Legion Of Azgorh Mega-Thread

Ben

Here are my thoughts on the list.  

The general plan is that to win games you need to score on the objectives.  This sounds super simple, but I tell you now, its not.  I would say that most players don't consider this when building a list.  This means you need to be able to not only get to the objectives and hold them, but also protect your own, and clear your opponent off theirs. 

With movement 4 Evil Stunties....

So a key part of building and playing my list was to make sure I have as much speed and manoeuvrability as possible while still remaining true to the Legion.  Drazhoath and the Bull Centaurs played a big part in this, but so did the War Engines and their ability to get the Magma cannons into prime shooting positions.  

In every game I play I use Drazhoath to get across the table quickly and cause problems to my opponents plans.  He always dies, but he has to be dealt with before he can do to much damage.  It also takes a fair amount to bring him down so it really causes my opponents a tough decision.  

The Bull Centaurs I use as a massive meat shield, they are excellent to take charges, soak up damage let my characters and war engines counter attack. 

Because the Cannons are slow and the shooting fairly short ranged I like to play very aggressive and up the battlefield using the Centaurs as a rolling road block while Drazoath stop's the centaurs getting too much attention all at once.

I try to team up my units so when I fight combats I always have the option to crush a unit and move on rather than getting bogged down, and also have the option to put a hefty threat into part of the table so my opponent is forced to counter with a big portion of their army.  I can then use my shooting to swing those combat match-ups.

When i'm facing a combat heavy army that I think will roll over me quickly I like to use the Centaurs to take the charge and bog them down, I push them up field into a position where I can choose where to charge in the following turn if allowed to do so, putting the pressure on my opponents and making them choose what to do.  Once they are stuck into the centaurs, they usually take 2 rounds to chew through.  This blunts any double turn, it also means when its my turn I get to pour in the firepower and hit the counter charge.  

This is all the general plan and is of course subject to my opponent having their own plan.  

Thats enough for tonight.  I have lots more thoughts and some photos too 

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I need to adjust for that in my list too. I ran a list with 3 war engines and tried to use their 10" movement to go get objectives but they got blocked. Anyway here is a battlereport my opponent posted if anyone is interested. 

I started painting a couple days ago too I'll post some WIP pics tonight when I get home. I'm curious for feedback since my legion army is the first army I'm ever painting.

Congrats Ben! That's a great win for the legion!

So my main idea was to focus on metallic  colors for the army since the infantry is clad head to toe in armor and the war machines are... well yeah lol. It would also make the non metallic colors really pop out. So for the balckshard armor forged in the blood of their enemies I based in warplock bronze. Then for fun contest I'm doing brass chainmail and accents. Then the fun themes I am going to add later for the whole army are the accent colors. Anything with magic or runes will glow dark purple which will be the spite shields, some parts of the warmachines, banner, etc. Then anything with a demon possessing it will glow in a dark blue, that will include Iron Daemons, pyrelock rifles, and some (hopefully) really awesome looking blue flame K'Daai fireborn.

I only have a couple of the base coats on but tell me what you guys think so far of the ideas and the paint so far. I'd love feedback every step of the way because this is my first time painting anything... like ever lol. I'll keep you posted.

IMG_4313.JPG

IMG_4314.JPG

IMG_4315.JPG

I'm not a huge fan of a single magma cannon, it's too unreliable alone. Since you have 40 points left you can take an iron daemon instead (or moar centaurs, HAAAAAA).

You should take the great weapons with the centaurs, unless you'e playing WISIWIG and you didn't convert them. We'll need an expert to tell you if 6x1 or 2x3 centaurs is better in small games.

You end up with a body count that's a bit too low IMO because of the price of the centaurs, but I'm a bit biased since I love the ironsworn+shield and inspiring presence from the demonsmith. 

Just a word of advice, the range of the fireglaives is usually short enough that you'll risk a charge in the next turn if your oppenent is fast (ironjaws, khorne, etc.) and you have no frontline to protect them.

On 10/12/2017 at 11:21 AM, Perturabo said:

Heya guys

I'm starting to enter the Legion again, 

this is my list that should help me understand the Legion better.

Any input on what should be changed?

22406380_10210510089164230_2955847237045653343_n.jpg

I wouldn't bother with Artillery in a 1000pt game, tbh.  To maximize body count and damage, load up on Fireglaives and use a Castellan + BSB for crazy Pyrelock synergy.  30 Fireglaives with Martial Contempt and Black Banner of Malice will usually give you about 12 wounds at -1 rend that they have to save, with a good chunk being 2dmg.

On 14.09.2017 at 1:14 AM, Sorrol said:

With regards to the Legion of Azgorh units bought from Forgeworld. Do these include all the options required? (Focussed on Infernal Guard Ironsworn: Does it include an Icon-Bearer?)

Cheers,

Sorrol

No command groups are separate products not included in 10 man packs.

How do you guys deal with 1st-turn charge/mortal wound setups?  It seems to be a thing for Khorne to pull off pretty consistently, and it prevents me from taking elite front-lines like Bullcentaurs and such.  Even Soulblight that lets you go first, to setup their buffed-up-bloodknight-charge next turn, is quite annoying.  I know Cunning Deceiver can soften the blow a little bit, but it seems to be counter-productive for me to take anything but massive regiments of Ironsworn (extremely cost-efficient) to eat charges and go for objectives.  Does this seem to be common to you guys as well?  I really want to fit in more K'daai and Bullcentaurs, but the Artillery slots seem so vital to fill...

Thoughts on this list?  Tried to do a mini-version of what Ben did, with 3 less Bull Centaurs, but more foot troops for objectives, allowing some mobility and punching power on top of strong shooting and spellcasting.  Seems very well rounded actually.

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)

Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
- Legion of Azgorh Battleline
3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)
- Scalding Great Weapon
- Legion of Azgorh Battleline (Shar'tor General)

War Machines
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120)
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

I’m glad I found this thread, I was thinking of start a Legion army. I was wondering, what do you use for a battle standard bearer, siege gargant,  and infernal guard Deathmask?  I can’t seem to find models on Forgeworld for these guys.  I posted this on another thread, but how do tourneys usually react to dropping a Forgeworld army on the table? Thats my only way to play for the time being, and I’d hate to be thrown out before I started meeting locals to play with. 

4 hours ago, Joshfz84 said:

I’m glad I found this thread, I was thinking of start a Legion army. I was wondering, what do you use for a battle standard bearer, siege gargant,  and infernal guard Deathmask?  I can’t seem to find models on Forgeworld for these guys.  I posted this on another thread, but how do tourneys usually react to dropping a Forgeworld army on the table? Thats my only way to play for the time being, and I’d hate to be thrown out before I started meeting locals to play with. 

For Battle Standard Bearer,  I just use a model from the command group until I paint up a custom banner, I don't use the siege gargant, and the Deathmask I use the helmet-less model from the command group kits.  Read the rules for which tournaments you'd like to go to, but from what I've seen, since the army is in the app, it's officially accepted.

On 10/27/2017 at 8:05 AM, sirflukesalot said:

Th siege gargant is OOP 

After B&G i plan on using a soul grinder kit to "siege-ify" a regular gargant

I'd LOVE to have the model, but sadly I would never field it.  I think it's in every way inferior to the Skullcracker War Engine.  Same amount of points, better save, more attacks, more potential damage, better movement and range.  :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be playing 4vs4 against one of the other games workshop from my city next saturday. I'll take my legion of azgorh (of course), but I need some advice on the list. I don't exactly know who I'll be playing with/against yet, we just started planning:

Leaders
- General
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Chaos Talisman

Battleline
- Scalding Hand Weapons

Units
3 x K'Daai Fireborn (160)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Reinforcement Points (0)

I was thinking about either:

- a) replace the fireborn with a standard bearer (or 10 fireglaives) + 10 marauders

- b) replace the 30 ironsworn with a standard bearer + 10 fireglaives (and nothing since afaik there isn't anything that costs 40 points for chaos)

I only have 6 centaurs, that's why I didn't include a unit of 6. I don't know what to think about the castellan, the range of 12" seems too short.

All comments and critics are welcome. Aaaaaand I just realized my list is very similar to the list black_fortress_immortal posted 3 weeks ago. Oh well...

5 hours ago, spenson said:

I'll be playing 4vs4 against one of the other games workshop from my city next saturday. I'll take my legion of azgorh (of course), but I need some advice on the list. I don't exactly know who I'll be playing with/against yet, we just started planning:

Leaders
- General
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

Battleline
- Scalding Hand Weapons

Units
3 x K'Daai Fireborn (160)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Reinforcement Points (0)

I was thinking about either:

- a) replace the fireborn with a standard bearer (or 10 fireglaives) + 10 marauders

- b) replace the 30 ironsworn with a standard bearer + 10 fireglaives (and nothing since afaik there isn't anything that costs 40 points for chaos)

I only have 6 centaurs, that's why I didn't include a unit of 6. I don't know what to think about the castellan, the range of 12" seems too short.

All comments and critics are welcome. Aaaaaand I just realized my list is very similar to the list black_fortress_immortal posted 3 weeks ago. Oh well...

a.) get rid of the Fireborn and grab another hero, imo
b.) keep the 30 Ironsworn - they are insanely cost-efficient and is a great screen

A few suggestions:
1.) I don't find that Daemonsmith is THAT vital for the Magma Cannons if you have 2 Iron Daemons, since you'll have more reliable mobility this way.  If you want to keep the K'daai for summoning flexibility, maybe swap in the BSB, or drop a K'daai for another Magma Cannon.
2.) I suggest the Great Weapon for the Bullcentaurs.
3.) I would put the Chaos Talisman on your General, since he is more vital than your Daemonsmith.

I hope this helps!  Give it a shot, since you have a lot of time to prepare.

That's alright if it's similar to my list, haha!  I've played against a lot of melee-heavy armies, and Khorne Murderhost and other rush armies gave me the most trouble, so I believe that the list I developed was a good way to counter it with proper positioning.  I see a lot of others recommending more Bull Centaurs, but you want a decent screen/bubble to take the mortal wound hits...

5 hours ago, Entombet said:

So what places LoA got on GT Finals?, i spotted 2 od them but no idea how well they played.

I think one (Ben Curry) placed 6th? At least top 10. I think the second one was on the lower half of the field. Ben played Draz, Tauruk,  6 Renders, Skullcracker and some shooty stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted this in the facebook group for AoS, but, working towards this list to try.  

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh

Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Chaos Runeblade
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)

Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000

Taur'ruk without Bulls is mostly just for buffing himself to run + charge, since the 7" move, d6" run, 2d6+1" charge adds a ton of mobility on a character that can really dish it out.  Daemonsmiths for support spellcasting, Blood of Hashut, and extending the range of the Magma Cannons.  Fireglaives for battleline requirement, boots on the ground, and Naptha.  2 x Skullcrackers for melee supremacy and blocking up the board (fits on 170mm oval, since I don't want the picks and saws hanging over the edge),  and 2 x Iron Daemons for strong medium range shooting @ -2 rend.  4 x Magma Cannons for the obvious 4d6 mortal wound potential @ 24" range.  

Matched Play Tactics:
So, this would lack the boots on the ground to contest objectives well, with the slow Fireglaives being your only source of 20+ models, but this isn't a big deal if you can thin their herd and make sure that they can't outnumber you effectively.  Turning the War Engine bases sideways, and towing the Magmas up the board can allow for early hero-sniping or melting high-armor targets/hordes.  The Skullcrackers and Iron Daemons can move a fair distance, and throw out a very high volume of (albeit random) attacks at -1 and -2 rend.  High armor heroes and behemoths will be melted or will have their armor torn to shreds,  and hordes ripped apart by the heavy power of the Skulcracker and Taur'ruk. 

1. Versus Melee rush: Make sure your Fireglaives eat the charge, but your Skullcrackers close enough behind to pile in and get some free shots in if they decide to run some cavalry or bloodletters into you.

2. Versus Shooty: Make sure you get up the board FAST.  Run your engines up, Mystic Shield a Skullcracker, and pray that your Magmas hit their mark.  Towed 10"+d6"+24" range... you should be able to melt what you need to

3. Versus Teleporty: Get to the objectives, bubble if you can, and just get in position as best as you can, since some Stormcast dropping in to Judicate you is not so much fun.

Thoughts/concerns?

Hey guys

So I’m completely new to legion (I was new to war gaming and this hobby as a whole a year ago) and it’s been fantastic, I love the gaming, social, tournaments, getting my head around painting and my new love of bashing multiple kits together, so my question to you lovely people is do you think legion can be kit bashed?

I love the idea of the centaurs and war machines but I’m not the biggest fan of some of the models. Do you think you can use chaos knights or even juggernauts as the base for centaurs and then maybe ogors or bullgors for the upper torso?

Hi i gona try to use this list on next friendly tornament. whot do you think about it? 

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Lord of War
Daemonsmith (100)
- Pyre Rune Staff
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)

Battleline
12 x Bull Centaur Renders (640)
- Scalding Great Weapon

Behemoths
Jabberslythe (120)
- Allies
Jabberslythe (120)
- Allies
Jabberslythe (120)
- Allies

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 153

The legion of azgorh can't ally with the monsters of chaos IIRC so I think your list isn't legal (the fireglaives are Legion of Azgorh Battleline).

The standard bearer wasn't that useful in the last games I played, the unit has to be wholly within 15" and he can"t move if he plants the banner. If you play a game with objectives all over the field, you won't get the reroll 1 very often.

I like playing a gaunt summoner with my legion of azgorh when I don't use Drazoath, so I still have a bit of magic.

PS : I also like cunning deceiver when I'm not playing a unit of 30 fireglaives, but I think cunning deceiver vs lord of war is a bit of a personnal choice.

hmm...  in azyr i can take monsterts of chaos as legions ally.
ok i  can make chaos allegians list.

- General
- Trait: Lord of War
Daemonsmith (100)
- Pyre Rune Staff
12 x Bull Centaur Renders (640)
- Scalding Great Weapon
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Gors (80)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
10 x Gors (80)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
Jabberslythe (120)
Jabberslythe (120)
Jabberslythe (120)
Magma Cannon (140)

Wounds: 169

24 minutes ago, spenson said:

The legion of azgorh can't ally with the monsters of chaos IIRC so I think your list isn't legal (the fireglaives are Legion of Azgorh Battleline).

The standard bearer wasn't that useful in the last games I played, the unit has to be wholly within 15" and he can"t move if he plants the banner. If you play a game with objectives all over the field, you won't get the reroll 1 very often.

I like playing a gaunt summoner with my legion of azgorh when I don't use Drazoath, so I still have a bit of magic.

PS : I also like cunning deceiver when I'm not playing a unit of 30 fireglaives, but I think cunning deceiver vs lord of war is a bit of a personnal choice.

Agreed, the BSB I'd only take if you take a Mortar or Deathshriekers.  It seems useful if taking some Iron Daemons, but otherwise, it's for the Artillery shots. 

Take Cunning Deceiver - it's more reliable and will save you in Turn 1 Combat.

Drop the Jabberslythes, and BSB.  This frees up 420 + 20pts for 440 pts.  You have a few options at 440pts.

Archived