Setting up Stormcast units in the celestial realm

Vextol

Question

Do units in the sky born slayers battalion (they are setup in the celestial realm) count against the number of units you can setup in the celestial realm as reinforcements using the SCE battletrait or does that only apply to units that are setup directly using the stormcast battle trait? 

It reads to me like it only applies to units that are setup directly using the trait. 

3 answers to this question

The ability Scions of the Storm limits the number of units you can set up in the celestial realm, but Hurled By Sigmar's Hand has no such limitations, so for starters I read this as skyborne gets to put as many in reserve as it wants. 

As for whether this counts against your normal battletrait I think that it does, as SotS clearly limits what it can set up as how many are in the CR and how many are on the battlefield.

But here's the thing. 

The restriction wording is exactly this: "You can set up one reserve unit in the celestial realm for each unit you have set up on the battlefield." This is not "how many that can be there" - it just governs whether or not you can choose to put one there at the time.

So, order matters.

First you set up your normal units using SotS, as at the time of set up you are following the limitations. After you're done with your normal setups, you set up your Skyborne Slayers units using HBSH, and voila! You get all the things and followed exactly the rules.

45 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

The ability Scions of the Storm limits the number of units you can set up in the celestial realm, but Hurled By Sigmar's Hand has no such limitations, so for starters I read this as skyborne gets to put as many in reserve as it wants. 

As for whether this counts against your normal battletrait I think that it does, as SotS clearly limits what it can set up as how many are in the CR and how many are on the battlefield.

But here's the thing. 

The restriction wording is exactly this: "You can set up one reserve unit in the celestial realm for each unit you have set up on the battlefield." This is not "how many that can be there" - it just governs whether or not you can choose to put one there at the time.

So, order matters.

First you set up your normal units using SotS, as at the time of set up you are following the limitations. After you're done with your normal setups, you set up your Skyborne Slayers units using HBSH, and voila! You get all the things and followed exactly the rules.

Thanks.  I definitely see what your saying and would be inclined to agree.  My only question is about the terminology "setup as reinforcements".  If you're not setup as a reinforcement but are simply "chillin' with sigmar " does the restriction still apply?

I think "Celestial Realm" is just word fodder. I don't think it's actually a referable term but I could definitely be wrong. 

It's unlikely to come up in a meaningful way. I definitely think no matter what, the Battalion can be setup wholly off the board. It's right in the wording.  Although, to avoid issues, I like your plan. Just deploy well so it doesn't come up. 

Archived