Do You Have a "Pet" Unit/Model?

Let's lighten things up a bit. 

What's the one model or unit you just love despite all things? Do you have an auto-include unit/model? Maybe it's a unit that has bad rules but you just can't help but run it. Maybe it's not "obviously the best" thing but it has an interesting interaction you enjoy. Maybe you just LOVE the sculpt so you're going to run it in every list. Heck, maybe you're really proud of the paint job you did on that one grot so it's always the last one you take off. In other words, what's your pet unit?

No one is wrong in this thread. Pure subjectivity and fun reign.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one of the old Queek Headtaker models that I just love bringing. Such a cool pose with his sword and Dwarf Gouger spread as he leaps through the air. 

Does he synergize with my Pestilends focused army at all? No. Is his dual blade loadout (according to WYSIWYG) the optimal pick? No. 

But is Queek an amazing character that I'll always love, and whose spirit I want to live on in my army?

Yes-yes. 

@Lord_Skrolk that's freaking awesome. Queek Headtaker is one of those models that just holds up with the skulls on his back like a Samurai Banner. If I'm playing a game against a Pestilins player and then I look down and see Queek with that dynamic, aggressive lean. I'm not judging this person of great taste, I'm giving them props. Props, Lord Skrolk.

The Forge World Keeper of Secrets; she's arguably overcosted and it's often considered better to take two normal ones, but she was so difficult to build that I'm going to use her whether she's worth it or not. One use per leg spike, at least!

Mine would be my mawcrusha. I liked the models so much I bought it even though I dont play destruction. I converted it so I can put a slaughterpriest on it but it usually just sits on my fridge. I spent a lot of time and care painting it so it's one of my best painted models. 

Just now, Richelieu said:

The detail on the Aleguzzlers' distended bellies is one of the most beautifully disgusting sculpts around.  

I like the current plastic giant model, but most of the time I still field the old Marauder Giant model.  If I was to claim a specific model that I own that would qualify for the status of a pet model it would be him.  I painted the model in the mid 90s and he was my first major attempt at doing free hand.  I painted him up like the various cloth patches on his outfit were from the banners of various races.  I used the core rulebook and just painted portions of the banners for various races onto him - and then a big jolly-roger in the middle of his shirt. 

I have painted better models since then, but I have used him with so many editions now that I probably have more fun anecdotes involving him than any other model for any game that I own.  He has had amazing games where he was the MVP, games where he was too drunk to even stand up for most of the game, and games where he was spectactularly defeated by complete rabble in truly humiliating fashion.  He has fallen onto major enemy leaders and killed them outright - like a Slaan in 5th edition.  He has also fallen onto my own leader and crushed them - causing most of my goblin horde to run off the board.  He ends up in a lot of my lists because I usually have so much fun with him.

Aside from that I have a soft spot for anything goblin, but very much so for Squigs.  I'll field squigs on almost any chance I get just because I love the little guys.  Squig hoppers have been either questionable or outright bad in almost every edition of Fantasy and I will still bring a small contingent of them simply because they amuse me.  That said, they are better in Age of Sigmar than they have ever been previously in fantasy.

@JLee Kroxigor are one of those models that are just iconic. I get it, Seraphon are space wizard lizards but Kroxigor are just... they've got some it factor.

@michu I started playing back in the 90s. My friend played high elves, his older brother played Orcs & Goblins. I remember being absolutely enamored with (then) Night Goblin Fanatics. They were unique they "skirmished" rather than having to be rank and file. They were scary in terms of potential damage but could blow themselves up. It was the most goblin thing ever. Love 'em. Good pick.

@Enoby I had to look up the forgeworld one. That's a heck of a centerpiece and it sounds like you have a lot of pride in time you put into it. May your enemies learn to fear her leg spikes.

@NemoVonUtopia Is that your Slaughterpriest on Mawcrusha in your profile pic? Mawcrushas might be one of the coolest looking models around. They're like dragon bulldogs, it's great.

@amysrevenge Do you have a "for kicks" all giants army?

11 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I am one of the few (I assume) who has actually played a Sons of Behemat army on the table.  Before there were points haha

I really wish that they would put that formation back and give it points for matched play.  I would play it in a general destruction list in a heart beat.

5 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I really wish that they would put that formation back and give it points for matched play.  I would play it in a general destruction list in a heart beat.

I think i giants faction would be really popular (maybe that's just my wishful thinking).  Sort of an AoS corollary to 40K Imperial Knights.

5 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I think i giants faction would be really popular (maybe that's just my wishful thinking).  Sort of an AoS corollary to 40K Imperial Knights.

Day 1 pre-order.

Expanding Giants into a full faction would be just pure magnificence.  They would have to create an exception within the army for number of allowed Behemoths, but it would certainly make it a very unique faction.

A bunch of giant drunkards stomping on peasants would be right up my alley.

3 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I had a drunken rant with my BCR friend the other night. The gist of it was that I think Destruction is "too orcs and goblin." I was drunk and I'm not a destruction player so take what I say with a grain of salt but the point I kept staggering around was that I think they need to add some other races to destruction.  Giants and just... big monsters... was what I settled on. In particular I had this idea of an army of fungoid people. Basically do Destruction's version of Treants/Sylvaneth. With squigs and giant mutant mushrooms. The lore practically writes itself and for art inspiration just look at the fungoid shaman. 

Most "suggested" Destruction armies I read or hear are "take a grot and make it a sky pirate" or "no, no, we need sea orruks." I mean, maybe destruction players do just want all the flavors of orc and goblin they can have and I get that. I mean I've played Undead/Death forever and I always want more, and bigger skeletons. Morghast was a good addition but what about a bone golem that  borrows a bit from the old Bone Giant... except it's made out of even more skeletons? So I do get wanting more of the thing you like but maybe Giants as a fully drafted Battletome would be nice addition (or reboot).

The Fungoid Shaman is the natural evolution of Night Goblin fluff.  You can go back to the 5th ed army book and find fluff for the shaman consuming enough mushrooms that they eventually become one.  I expect that Squigs will always stay as primarily a Night Goblin / Moonclan theme in Fantasy.

But I agree with you that the Grand Alliance is too heavily Orcs & Goblins.  The whole alliance is basically the Orcs & Goblins & Ogre Kingdoms books split up.  It could use some variety.  I think Giants would be a really cool way to add some variety.  They could possibly expand Trolls out as well.  Or they could put something wholly new in there.  But, I think that it will always remain very heavily an Orcs & Goblins allegiance.

Simply giving Gutbusters a full book would go a long way for diversity though. 

10 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Day 1 pre-order.

Expanding Giants into a full faction would be just pure magnificence.  They would have to create an exception within the army for number of allowed Behemoths, but it would certainly make it a very unique faction.

A bunch of giant drunkards stomping on peasants would be right up my alley.

Just think about how much community love there is for BCR in spite of their serious flaws.  Both the flaws and the love would be cranked up to eleven in a giants faction.  It would be a beer and pretzels favorite for sure.  Plop down some giants and whether you win, lose or fall down drunkenly it will be spectacular. 

48 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I like the current plastic giant model, but most of the time I still field the old Marauder Giant model.  If I was to claim a specific model that I own that would qualify for the status of a pet model it would be him.  I painted the model in the mid 90s and he was my first major attempt at doing free hand.  I painted him up like the various cloth patches on his outfit were from the banners of various races.  I used the core rulebook and just painted portions of the banners for various races onto him - and then a big jolly-roger in the middle of his shirt. 

I have painted better models since then, but I have used him with so many editions now that I probably have more fun anecdotes involving him than any other model for any game that I own.  He has had amazing games where he was the MVP, games where he was too drunk to even stand up for most of the game, and games where he was spectactularly defeated by complete rabble in truly humiliating fashion.  He has fallen onto major enemy leaders and killed them outright - like a Slaan in 5th edition.  He has also fallen onto my own leader and crushed them - causing most of my goblin horde to run off the board.  He ends up in a lot of my lists because I usually have so much fun with him.

Aside from that I have a soft spot for anything goblin, but very much so for Squigs.  I'll field squigs on almost any chance I get just because I love the little guys.  Squig hoppers have been either questionable or outright bad in almost every edition of Fantasy and I will still bring a small contingent of them simply because they amuse me.  That said, they are better in Age of Sigmar than they have ever been previously in fantasy.

This^^. So much this. That's just a fantastic lineage for a pet model. All the anecdotes you've accrued playing it. It's the gift that keeps giving. 

PS: lol Squigs. 

I've recently started to put together an army entirely composed of models (stripped and repainted) from my goblins back around the 'Raverning Hordes' era.  This was intended to be a pure Moonclan list, but Snotlings, Pumpwagons  from various editions and one of the Giants of Albion regiment of renown have snuck in. How can I say no to foul mouthed Celtic giants a horde of tiny green idiots?  

Heck, those little guys have done some awesome things over the years, not least of which includes locking a 40 odd man unit of Ironbreakers in combat for the whole game while the rest of my army mobbed their artillery, and making a spirit host wither away due to numbers and being too dumb to flee.

I have resisted using my old unit of 74 models of the same Night Goblin clubber though. It look weird enough to me back in the day, and now I can afford to buy models instead of trading with randoms at the local GW.

3 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

The Fungoid Shaman is the natural evolution of Night Goblin fluff.  You can go back to the 5th ed army book and find fluff for the shaman consuming enough mushrooms that they eventually become one.  I expect that Squigs will always stay as primarily a Night Goblin / Moonclan theme in Fantasy.

But I agree with you that the Grand Alliance is too heavily Orcs & Goblins.  The whole alliance is basically the Orcs & Goblins & Ogre Kingdoms books split up.  It could use some variety.  I think Giants would be a really cool way to add some variety.  They could possibly expand Trolls out as well.  Or they could put something wholly new in there.  But, I think that it will always remain very heavily an Orcs & Goblins allegiance.

Simply giving Gutbusters a full book would go a long way for diversity though. 

I still like the idea of barely sentient giant mushroom treant things (think sylvaneth but goblined up) ran by some moonclan shaman that also has mushrooms growing from him.

But in general, yeah, I think Destruction needs a bone thrown their way. Going into this year Death had one book. Then we got LON and NH bringing us to 3. Destruction could use the love next, imo. Then Skaven. ;)

Archived