Legion Of Azgorh Mega-Thread

Ben

On 12/02/2017 at 10:15 PM, James McPherson said:

they refused to give AOS it's own section on the forum, so I went and started my own Facebook group

Whoa. I had no idea about this. What harm could it possibly have done? What was the reasoning behind this? Thanks for running the Facebook community, by the way. It's a really positive and supportive place.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a discussion on the Balewind Vortex in a Destruction, that got me thinking - the Daemonsmith might be a really great objective holder with this thing:

100 points, 7+ to summon, it appears on the spot the wizard is and the wizard is placed on top. All models are moved 3" away, and while it's in place no models can move within 3", meaning the wizard can't be charged. Combine that with the Daemonsmith's double-ranged Ash Storm and that makes it near-immune to many, many shooting attacks. The only thing to worry about is other wizards, but they have to get close enough to not get sniped themselves. So for Three Points of Power, Take and Hold, Gift From The Gods and Border War, you can pretty easily deny your opponent certain objectives.

Thoughts on that? Has anyone used or gone up against the BWV for any army?

I was going to take this combo to the Sheffield Slaughter buy decided against it in the end.  The main issue is that you need to save from your list almost the cost of another Magma Cannon!  

And when on the vortex the Smith can't get within 3" to buff the war machines.  

The spell is best used early in the game to get on the vortex and stay there for the longest time but thats when you need the extra range on the magma cannons.  Maybe it will be good in a list without war machines.  Its an excellent counter to sth large skyfire units but i'm not sure its better than taking 2 Death shriekers to snipe the shaman. (Smith and vortex is 200 pts.  @ shriekers are 240)

Its been a while since I wrote anything about my legion so after recording an episode about under powered units I thought I should give my thoughts on using Bull Centaurs.

large.5730e5d6f1bc9_Legion(31of48).jpg.18eddd42bf4a03d596e6abc9c01377d9.jpg

How I get the most from Bull Centaurs

I started by wanting the Bull Centaurs to be front and centre, getting stuck in and taking the fight to the enemy.  

This was a terrible idea.  

Next up I wanted them to sit and hold objectives.  

They are far too costly for this to be worth while. 

So eventually, after much trial and error and heavy defeats I found a few good uses for the unit. 

Numbers matter? 

3 Bull Centaurs for 160 points is a high price to pay.  12 wounds is not enough, neither is 15 attacks with no rerolls to hit or wound.  So you would have thought that 320 points for 6 of them would be an awful idea???  Actually not.  

Taking units of 6 enables me to do a whole load of things that 3 couldn't do  

The main advantage of this is the sheer amount of table space that they occupy.  The unit is like a mobile terrain piece protecting an area of the table only by virtue of being alive.  I have been able to use this to great effect in my games.  I will anchor a flank against a table edge or terrain piece and then use the Bull Centaurs (in tandem with the Iron Daemon) to channel my opponent into my firing channels.

More bodies also mean that my damage output, while not very high, is at least consistent and losing 1 or 2 models will not alter things too much as it is usually unlikely that those first couple of casualties were even fighting.  

A large unit of imposing models on big bases is threatening to an opponent no matter what the stats on paper say about the models.  They look scary and will attract attention.  

A Meat Shield

Another use I found was to play the unit in character.  They are a herd of cows.  I would bunch them up and run them at people with a character packed into the middle.  This made a meat shield of finest lean steak that was ready to die just to deliver the combat character.  This also limited the amount of combat attacks that would be brought against that character.  

The only in this role

So while the Centaurs are possibly overcosted they are also the only unit that we have to fill these battlefield roles.  Yes I could go to the Chaos Alliance and get better point for point units to do the same task (and swap out my battleline too) but that's not what it's always all about.  I want to play the Legion so am stuck with the cows.  They could be 200 points for 3 and if I really needed a unit to do a certain thing then I would have to use them regardless of the costs.  

I hope this helps you get the most from your Bull Centaurs and also gives you some ideas for using other units in less obvious roles. 

Nice, have you ever tried running your Shar'tor as a counts as Taur'uk Ben? So that you can have two on the table I mean? I want to try that when I get my stuff built up.

Maybe we should organise some kind of official petition or contact to GW from all of us here on this thread and everyone on the Fbook group to petition to have the LOA keywords added to all the substitute warscrolls.

We're over 300 members now on facebook , would be great if we could all mobilise that into some action as a community.

*EDIT

have started a post on the fbook group about this

I have played Double Taur'uk. Its good but not great.  He puts out a decent amount of damage but vs something like a Daemon Prince he's just not that good.  I'm not sure that you can invest too many points into them.  

2 of them for almost the price of Drazhoath is not really viable.  If they were to come down to 140 points I would see use for multiples but to be honest I would prefer to see them pointed as they are and given better stats

I've only used Bull Centaurs once, in a unit of three. They seem like the weak unit of LoA - pretty slow for the fast unit (and Fireborn are faster anyway), while Ironsworn have both rend and the Spite Shield, with these guys you have to choose, their hooves rarely connect so the charge bonus is negligible. They're comparatively bad cavalry it seems. However, I'm willing to give a group of six a shot. 

I have also been wanting to run two Taur'Uks side by side, because they look like they can dish out some damage.

On a similar note - I love my Castellan! Talk about dishing out damage - give him a great weapon and Martial Law, three attacks 3+/2+/-2 at 3 damage is devastating! I run him beside a group of 20 Ironsworn, and in smaller games I give him the command ability that subtracts 1 from enemy bravery and gives him an extra attack. Watch him mow through units!

• 3 weeks later...

More updates.  

I played tonight in our gaming clubs 700 points event and used this 

Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon
- Trait: Lord of War
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest

20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
20 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (200)

Total: 700/700

3 really fun games

g1 - vs Stormcast in Escalation.  I took turn 1, ran on to objectives and never moved off them.  

g2 - vs Destruction with Stonehorn.  He baselined the army and didn't move.  I ran up the table to tempt him in.  The Stone  horn charged and I killed it in a single round of shooting.  

g3 - Vs Minators and Ghorgon.  Bloody battle with mass casulties on both sides but I had too many models and double Inspiring Prescence to secure the win.  Ghorgon lasted a turn.  Shooting was hideous! 

I finished 2nd place overall and was also best painted!

700 points is a great format for club nights, let me know if your group have tried it.  

its a really good format.  easy to get finished inside an hour per game and just the right points to allow Leader + Battleline + Battleline and still have a few points left for another unit or to beef up the leader to a monster.  

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Furious said:

Cool scheme - don't see a lot of CDs without any red. Also, love the screaming shields! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! Yeah I wanted to integrate green to hammer in the greed factor of my particular chaos dwarfs, and the shields were quite time consuming and tricky but I do quite love how they turned out!

A friend of mine is looking to sell his Chaos Dwarves, but he has some old models that don't seem to exist. Is there any reason to get a Lahmmasu, Hobgoblins, or Command squads? The price is decent for the miniatures involved but it seems that half of fhem are useless.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, Roark said:

Command squads are always useable, but the hobbos and Lammasu can't be fielded within a LoA army in matched play. 

Obviously you can use whatever you want in narrative play etc

Man I would love if FW made a Battletome for LoA updating them with new battalions and lore for AoS. All the models are there, and it'd be nice to see what exactly our favorite little evil Dwarfs are doing 

12 hours ago, FERRUMITE said:

Man I would love if FW made a Battletome for LoA updating them with new battalions and lore for AoS. All the models are there, and it'd be nice to see what exactly our favorite little evil Dwarfs are doing 

It'll happen but don't hold your breath anytime soon.

with respect to the comments about gobbos just square it with your opponent and don't lose sleep over it.  Unless you're going to tournament or your opponent needs to be spoon fed what you can and can't have then I would just agree that perhaps you still maintain allegiance with the alternative warscrolls as all you're doing is using their stat line as you don't have official few models.

failing that just give fw an email or post on their Facebook  and pester about a FAQ.

no it won't be rules lawyer official but on one hand cattle like to be led, and on another  if you and your opponent are just out to have fun you'll find what wokrks for you. 

I wouldn't begrudge anyone those models and allowing their alternative scrolls as part of the legion keyword.

but that's just me.

On 4/22/2017 at 8:49 AM, Kaleb Daark said:

It'll happen but don't hold your breath anytime soon.

with respect to the comments about gobbos just square it with your opponent and don't lose sleep over it.  Unless you're going to tournament or your opponent needs to be spoon fed what you can and can't have then I would just agree that perhaps you still maintain allegiance with the alternative warscrolls as all you're doing is using their stat line as you don't have official few models.

failing that just give fw an email or post on their Facebook  and pester about a FAQ.

no it won't be rules lawyer official but on one hand cattle like to be led, and on another  if you and your opponent are just out to have fun you'll find what wokrks for you. 

I wouldn't begrudge anyone those models and allowing their alternative scrolls as part of the legion keyword.

but that's just me.

I'm extremely slow but I just now realized that all the war scrolls have Zharr Goroth in them and that Zharr Goroth is mentioned in the Skaarac lore and then also I saw this posted on their Facebook 

So now I'm curious, and thinking that there WILL be a Battletome, but as you said, it'll definitely be a while. I'm just wanting to know more about Zharr Goroth now ahaha 

IMG_2028.PNG

5 minutes ago, FERRUMITE said:

I'm extremely slow but I just now realized that all the war scrolls have Zharr Goroth in them and that Zharr Goroth is mentioned in the Skaarac lore and then also I saw this posted on their Facebook 

So now I'm curious, and thinking that there WILL be a Battletome, but as you said, it'll definitely be a while. I'm just wanting to know more about Zharr Goroth now ahaha 

IMG_2028.PNG

I don't care what Khorne Says, Skaarac has chaos dwarf written all over him (well he is the shelved Kdaai Destroyer sculpt with some re-jiggering after all)

Don't fancy putting a post on their FB page asking for war mammoth and skin wolves to have chaos god keywords again could you as you have their attention? :)

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I don't care what Khorne Says, Skaarac has chaos dwarf written all over him (well he is the shelved Kdaai Destroyer sculpt with some re-jiggering after all)

Don't fancy putting a post on their FB page asking for war mammoth and skin wolves to have chaos god keywords again could you as you have their attention? :)

Ah, sadly that isn't me! I noticed it when I googled the topic Zharr Goroth, and this was one of the pages that came up! It's from last year, but at least we know something is planned!

Archived