Do You Have a "Pet" Unit/Model?

8 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

I had a drunken rant with my BCR friend the other night. The gist of it was that I think Destruction is "too orcs and goblin." I was drunk and I'm not a destruction player so take what I say with a grain of salt but the point I kept staggering around was that I think they need to add some other races to destruction.  Giants and just... big monsters... was what I settled on. In particular I had this idea of an army of fungoid people. Basically do Destruction's version of Treants/Sylvaneth. With squigs and giant mutant mushrooms. The lore practically writes itself and for art inspiration just look at the fungoid shaman. 

Most "suggested" Destruction armies I read or hear are "take a grot and make it a sky pirate" or "no, no, we need sea orruks." I mean, maybe destruction players do just want all the flavors of orc and goblin they can have and I get that. I mean I've played Undead/Death forever and I always want more, and bigger skeletons. Morghast was a good addition but what about a bone golem that  borrows a bit from the old Bone Giant... except it's made out of even more skeletons? So I do get wanting more of the thing you like but maybe Giants as a fully drafted Battletome would be nice addition (or reboot).

My core group has this discussion regularly.  I really wish Idoneth Deepkin had been destruction.  What's the difference between Ogors raiding everyone to get the meat that sustains them and Elves raiding everyone to get the souls that sustain them?  It's definitely not orderly.

I think it's hard to fit Destruction into the over-the-top narrative of gods of chaos, order and death fighting over the mortal realms.  It just feels like destruction just kinda showed up to the fight too without having a clear raison d'etre.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Richelieu said:

I think it's hard to fit Destruction into the over-the-top narrative of gods of chaos, order and death fighting over the mortal realms.  It just feels like destruction just kinda showed up to the fight too without having a clear raison d'etre.

Yeah, and you could argue that Beastmen and Skaven properly belong more in Destruction than Chaos.  And you could almost argue it for Flesh-eater Courts too..........

12 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Most "suggested" Destruction armies I read or hear are "take a grot and make it a sky pirate" or "no, no, we need sea orruks." I mean, maybe destruction players do just want all the flavors of orc and goblin they can have and I get that. I mean I've played Undead/Death forever and I always want more, and bigger skeletons. Morghast was a good addition but what about a bone golem that  borrows a bit from the old Bone Giant... except it's made out of even more skeletons? So I do get wanting more of the thing you like but maybe Giants as a fully drafted Battletome would be nice addition (or reboot).

Grot Sky pirates, while a truly absurd and magnificent idea, are not at the top of my wish list for Destruction faction expansion.  Without consider a Legion of Nagash style book or existing battletome rewrites my preference for Destruction books would be:  Moonclan (my favorite GW thing ever...), Spiderfang (we need more giant bugs - also Forest Goblins are so cool that they deserve a resurgence), Gutbusters (Ogres need this), and then a book or two of stuff wholly different from Orcs, Goblins, and Ogres.  I would be ecstatic for a Giants faction.  A Troll faction could be pretty cool.  Or just some other monstrous faction - maybe make a race of Cyclopes, or bears, or best of all giant Hippo men!

Seriously, if GW stole a few ideas from Mierce Miniatures I would be all over them:

mrm_dkl_byz_var_mbs_652_000_01_large.png

mrm_dkl_fmr_blr_min_850_003_01_large.png

Or giant pig-men.  There are simply so many cool ideas they could do for crazy beastial factions.

2 hours ago, Mephisto said:

Let's lighten things up a bit. 

What's the one model or unit you just love despite all things? Do you have an auto-include unit/model? Maybe it's a unit that has bad rules but you just can't help but run it. Maybe it's not "obviously the best" thing but it has an interesting interaction you enjoy. Maybe you just LOVE the sculpt so you're going to run it in every list. Heck, maybe you're really proud of the paint job you did on that one grot so it's always the last one you take off. In other words, what's your pet unit?

No one is wrong in this thread. Pure subjectivity and fun reign.

By the way.  Thanks for the thread, this is the perfect thing for a rainy (here) Friday afternoon, stuck working out of town and missing the premiere local event this weekend...

1 minute ago, amysrevenge said:

By the way.  Thanks for the thread, this is the perfect thing for a rainy (here) Friday afternoon, stuck working out of town and missing the premiere local event this weekend...

I was just thinking the same thing.  It's been a rollicking thread of random Warhammer goodness.

10 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

I still like the idea of barely sentient giant mushroom treant things (think sylvaneth but goblined up) ran by some moonclan shaman that also has mushrooms growing from him.

I won't rule out that being a thing.  GW might decide to move Moonclan more into the fungoid & Squig territory if/when they get a full battletome.  

I find it interesting that Age of Sigmar is commonly referred to as being really unique and new, but honestly if you look at most of what they have done it has extremely heavy leanings on things from Warhammer's past.  They have dug up some really old stuff and then took it to 11.  If there is a theme for a lot of the Age of Sigmar releases so far to me it would be just going all-out on specific past themes.  The only thing that is fairly unique & new is Stormcast.  Most everything else so far is an older concept that they took to much more of an extreme than before.

Following that pattern I was not surprised to see the Fungoid Shaman because he represents that sort of thing for Moonclan.  I would not at all be surprised to see GW take the core themes of Night Goblins and just run with it.  That would probably lead you to explore 2 concepts very heavily - fungus & squigs.  Night Goblin lore has always heavily involved the consumption of mushrooms.  The armies were generally drunk on Fungus beer in the background for most editions of fantasy.  Fanatics are tweaked out on Madcap Mushrooms - which is the Night Goblin equivalent of PCP.  The shaman cultivate mushrooms of various types and imbibe it during battle.  And then there are the variety of murderous squigs that they prod out into battle.  Squigs seem the most obvious immediate choice for new units & models. 

The mushroom emphasis could come in a variety of ways.  They could make units of mutated mushroom monsters, more fungoid squigs, or goblins that ate a type of mushroom that causes them to mutate.  Or they could go with the fungus cultivation angle and have some heroes that gather mushrooms and then use them to buff nearby units.  Something that functions sort of like prayers but represents handing out different fungus.  It could even cause mortal wounds to grot units in addition to granting a buff to represent that they are poisonous.  I think it would be interesting to have a force whose buff mechanisms damage themselves.  It would seem thematically fitting for Night Goblins and be a decent trade-off for some strong buffs.

I like your idea, but I think that Mushrooms are still firmly in Moonclan theme right now and I don't expect for them to show up anywhere but there.

6 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I won't rule out that being a thing.  GW might decide to move Moonclan more into the fungoid & Squig territory if/when they get a full battletome.  

I find it interesting that Age of Sigmar is commonly referred to as being really unique and new, but honestly if you look at most of what they have done it has extremely heavy leanings on things from Warhammer's past.  They have dug up some really old stuff and then took it to 11.  If there is a theme for a lot of the Age of Sigmar releases so far to me it would be just going all-out on specific past themes.  The only thing that is fairly unique & new is Stormcast.  Most everything else so far is an older concept that they took to much more of an extreme than before.

Following that pattern I was not surprised to see the Fungoid Shaman because he represents that sort of thing for Moonclan.  I would not at all be surprised to see GW take the core themes of Night Goblins and just run with it.  That would probably lead you to explore 2 concepts very heavily - fungus & squigs.  Night Goblin lore has always heavily involved the consumption of mushrooms.  The armies were generally drunk on Fungus beer in the background for most editions of fantasy.  Fanatics are tweaked out on Madcap Mushrooms - which is the Night Goblin equivalent of PCP.  The shaman cultivate mushrooms of various types and imbibe it during battle.  And then there are the variety of murderous squigs that they prod out into battle.  Squigs seem the most obvious immediate choice for new units & models. 

The mushroom emphasis could come in a variety of ways.  They could make units of mutated mushroom monsters, more fungoid squigs, or goblins that ate a type of mushroom that causes them to mutate.  Or they could go with the fungus cultivation angle and have some heroes that gather mushrooms and then use them to buff nearby units.  Something that functions sort of like prayers but represents handing out different fungus.  It could even cause mortal wounds to grot units in addition to granting a buff to represent that they are poisonous.  I think it would be interesting to have a force whose buff mechanisms damage themselves.  It would seem thematically fitting for Night Goblins and be a decent trade-off for some strong buffs.

I like your idea, but I think that Mushrooms are still firmly in Moonclan theme right now and I don't expect for them to show up anywhere but there.

Thanks for the Grot history lesson.  ?

I know people have said it before, but I think Sylvaneth are another faction that naturally belong in Destruction.  Alarielle hates pretty much everything and is more than happy to destroy anything that encroaches on her turf, which just happens to be an entire realm. 

Apropos to the original topic, I was on the verge of buying a Sylvaneth army just because I love Alarielle's model so much, when DoK were announced.  Dark Eldar were my first love in 40K over 20 years ago so I will always have a soft spot for them and their fantasy/AoS counterparts. 

7 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

Thanks for the Grot history lesson.  ?

I know people have said it before, but I think Sylvaneth are another faction that naturally belong in Destruction.  Alarielle hates pretty much everything and is more than happy to destroy anything that encroaches on her turf, which just happens to be an entire realm. 

Apropos to the original topic, I was on the verge of buying a Sylvaneth army just because I love Alarielle's model so much, when DoK were announced.  Dark Eldar were my first love in 40K over 20 years ago so I will always have a soft spot for them and their fantasy/AoS counterparts. 

You are welcome.

I find it interesting that I greatly detest elves in almost every single fantasy world I have explored.  I am much more of a Dwarf kinda guy in stereotypical Tolkien/D&D fantasy.  That extends to warhammer fantasy and 40k.  I appreciate the new asian-themed aesthetic for Dark Eldar in 40k, but I still don't like them.  But oddly enough I like all of the Elf factions that GW has created a battletome for in Age of Sigmar.  I really like the demonic forest spirit/demon theme in Sylvaneth.  Witch Elves were one of the few elf models & themes I liked in Warhammer Fantasy and I like everything about their full army now.  The heavy greek aesthetics & mythology influence with Medusa, Naga, and Harpies is great.  And then there are the Idoneth with their flying sharks and massive turtles.  The only thing that stopped me from immediately picking up an Idoneth army is that a significant part of the army and synergy options revolves around Namarti and there is not a whole lot of synergy options for the Akhelians.  I still feel tempted to make a small force of them though.

@amysrevenge & @Richelieu You're both welcome and thank you. That sort of makes my day too knowing I brought a little entertainment / break from the monotony. Still didn't catch your pet model though, Richelieu. :P 

Oh, and, Alarielle the Gamqueen is indeed a sick model. Were I a mixed order or sylvaneth player, I'd be really tempted to play with her.

As for Daughters of Khaine, they really hit it out of the park on theme and everything. It almost made me forget how absolutely horrible of a person Morathi was in the World that Was. "Maybe now that she's spent countless eons being digested by an evil hedonist god, she's learned her lesson and we can all forgive her."

29 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

@amysrevenge & @Richelieu You're both welcome and thank you. That sort of makes my day too knowing I brought a little entertainment / break from the monotony. Still didn't catch your pet model though, Richelieu. :P 

Oh, and, Alarielle the Gamqueen is indeed a sick model. Were I a mixed order or sylvaneth player, I'd be really tempted to play with her.

As for Daughters of Khaine, they really hit it out of the park on theme and everything. It almost made me forget how absolutely horrible of a person Morathi was in the World that Was. "Maybe now that she's spent countless eons being digested by an evil hedonist god, she's learned her lesson and we can all forgive her."

To answer the original topic...I always find myself looking for space for a Lord Celestant on Dracoth.  He's always overshadowed by his larger, winged brethren and doesn't get the love he deserves.

4 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

I have one of the old Queek Headtaker models that I just love bringing. Such a cool pose with his sword and Dwarf Gouger spread as he leaps through the air. 

Does he synergize with my Pestilends focused army at all? No. Is his dual blade loadout (according to WYSIWYG) the optimal pick? No. 

But is Queek an amazing character that I'll always love, and whose spirit I want to live on in my army?

Yes-yes. 

Same here! Always! (my opponents now let me field him as warp bladed because... he didn't live up to his name ;) ) Same goes for the metal Deathmaster Snikch. 

In my Ogor list I always bring the pirate Maneater as my Tyrant. The whole army has a pirate vibe. So whatever happens he has to lead them! 

For Slaanesh the Lord of Slaanesh on Deamonic steed. It's such an amazing model that I basically started a small slaanesh force just to paint him. 

Great thread!

So before I stopped playing destruction, my model of choice had to be the troll hag.  I never once fielded her without an opponent becoming openly disgusted.  Several occasions I had people ask me if it was a real Warhammer model.  I mean those huge...warts and the super saggy....stomach?  How can you go wrong!

Also, and this is a verifiable fact, in the seven times I actually managed to field her, I failed to heal her six out of seven times.  This was before they made her a guaranteed heal.  It become a game where I would actually talk to her ahead of time knowing that I would fail.  I think her and the thundertusks were battling to see who would fail more often.  Also, the time I did heal her...yep...it was a 1.

As for now, I have to say the Skink Starpriest.  There's nothing overly special about it except when I finished painting it, I actually felt like I had no critiques.  I loved every aspect of it.  Since then he's always kind of been my favorite model.  Also, he once allowed a dread saurian to do like a million damage one round to a unit of protectors.  That helped too.

15 minutes ago, Uncas said:

I love the Drakespawn Knights. Super competitive? Not really. But sinister  aelves on raptors for some reason just works for me

Good call. Cold One Riders were the reason my second WHFB army was Dark Elves. They are great looking models. Them and Executioners.

3 hours ago, obaobaboss said:

My old stone trolls. My first expansion for the starter set orcs, always tried to put them in the lists.

The old stone troll models had a ton of personality and are 100% old school sculpts. There's a purity in that. Respect.

Everything in Ironjawz, but for some reason especially Megaboss on Foot and super especially Maw-Krusha. 

For Khorne Bloodbound my Mighty Skullcrushers and my Skullreapers as well as my Mighty Lord of Khorne on a Juggernaut. Those are my staples I can’t live without, looks wise and gameplay wise. 

This is a crappy phone pic of my giant - Olaf.

19FA264F-A4FF-4DF4-B485-DF65C1DBC136.jpeg.8e29910ecde71dc1e0bc6c5b723afdb1.jpeg

Funny story - this model was sold with a 40mm square base.  The only way it would fit is if you put him on it diagonally and then his feet still stuck off the corners.  So I made the base from a piece of thick card.

8 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Yeah they could have a tiny goblin in some annoying green hat with a blowdart fun that deals normal damage plus a mortal wound on a 5+ to hit and who also throws poison mushrooms that explode and deal mortal wounds and also halves enemy units movement speed if they run into them.... name him something super obnoxious like Meeto or Omeet or something. 

30 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Funny story - this model was sold with a 40mm square base.  The only way it would fit is if you put him on it diagonally and then his feet still stuck off the corners.  So I made the base from a piece of thick card.

I originally put mine on the 40mm he came with, but made the controversial (at the time) leap to switch to a 50mm as shown.

20180721_001925.jpg

Archived