Legion Of Azgorh Mega-Thread

Ben

With all the massive changes to Age of Sigmar I am really happy that my beloved Legion of Azgorh received the same treatment.  

Since the Age of Sigmar rules for these models first were released I have been constantly underwhelmed by certain areas of the range so I am massively happy to see these updates.  

I have always maintained that there are problems with the rules that couldn’t be resolved by points and still retain the ’feel’ of the faction, to the point that in some instances I would like to see the points increase, but the rules get better to suit.

I’m going to go through the units and talk about the changes and how I feel they will have an impact on army building.  

Leaders. 

Drazhoath The Ashen is the Leader of the Legion of Azgorh and I thought he was always a bit on the expensive side.  His changes come with a double sided blade.  He has reduced in points by a sizeable amount but also lost a little of his damage output in exchange for his amulet saving mortal wounds on a 5+ and rebounding all saves! pretty good.  

I think I will still use this guy and he fit in the exact same role as before.  Either a magic platform to fly into position and sit there for the game casting spells, or a flying blocker to use his bulk and 13 woulds and survivability to hold up the opponent.  

Shar’tor the Executioner is up next.  He came down in points a little and his Darktide axe ability changed instead of doing an extra attack, each 6 will dish out additional damage. His hooves attacks changed to be inline with the rest of the Centaurs. 

The Taur’ruk  has had quite a change and I think he is one of the big winners in the update.  Down to 160 points, He adds 1” to the charge and run rolls of all friendly Ba’hal units, so the Characters also get this rather than it being a rule unique to the Renders.  The Unstoppable charge command ability now effects all Ba’hal units instead of picking a single one.  I think my future list swill all have a Taur’uk as a general and probably also use 2 of them.  

Demonsmiths are largely unchanged.  They have a bit more useful special rule for their magic armour and the Pyre Rune staff has 3 damage but they are still a staple choice of the legion armies.  

The Castallan is unchanged other than a new spite shield wording. 

The final Leader is the Battle Standard Bearer.  This chap had a points increase to 100points but his wounds are now 5 instead of 4.  The Banner of Black Malice now gives reroll wound rolls of 1 to all Legion units wholly within 15”.  this is a huge ability boost and will make him a fragile, but key part of the legion lists.  

Units

I’ll start on the units with my favourite changes. The Bull Centar Renders.  up in points to 180 for 3 but oh my what a happy way to spend 20 more points.  An extra wound pre model so they now have wounds equal to what the model looks like it should have.  They lose a ‘to hit’ so down to 4+ but the gain Rend -1 and Damage 2 on normal attacks, and the great weapons gain rend -2.  Paired weapons will swing at 4+ to hit, reroll 1’s, 3’s to wound, reroll 1’s with a BSB nearby and rend -1 damage 2.  This is a huge change for this unit and I can see them showing up in other Chaos list now too.  

The next change that really looks to be great on the table is the K’daai Fireborn.  The unit has gone from 100 points to 160 so a massive hike, but they gain a wound each per model.  an extra attack, better to hit and a lower summoning spell value.  They also reroll 1’s to hit.  So lots of bonuses here but also a high points cost.  I’m looking forwards to testing these out and seeing how they fit on the table. 

Fireglaives were previously my go to infantry unit.  They have some changes to their shooting attacks.  no longer do you need 10 or more models to get the bonus vs monsters, but now that bonus is no longer shoot twice.  instead it is +1 to wound, which will cause a double damage on a 5+ and you will get to re-roll 1’s with the BSB.  At 100 points the feel like they lost some out and out spectacular damage vs monsters, but also that is more inline with what a basic missile troop should be.  I will be running these in multiple units on 10 guys to maximise the access to the champions and their bomb attacks.  

Infernal Ironsworn see the spite shield wording has been tidied up.  It now dishes out mortal wounds but only to units in meele range.   Icon Bearers are better too with a flat +1 bravery. The best change is that they are now battleline rather than Battleline IF Legin army.  The means you can take a full Chaos army using only Legion units and fit in the odd other chaos unit here and there (HELLCANNON!!!!!)

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man I am so excited, mortal wounds for the Ironsworn and the double damage for Fireglaives being on a 6+ now which will give amazing synergy with the command ability from the castellen and 3+ save for the war machines along with all the points reductions! Wahoo! Merry Christmas boys! Lol the fact that each warengine can only haul one artillery piece means I'll have to rework my list a lot because I can't have two iron daemons towing two artillery each anymore but it'll be well worth it with all the other changes, I'm thrilled!

Man, I typed up a huge list of changes but you guys got to it as well before I could post them. 

Some thoughts:

• Allies are huge and will extend the interest of this faction enormously. If you want to keep the feel of the old greenskin slaves, then perhaps brayherds would be a good choice? That said, with no allegiance package the need to take allies is relatively reduced unless you want to take the battleline if choices.
  • I kinda wish other chaos armies could take Legion as allies.
  • Lammasu is gone =(
  • Renders look better, as others have said. Not convinced on Fireborn, but I'll have to do the math
  • Iron Daemon is WAY better now. Cheaper, +1 save, fixed movement (huzzah), and the steam gun now has rend 2. The More Power ability is also a lot more powerful. Fixed movement makes the artillery haul ability more interesting
  • Dreadquake Mortar is HUGELY buffed. Massive price drop, 2 more wounds and the Slave Masters ability no longer causes a mortal wound when it works! I somehow ended up with three of these, and now I'm glad I have them. With Massive Regiments abounding, I suspect these will have more good targets, too.
  • I still wish Draz was a little better, as his model is so fantastic. 

I'm glad that they fixed the BSB... rerolls of 1's to wound will help immensely with our shooting.

Did they really have to take 1 attack away from Drazhoath's Sceptre (now a Brazier) in order to drop him 60pts?

K'daai look more monstrous now... definitely going to be taking them now.

Iron Daemon having 4d6 shots is better than rerolling the randoms, imo, as well as 10" movement and a 3+ (!!!) save.

I'm glad they cleared the wording up on the Ironsworn and Fireglaives' abilities being "mortal wound" and "6+" for pyrelock weapons.

Bullcentaurs got a HUGE buff... -2 rend AND 2dmg?   Wow... gonna have to paint mine up.

Ninja buff to Daemonsmith melee ;)

No allegiance makes me sad :( BUT we will fight on with greater strength this time around! 

Just now, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Well they're NOT going to be in the book, so what's on the site is what's there, right?

yes, yes I know, but I was trying to be optimistic that maybe some abilities might land tomorrow. Unlikely I know.  A book would be great, but yes that's about as likely as my skin wolves and mammoth getting marks of chaos again.

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

lets see what lands tomorrow  - after all Ben said we'd be happy bunnies.

Such a hard sell!!!!  

Here, have times of amazing changes. 

"OMG Is that all". ?????

49 minutes ago, Ben said:

Such a hard sell!!!!  

Here, have times of amazing changes. 

"OMG Is that all". ?????

oh well , worth a go, I wasn't really after anything new; 

I was more hoping for a few sprinkles such as artefacts and abilities - a mini battletome if you will.

52 minutes ago, Ben said:

So me your lists guys. I want to see what people are doing with this update. 

Drazhoath the Ashen
Daemonsmith (General; Cunning Deceiver)
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (Crown of Conquest)
30 Ironsworn
20 Fireglaives
3 K'daai Fireborn
3 K'daai Fireborn
Iron Daemon 
2 Deathshriekers
2 Magma Cannons

Comes out to 2000pts on the nose.  

The plan is to deploy an arc of ironsworn around an area close to objective, k'daai on the (out)sides depending on enemy deployment, or keeping them back for summoning, depending on the enemy army/setup.  Fireglaives behind the Ironsworn, and Iron Daemon and Artillery near the front of the deployment zone, keeping everything relatively "tight."  Snipe key heroes with Deathshriekers, and get the magmas in range of their battleline blobs of models 10+.  The new 4d6 shots and -2 rend on the Iron Daemon is just... great.. I'll have that up there if my Ironsworn score a good run roll.  The K'daai will flank or fly over/claim objectives as needed, but the goal is to have the long line of Ironsworn tied up.  Let the Artillery do the work, and have Drazhoath hit up the backline as able.  I'm looking forward to those banner rerolls.  Cunning Deceiver is to soften the blow of 1st turn charges, and 1st turn snipes... I'm HOPING the enemy lets me go first so that I can kill their buffing units, but usually once they see the Deathshriekers, they want to get in my face as fast as possible... and I pray to Hashut for the double turn.

I'm waiting to plan lists with allies till I see the new points in the GH tomorrow but for just the Legion here's a list  dying to try. The pride of the Chaos Dwarves is their artillery and war engines, my Dawi Zharr will show it! 

Drazhoath 320

10 Ironsworn 420

10 Fireglaives 520

10 Fireglaives 620

Dreadquake mortar 780

Dreadquake mortar 940

magma cannon 1080

magma cannon 1220

Irondaemon 1400

Irondaemon 1580

skullcracker warengine 1780

daemonsmith 1880

Castellan 2000

maximum 4 artillery and 4 behemoths with a few disgraced Dwarves to get in the way. If I feel like I need more reliable firepower I may trade Drazhoath or the skullcracker to run the artillery train battalion. 

6 minutes ago, Browncoat89 said:

I'm waiting to plan lists with allies till I see the new points in the GH tomorrow but for just the Legion here's a list  dying to try. The pride of the Chaos Dwarves is their artillery and war engines, my Dawi Zharr will show it! 

Drazhoath 320

10 Ironsworn 420

10 Fireglaives 520

10 Fireglaives 620

Dreadquake mortar 780

Dreadquake mortar 940

magma cannon 1080

magma cannon 1220

Irondaemon 1400

Irondaemon 1580

skullcracker warengine 1780

daemonsmith 1880

Castellan 2000

maximum 4 artillery and 4 behemoths with a few disgraced Dwarves to get in the way. If I feel like I need more reliable firepower I may trade Drazhoath or the skullcracker to run the artillery train battalion. 

I need to find a way to squeeze a BSB in there too :/

Archived