, Enoby said:

Hmmm... looks interesting. I'm torn between Destruction (as it looks badly put together) and Chaos (because skin capes are in). Reminds me of Fabius Bile. 

Screenshot_20180710-143506_Facebook.jpg

Fabius's cloak, for reference:

Screenshot_20180710-143919_Chrome.jpg

It could be a new fabius bile mini,  to be released with new emperors children... he’ll be wanting to experiment with the primarius marines I guess? I’m not that familiair with 40k fluff though...

1 hour ago, elfhead said:

It could be a new fabius bile mini,  to be released with new emperors children... he’ll be wanting to experiment with the primarius marines I guess? I’m not that familiair with 40k fluff though...

Well Fabius Bile isn't part of the EC legion anymore since he left it to do his own stuff, I think narratively speaking he going to be use by GW to Make Primaris Chaos Space marine for Abaddon and the Black legion to get them on scale with their counterparts

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, syph0n said:

You need to factor in development time and costs. Production costs. This might be quite different, even if the volume of plastic is the same.

I think we're all aware by now that it's a pricy hobby and the sets we spend 50 quid on might only cost 50p to make. That's not the point. 

I do, however, agree that it seems like a D20 is rolled sometimes and I do wish some kits (like Witch Aelves) were priced more "competitively" 😂

At one point (and this may have changed since I was told this), GW's pricing structure was decided prior to the models being created.  Once a concept has been decided, the sculptor gets told the box size, how many sprues of a specific size they can use and a design time.  That determines the price point and the sculptor is free to lay those sprues out however they see fit.  That's why in some cases you get loads of spare pieces and others you don't.

I was told that information by one of the sculptors at the 2016 40k Open Day so it's entirely possible that it's changed - as with anything GW though, nothing is 100% set in stone.  There are kits that have come into existence because somebody was messing around with 3d-sculpting during their lunchtime (the Taurox is one of the most well known examples of this).  Equally I'm sure that at times decisions are changed - the new Grimghast Reapers appear to have been designed to be sold in boxes of 5, but are being done as boxes of 10.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

At one point (and this may have changed since I was told this), GW's pricing structure was decided prior to the models being created.  Once a concept has been decided, the sculptor gets told the box size, how many sprues of a specific size they can use and a design time.  That determines the price point and the sculptor is free to lay those sprues out however they see fit.  That's why in some cases you get loads of spare pieces and others you don't.

I was told that information by one of the sculptors at the 2016 40k Open Day so it's entirely possible that it's changed - as with anything GW though, nothing is 100% set in stone.  There are kits that have come into existence because somebody was messing around with 3d-sculpting during their lunchtime (the Taurox is one of the most well known examples of this).  Equally I'm sure that at times decisions are changed - the new Grimghast Reapers appear to have been designed to be sold in boxes of 5, but are being done as boxes of 10.

I'm in quite a privileged position living in Nottingham that I'm both able to access WHW for hobby, but there's also a bit of cross-over with my work, and also friends who used to/do work there. I even teach a pupil whose dad is a miniature designer (will rename nameless for obvious reasons!)

The last conversation I had this year was similar to yours - but the impression I was given was that the miniatures and their design takes priority over the game and everything else. So if there's a general plan from on high, the designers seem to fit into all of that in quite a 'free' way. Obviously they're not just doing what they like, but the appeared to be a freedom to allow them to create really, really good miniatures. What I was getting at from my original post was that there's a lot going on behind scenes that means pricing isn't this random thing because something is on two sprues and so is something else, or because there's loads of bits in the box - even if it appears that way there's probably a logic to it that we're just not privy to (and shouldn't necessarily expect to be). 

I'd still maintain the hobby is a lot more expensive than I feel it should be, but I do appreciate the amount of work that goes into it behind the scenes and I love the fact the models are made in the city I live, employing lots of people. 

What are your expectations for this year's GenCon? As much as I'd love to see some new minis I don't hype myself too much. It's probably still too early for anything new but if the rumours were true, and they are lately, we are still two factions short for this year and that would be a perfect event for that. But still I'd rather expect something small, like 1 new unit per GA. 

10 minutes ago, Aryann said:

What are your expectations for this year's GenCon? As much as I'd love to see some new minis I don't hype myself too much. It's probably still too early for anything new but if the rumours were true, and they are lately, we are still two factions short for this year and that would be a perfect event for that. But still I'd rather expect something small, like 1 new unit per GA. 

Well, there are the rumored updates to older factions like the Sylvaneth, Ironjawz, Fyreslayers and Kharadron Overlords. Dropping 1 or 2 new units for these 4 factions could be done as one release as they won't cannibalize each other too much. 

• Like 3

GenCon is at the start of August, by then all or most of the new SCE and Nighthaunt stuff should be out. Would be a good time to at least tease whatever comes next.

While Gencon might not be the biggest event for Games Workshop games, it is the biggest yearly gaming event in the world.  So, I would expect that now that GW has been broadening their advertisements at various events that they will use Gencon to make a good sized announcement.  I expect that at Gencon they will probably do a combined showcase event that will tease new stuff for both Age of Sigmar and 40k - and most likely some of the smaller games as well.  They may also use it so do a huge reveal for Adeptus Titanicus or something similar.

I expect that we will get at least one full faction release tease for both 40k and AoS.  Whether that is a rewrite of an old book and a small model release or a whole new faction I cannot say.  They might show a number of small model waves for forces like Ironjawz & Fyreslayers and announce new books for them.  Or they might showcase something completely new like the rumored Moonclan.  40k could go the same way.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

There is still the Skaven release rumor which has gone silent for a long time. It came from the same source that told us about idoneth, DOK, AOS2 and shadow elves and the likes about a year ago. It would happen shortly after AOS2 release apparently. They said its mostly Skryre stuff though. I hope to see some reveals soon. Quite hobby starved for a decent skaven release! :) I hope they mix some verminus or eshin into the release as well, and just MAYBE a battletome, reuniting the clans.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Aryann said:

I think at best Gencon is going have a tease of new releases but GW is going to save the actual reveal what it is at Warhammer fest Europe which  happen a few week later.

I think the game would be much improved if GW got back to doing something with Skaven.  Such a characterful race and such a shame that they have been fairly ignored for AoS. 

But they have to wait until after grots!  😜

1 minute ago, novakai said:

I think at best Gencon is going have a tease of new releases but GW is going to save the actual reveal what it is at Warhammer fest Europe which  happen a few week later.

That would be a bit of a shame.  They should be using the broader events to expand their reach rather than just marketing to the more insular group that is already really interested in their stuff.  Gencon has a bigger audience than Warhammer Fest.

Either way I look forward to seeing what they announce at both events.

• Like 1

Id be amazed if all those factions got boosted with new releases... but I didnt believe GW would fully replace their starting range with more Sigmarines vs Ghosts and here we are! Im ready to be amazed again!

Im half expecting them to spam release updated battletomes for all the existing battletome factions like theyve done with 40k, so heres hoping new models might fit into that!!

Spam releases for battletomes would be great. I have a suspicion we might be seeing a skaven vs shadow elves boxed set at some point since both are in the ulgu realms right now, at least eshin is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Spam releases for battletomes would be great. I have a suspicion we might be seeing a skaven vs shadow elves boxed set at some point since both are in the ulgu realms right now, at least eshin is.

Been thinking the same. Eshin has been hogging the spotlight lately, ruining Nagash's grand ritual and all that.

Also super hyped about Malerion's aelves in general, so that'd probably push me to picking up a boxed set, for once.

• Like 1

36998485_841866806010114_684338319902900

Just saw this on the AoS facebook page. Slaanesh teaser, anyone?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Swooper said:

That is absurd, it is obviously a teaser for Grots.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Swooper said:

I love Hammerhal Herald. Everything they have made so far was funny!

2 hours ago, Gecktron said:

Well, there are the rumored updates to older factions like the Sylvaneth, Ironjawz, Fyreslayers and Kharadron Overlords. Dropping 1 or 2 new units for these 4 factions could be done as one release as they won't cannibalize each other too much. 

Yeah and all the rumors say they are in the planning phase and only been Berkeley mentioned. Even then some of them are dubious. Moonclan probably safe as someone on this forum mentioned there was talk at a recent event that leaked out about GW looking for painters to paintgrots. I think at a seminar they mentioned the fyre and iron jaws have little unit variety and were working on ideas for. I still can’t find the seminar in question though. The most dubious one is Kharadron as I have heard litteraly zero on any sort of source for it and think it’s bs even though I love ko and they need new models and a fixed codex.

Edited by Barkanaut

1 hour ago, Swooper said:

36998485_841866806010114_684338319902900

I love how every time Slaanesh gets a mention in anything official, Slaanesh fans instantly become excited for a possible new release. 

I think we like to be reminded that Slaanesh continues to exist. 

At least, that's how I've been feeling :P

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

Been thinking the same. Eshin has been hogging the spotlight lately, ruining Nagash's grand ritual and all that.

Also super hyped about Malerion's aelves in general, so that'd probably push me to picking up a boxed set, for once.

They also specifically mentioned Eshin in the Warhammer  TV preview of the realms, I believe they said something along the lines of Eshin lurking in the shadows of Ulgu and you may end up with a knife in your back. AOS really needs a stealthy army that isn't wanderers or vanguard stormcast.  I personally would love if Nippon culture somehow got preserved in the realm of shadows and is still actively training Eshin.

9 hours ago, Aryann said:

I don't really them doing big model releases at GenCon. I know there is some wargaming there, but it's still largely a board and card game thing and I could see GW playing to that crowd. That's the release weekend for AoS Champions, so I could see them pushing that hard there with maybe demos, giveaways, etc. Then probably boardgame and boardgame adjacent games with new announcements or new stuff for existing like Shadespire and Bloodbowl, or more info on stuff that's announced but otherwise we've heard nothing about like Blood Bowl Blitz. In fact I think this is probably the perfect venue to an unveil of BBB. On the more traditional wargaming side, if they do announce stuff, I could see them giving more info on Adeptis Titanticus maybe maybe the Rogue Trader expansion for Kill Team. But Aos, I'm guessing Shadespire and Champions are the best chances of new stuff.

12 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

Yeah and all the rumors say they are in the planning phase and only been Berkeley mentioned. Even then some of them are dubious. Moonclan probably safe as someone on this forum mentioned there was talk at a recent event that leaked out about GW looking for painters to paintgrots. I think at a seminar they mentioned the fyre and iron jaws have little unit variety and were working on ideas for. I still can’t find the seminar in question though. The most dubious one is Kharadron as I have heard litteraly zero on any sort of source for it and think it’s bs even though I love ko and they need new models and a fixed codex.

The Kharadron Rumors were the oldest as they came out close to release. GW stated back then that they sold way better than expected and that they were green lighted for expansion. But of course, no official announcement. Thats just what I read back then. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

The Kharadron Rumors were the oldest as they came out close to release. GW stated back then that they sold way better than expected and that they were green lighted for expansion. But of course, no official announcement. Thats just what I read back then. 

Sadly we do not know how long the production time is between a green light and actual release :(. I would assume a year or so? But perhaps it is much longer.

• Like 1

Just now, Kugane said:

Sadly we do not know how long the production time is between a green light and actual release :(. I would assume a year or so? But perhaps it is much longer.

Production time between the first concept and the finished model is around 2 years. Some take longer but very few take less time.

We dont know at what stage development was when they green lighted new models. If they had already done the concept art its possible to see new Kharadrons this year (1,5 years after release). 

• Like 2