Legion Of Azgorh Mega-Thread

Ben

I did order a Legion of Azgorh army. I went for just picking what I think are cool models and tried to fit them in 2000pt. I think the army will look great (in a year's time when they are all painted :)) and I hope it will work in games but if it doesnt I am just going to pull centerpiece models and add Infernal Guards until I feel I can win some games.

Here is the list:
1        Drazhoath The Ashen          380
1        Infernal Guard Castellan     120
1        Daemonsmith                      100
1        Daemonsmith                      100
20      Infernal Guard Ironsworn   200
10      Infernal Guard Fireglaives  100
3        K'Daai Fireborn                    100
1        Dreadquake Mortar             200
1        Magma Cannon                   140
1        Magma Cannon                   140
1        Iron Daemon                       200
61                                                 1980

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried Fireborn out yet? They're intriguing to me. At 100 points they seem like they could be a good tarpit against units without rend. Summon 3 onto an objective in terrain, and when they get charged they'll have a 2+ save assuming their opponent doesn't have rend.

Another interesting thought I had for them was to use them as a unit hiding behind the main gunline to protect the back board edge from cheeky charges. Once that threat dissipates, they move towards the main scrum to dish out mortal wounds just by being within 3 inches of enemies.

Has anyone actually tried them though? This is pure theory hammer so Im not sure if its legitimate or not

May I ask why nobody is taking advantage of the Chaos Allegiance? As I understand it, there is no good synergyin the Legion itself. So why not taking the goodies (Warmashines) and fill the rest with better options? The main strategy is to kill everything with warmashines  and try to protect them, right?
But the problem is, that the units of the Legion arent that great...

So, why not taking the most tanky chaos ****** (Archaon)? I would suggest:

2 Magma Cannons

2 Deathshrieker

1 Daemonsmith

Archie

Chaos Sorc

Harbringer

3x10 Chaos Marauders

Warshrine

With this list Archaon has 3 ward saves and Sorc buff and meat shield (Marauders with 2 ward saves). It will be a real pain for the oppent to kill this Archaon while your warmashines are doing immense dmg.

My guess is that the people building a legion of azgorh army are doing it for other reasons.

But I guess the best power gaming use for them is to take 1 daemonsmith and 2 magma cannons and then take the strongest chaos list you can find that includes 2 warp lightning cannons (and there are a few) and switch them. Now you have a filthy list and it includes chaos dwarfs. 

But with that said if you are satisfied with a list that are a little bit worse and love the LOA models their battle line is actually quite good for their points so that encourage you to go all in with a LOA allegiance.

Yeah - I want Fireglaives/Ironsworn. They are among my favourite models, I don't care how they perform. And because of that, since they aren't alliance battleline, may as well stick with the faction, as I don't want to add another three drops just to fill battle line reqs. Maybe eventually, it might not be a bad idea for marauders or gors (I like the idea of a LOA/Beastmen army) and maybe take a Daemon prince and chaos gargant or something. I like being fluffy though.

Yeah, those are my thoughts (but with beastmen) - fluffy because the dwarfs think that these horned creatures are spawns of their god. My Azzies aren't too bright.

I'd love to come up with a reason/conversion to add some daemons to the list. Horrors, specifically - but what would daemons of Hashut be?

13 hours ago, Furious said:

Yeah, those are my thoughts (but with beastmen) - fluffy because the dwarfs think that these horned creatures are spawns of their god. My Azzies aren't too bright.

I'd love to come up with a reason/conversion to add some daemons to the list. Horrors, specifically - but what would daemons of Hashut be?

I'm working on a similar army at the moment, only my dwarfs have enslaved the beastmen, included a couple of well tamed ghorgons. I'm planning on using the Ogroid Thaumaturge model (with the addition of a couple of wings) for a daemon prince of Hashut as its different from the standard daemon prince models, the horns fit well with the theme. I'm also planning on adding Be'lakor, who is claiming to be a servant of Hashut (manipulating them for nefarious reasons as yet unknown). I think without too much work you could convert the ungors, a few head swaps and some tentacles, to make them look more daemon like. I also think a soulgrinder would fit quite nicely with the chaos dwarfs as another mechanical/daemon construction, although I want to use the forgeworld khorne blood slaughter as a proxy (coz its cool). 

I'm finding with the dwarfs as a starting point so many things would work well thematically. Including a slaves of darkness boxset, with the idea that they are almost roving band of chaos merc's who the dwarfs have hired to get them more slaves. So the skaven, doing a deal with one of more of the clans to provide them with cannon fodder, abominations, more crazy weapons. Imagining them as a smaller, but richer group, who can hire, do deals with others, and as long as the bases tie things together it can all work....oh and at some point i really really really want to add Skaarac.

All praise to the Dark Father.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved playing my legion again, and its also swung me round to AoS.

I played vs goblins and trolls. 

My army was

Drazoath,

3 bull centaurs with Taur'uk

1 Hell cannon

2 Deathshrieker rockets

20 Infernal Guard Fireglaives and command

Standard Bearer

6 Fireborn

I was very surprised at how effective the bull centaurs are, and the Taur'uk was a real star of the show.  They pretty much chewed their way through eight spider riders in little over two rounds.

The Kdaai I really liked as well.  Amazingly good at annoying and don't underestimate the blazing body rule - it's free mortal wounds just for being around.  I'd use them just to be 3" away from things I needed weakening such as the arachnorok, they're like little cherries on top of sustained bombardment from hellcannons and rockets when I was trying to drop its wounds so it couldn't do any damage.

My fireglaives held up very well too.  40 shots against a unit of  four trolls was their greatest moment together with standard bearer planting his banner making a lot of damage dealt.  and they're good at soaking up damage too.  I'm seriously thinking about offering to play our gw's resident death junkie with his vampire zombie dragon lord and mourngul combo.  I think if I go full strength with two units of 20 or one block of 40, these guys could rip both of those to shreds.

I like the legion because just like in 8th, it just gels so nicely with itself.  It's not an easy thing to play with as there's no obvious 'wow' units, or obviously stackable combos but they all support each other really well, and I found playing it as one entity helped that a lot, rather than looking at it from the perspective of this character buffs this and this character buffs that.

I can see me changing my rockets for magma cannons, and maybe when I get round to it playing a skullcracker when i finally get my backside into gear and paint it. I'm no seasoned pro, having more fingers on one hand than AoS games under my belt at the mo but I'm getting there.  

IMG_0959_zps8684fbdd.jpg

IMG_0955_zpsa9012c53.jpg

great news that we have another legion junkie. 

Double fireglaves are great against the Death monster mash. Try swapping out the standard for a castallant in that matchup. 

Double check the fireglaive rules too. They only shoot twice vs monsters. 

Thanks Ben, and yes my mistake.

The trolls were too busy reducing Drazoath down to one wound before he flew off back to behind the defensive line of Fireglaives.

It was the twenty guns onto the arachnarok.  I'll look at the castellan in the unit and see how I go.  i'm hoping to get a dreaquake mortar in the new year to add to the army.

What is the big Dragon? Warpfire?

Really nice scheme and basing.

There was a Legion army at the South London Legion on Wednesday as well. Looked good! Mix of old and new.

When I get a flash of inspiration I think I'll paint up another 10 old school Blunderbusses and the old school metal Mortar and two Deathshriekers I salvaged from the parents' shed; and put them on appropriately sized large bases. Got some Ogors kicking around too to add to them.

Played another game with them today - my second AoS game.

This time we decided to use general's handbook points values, and we went for 1500 points.

My army composition;

Drazoath

Castellan (thanks @Ben)

Battle standard bearer

20 Fireglaives

Bull Centaur Taur'uk

3 Bull Centaurs

3 Kdaai

3 Kdaai

1 DeathShrieker

vs...

Dark Aelfs

His was an all mounted army, consisting of:

1 Dreadlord

1 Assassin

5 Warlocks

10 cold one riders

10 Dark Riders

10 Dark Riders

War hydra

Without going into blow by blow I'll give match play highlights.

So, we both had armies with no hard bloodbound-esque obvious slap you in the face synergies.  His tactics were going to be hit and run, and mine was very much hold the line.  I got the feeling that when he hit, it was going to be hard.  It's fair to say we were both still learning the game.

I flew drazoath to a scenery piece in the middle of the table, and since he's big and impressive (I was using my Kdaai Destroyer model as count's as..) he was an immediate magnet.  By turn two he was mobbed by the cold one knights.  I made sure that the two Kdaai units orbited him like little satellites. He was reduced to half wounds, and I made sure that he was under mystic shield and rocket launcher protection most of the time.  I also kept him under the sweep of the fireglaives and castellan and bsb's range.

The fireborn, though not on the face of it great, caused four mortal wounds without even trying - to the unit of warlocks, the cold one knights, the dreadlord, and the assassin who could have torn Drazoath to peices were it not for some terrible dice rolling on his part.  Phew!  The end of combat phase free mortal wound to any unit within 3" of the fireborn was something I really appreciated, especially as I made sure that they flew in front and behind of units  I wanted to target with this.

The fire glaives I think next time I will deploy near the end as I could have done with seeing where that hydra was parked.  As it is, it concentrated all of its efforts on the bull centaurs who fortunately managed to get the charge in. on a unit of dark riders at the time.  For me so far they really shine, with the Taur'uk pulverising the hydra whilst on his remaining wound.  

The rocket launchers are so good at just being annoying - I used them to just heckle the hero's and monster in cover

After four turns he had lost most of his army and I had lost two Fireglaives.  Although hairy moment was turn two where Drazoath was befuddled on the terrain and basically had to just sit and take it.

Honestly, I love playing these guys. I love playing them as much as I did in 8th.

Looking ahead, I can see different challenges if I were to play things which synergise epically well like death and Khorne armies.  And I think I can see me dropping drazoath and maybe looking to field more fireglaives and bull centaurs.

I don't have a magma cannon in there yet and that'll be next together with a dreadquake mortar - not for the wounds it does, but now having seen how stuffed an army can be if it can't move, it's ability to stop units from running isn't to be sniffed at to my amateur eyes.

IMG_1440_zpsf00ee014.jpg

IMG_1439_zps05ce3a5c.jpg

15622362_1335116596558492_30369583725323

15665760_1335116573225161_90433444063828

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to start converting up some Bull Centaur Renders and a couple Taur'uks next week. Question for those who have used them with success - what is your preferred loadout? I'm leaning toward scalding great weapons, but am considering spite shields as well (I don't think the double weapon bonus compares to the other options). How effective are spite shields really? It seems like over all, rend would go further, as the spite shields don't really work against anything particularly nasty, or require a mystic shield.

I'm pretty set on great weapons for the Taur'uks. That seems amazingly powerful.

I run them with the scalding weapons, but when I get more I'll do the second unit with great weapons.

I always keep forgetting the spite shield rule, but thats just me.  The model has a scalding weapon and spite shield as standard.

Taur'uk always performs well for me, two games now where he's been smashed down to one would but he still delivers in droves.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll go great weapons, the spite shield just seems too unreliable. Many things that the Centaurs should be going after have rend.

And yes, I plan on doing a list with two Taur'Uks. Excited to see them tear stuff apart.

On a related topic, how do people play with the poorly-edited FW warscrolls? What I'm talking about is stuff like the lack of the word "mortal wound" in the spite shield ability (it just says wound - does the target make a save?) and the lack of "6 or more" in the Fireglaive double damage ability (if they get a buff to their hit roll, does it activate on fives and not sixes?). Have anyone tried to clarify these inconsistencies?

I totally get you but we need to remember that we have a compendium war scroll - I'm hoping that with shartor and the games day sorcerer released there is a proper battle tome in the wings at some point.

Well I hope so as I'm planning on outing a big slab of cash in the direction of this army very soon.

I would hope so. But I don't have a lot of faith in FW's dedication to rules, based on word around the AoS launch and the GHB launch. At least the Compendium scrolls are still good with those few exceptions, but considering no one still really knows what to make of using Hobgoblins in a LoA army, I don't expect as much as an errata any time soon.

Archived