Legion Of Azgorh Mega-Thread

Ben

1 minute ago, Andreas said:

You are right, 1860pt. The cost was a bit off in my spreadsheet, I had the K'Daai for 140pt. Thank you.

But this makes this so much harder. I can get another Magma Cannon for 140pt and I have the modell. Or I can get the BSB and have a problem spending the other 40pt on something usefull. 

But I do think that another Magma will over the course of the game probably give you more than the reroll on the Mortar and I suspect that the Iron daemon could quite quickly be out of range. But it's not given and I have no play experience with LoA. For me the Mortal I believe it will repay it self even if I miss every single shoot just because it looks so scary and could be so devastating that opponents that haven't play LoA that much (e.i. all opponents) will put too much effort in killing it that it will be beneficial to me. 

Any advice how to convert the Renders do you just take away the shields and run them as is?

Try it with the Magma Cannon.  D6 mortal wounds with reroll on 10+ models has more often than not resulted in 5s and 6s.  

And as for the Renders, I've seen people in other groups that have used Bullgor/Minotaur great weapons, as the hands are the same size.  I just go "counts as" for now.  -2 rend is immense.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Andreas said:

What do you think of this list?

1 Drazhoath the Ashen
1 Bull Centaur Taur'uk, Cunning Deceiver, Chaos Runeblade
1 Daemonsmith
30 Infernal Guard Ironsworn
10 Infernal Guard Fireglaives
10 Infernal Guard Fireglaives
6 Bull Centaur Renders
3 K'Daai Fireborn (Summoning pool)
1 Dreadquake Mortar
1 Magma Cannon
1 Iron Daemon

It feels like a quite balanced list. I have not tried it, I'm still working on getting the legion painted. But I like to have a list to work towards.

I could switch the K'Daai for another magma but I am thinking the threat of summoning K'Daai with Drazhoath  into their backline could be effective.

I like the standard bearer but I am not sure how to get him in the list.

Do anyone have a good idea how to convert the Bull Centaurs (forgeworld) to have great weapons? (Otherwise I would probably go with shields.)

After working some things out, I've come up with something similar that you can try.  I'm trying it this week hopefully:

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Chaos Runeblade
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
- Legion of Azgorh Battleline
3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)
- Scalding Great Weapon
- Legion of Azgorh Battleline (Shar'tor General)
- Scalding Great Weapon

War Machines
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120)

Total: 1980/2000

Very similar idea to your list, with a few differences.  

No Drazhoath.  He is an awesome wizard, but for 100pts less, you can have Shar'tor which can stay behind your front lines if you think they will be charged, so he can activate his anti-horde mask ability.  

The Taur'ruk will stay as the general for his awesome run+charge command ability.  The Bull Centaurs will roam and strike whatever needs to, in a pack with the Taur'ruk and Shar'tor, while the Ironsworn/Fireglaives hold the line and let loose with the Artillery barrage.  Daemonsmith for Mystic Shielding whomever needs it.  This is missing the BSB for rerolls of 1s to wound for the Deathshrieker, but they reroll 1s against horde units for wounds when they're 10+ models anyways (I've triggered -2 bravery on a unit of chaos marauders with Drazhoath+Deathshrieker, thinning the horde to score an objective point before).

Double Magma Cannons and Double Deathshriekers.  Both can be anti-horde, but the ability to shoot models out of LOS makes for GREAT hero-killers, and the Magma Cannons can 1 shot most heroes 33% of the time.  Tzaangor Shamans will cry against the -1 rend D3 dmg shots, and Bloodwarriors or anyone else you don't want to engage in the combat phase with your Bulls.  I found this to be a very big deal.  You don't want certain units to die in the  combat phase, such as Bloodwarriors, Wrathmongers, Skullreapers, etc. so it's great to have shooting that can bypass their save and instantly remove some models - soften them up for the big boys to charge in!

I find this list as dabbling in the best of both worlds - strong shooting phase, and deadly charge to combat phases.  You are able to deal wounds in almost every phase, and even augment enemy bravery in battleshock phase with the Deathshriekers - this way your army is having an effect in EVERY phase of the round.  Cunning Deceiver is a must-have against strong alpha strikes but if you're playing against Nurgle or some awkward stuff, then feel free to take Great Destroyer - a 33% chance for a +1 to hit when piling in will give Shar'tor and friends a bit of boost in damage.  You will miss out on superior spellcasting with Drazhoath, but at least you will have 1 Wizard who can throw that vital Mystic Shield/Ash Storm/Arcane Bolt as needed - he's also pretty hardy and can pump out some melee pain with his 3+/3+ rending attacks (haha).

2 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

After working some things out, I've come up with something similar that you can try.  I'm trying it this week hopefully:

Leaders
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Chaos Runeblade
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
- Scalding Great Weapon
- Scalding Great Weapon

War Machines
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 1980/2000

I need to test it but I think I maybe need Draz for scenario play. Durable in the hero mission and fast and flying to threathen objectives in the opponents zone.

But you got me to realize I maybe should split the renders.

Regarding the mortar, I think the threat of blowing up a unit is really worth something (he might put to much effort in killing it or taking first turn for IP) but it's hard to calculate a value on it. Have to try it. Otherwise i like the other artillery better for consistency.

36 minutes ago, Andreas said:

I need to test it but I think I maybe need Draz for scenario play. Durable in the hero mission and fast and flying to threathen objectives in the opponents zone.

Regarding the mortar, I think the threat of blowing up a unit is really worth something (he might put to much effort in killing it or taking first turn for IP) but it's hard to calculate a value on it. Have to try it. Otherwise i like the other artillery better for consistency.

Don't forget now it is heroes or behemoths. I can't wait to use my skullcracker for that mission. With mystic shield you've got a 2+ save, it will heal each round it is on an objective and be dishing out 3-4d6 attacks each turn with some Irondaemons and artillery backing it up.

51 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Drazhoath is too expensive to fit the other vital units.  If you get that one scenario, you may have to bite the bullet and either down their Behemoth, or thin their horde - something Chaos Dwarfs can do fairly well.  If you want Drazhoath, I'd load up on Ironsworn/Fireglaives and ignore loading up on Bull Centaurs.

Split the Renders.  The bases are large enough, and you can split off and hit different targets pretty well.

Right, but a mortar without rerolls and a chance at just 1 shot statistically has a 55% chance to do absolutely nothing.  The chances of you rolling the double shot and hitting with both shots is 22%, and you have a 50% chance at giving a second shot (essentially a single reroll) which improves your odds a bit.  Then you have the risk of rolling duds for damage on 2d6.. 2 to 12 damage is a large split for sure.  240pts for statistically higher chances of doing wounds is better when you don't have rerolls, plus Deathshriekers have it built-in. 

1 hour ago, Browncoat89 said:

Don't forget now it is heroes or behemoths. I can't wait to use my skullcracker for that mission. With mystic shield you've got a 2+ save, it will heal each round it is on an objective and be dishing out 3-4d6 attacks each turn with some Irondaemons and artillery backing it up.

That is something I had not thought of! Something I need to have a look at. But behemoths doesn't heal I think.

53 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Drazhoath is too expensive to fit the other vital units.  If you get that one scenario, you may have to bite the bullet and either down their Behemoth, or thin their horde - something Chaos Dwarfs can do fairly well.  If you want Drazhoath, I'd load up on Ironsworn/Fireglaives and ignore loading up on Bull Centaurs.

You have good points but I mainly play tournament play and I like to try for a win so I need to consider all scenarios and make the list to be as much take all comers as possible. But I am not a WAAC player and I like different themed cool armies and want to be a little bit of an underdog. There for I am going to build a LoA - list. ☺️ 

14 minutes ago, Andreas said:

That is something I had not thought of! Something I need to have a look at. But behemoths doesn't heal I think.

You have good points but I mainly play tournament play and I like to try for a win so I need to consider all scenarios and make the list to be as much take all comers as possible. But I am not a WAAC player and I like different themed cool armies and want to be a little bit of an underdog. There for I am going to build a LoA - list. ☺️ 

If you want to play tournaments, I'd worry about playtesting the new stuff.   A lot of tournaments have sideboards AFAIK, and it's not so hard to sub in Drazhoath in that case.  If you want to win tournaments, don't take a Dreadquake w/o buff support, and build around mortal wounds like Shar'tor and Magma Cannons.  It is also Heroes OR Behemoths.  There are 3 heroes, 2 of which can run + charge in the same turn.

22 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Ah yes you are right behemoths don't heal, I just double checked, thanks for pointing that out.

10 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

If you want to play tournaments, I'd worry about playtesting the new stuff.   A lot of tournaments have sideboards AFAIK, and it's not so hard to sub in Drazhoath in that case.  If you want to win tournaments, don't take a Dreadquake w/o buff support, and build around mortal wounds like Shar'tor and Magma Cannons.  It is also Heroes OR Behemoths.  There are 3 heroes, 2 of which can run + charge in the same turn.

And yeah in my tournament list I ran all magma cannons for my artillery and it worked great. 

5 minutes ago, Browncoat89 said:

And yeah in my tournament list I ran all magma cannons for my artillery and it worked great. 

I do own 4 magma cannons (only 2 are assembled), but I've always ran the dual Deathshrieker because I usually play with tall terrain.  I'll have to try the quad-magmas, haha... I could easily see 20 mortal wounds thrown out per shooting phase.

6 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

I do own 4 magma cannons (only 2 are assembled), but I've always ran the dual Deathshrieker because I usually play with tall terrain.  I'll have to try the quad-magmas, haha... I could easily see 20 mortal wounds thrown out per shooting phase.

Yeah for tournaments I've found it is just brutal. I usually rush forward a little more and make sure I run two daemonsmiths to give them the extra needed range but you can really easily eliminate the most threatening things in the first couple rounds. Just have to watch out for those freaking kurnoth hunters with bows lol. Great for deleting huge monsters though.

1 hour ago, Browncoat89 said:

Yeah for tournaments I've found it is just brutal. I usually rush forward a little more and make sure I run two daemonsmiths to give them the extra needed range but you can really easily eliminate the most threatening things in the first couple rounds. Just have to watch out for those freaking kurnoth hunters with bows lol. Great for deleting huge monsters though.

Luckily, our Artillery gets +1 to save versus MISSILE ATTACKS, rather than SHOOTING PHASE, which can make a bit of a difference versus certain lists that allow hero/charge phase actions.

Well I probably should refrase it. I only play att tournaments and i like to win but if I really should build a list that can win a large tournament I probably only would keep the magmas from the LoA range.

I want to be able to win some tournament games using only LoA models and not being to spammy e.i. 4 magma or 10x10 fireglaves etc... And I would like to try to make a game of every scenario and against every/most lists, e.i. not build to win a specific one more balanced. Not easy with LoA bit I think it is possible.

4 hours ago, Andreas said:

Well I probably should refrase it. I only play att tournaments and i like to win but if I really should build a list that can win a large tournament I probably only would keep the magmas from the LoA range.

I want to be able to win some tournament games using only LoA models and not being to spammy e.i. 4 magma or 10x10 fireglaves etc... And I would like to try to make a game of every scenario and against every/most lists, e.i. not build to win a specific one more balanced. Not easy with LoA bit I think it is possible.

Yeah and I'll play in tournaments from time to time but I think  that's the only reason I still prefer narrative events or casual games. Most of the time it seems like you almost have to spam something to really be in that top tier of competition. It really isn't as fun, I love making themed armies but at my local tournaments I just face lists like Kairos with 3 lords of change and pink horrors or 3 thundertusks with the 240 shot kunnin rukk. I started just bringing my themed armies anyway and landing half way down the board. I wish there were more players at tournaments that would run balanced lists.

6 hours ago, Browncoat89 said:

Yeah and I'll play in tournaments from time to time but I think  that's the only reason I still prefer narrative events or casual games. Most of the time it seems like you almost have to spam something to really be in that top tier of competition. It really isn't as fun, I love making themed armies but at my local tournaments I just face lists like Kairos with 3 lords of change and pink horrors or 3 thundertusks with the 240 shot kunnin rukk. I started just bringing my themed armies anyway and landing half way down the board. I wish there were more players at tournaments that would run balanced lists.

With our buffs, I can honestly see Chaos Dwarfs moving up the totem pole a bit.  I don't seriously see Kunnin Rukk giving us too much trouble with their changes and a heavy Ironsworn list, and all of the anti-horde and bravery-reducing abilities that we have.

29 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

With our buffs, I can honestly see Chaos Dwarfs moving up the totem pole a bit.  I don't seriously see Kunnin Rukk giving us too much trouble with their changes and a heavy Ironsworn list, and all of the anti-horde and bravery-reducing abilities that we have.

Oh I agree now with the new changes I'm super excited to see how we do.

I actually lost to SOULBLIGHT with my above list on this page... haha.

Duality of Death... the bane for slow armies that deploy last.

Soulblight ran up to objectives, 1st turn charged my line, killing a ton, losing more to battleshock.  Bull centaurs and Tauruk retaliated with some charges next turn, and shot off the VLoZD.  I started to move up the board with the run+charge command ability, but failed with some of the centaurs.  He got next turn, counter-charging my bull centaurs and fireglaives who were moving out, as the bat swarms flew RIGHT in and debuffed my shooting with their 12" radius uuugh (it was a 20 wound blob too).  He had the bloodline for 6+ save unlimited range and actually saved quite a few.  Was a good game, but lost on some clutch rolls, getting his last heroes down to 1 wound and having mine fail oh so many saves.

On 9/5/2017 at 5:49 PM, FERRUMITE said:

For those interested, it seems there is a bit in the new Spear of Shadows novel about the Chaos Dwarfs, where they are referred to as 'Furnace Kings'

IMG_3006.PNG

That's really good. Being given the "kharadron overlords" treatment as "furnace kings" is a step out of the legacy pit. Possible battletome next year?

Cool find. They've used two different names now (Zharr Gorroth, Furnace Kings). It's hard to predict whether we'll become an integral part of the fluff or whether we're destined to just be a shadowy force of baddies off to the side... Furnace Kings doesn't really capture the super-religious aspect of Chaos Dwarf culture. Nice to get a mention though. When Khorne introduced their own blacksmiths (Skullgrinders) I started to wonder a bit whether we were being squatted.

8 hours ago, Roark said:

Cool find. They've used two different names now (Zharr Gorroth, Furnace Kings). It's hard to predict whether we'll become an integral part of the fluff or whether we're destined to just be a shadowy force of baddies off to the side... Furnace Kings doesn't really capture the super-religious aspect of Chaos Dwarf culture. Nice to get a mention though. When Khorne introduced their own blacksmiths (Skullgrinders) I started to wonder a bit whether we were being squatted.

I have always assumed Zharr Goroth as a race depiction and not really an "army denomination", but it is true that it follows the binomic structure so it can be that too. I feel like Legion of Azgorh will be a very difficult category to wipe unless we get recognised as something else (either zharr or kings). I was on the making of a personalised battletome of the warscrolls, settled near the sea of Ghur called Zharr Expeditioneers, but I'm probably trashing the idea if we are starting to get mentioned.

This is the army I will be using on Warhammer TV next Wednesday evening (6pm GMT)

Ben Curry - Legion Of Azgorh

Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Pyre Rune Staff
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)
- Artefact: Favour of the Gods
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)

10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
6 x Bull Centaur Renders (360)
- Scalding Hand Weapons
- Spite-shields

Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 1980/2000

I've tried to fit in aspects of all the cool stuff but its really tough. I feel the list might be a bit more rounded with a Tau'ruk instead of the 3rd Cannon but i'm happy with how it feels.

One thing I did notice was the difficulty in fitting in a massive Reg. 240 for 30 ironsworn is a weird number. I kept ending up at 1920 or 2020 points.

what do you all think? 

19 minutes ago, Ben said:
This is the army I will be using on Warhammer TV next Wednesday evening (6pm GMT)

Ben Curry - Legion Of Azgorh

Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Pyre Rune Staff
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)
- Artefact: Favour of the Gods
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)

6 x Bull Centaur Renders (360)
- Scalding Hand Weapons
- Spite-shields

Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 1980/2000

I've tried to fit in aspects of all the cool stuff but its really tough. I feel the list might be a bit more rounded with a Tau'ruk instead of the 3rd Cannon but i'm happy with how it feels.

One thing I did notice was the difficulty in fitting in a massive Reg. 240 for 30 ironsworn is a weird number. I kept ending up at 1920 or 2020 points.

what do you all think? 

Looks good to me, but I think that taking two cannons and the Tau'ruk might be more beneficial, giving the renders the little charge boost. We'll all be intently watching and cheering you on. Hail Hashut!

Archived