VLoZD vs. VL & Mourngul in LoS

Bradifer

For 440 points I think there's finally something to challenge the king (lord).

Vampire Lord = 140

Mourngul = 300

VLoZD = 440

Main issue is the lack of trait/artefact on your  behemoth. if you swap to Mourngul.

With so many lists going horde and MSU style, I think the VL's hero phase regen is better than ever and being able to slot in the Mourngul as an agressive tanky behemoth to replace the Zombie Dragon seems like a good fit.

You can still casts spells, hold objectives, and gravesite regen with your hero but now your behemoth can be in a seperate place.

Although you lose the big Death Ward save platform.

What are your thoughts on running a Mourngul & Vampire Lord on foot vs. the big VLoZD?

Same question with VL+ Terrorgheist :P

In fact, the 2 units vs 1 unit question has to be taken in the whole list strategy. Same points yes, but not same usage. Alone, the VL is more fragile, due to the lack of wounds. You can't use him as agressively than mounted on the ZD (or the TG).

The answer to your question of "which is better" is probably still the VLoZD. I'm not sure that your MSU vs regen point holds any water, though.

Being able to hold an objective with a 5 wound vampire lord is OK, but being able to hold it with a behemoth is better. Depending on the rest of your list maybe you want to separate those two things, but the VLoZD is a more powerful unit than those two. The Mourngul just isnt that good.

But there's a bigger question here which is "why are you putting this behemoth in your list at all" - what purpose is it fulfilling? What's your strategy? What's your battleplan-by-battleplan goal for it? What problems does it solve for your army? It's hard to answer your question without a lot more context.

And to go one level up to a question you didn't ask, I don't think that any of our best lists include a VLoZD at all at the minute, to be honest.

2 hours ago, ianob said:

SNIP

And to go one level up to a question you didn't ask, I don't think that any of our best lists include a VLoZD at all at the minute, to be honest.

But Dragon.....

It's such a big block of points in my list.  I wonder if there isn't something better I could be doing.  Different yes, but better?  There are some double Dragon death lists, either with Vhordrai or just 2 VLoZD.   For those lists, this might be a good swap.

Honestly, Not every Death player is running a "Best" list.  A list can be well above average yet still not be the "Best".    That top tier is only going to adjust in a very specific narrow way.  Looking at improving the 2nd and 3rd tier lists is fine.     

Well the Command ability on the Vampire Lord could come in handy if you are going for a one of those skeleton combos where you end up rolling dice for days.  The big downside to complicated strategies is the more opportunities for something to mess them up.  A bad roll on the VLoZD will still loose games but that’s one combat or charge roll verses having to fail one step in a chained combo.

On 7/21/2018 at 12:54 AM, Evil Bob said:

Well the Command ability on the Vampire Lord could come in handy if you are going for a one of those skeleton combos where you end up rolling dice for days.  The big downside to complicated strategies is the more opportunities for something to mess them up.  A bad roll on the VLoZD will still loose games but that’s one combat or charge roll verses having to fail one step in a chained combo.

Combine a VLoZD with his Command Ability with a 6pack of Spirit Hosts (or even 3 for that matter), mix in a bit of Van Hel's and watch the meat grinder.... The I usually get a MW Output between 8 and 15 out of 3 Spirit Hosts  if all 3 survive to the second pile in.

That said, the Mourngoul even nerfed still makes people go "oh  f*** a mourngoul", so combined with a bit support from other Nighthunts he will nicely draw fire away. I went: Nef, Mourngoul, Prince V once with a bit of skellies, wolves, spirit hosts, normal Vampire Lord and a Necro once against Sylvaneth with Allarielle and Batallion. The mourngoul and the spirit hosts were enough togheter to keep Allarielle from doing anything else than run away and heal. Prince V brought the hurt, killed Drycha in one Breath n'charge and went on cleaning up while Nef happily stood there and debuffed and threw around spells.

Archived