How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: Dark elf lord)

elfhead

Just incredible level of work allround, the Slaanesh models look stunning but the other Aelfen look just as great. Keep up this work and please continue to share it, I think this is the type of work that can get players started and experience how even small conversions can make a model blend in fantasticly. 

Thanks for all the kind words, they're really motivating (even more than 'likes'). If my work is what gets a new player to get into the hobby that would be amazing. 

@Hagen your stuf always inspires me, so it probably isn't a coincidence that my models have similarities to yours.  The technique I used for the marble is actually yours... haha! I used a mix of ushabti bone and white as a base and used thin glazes with lahmian medium and slightly brown tints. after that I lined the spots with a very thin grey line (although I didn't cheat with a technical pencil:P

The army is coming together nicely, I'm planning on getting to a point where I feel Thalion's story is represented enough. which will allow me to expand the army in any direction I want , but also get into other projects like AoS28. 

To get to that point, I need to finally create Thalion as Daemon prince. I've been working on a different version for a while, but I wasn't really pleased with the result. But then I saw a conversion done by @Old Woden and I kind of 'borrowed' that idea. He is still work in progress, but I'm looking forward to painting the Visarch armour NMM gold.

Fq6y82Hl.jpg

• Like 9

Jawdropping work on DP'd Thalion so far, the head is simple a simple swap but mind blowingly effective.

I'm sold on the wings conceptually,  feathered (swan?) wings are Slaaneshy and High Elfy at the same time,  so fit Thalion's story perfectly; but not entirely sold on your choice of wings, I'm not sure what mini they came from, but they feel too static, like they should be on the side of a pegasus or eagle gliding and don't to as good a job as another pair could framing the model.

The Dark Eldar Scourge kit has some really great feathered wings in it, perfectly spread out to frame an elf-sized model and with an awesome pointy/evil feel to compliment the Visarch's very defined armour, and convey Thalion's corrupted status.

What colours are you planning on doing him in? :) 

• Like 2

Scourge wings seem impossible to get on the bits site Inormally use. I might just get a box just for a pair of wings, as this model is one of te most important chatachters in my army. 

the current wings are from the bretonnian Pegasus knights. But I agree Scourge wings Probably look better. 

6 hours ago, elfhead said:

Scourge wings seem impossible to get on the bits site Inormally use. I might just get a box just for a pair of wings, as this model is one of te most important chatachters in my army. 

the current wings are from the bretonnian Pegasus knights. But I agree Scourge wings Probably look better. 

I bought the set to get them cos buying them off bits sites (from America) would of cost nearly as much. If you're from the uk I'll happily send you the last set of feathered ones I've got for nothing. 

On 11/04/2017 at 11:18 PM, Double Misfire said:

Jawdropping work on DP'd Thalion so far, the head is simple a simple swap but mind blowingly effective.

I'm sold on the wings conceptually,  feathered (swan?) wings are Slaaneshy and High Elfy at the same time,  so fit Thalion's story perfectly; but not entirely sold on your choice of wings, I'm not sure what mini they came from, but they feel too static, like they should be on the side of a pegasus or eagle gliding and don't to as good a job as another pair could framing the model.

The Dark Eldar Scourge kit has some really great feathered wings in it, perfectly spread out to frame an elf-sized model and with an awesome pointy/evil feel to compliment the Visarch's very defined armour, and convey Thalion's corrupted status.

What colours are you planning on doing him in? :) 

First thought I had was that scourge wings would look better. Outside of that I love your concept.

17 hours ago, elfhead said:

Thalion's swan winged DP form inspired me to read up on Azazel, and a cool bit of background in his original Champions of Chaos background mentions that he's always in the air, and never allows his feet to touch the ground (despite at least one of his quality model's feet being on the ground, presumably it wouldn't need a flying base up the bum). If you're going to go the whole hog and buy a scourge kit, why not have his feet suspended too. There are some really cool daemonic and not daemonic looking options in the scourge box and it would go a long way towards making him feel otherworldly. You could even have him attached to his base by flowing parchment, Prosecutor style so you don't have to furnish him with an ugly flying stand.

@Double Misfire I really like the fluff on Azazel, even though his model is really awfull... Wasn't he also a big part in Dechala's story?

I might change the model to make him appear to actually be flying. But I really like the Visarchs armour, so I'd rather reposition his legs. 

@Old Woden I'm located in the Netherlands, but thanks for the generous offer! I actually think I'll be getting the scourge kit, as I might be doing more conversions in the future using wings. 

to be continued

2 hours ago, elfhead said:

@Double Misfire I really like the fluff on Azazel, even though his model is really awfull... Wasn't he also a big part in Dechala's story?

Dechala didn't have much of a story in Champions of Chaos, just the fact that she might have been a High Elf princess at some point. I haven't read it for 15 or so years, whenever it came out, but I think there was a daemon prince in her expanded backstory in Liber Chaotica Slaanesh (Sigurd? can't remember his name) that dated her back to the first Chaos incursion about 5000 years before Azazel was born. (Might be wrong, but I don't have my books handy!)

Was Dechala ever expanded on in any Black Library novels? I know she got killed by Tyrion in the last End Times novel, but beyond that she seems like a cool character GW never did very much with.

@Double Misfire I checked in liber Chaotica. It is implied she was denied daemonhood by Slaanesh because of a deal he struck with the daemon prince Samael. Dechala refused to stay married to Samael. Even though Dechala was blessed by Slaaenesh in numerous way, she could not reach daemonhood like Samael. I thought Dechala was married to Azazel, but I guess I got things mixed up. The Liber Chaotica does describe all this as stuff of legends and by no way as a fact. I love how the fluff during 6th was written in this way.

I also found another piece in the Liber Chaotica that I hadforgotten about. a creature called the 'horned man' is described that enters the dreams of children (and the 'writer' of the Liber Chaotica) to convince them to do bad deeds. This is just how I imagine Thalion to operate in the Age of Sigmar, in his guise of Morh' euz or as a vision of a golden ox, visiting dreams to inspire artists and artisans to create the most beautiful things they possibly can.  This way Thalion has numerous ways of controlling his followers, even when they are asleep.

Model-wise I have altered the position of the legs to make Thalion appear to be floating. Using the hilt of his spear to keep the model aloft. Now I just need to get me some wings.

HA7iITRm.jpg akkk4JFm.jpg

• Like 7

On 4/17/2017 at 5:59 PM, elfhead said:

@Double Misfire I checked in liber Chaotica. It is implied she was denied daemonhood by Slaanesh because of a deal he struck with the daemon prince Samael. Dechala refused to stay married to Samael. Even though Dechala was blessed by Slaaenesh in numerous way, she could not reach daemonhood like Samael. I thought Dechala was married to Azazel, but I guess I got things mixed up. The Liber Chaotica does describe all this as stuff of legends and by no way as a fact. I love how the fluff during 6th was written in this way.

I also found another piece in the Liber Chaotica that I hadforgotten about. a creature called the 'horned man' is described that enters the dreams of children (and the 'writer' of the Liber Chaotica) to convince them to do bad deeds. This is just how I imagine Thalion to operate in the Age of Sigmar, in his guise of Morh' euz or as a vision of a golden ox, visiting dreams to inspire artists and artisans to create the most beautiful things they possibly can.  This way Thalion has numerous ways of controlling his followers, even when they are asleep.

Model-wise I have altered the position of the legs to make Thalion appear to be floating. Using the hilt of his spear to keep the model aloft. Now I just need to get me some wings.

HA7iITRm.jpg akkk4JFm.jpg

Cool call on the balancing on the staff. Curious to see it it would look cool to hide the contact point in a tuft when basing. 

just a crappy phone shot of the work in progress. I'm pretty happy with the NMM, I don't think it comes across right in this shot. 

I'm having some doubts about the color of the wings. I'm considering building it up more towards white wings. But I could also wash them with golden-brown tones. The question is do the wings look better in a color similar to the armor or do they look better in a lighter tone, closer to the cloth? 

1UnnQmBl.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, elfhead said:

just a crappy phone shot of the work in progress. I'm pretty happy with the NMM, I don't think it comes across right in this shot. 

I'm having some doubts about the color of the wings. I'm considering building it up more towards white wings. But I could also wash them with golden-brown tones. The question is do the wings look better in a color similar to the armor or do they look better in a lighter tone, closer to the cloth? 

1UnnQmBl.jpg

He looks awesome. Very much a beefed up version of the Slaanesh lord. Very cool. 

In regards to the wings, I think I would go for a fade to white. As they are a bigger area I personally feel it will make the golden armour pop more. 

• Like 1

I finished Thalion, daemon prince of Slaanesh!

He was really fun to work on, I really feel the feedback on here helped me improve the model. He was a joy to paint as well. I'd love to hear what you think of the finished model. In a way this completes Thalion's saga, but I think I will continue to add units to the army. 

jiFMhiHl.jpg  

WnLNiEYl.jpg

side-by-side Of Thalion as elven prince and daemon prince

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 19

Im glad to hear youre going to keep adding units ro thia army.  Its been sucha pleasure to watch it grow over the past year and a half since warseer.  

Your skills are amazing from conversion, world building, to painting.  Great work on seeing Thalion through to daemonhood.

Edit: it would be great to see the whole army together.

Edited by Gorthor21

thanks for leaving a reply and your kind words everybody, the feedback and responses really are an important part of the hobby for me. I always get a little extra excited when I can share my finished work on here.

@Davariel glad you noticed the continuation of the character, I really wanted the daemon prince to look like an amped up version of the elven prince he once was. 

@Gorthor21 I a way it is a little sad Thalion's story is kind off finished, because I had so much fun with him. But I have enough ideas and stuff lying around to add to the army. I actually just finished the last three devoted to get the unit up to 12 girls (so it is a multiple of six). And offcourse at some point Slaanesh will get some love in AoS, hopefully with some spectaculair models...  Also, I'm working on some models for AoS28 and I'm tying their story in with Thalions story.

I've made a group shot, but it feels to crowded... Maybe I'll do some better army shots in the future.

0V8Dj37h.jpg

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 9

I just saw it on Facebook, congrats man, a well worthy mention. Your army looks amazing and the theme is worked out really well.

I ran out of likes in how much I can give to this army. Hope to see it in real life one day.

Keep up the amazing work!