Legion Of Azgorh Mega-Thread

Ben

Welcome to my Legion of Azgorh, Chaos Dwarf Blog.   

This is where I'm going to post all my progress with playing the Legion so as it gathers steam it should eventually progress into a mega thread of tips and tactics for crafting the best Legion list possible. 

This is the units I currently have painted.  

Unit

Drazhoath The Ashen

Shar'Tor The Executioner

Bull Centaur Taur'uk

Daemonsmith

Infernal Guard Castellan

Infernal Guard Standard Bearer

Bull Centaur Renders

Infernal Guard Fireglaives

Infernal Guard Ironsworn

Magma Cannon

Deathshrieker

Iron Daemon 

War host

I will update this as I add more units to the army.  

This is the first list I used under the Generals Handbook since the forge world points were released.  

Unit

War scrolls

Cost

#

Total

Drazhoath The Ashen

Shar'Tor The Executioner

Bull Centaur Taur'uk

Daemonsmith

Infernal Guard Castellan

Infernal Guard Standard Bearer

Bull Centaur Renders

Infernal Guard Fireglaives

Infernal Guard Ironsworn

Magma Cannon

Deathshrieker

Iron Daemon 

War host

I'll follow this up with some thoughts on my game and game plan and why I used those units.  

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I faced @Stevewren and his awesome painted Sylvaneth army on the Shattered Dominion table at Warhammer World.  

As we are both real men we decided to roll for our Alligance abilities.  I ended up with Cunning Deceiver and chose to switch to the campaign specific Khorne Brass Axe on Shar'tor seeing as its only available for a few days.  

More to follow...

Well Drazoath doesn't have a command ability for one. He has a 5+ ward save which is pretty sweet. At 380 he is a bit pricey I think more in the region of 280-320 ish would be fairer, in the same range as a Maggoth Lord perhaps.

compare Drazoath & Cinderbreath to a Chaos Sorceror Lord on Manticore

Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 17.43.34.png

Sorceror Lord on Manticore is 240pts in the GHB, thats 140pts cheaper than Drazoath. Not sure if the ward save and slightly better damage output is worth it. He gets some other tiny improvements like speed and wounds, but the unique spell is very similar. He does get two spells as well though.

We should see some faction specific Allegiance abilities and Arcane items updated in September and possibly more mini's to come yet, maybe even this weekend at AOS open day..but Drazoath can't take any of those as a named Character, or Sha'Tor, so a Taur'uk or Castellan General is looking more and more like a better deal

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on this.  

My best unit at the moment is 30 Fireglaves.

All the armies I have faced recently are running monsters and they are a fantastic counter.  30 bodies with a 4+ save are great at holding an objective and the constant stream of firepower is a real boon! 

In a large unit they take advantage of Damned terrain very well and also work will with the Infernal Guard Battle Standard to get a further bonus vs Order and Destruction.  

I'm going to test out 3x10.  While they do not have the reliability of keeping at 10 models for the double shot vs monsters I expect that they will draw attention to knock each unit below 10 models and cause my opponents to split there damage output instead of concentrating it.  

They shoot 20" including the movement and shoot twice against Monsters.  

If your opponent has a monster just deploy 20 of them opposite it.  He has to either avoid them, take them out or leave them to do what ever they will do.  If you can combine them with the Sorcerer lord Demaonic Powers then they are pretty tasty.  

The next addition to my Legion is a Skullcracker War engine.

CqjA50sWYAEc3vn.jpgCqjA6SPXYAUw2IT.jpgCqjA6N6WIAERpT_.jpgCqjA6R9XEAAr7PF-1.jpg

It comes in at 240 points, thats a few more than the Iron Deamon and i'm not sure that it is actually better.  Its damage output can be high but actually on average it looks to be pretty poor. 4+ to hit is a killer and the only Hit bonus I can get is from the Chaos Allegiance abilities. Double damage on the crushing bulk is slightly negated by no rend.

I do get re-rolls on the d3 damage if I pass my 'More Power' roll  so thats a bonus.  Questions is, would you re-roll 2 wounds? 

When comparing this to other things in the list I could get Shar'tor, a Siege Giant, 2 Death Shriekers or another 20 infantry for similar points.  

I plan to play some games with Choppy McChopface and see how he goes.  I'll start by swapping out the Iron Deamon and then try them together.  

I do get re-rolls on the d3 damage if I pass my 'More Power' roll  so thats a bonus.  Questions is, would you re-roll 2 wounds? 

Not unless I was feeling lucky, or if 3 wounds made the enemy hero die.

Cannot believe this thing doesn't have a 3+ save.

This might be one of the units to take because it will distract your opponent disproportionately compared to how effective it is.

I think that it is better than the Iron Daemon as the shooting attack on the Iron Daemon is embarrassing - a dismal imitation of a bolt thrower.

I've played a ton of games with the Iron Deamon and have found its Cannonade to be not too bad. 

This is all relative of course, but it does 2d6 shots that hit on 4+. This normally has a reroll and usually you are rerolling the number of hits too. 

Wounding on 3+ and rend -1 is nice. 

great for hitting an extra couple of wounds off a character or tipping a battleshock roll 

Looking forward to seeing how it does! It was out of stock for ages at FW, we thought they'd lost the mould or it was damaged. Pretty rare you get to see one of these, people usually went with the ID in 8th ed.

I feel like comparing it to a steam tank is a good camparison, which is 300pts ,

they both have the 'more power' rule ,

the steam tank has 3+ save

causes d3 mortal wounds on any enemy unit with 1" after a charge,

+1 to hit for its cannon against units of 10+,

regen of 1 wound per turn on a 4+ ,

has a standard cannon (30" 4+ 2+ -2 d6) and a steam gun (8" 2d6 4+ 2+* '-' 1)  *goes down with wounds, so the damage output isn't too disimilar.

I like the 'beaten into scrap' rule the most, would be a great anti artillery counter against stuff like Ironweld arsenal. Especially in 'Escalation' where you could bring it on close to their back line.

With Celestial Hurricanums and Luminarks currently missing the 'war machine' keyword, (crazy huh?!) it would be a lot better against Order if that wasn't the case.

I played a game last thursday the I didn't post about yet. We played Blood and Glory.

I used a Blackshard Warhost for the first time.  

Castallant
Army Standard
2x Daemonsmiths
6 Bull centaurs
2 Magma Cannons
Iron Deamon
2x 20 Infernal Guard
10 + 20 Fireglaves

I faced @TalesOfSigmar and his stormcast.  it was one of those games where we both get double turns when it was ended most.  Mine was early and shooting managed to clear most of the units that might threaten my scoring units.  Judicators died, Lord Celestant went down and the prosecutors were taken out in combat. 

Then the prime came down.  He cleaned the whole of my left flank on his own but the Iron Deamon finished him off with its cannons.  

On the right flank the Retributers got stuck in but the weight of numbers over there was too much and over the next 2 turns of grinding there remained 2 retributers and 3 Chaos Dwarfs on the objective.

I won the day with 3-1 objectives.  The Iron Deamon managed to clear off all 10 liberators holding the 4th only to lose it again on turn 5 to 2 characters running over there.

The Warhost was a nice addition with the Castallent, Standard and Warhost abilities having small effects.

Rerolls 1's to hit if not moved is good on the grind and comes into play surprisingly often. You get this in your opponents turn every time too.

The BSB dies early in the game but if really cool against Order.  Not so good against chaos though so its situational.  

The Castallant might be my new fave leader for the army.  I rolled the crown so he was giving Inspiring Pres to 2 units a turn until we got close then his +1 to wound command ability in combination with the fireglaves was excellent.  He has to lead from the front to get his command ability in range though and its a fine balance between making use of it and getting him killed. 

I'm on quite a win streak at the mo.  I'm struggling to remember all my games ( I really need to get back in the habit of keeping a notebook) but I don't think I have lost since day 1 at SCGT.  Not quite as impressive as it sounds as we only meet once a month but its still around 8/9 games in a row.

I'm calling it now, i'll dominate our club campaign with max scores but lose the playoff! 

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6656.jpg

IMG_6655.jpg

IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

IMG_6658.jpg

IMG_6657.jpg

IMG_6660.jpg

With the Warlords event approaching fast I thought it time to start preparing a list.

The backbone of my force will be most of a Blackshard Warhost and 2 Magma Cannons.  

• Daemonsmith - 100 pts
  • Daemonsmith - 100 pts
  • 20 Infernal Guard Ironsworn - 200 pts
  • 20 Infernal Guard Ironsworn - 200 pts
  • 20 Infernal Guard Fireglaves - 200 pts
  • 20 Infernal Guard Fireglaves - 200 pts
  • Magma Cannon - 140 pts
  • Magma Cannon - 140pts

This comes in at 1280 points.  It gives me a great firebase, good magic support, 2 medium combat units and enough bodies to secure objectives.  

The remaining 720 points can be used on a number of things. 

Option 1 

Finish off the Warhost.

• Infernal Guard Castellan - 120 pts
  • Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer - 80 pts
  • Blackshard Warhost - 80 pts
  • = 280 pts

This gets a few things. 

2nd Artefact
Re-roll Battleshock Tests for units in the Warhost (all infantry and 2 characters)
Re-roll 1's to hit for Warhost models that didn't move in movement phase (good on shooters)
Martial Contempt Command Ability. 12" range, +1 to wound for all units that target chosen enemy unit
Pall of Darkness - +1 Bravery in 15" when standard has been planted
Shadow of the Slave Lord - Re-roll 1's to wound vs Order and Destruction when standard has been planted.

In short, 20 Fireglaves on average do 5 wounds/6 wounds depending on pyrelock ammo.  With all these buffs stacked they more than double that damage.  Against an order or destruction monster they would be looking at doing on average 16-20 wounds, 1/3rd of them causing double damage.   

I still have 440 points remaining this I have been playing.

2 Deathshriekers and an Iron Deamon is 440 points....

I'm concerned that is too 1 dimensional though.  

OPTION 2

Stick with the original plan but don't include the full Warhost. 

Bring in:

• Drazhoath the Ashen 380 Pts

Remaining 340 points can fit 6 Bull Centaurs.  

This downside of this is that I have only the Deamonsmiths to use my Command Trait and Artefacts on.  

OPTION 3

• Shar'Tor the Executioner - 240 pts
  • Bull Centaur Taur'uk - 180
  • 6 Bull Centaur Renders - 320 
  • = 740

This is 20 points too many.  I can make it fit by doing a few things.  dropping 10 infantry for a Battlestandard, swapping a Magma to a Death shrieker or dropping a Demonsmith to a Battlestandard.  Or I could bring only 3 Renders and use the remaining 140 points else where.  I do have a 3rd Magma cannon painted...

I think realistically my main 2 options are;

Blackshard Warhost

• Infernal Guard Castellan - 120 pts
  • Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer - 80 pts
  • Blackshard Warhost - 80 pts
  • Daemonsmith - 100 pts
  • Daemonsmith - 100 pts
  • 20 Infernal Guard Ironsworn - 200 pts
  • Magma Cannon - 140 pts
  • Magma Cannon - 140pts
  • Deathshrieker - 120 pts 
  • Deathshrieker - 120 pts
  • Iron Deamon War Engine - 200 pts
  • =2000 pts

Shar'tor and the boyz

• Shar'Tor the Executioner - 240 pts
  • Bull Centaur Taur'uk - 180
  • Infernal Guard Battle Standard Beared = 80 pts 
  • Daemonsmith - 100 pts
  • Daemonsmith - 100 pts
  • 10 Infernal Guard Ironsworn - 100 pts
  • 6 Bull Centaur Renders - 320
  • Magma Cannon - 140 pts
  • Magma Cannon - 140pts
  • =2000 pts

I think both lists have their merits.  

The Warhost is rock solid in defence.  It can also clear an objective from 27" away with boosted range Magma fire and Deathshreikers.  

The Deathshriekers benefit from the BSB and Castallan's abilities too (magma cannons do not roll to hit or wound) and can also benefit from Dark Avenger and Lord of War command traits.  

The shooting potential is fantastic, along with 80 bodies to protect the machines.  But it could be dull to face and cause some bad games in the event of a really bad match-up (for me or my opponent)

The Shar'Tor list is more rounded and will look better on the table top but despite the 'On-Paper' stats, the bull centaurs and characters just can't deliver the goods in combat.  

I think my next step is to lay out both armies and see how they feel on the table.  

P.s  One final thought.  The Warhost list, I could drop the Deathshriekers and fit in my new Skullcracker.  It added a further 'coolness' factor to the army and makes it less of a gun line to face.  

Is there a reason you don't have/go for a Dreadquake Mortar?

The second list looks more fun and will likely look a lot better on the table with the big bull centaur models. It's more of a departure from your SCGT list.

I don't have the model and I'm not a massive fan of it in the game.

It has come down in (relative) points a fair amount since SCGT but its just too unreliable on the shooting IMO.  I'd rather have 2 deathshreikers at 240 than 1 mortar.  

I suppose you can buff it to the max with BSB, Lord of War and a few other Legion tricks but its still a dicey prospect on the Demonsmith roll and then too swingy on the to hit to wound and damage rolls. 2 deathshreikers rolling 6 dice 3/3 rend 1 is often more reliable assuming you are not shooting at 2+ armour. 

Happy to be sold on it though.  I'll be picking ups the model once my current batch of stuff is painted but currently its on the 'to buy' list behind Fireborn and converting some Greatweapon Centaurs. 

Well I haven't played any games yet with my LOA, but I have been studying them for a while and building lists. I've also never played in a tournament like Warlords, so I don't know what kind of lists people will be bringing to the table. So please do take with a pinch of salt

I like the twin Taur'uks route. I don't rate Shat'or as much as a regular Taur'uk on paper.

For their cost they (Taur'uks) seem like the 'Hobgoblin Khan' of 8th edition, super useful to run around on their own grabbing obectives or using to re-direct charges or block/control table space. And pretty effective to counter chaff. The average chaff unit just couldn't stand up to a Taur'uk. Without shield walls of K'daai Fireborn to protect against tar pits, charges and chaff, your shooty stuff would waste time targetting chaff units when it should be whittling down battleline or taking out big guys.

So for that reason I always try to start off with taking two of them in a list, and try to fit Draz in if I can. They do synergize well with BC, but often I can't fit them in for the points, and I value the 2x Taur'uks more than what is basically a chaffy anvil unit in the BC. We have awesome anvil units in the first place in the form of our battleline so no need to duplicate them if points  costs are at a premium.

List 1 seems solid and dependable and anvil-like but quite slow moving, like a slow grind, and you are right it might get boring to play. Its like me taking 100 Plague Monks along, I know they will do some nasty damage but it will be soul destroying setting them all up each game and moving them etc, and often half the time a lot of them won't even make it into battle against the smaller elite armies.

Dont the IG units play OK at 10x size instead of 20x?  Or can't you take one of 10 and one of 20 so you have more tactical flexibility? Is 20 the only way to run them? Or do they get wiped out too quick? At 10x you could take the Blackshard still , get the benefits of that and the extra arcane item, and still fit in Drazoath and/or 2 x Taur'uks?

I would be tempted to run list one, but knock the IG down to 2x 10 man units (keeping the FGlaives at 20) to save 200 points, then drop the Pain Train and save another 200 points, use those 400 points to take Draz @ 380 or maybe 2x Taur'uks @ 360. If you wanted to go further, put the Fireglaives down to 10x and save another 200, drop a deathshrieker, then you can take the 2x Taur'uks (if the hero cap isnt reached already)

List two is probably a bit more entertaining to play and more tactically versatile because you have some fast moving stuff in there. I would be tempted to drop the BC and try to find a way to get Draz and 2 x Taur'uks in maybe at the expense of Sha'tor. To make the list even more fun you could add the Skullcracker, as a way of screening off a flank or giving your slow moving troops something to advance behind if they need to move towards objectives .

Sha'tor could play as a second Taur'ruk proxy but be the general to unlock the run and charge command ability. That way you have a fast moving 're-actionary' unit in the form of 2x Taur'uks to get in peoples faces from turn 1 if need be or threaten objectives or outflank or whatever.

It'll be more fun too running around the table causing mayhem and getting in big charges and choosing match ups well.

That's just me though and my inclinations, and like I said I haven't played any games yet, so I'm kinda talking out of my %^& a bit

Archived