How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: Dark elf lord)

elfhead

@Alessio @Oneyah @AthlorianStoners thans for leaving a reply, very much aprreciated. The response to my winged vampire was a bit overwhelming. I actually 'won the day' here on TGA (most liked content in one day) and on my instagram account (elfhead_warhammer) I got over 400 likes... which is a lot (for me) since I hadn reached more than 200 likes for a single picture ever before... So yeah, thanks everyone!

I just posted some Nurgly pics in my other Plog and Iḿ currently working on some elves. But maybe I"ll give this flying vampire some minions in the future. I kinda feel like he earned it:)

• 1 month later...

finally some updates! I've been working on some 'basic' troops for my Slaaneshi elves force. I realised I didn't really have a lot of actual elves in the army. So I got a box of dreadspears and with some added greenstuff robes they look the part. These represent the guards for Thalion's city.

large.5ae20fe660200_goldguard.jpg.1ddf4d

Another unit I have been working on are these guys. I love the masks from the sisters of slaughter kit. I really like that design features heavily in the new daughters of Khaine. I'm imagining the ciry my army inhabits allowes other groups to live there. The daughters of Khaines' blood rituals make for a great attraction in a city devoted to pleasure, but their hatred of Slaanesh could complicate things if they find out that the godlike creature ruling over the city is actually a Slaaneshi daemon prince...

medium.5ae20fe8f05fb_maskedguardsingle.j

more to come soon!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

These look amazing! The white and gold goes surprisingly well with the barbs and masks - really fits the notion of a once noble, now subtly and slowly corrupted people. I'm excited to see what other variations you come up with.

Your vampire is excellent and Thalion the Daemon Prince outstanding. I was thinking about your new fluff line and thought that perhaps the vampire could be your connection to  Eurenil. A smooth talking vampire, gaining an edge on a scheming, upstart captain that has aspirations to carve out a new pleasure kingdom somewhere, in the process crushing the beast that is Thalion (although one would assume Thalion either has some form of glamour spell enabled so no one sees his true form or can shape shift...). The vampire gains access to the pleasure cults and the exotic bloods available, but also gains a foothold into the realm of light, which might be a challenge for vampires but if they are given a safe haven...

I also think you could use the new DoK snake people straight into this force, perhaps as Thalions body guard that when on display are normal, gloriously beautiful elves but when in battle become the snake version a la Morathi.   

@Rungi thanks man! I really like the way they turned out. It is kinda scary picking such a different color scheme for models that are almost always painted in a dark color scheme. check out the complete unit of masked guards below

@kaaras thanks! I was thinking about something similar for the vampire. I've actually written some pieces of fluff to explore different ideas. I think there are some vampires in the city, orchestrating marriages between the most influential and beautiful people in the city, creating the best tasting bloodlines. Thalion lets the vampires do this because it means the inhabitants of his city look gorgeous. But with the malign portents the undead try to expand their grasp on the city. I'm working on a new character, Nazril, who is one of the Oreinoi. The Oreinoi are the elves who work directly under Thalion, controlling the city. Nazril is bringing different factions into the city to expand his power base. But these factions, like the daughters of Khaine and vampires, are also causing problems. This makes his position a tricky one. But it seems like fun to have a character fighting for (political) power and trying to balance the different interests of factions within the city.

picture time! Masked guards (probably aligned with Nazril) and a Melusai (work in progress!)

large.5ae338e6f05f6_nazrilguard.jpg.af99

medium.5ae3393d047db_melusaiwip.jpg.15c7

as always, I'd love to hear what you think.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@elfhead glad you like it. I just finished reading Bear-Eater, a short story about the Astral Templars but it had a similar premise, where a coven of vampires had effectively taken control of a human city and left a puppet sorcerer type on the throne, controlling his minions through his magic. Might be an avenue to explore. I really like the narrative work you put into your army, and gives me the inspiration to continue building my story behind my warqueen. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 4:08 PM, elfhead said:

medium.5ae3393d047db_melusaiwip.jpg.15c7

as always, I'd love to hear what you think.

That's the best painted snake lady I've seen thus far, better than the studio job. I was a bit confused by the paler scales being brighter in the recesses, not something you expevt to see on a mini, but looking at pictures of snakes that's the case in nature so you've nailed that cfd5bf5add9d4828890f98955d9cbb05.jpg

Edited by Mirbeau
  • Like 2

@Mirbeau thanks! I did look at snakes but this picture is just perfect. There is a thin darker line between te scales though, hopefully those will be better visible in a new photo.

@KnaveOfScribes Thanks man. Instagram is a nice platform but I really enjoy these plogs,  allowing for some more interaction and depth.

I made a page from a journal of a Sigmarite witch hunter, visiting the city of Thalion. I always liked the fluff pages back in the day of the 6th ed. rulebook, fleshing out the Old world in short texts and some nice sketches. I think this way I can quickly transfer some of my ideas about the background of my army. Please let me know what you think (and keep in mind I'm not a native speaker of English). 

large.5aecbfbeed700_diaryorderofsigmar.j

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

This is all beautifully done, not to mention inspiring. I really do love looking at the progress you've made on this log and I can't wait to see what you are gonna do next (speaking of which any plans you have that you wanna share? :P )

Edit: I wanna add that I love what you did to the bleakswords, I find them a really dull looking unit normally but with a simple headswap and a great paint job you have me interested in the model now xD

Edited by Rhivan

@Kirjava13 @Wolfman @Rhivan @KnaveOfScribes @Thundercake and everybody who liked my update, thank you so much! The journal page was a lot of fun to work on and I'm so glad people like it. If someone leaves a reply that really makes my day, so thanks! 

as for my plans on what to do next, there is so much I'd like to do. I'd love to work on a Altar of Khaine and I also have some other plans to do a big conversion combining the lhuminark of Hysh and a Skaven screaming bell. But I think those kind of projects cost a lot of time and money so they might never actually happen. Right now I'm looking at some Deepkin thralls, I couldn't resist them being the elf fanboy that I am. Some might join my Slaaneshi elves but I'm also working on some conversion creating a mixed deepkin/corsair warband. And GW just keeps bringing out so many amazing models I don't know what will end up on my painting station. And then there are still dozens of models in my backlog that deserve some paint. Like the reavers from the old starter set.

And now, picture time! I finished my Melusai and took some shots:

large.1449223192_Melusaiunit.jpg.22fea28

large.570101855_Melusaicommand.jpg.e7edc

As you can see I expended the unit to consist of 6 Melusai, of which one is carrying the banner. As always, let me know what you think!

• Like 11

So the Luminarch + Screaming Bell sounds awesome, but I understand why that is on the backburner. As for the deepkin thralls will you be putting the SoS helms on them?  (another thing you could do is paint their bare torso in the same metal you do the rest of their armor, and mention how beautifully crafted their armor is to match the elven body. Just a thought though) Anyway looks like your plate is pretty full, and thanks for telling us :D

As for the Melusai I really do like them the gold and white style of your scheme works really well with them. Although the blue is new (it looks good, it pops a bit and stands a little on it's own in the scheme?) 

@Rhivan I have put some SoS masks on the idoneth thralls, it looks pretty good but I also really like the blind faces. I think I’m going to paint half of them for my army and have some fun creating a new color scheme for the other half, as a stand alone group of deepkin. One of them is also getting green stuff tentacles instead of legs...

The turqois on the melusai is a color I have used as an accent color before I think, it works well with purple. I did a test with the melusai with a black tail and a purple tail, but I liked this better. Because they are larger than most units I found they looked boring in my usual color scheme. There also isn’t enough cloth on them to get enough white. I see them more as allies though, so it fits they stand out a little.

@AthlorianStoners I’d love to do something like the page as a commission. Send me a PM If you’re interested.

I'm a fan of the blue on the Melusai, it does a great job of bringing another colour into the scheme without it overwhelming the established palette or looking out of place.  Makes sense as well if like you say they are allies rather than a standard part of your main group.

Also dammit now I'm thinking about using Melusai in some way, the models are lovely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It has been a while since I updated this thread. Ie been working on all kinds of models, painting all those models that are lying around waiting for some color... But this project had always been fun to work on and I've made some new things. I always love to think about the narrative. This means I'm thinking a lot about the city my Slaaneshi elves (and humans) live in and how it works. I've been toying around with the idea that the city is building up to some large event where the vale drops and the city bursts apart in a grand feast to celebrate that Slaanesh has returned. Obviously I don't know when that will be but I'm building models that are more obviously followers of Slaanesh.

One of these creatures is a Slaangor I'm currently working on. Slaangor have been in the fluff but haven't really ever had models, allthough there are some really old 'realm of chaos' Slaanesh beastmen. I've been thinking a lot about how Slaangor would look and how I could build one. The result is below. He is isn't finished yet, he still needs more detail and armor. But I'm pretty pleased with the conversion. maybe one day I'll make a unit of six, but currently I don't have the time and I would have to get multiple kits to make it work...

Let me know what you think of him!

0Di3rFvl.jpg zaCPVG9l.jpg M3xI9Wbl.jpg

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 2