Legion Of Azgorh Mega-Thread

Ben

1 hour ago, Blackspine said:

Not really. 
It will help the game a lot. 
It makes the 3 lines of 10-20 fireglaives slightly less appealing. They still CAN shoot, just only within 3". whtich is still pretty good. 
It does make a HORDE of ironsworn more appealing.

Bull Centuars became a lot more useful, as they can take up large spaces of the board, tie down enemy shooting and make it hard to get to our lines.

Mirroring what was said before; if your artillery is in combat, you've already lost them.  Not a lot of things can get there easily, that and you may have some 'artillery guards' nearby.

I agree on most counts, but with the ability for the enemy to deepstrike or summon/spawn units more reliably in the hero-phase, it'll be easier for them to tie-up the artillery.  Tankiest artillery in the game means nothing if you can't shoot down the field while taking hits.  I've had no problems letting the Magma Cannons or Mortar tank hits.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

I agree on most counts, but with the ability for the enemy to deepstrike or summon/spawn units more reliably in the hero-phase, it'll be easier for them to tie-up the artillery.  Tankiest artillery in the game means nothing if you can't shoot down the field while taking hits.  I've had no problems letting the Magma Cannons or Mortar tank hits.

Good point. 
I don't know the new(er) summoning rules, but guess they'll be similar? You'll just have to have a 'baby sitting' unit or position artillery defensively. 
That 10 pack of ironsworn may have just become more useful as a picket. 

Sad to see the faction focus series is over, and once again FW are too lazy to even spend an hour to write a quick blurb about our Chorfs...
I know they have a new AoS team and they are surely busy, but dang, is it seriously THAT much effort to at least say if something is planned for Legion of Azgorh or not? It's just endless frustration it feels.

6 minutes ago, FERRUMITE said:

Sad to see the faction focus series is over, and once again FW are too lazy to even spend an hour to write a quick blurb about our Chorfs...
I know they have a new AoS team and they are surely busy, but dang, is it seriously THAT much effort to at least say if something is planned for Legion of Azgorh or not? It's just endless frustration it feels.

Calmdown and paint some chaos dwarf :)

Personnally, i can't wait to see what is going on with the K'daii Fireborn and the new summoning system. I hope they will manage to build a little synergy around that.  The only sad thing with FW... I am pretty sure we will have to wait couple weeks, even month after DAY 1 of new edition to have news from them.  I hope I am wrong on that

34 minutes ago, Qcbob025 said:

Calmdown and paint some chaos dwarf :)

Personnally, i can't wait to see what is going on with the K'daii Fireborn and the new summoning system. I hope they will manage to build a little synergy around that.  The only sad thing with FW... I am pretty sure we will have to wait couple weeks, even month after DAY 1 of new edition to have news from them.  I hope I am wrong on that

How soon after GHB2017 did they update stuff for LoA?

Last update was August 2017, so I guess it wasn't too soon after. Hopefully they do more than just some cursory point adjustments here and there. Bit of a revision would be nice seen as every other faction had been touched on either directly or indirectly.

Was having a conversation this week about how it seems each release introduces a power shift in the game with most new stuff being stronger / more dynamic / flexible than existing. (This isn't a stormcast always win point just to be clear) we've already suffered at the hands of some downgrades and balance tweaks and with the new rules shifting too it'd be nice to still be a viable option and not being kicked over the table becsuse everyone else has nice new toys but we don't would be nice!

Went 4-1 at an east coast GT here in the US (NJ)  hosted by Mythicos Gaming (Triumph GT). I believe there were around 40 players.  It was a very well put together event and the staff were great.

Round 1 (Major Victory): Border War - Ironjawz

Round 2 (Minor Victory): Knife to the Heart - Tzeentch Changehost

Round 3 (Major Victory): Starstrike - Blades of Khorne

Round 4 (Major Loss): Three Places of Power - Stormcast Vanguard Wing

Round 5 (Major Victory): Scorched Earth - Sylvaneth Gnarlroot Wargrove

In summation: I believe that our army is in a very good place balance-wise, but we do lack many tools to deal with some combos. I think we rely on proper deployment, magma cannons, and cunning deceiver. Without those three, we can't win versus top combos like Tzeentch Changehost or Stormcast Vanguard Wing.   Against Vanguard Wing, me winning came down to Drazhoath's run roll to seize a key position, where I needed a 2+, but rolled a 1. Such is life, but had a blast, and the psychological effect of a sinister looking army is nothing to sneer at. I welcome any changes to bring us in line with other factions.

Do y'all tend to try to hero snipe with artillery? I feel like its sub optimal since I miss out on the bonuses vs 10+ model units. I just had a game vs flesheaters where i decided to focus on shooting gouls to try to thin them out before they got to me. Unfortunately due to abysmal rolling and ghoul regeneration I didn't kill enough and got crushed in melee.  I could have shot his heros to lessen the regeneration but then I would still have a ton of ghouls to deal with. 

Maybe I should have not gone for the centerline objectives to give more time for shooting and then try to catch up later? All my other armies are melee so I'm still adapting to a ranged focus.

22 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

Do y'all tend to try to hero snipe with artillery? I feel like its sub optimal since I miss out on the bonuses vs 10+ model units. I just had a game vs flesheaters where i decided to focus on shooting gouls to try to thin them out before they got to me. Unfortunately due to abysmal rolling and ghoul regeneration I didn't kill enough and got crushed in melee.  I could have shot his heros to lessen the regeneration but then I would still have a ton of ghouls to deal with. 

Maybe I should have not gone for the centerline objectives to give more time for shooting and then try to catch up later? All my other armies are melee so I'm still adapting to a ranged focus.

It depends.  I use the magma cannons on the biggest threat.  Versus units like Bloodletter hordes, I throw the magma into them, along with some Iron Daemon shots, since they'll have no save, and then charge some Bull Centaur/Taur'ruk to further whittle them down.  Sometimes you may have to hero snipe.  Against most heroes, (5 wound), you have a 33% chance to kill them, basically.

37 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

It depends.  I use the magma cannons on the biggest threat.  Versus units like Bloodletter hordes, I throw the magma into them, along with some Iron Daemon shots, since they'll have no save, and then charge some Bull Centaur/Taur'ruk to further whittle them down.  Sometimes you may have to hero snipe.  Against most heroes, (5 wound), you have a 33% chance to kill them, basically.

My magma cannon that game did more damage in melee than shooting. (2 wounds vs 0 mortal wounds) It was hilariously bad luck.

Whilst I appreciate a lot of the lists here are very artillery heavy, how do people feel about a mixed list of LoA and Nurgle? I'm currently toying (but have yet to field) with a mixed list that I think looks kinda fun. It appears that a lot of the strength of the faction is in the heavy metal, but I don't have any and I'm saving my pennies for the new edition release!  I'm hoping to squeeze even more out of this with the new summoning mechanic to get some fireborn on the field, but need to wait for details! Currently this list is also 20 points over 2k, but I'm expecting at least one of these things to have a points drop here or there to even it out!

Leaders:

Drazhoath the Ashen

Infernal Guard Castellan

Bull Centaur Taur'ruk

Sayl the Faithless & Nightmaw

Chaos Sorcerer Lord

Battleline:

10x ironsworn

10x ironsworn

10x plaguebearers

Behemoth:

1x Gigantic Chaos Spawn

Other:

3x plague drones

20x fireglaives

3x plague ogors

What are you thoughts?

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but we have an official GW picture of a Chaos Duardin hold!!

This is from the new WD map poster which is from the new core book! Goodness here's hoping we actually see more lore for them in the book, and maybe just maybe, we are seeing the hints of something to come a few years from now, ala how they teased other new factions before release!

1528734369372.jpg

13 hours ago, mattbarker said:

Whilst I appreciate a lot of the lists here are very artillery heavy, how do people feel about a mixed list of LoA and Nurgle? I'm currently toying (but have yet to field) with a mixed list that I think looks kinda fun. It appears that a lot of the strength of the faction is in the heavy metal, but I don't have any and I'm saving my pennies for the new edition release!  I'm hoping to squeeze even more out of this with the new summoning mechanic to get some fireborn on the field, but need to wait for details! Currently this list is also 20 points over 2k, but I'm expecting at least one of these things to have a points drop here or there to even it out!

Leaders:

Drazhoath the Ashen

Infernal Guard Castellan

Bull Centaur Taur'ruk

Sayl the Faithless & Nightmaw

Chaos Sorcerer Lord

Battleline:

10x ironsworn

10x ironsworn

10x plaguebearers

Behemoth:

1x Gigantic Chaos Spawn

Other:

3x plague drones

20x fireglaives

3x plague ogors

What are you thoughts?

I don't think that this is a good setup for a few reasons:

1. Gigantic Chaos Spawn doesn't synergize with the rest of the army
2. Sayl the Faithless is overcosted for what he can offer your army, and his trademark spell won't be able to teleport anything in your army
3. Chaos Sorcerer Lord would be nice to buff up your Taur'ruk
4. Plague Ogors, Plague Drones, and Plaguebearers have no synergy with the rest of your army and are lackluster compared to what else you can run. 

*If you are taking Plaguebearers, then take a maximum-sized unit for their special ability .  When combined with Cunning Deceiver and their Disgustingly Resilient, they're not going to be doing much to them in the first round.  30 Ironsworn are much cheaper, more killy, but less resilient.

On 6/10/2018 at 7:35 PM, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Went 4-1 at an east coast GT here in the US (NJ)  hosted by Mythicos Gaming (Triumph GT). I believe there were around 40 players.  It was a very well put together event and the staff were great.

Round 1 (Major Victory): Border War - Ironjawz

Round 2 (Minor Victory): Knife to the Heart - Tzeentch Changehost

Round 3 (Major Victory): Starstrike - Blades of Khorne

Round 4 (Major Loss): Three Places of Power - Stormcast Vanguard Wing

Round 5 (Major Victory): Scorched Earth - Sylvaneth Gnarlroot Wargrove

In summation: I believe that our army is in a very good place balance-wise, but we do lack many tools to deal with some combos. I think we rely on proper deployment, magma cannons, and cunning deceiver. Without those three, we can't win versus top combos like Tzeentch Changehost or Stormcast Vanguard Wing.   Against Vanguard Wing, me winning came down to Drazhoath's run roll to seize a key position, where I needed a 2+, but rolled a 1. Such is life, but had a blast, and the psychological effect of a sinister looking army is nothing to sneer at. I welcome any changes to bring us in line with other factions.

You did great! It was a awesomr army!

Guy with the Fyerslayers

26 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

This is the game I was talking about a bit ago, I would appreciate any feedback about my overall tactics.

Good game!

Hm, a few things I'd recommend:

-Rerolls.  If you're going to take something like a Dreadquake Mortar that can hit very hard, you should have some sort of reroll support.  I suggest the BSB hero.

-Mobility.  You're taking large amounts of infantry.  I'd bundle them up into massive regiments of Ironsworn, and keep the Fireglaives in units of 10 for more Naptha.  Drazhoath, Bull Centaurs, Skullcracker, or Iron Daemon can make up for this.  Ironsworn 4" + d6" + 1" run is good for a dwarf, but not as a striker.

-Target Priority.  The ghouls don't hit too hard if they're smashing into Ironsworn and their heroes are dead.  I'd kill their heroes.  Cunning Deceiver will help keep you a little bit alive if they force you to go first and you advance the line.

-Magma Cannons.  I'd take more than 1.  The Deathshriekers are nice, but not good without reroll support.  When you roll a 1 or a 2 it hurts, but if you have 2-3 more cannons rolling, you're going to kill stuff.

-Synergy.  If you're going to go all infantry, take a Standard Bearer.  The Battalion MAY be worth it if you can max out the units for 120 models.  Make the Castellan your general in this case for the +1 to wound rolls, and watch your Fireglaives do some work with the reroll 1's to wound effect as well.  You'll suffer versus high-save armies like Stormcast though.

1 hour ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Thanks bud, keep it stunty :D

If you ever want to venture onto the dark-side, you can give them a spin.  I plan on heading down to the shop there sometime in the future.  Was just fun to roll some dice and see all the armies.

I honestly fell in love with them!

What are your feelingson the new ED with them? Still have warscrolls?

3 hours ago, Deathawaits101 said:

I honestly fell in love with them!

What are your feelingson the new ED with them? Still have warscrolls?

We're unsure of exactly what we're getting in a few weeks, except that their warscrolls are getting updated.  I've been playing them since they've had warscrolls and they've been balanced appropriately so far - I just hope that it continues, haha.

8 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

I don't think that this is a good setup for a few reasons:

1. Gigantic Chaos Spawn doesn't synergize with the rest of the army
2. Sayl the Faithless is overcosted for what he can offer your army, and his trademark spell won't be able to teleport anything in your army
3. Chaos Sorcerer Lord would be nice to buff up your Taur'ruk
4. Plague Ogors, Plague Drones, and Plaguebearers have no synergy with the rest of your army and are lackluster compared to what else you can run. 

*If you are taking Plaguebearers, then take a maximum-sized unit for their special ability .  When combined with Cunning Deceiver and their Disgustingly Resilient, they're not going to be doing much to them in the first round.  30 Ironsworn are much cheaper, more killy, but less resilient.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

I should really explain my reasoning a bit as the list probably looks a bit mad!

The Chaos Lord is a new addition for me. He's primarily there to combine his spell with the Castellan's to help hurt things. Whilst a little pricey he should pay off. 

The remainder of the Nurgle "blob" is there mostly to fill out some resilience more than anything as I've suffered hard at the hands of stormcasts before tearing through things. Without a large artillery line behind me to whittle things down from afar and the fireglaives having a relatively short range, I've found it hard in the past to hold any objectives or survive through multiple combat rounds against some things. Will definitely look at taking them in a block of at least 20 though to get the cloud of flies bonus. Largely I'm weak willed and bought all these things because they looked cool! Might think about swapping out Sayl for something else, however he's done well for me in the past holding objectives early and with the new endless spells on tap I suspect just considering him as a wizard (even as an expensive one) gets me extra casts and dispells. 

The original reason for the list anyway is a distinct lack of heavy metal. Eventually my plan is for an Iron Daemon and some Magma Canons, but who has the time (or coin)! 

So I don't know if anyone else saw, but Cunning Deceiver has been completely rewritten. It now functions as some form of command point trait. In one of the previews is shows the Chaos Allegiance, and while it was fuzzy, it clearly showed that C D is no longer what it was. In addition, the GA Chaos ability is changed, it now has units picked to fight in the combat phase get to add 1 to hit rolls on a +4 if within 12" of the general or 3" of one of your heroes. 

3 hours ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

So I don't know if anyone else saw, but Cunning Deceiver has been completely rewritten. It now functions as some form of command point trait. In one of the previews is shows the Chaos Allegiance, and while it was fuzzy, it clearly showed that C D is no longer what it was. In addition, the GA Chaos ability is changed, it now has units picked to fight in the combat phase get to add 1 to hit rolls on a +4 if within 12" of the general or 3" of one of your heroes. 

Yes, I saw.  Cunning Deceiver is where you get a command point on a 5+, and Unbridled Malice is a buffed up Unpredictable Destruction.

Archived