Legion Of Azgorh Mega-Thread

Ben

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Split the bulls, drop a magma, take the Taur'uk.  D6 mortal wound's isn't worth it against an army with such crappy saves, but running and charging into them with centaurs with mult-damage swings?  Yeah I'd hedge my bets on that by FAR.

I tend to be of the opposite opinion but that's just me. The magma cannons are extremely reliable and I think most armies that have at least a few high save units. Armies like yours that have almost all crappy saves are a little more rare in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Browncoat89 said:

I tend to be of the opposite opinion but that's just me. The magma cannons are extremely reliable and I think most armies that have at least a few high save units. Armies like yours that have almost all crappy saves are a little more rare in my opinion.

Right, but he already has 2 of them.  A 3rd versus more mobility for your heavy hitters?  Run + charge + 1", it increases the threat range by d6"+1 for a big part of your army.

I agree that is a big bonus. For me personally I wouldn't probably drop Drazhoath and run both the Taur'uk and the extra magma cannon. He is a super fun model to throw on the table occasionally though. Especially for games where you want to show off a big monster with a cool paint job.

20 hours ago, Browncoat89 said:

I agree that is a big bonus. For me personally I wouldn't probably drop Drazhoath and run both the Taur'uk and the extra magma cannon. He is a super fun model to throw on the table occasionally though. Especially for games where you want to show off a big monster with a cool paint job.

Yeah, I don't like any list without Drazhoath.  His utility is GREAT, and can punch out a hero on the charge.

4 hours ago, re-hor-achti said:

Hey guys!

I search for a 1.000 points GH2017-list for weekly friendly battles and Im new with this army.

It may include a unit of bull centaur and a Taur'ruk. I have no Models yet.

Could you help?

thanks

Castellan (general)
Standard Bearer
Ironsworn x 30
Ironsworn x 30
Fireglaives x 10
Fireglaives x 10
Fireglaives x 10
1000/1000

Drazhoath
Castellan (general)
Ironsworn x 30
Fireglaives x 10
Fireglaives x 10
Fireglaives x 10
980/1000

Shar'tor (general)
Taur'ruk
Bull Centaurs x 3
Bull Centaurs x 3
Bull Centaurs x 3
Centigors x 5/Chaos Warhounds x 10
1000/1000

Castellan (general)
Standard Bearer
Ironsworn x 30
Fireglaives x 10
Iron Daemon x 1
Iron Daemon x 1
Centigors x 5/Chaos Warhounds x 10

I'm currently running the second list regularly, since it offers a lot of bodies, a strong wizard/hero that can fly, and the Castellan is amazingly resilient when you take Cunning Deceiver, coupled with Chaos Talisman - those rerolls on saves vs. attacks with rend below -2 is great.  The Centigors/Warhounds are there to fill out the final 80 odd pts in the list to add 10 wounds of fast mobility to disrupt/capture objectives.  Centigors x 5 have 10 wounds, move 12", can run+charge in same turn, and 4+ save in combat phase.  Warhounds automatically run 16" distance, so a pack of 10 can get somewhere if needed.

The final list looks interesting, because you can get that +1 wound roll vs. a key target and unload with powered up Iron Daemon shots for 8d6, 4+/2+/-2/1 reroll 1s to wound... that is A LOT of potential damage with the rerolls to wound and -2 rend.

I played  1500 pt game against Sylveneth last night and just totally wiped him off the table. I had to pull back after the top of turn 2 because I felt really bad lol. First shooting phase an Irondaemon and two magma cannons killed Drycha before she could get to me. Second shooting phase I wiped out his entire massive regiment of 30 dryads 20 Fireglaives, an Irondaemon and one of the magma canons because his general was just a little too far to get hem inpiring prensence because they popped out of the woods. My other magma canon and Irondaemon took out two of his Kurnoth Hunters. I think by the end of 3 he only had a few Kurnoth hunters, 5 sisters of the thorn, 5 spite revnants and a branchwych left on the board. This was my list:

Castellan 

BSB

Daemonsmith

20 ironsworn

20 Fireglaives 

2 Irondaemons

3 magma cannons 

(At 1500 we did 2 battleline 3 behemoth and artillery)

Just now, Browncoat89 said:

I played  1500 pt game against Sylveneth last night and just totally wiped him off the table. I had to pull back after the top of turn 2 because I felt really bad lol. First shooting phase an Irondaemon and two magma cannons killed Drycha before she could get to me. Second shooting phase I wiped out his entire massive regiment of 30 dryads 20 Fireglaives, an Irondaemon and one of the magma canons because his general was just a little too far to get hem inpiring prensence because they popped out of the woods. My other magma canon and Irondaemon took out two of his Kurnoth Hunters. I think by the end of 3 he only had a few Kurnoth hunters, 5 sisters of the thorn, 5 spite revnants and a branchwych left on the board. This was my list:

Castellan 

BSB

Daemonsmith

20 ironsworn

20 Fireglaives 

2 Irondaemons

3 magma cannons 

(At 1500 we did 2 battleline 3 behemoth and artillery)

I wasn't trying to spam magma cannons, I wanted to bring two cannons and a mortar. I was just building a 1500 pt list real last minute and I couldn't get the points to work out. I kept ending up at 1520 so I swapped it out last minute just to drop the 20 points.

2 hours ago, Browncoat89 said:

I wasn't trying to spam magma cannons, I wanted to bring two cannons and a mortar. I was just building a 1500 pt list real last minute and I couldn't get the points to work out. I kept ending up at 1520 so I swapped it out last minute just to drop the 20 points.

Looks good... Iron Daemons are so absurd at the moment (in a good way)... I may look at getting 2 into my list next time.  I think the damage output from 20 Fireglaives > 1 Iron Daemon when you take the Castellan into account, but then again, the random shots could really go your way and the -2 rend is immense.

On 9/9/2017 at 10:36 AM, James Ramsay said:

After some testing the list I've found most effective is:

daemonsmith 

3x10 fireglaives

4 magma cannons

4 iron daemons

gaunt summoner with familiars allied

30 brimstone horrors allied

100 points for a balewind or some daemons. 

Brimstone Horrors are an interesting addition. They're even kinda thematic!

1 minute ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

I like the idea of Brimstone Horrors, since 30 for 100 is a steal, even though they evaporate on contact, haha.  I still favor massive regiments of Ironsworn...

30 for 100 is completely absurd!  I forgot they even get a massive regiment discount.

One thing I was wondering about -- is it still kosher to take familiars with the Gaunt Summoner? The warscroll on the website makes no mention of the familiars.

3 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

30 for 100 is completely absurd!  I forgot they even get a massive regiment discount.

One thing I was wondering about -- is it still kosher to take familiars with the Gaunt Summoner? The warscroll on the website makes no mention of the familiars.

Silver tower one is ok still and is in disciple of tzeentch list/faction.

Hey so I'm thinking of taking the plunge with the Legion (been eyeing them for years), but my biggest concern is working with resin. I've never purchased a resin model from Forge World though so I don't know how they stack up compared to other companies. Can you share your experiences regarding the models themselves (air pockets, bending, etc) and also how you worked around them?

4 minutes ago, Cinncinnatus said:

Hey so I'm thinking of taking the plunge with the Legion (been eyeing them for years), but my biggest concern is working with resin. I've never purchased a resin model from Forge World though so I don't know how they stack up compared to other companies. Can you share your experiences regarding the models themselves (air pockets, bending, etc) and also how you worked around them?

It can definitely be tedious but it's rewarding to have the outcome look great. Be prepared to carefully file and trim with both an exacto knife and also a sanding sponge is great. Also greenstuff will be used frequently to close gaps and make things properly flush 

@Cinncinnatus sure thing :)

firstly forgeworld stuff is a lot better now.  For things like banner poles and the like i'd still try and swap out for plastic or metal rod but otherwise the legion stuff is not too bad.

Bending can be solved by gentle hair dryer or hot water, and then just hold in shape till it cools - you'll be doing a lot of that on the carriages for the artillery.

I've not had that much in the way of air pockets but again if they're small enough just fill with superglue.  You need to remember that FW resin is a different formulation to finecast which is just a bit cheap and nasty stuff in moulds designed for metal.

If you buy new genuine forgeworld customer service is very good at just replacing, and more often than not they send out the new parts without wanting the old ones back - there are exceptions like when everyone who bought a bloodthirster rang them trying to blag a second axe to recreate skarbrand, so they just asked for the naff one to be returned first.

One thing I will say is that you need to approach Forgeworld models pretty much like a dwarf with all the time in the world.  It's not like plastic that you can throw together with your eyes shut.   lots of dry building to make sure things fit nicely before you commit to glueing.

Wash everything thoroughly and then wash it again.

There's nothing to be scared off, but you need to take your time with everything - anyone who's put fireglaives together will tell you that they're an exercise in patience, that's why dry builds are a must, becasue you get your head around how it all goes together and how to hold it best when glueing. :)

look at it as thinking man's modelling.

I’ve had little problem with forgeworlds resin stuff. No problems so far with the small models, although the Infernal Guards are teeth gnashingly fiddly. Had a couple of miscast bits from some of the warmachines but Forgeworld have been really efficient and have had no quibbles about replacing them, and I did have to cut and extend one of the warmachines chains as it won’t go around the wheel spokes. Some of the bigger models definitely need a bit of green stuff, and there’s plenty of flash to clean off most bits.

And you will definitely need to wash them. A recommendation from an ex-forgeworld employee was to soak them in lukewarm, soapy (washing up liquid) water for 10 mins, scrub gently with a toothbrush, rinse and scrub with cold water, wrap in a towel (I use an old t-shirt) and leave to dry in a warm place for 24 hours. So far I’ve never had any problems with paint not sticking to them use this method.

This being said the time spent will reward you with some of the coolest and best looking models GW make.

...oh and I recommend you get a small hobby saw of some sort for removing the larger bits of excess resin. Like an idiot i didn't  and managed to snap part off a model...ok so that might have been me, but it is a useful bit of kit.

Archived