Turragor's Progress

Turragor

First marauder miner painted. These models are so cool. I'd love to spend a lot of time on one but I've got to get at least 1 miner unit ready (together with a bunch more stuff) to tabletop standard before October.

So we're going to see mold lines, bad blending, splashes, thick highlights in places before I have time to do something competition level later in the year.

I've actually got 4 models built that I'd love to paint to contest level but don't have the time at the moment!

2-2016-08-21-12.32.jpg

2016-08-21-12.32.27.jpg

2016-08-21-12.32.jpg

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 2

What I like about your dracothian guard is the base. Like music, simple is more appealing. Relate that to your base for example, so many bases I've seen are clogged up for that 'wow factor' and draws the eye away from the model itself. I think you've done a smashing effort here and it has a real noble and regal feel to it. 

Edited by Dracothjay
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

What I like about your dracothian guard is the base. Like music, simple is more appealing. Relate that to your base for example, so many bases I've seen are clogged up for that 'wow factor' and draws the eye away from the model itself. I think you've done a smashing effort here and it has a real noble and regal feel to it. 

Thanks! There's a few grass tufts on each now to match the theme of the rest of the army but the idea that less (well executed) is more for bases is something I'm a fan of. The model should draw the most attention.

I DID move back to Stormcast but the remaining miners are in various stages of progress and occasionally tempt me. The marauder models in particular are grrrreat.

This one is slightly converted (as I got 2 x musicians, 2 x banner bearers) with the more recent miner bits.

2016-08-24-19.49.17.jpg

2016-0-28-24-19.49.jpg

2016-08-24-19.49.jpg

20116-08-24-19.49.jpg

201116-08-24-19.49.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ademo said:

Excellent work on these. Very characterful! Are you using a light box for your photos?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You wouldnt believe the rubbish thing I built for myself that works!

Old box, 3 sides cut out. Add parchment paper.

• 1 month later...

An update!

I've actually done 10 or 11 more stormcast since the last update.

I also assembled an AoP board. That was a first for me! No medals but in all honesty there was tough competition here in Stockholm.

I'm currently working on a local store contest entry. Khorne! For a bit of a breather from SC.

I've built quite an extensive base which is also a first. Maybe a bit cluttered!

See the images below!

2016-10-15 12.25.44.jpg

2016-10-15 12.25.59.jpg

2016-10-16 17.54.50.jpg

35 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Not sure how I missed this thread for so long. The miners look great - as someone who legitimately hates painting candles, well done!

I painted so many candles I ended up freehanding one on the banner! I only knew how to paint candles by that stage.

4 hours ago, MyGeekyPersona said:

Wow - you have some serious talent! The AoP competition must have been of a really high standard in your local store!

I really like the pale skin on your slaughter priest - could you share your paint recipe?

MGP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm I can't recall the exact colour combo as I mixed some stuff myself. I can give you the basic idea though:

1. Take a light grey flesh tone (think GW rakarth flesh) as a base.

2. Mix a little bit of dark blue into it (think P3 coal black or GW incubi darkness or stegadon scale green) and use this to shade the deeper recesses.

3. Apply more of the mix from 2 on the lower parts of the torso, under the arms, armpits, along the flanks - shady areas that kind of thing.

4. Tidy up with 1 as necessary.

5. Mix a little red or dark red into 1 and use that on the 'sores, scars, wounds' rather thinned down.

6. Highlight up with warmer ivory mixed into the base grey flesh tone.

The AoP contest was real nice!

I try to be impartial when I say my army was top 1 or 2 in terms of paint quality but the board was simple and only neat and tidy. It also didn't help the army stand out and these contests are community votes.

My army also didn't place in a best in show in a recent tournament and it was - again I am trying to be impartial and not over confident here! - one of the best in terms of technique when viewed up close.

Whether my 'seen a 100 times before in 100 variants and different quality levels' boxart stormcast were one of the best around didn't really matter, the job of armies in community votes is to punch you in the eyes from 5 meters (with AoP the board helps with this tremendously) not be great when each model is closely considered. Ain't nobody got time for that!

I knew that going into each really and am already pondering an eye catching force for next year.

I just loved that I got nominated at the tournament and then enjoyed the praise from people who looked closely at the models!

• Like 1