What could I convert bretonnians into?

Lightbox

Hey folks!

So I do love the bretonnian models, heavy armoured knights are amazing after all! But my issue is that whilst I would love to build up my unbuilt stuff and use all my knights with current bretonnian rules I do fear I may not get too much use out of them especially when they get inevitably dropped from matched play. Though we are a casual group I'd still like to be able to use these lovely knights in other more modern armies or ways as well!

So as such I'm looking for interesting ways to use the models either as proxies or to convert into. Some ideas I've had:
-Bret models as order draconis rules
-Using spare weapons from outriders to make shooty knights.
-Using helmets and riders for the newer stormcast chamber with the sequitor bodies and possibly the pallidors for bretonnian gryph chargers.
-Making bretonnian demigryphs (Issue being demigryphs aren't good enough for me to want lots.
-Painting them into blood knights (already got some blood knights alas)

I love heavily armoured European folks so interesting ways to use them would be great. I'm thinking stormcast with bret heads may be something to look at though I much prefer my regular human knights than supersoldier lightning poster boy ones ;) Though if there are fun cavalry esque ways to play stormcast I may be interested heheh.

If folks can suggest ideas or even let me know which ones would be feasible or plain awful then I'd appreciate it.

Someone in the german Community uses the Warscrolls for Dragonlord, Dragon Noble (for the Heroes), Dragon Blades (for the Knights), and Archmage (perhaps for the for the Maid) and Free People for the Peasants.

It's really sad, that there are no other horselike units that would fit.

Order Draconis is what I was thinking, then a Dragon noble of steed with the Realm cloak artifact that gives you fly keyword (i.e. lets you use a Pegasus knight model).

Old archers im going to use as free guild guard with militia weapons as it feels like a good fit.

20 minutes ago, Alezzika said:

As long as we have warscrolls we are still legal right?

At the moment the compendium Warscrolls should still be usable with there points, but we don't know, when Legends will hit. In the end I would really look for proxy Warscrolls.

8 minutes ago, stato said:

Order Draconis is what I was thinking, then a Dragon noble of steed with the Realm cloak artifact that gives you fly keyword (i.e. lets you use a Pegasus knight model).

Sounds good.

9 minutes ago, stato said:

Old archers im going to use as free guild guard with militia weapons as it feels like a good fit.

This or Freeguild Archers.

48 minutes ago, Alezzika said:

Oh and checkout my Shadespire Brets :) shameless self plug

I have seen those models! A very nice idea :D Love your bases too!

26 minutes ago, stato said:

Yeah I think order draconis will be what I go with. And great spot on the Pegasus idea! I do like my peg lord ;)

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

Someone in the german Community uses the Warscrolls for Dragonlord, Dragon Noble (for the Heroes), Dragon Blades (for the Knights), and Archmage (perhaps for the for the Maid) and Free People for the Peasants.

It's really sad, that there are no other horselike units that would fit.

I hadn't thought of archmage for the damsel. Good idea, thanks :) And yeah freeguild is definitely a good port of call for my archer and militia models! (or at least the militia I haven't converted into zombies...) Will also be able to use the enchantress model I'm getting off my friend as a mounted archmage!

Glad to know that the draconis idea is feasible. Now I just need to start freehanding dragon symbols to make them fit with such a name ;) I'm gonna end up with welsh knights aren't I? Heheh

This does mean I now need to get an aelven dragon and stick a bret on top of it XD Bret themed order draconis actually sounds like a fun little idea, especially finding ways to add little dragon motifs and the like, either with paint or conversion.

2 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

This does mean I now need to get an aelven dragon and stick a bret on top of it XD Bret themed order draconis actually sounds like a fun little idea, especially finding ways to add little dragon motifs and the like, either with paint or conversion.

If you want to but a Knight on the Dragon, perhaps look for a Dark Aelf Dragon model (Darkling Coven, Order Serpentis). The model would look more impressive than the old one that is used for Eldritch Council or Order Draconis

Highaelf Dragon (used for a Dark Elves Army about 10 years old)

7SuY6qWgZJbEKQphk4K9bNU0eA7EGG4U9JY2HMLI

Dark Aelf Dragon (Model about 4 years old, painted this year)

729uftho9QYsF0-xD7Mj_r9-o5uHdpKTbb1CuSi1

Kind of regretting having sold my dark elf dragon now!! I'll have to see if I can find one secondhand for cheap ;)

Or look at making some other cool conversions...

Also since this is in the painting and modelling section. Do cavalry armies with mixed heraldries/colour schemes or ones with more unified looks work best?

41 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

Kind of regretting having sold my dark elf dragon now!! I'll have to see if I can find one secondhand for cheap ;)

In the end the dragon is still quite cheap with 42,-€ (compared to the new models)

6 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Flesh-eater Courts.

It looks like they would be the new Bretonnia (or at least they think), but it could be a little odd with Crypt Horrors as Knights and Crypt Flayers as Pegasi (only odd not impossible), and the archers are missing in this case.

Currently, I have 15 grail knight models and an old Morgiana Le Fay model which I'm converting into 15 blood knights and a vampire lord  (the fluff being that these are ex-grail knights and an enchantress that have become vampires). This will form the kernel of a LoB army that I'm planning to expand by, amongst other things,  painting men-at-arms in an ethereal fashion to serve as chainrasps (the fluff being that the men-at-arms are still serving their grail knight masters, but now from beyond the grave).

3 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Also since this is in the painting and modelling section. Do cavalry armies with mixed heraldries/colour schemes or ones with more unified looks work best?

This is a matter of pure preference. I think most people like unity. I personally think that their is something awesome about asymmetry. It let's you practice a couple different styles and gives your army a lot of personality. There's also a sort of fluff thinking about how this unit is this elite squad of Daemon Smashers while the other unit you paint are a band of Former Knights who lost their castle and lands to Chaos and all teamed up. Each unit has their regalia and history and little quirks. Then I usually tie it all together by having my army's center piece borrow subtle visuals from each of the units on the table as the unifying piece.

To your general question, more than a few people have commented already and I think Blood Knights have come up a couple times. I second this. Brettonians for Blood Knights are actually quite sought after. @Milford's comment above is a brilliant piece of narrative you can model in. Fallen Knights seeking redemption is a great story. I've also seen some really rad conversions from Brettonians into Graveguard. Some skeleton bits and skulls can go a long way with heavy armor. This one also tells a story of these Brettonians that died in the World that Was to be resurrected to fight once more against Chaos. 

Stormcast could also be a logical conversion if that's your thing. Similarly I could see adding some spikes and tentacles and calling them Chaos warriors.

Good luck!

Here's a somewhat tangential question (please forgive me for slightly derailing the thread, Lightbox!). Most of my bretonnian knights are assembled on their old rectangular cavalry bases. I'm torn between two ways to address this: (a) cutting each model away from its rectangular base and refitting it onto an oval 60x35, or (b) trying to create an oval 60x35 (with a cut-out centre) into which the rectangular base slots.

What have you guys done? Is (b) even a viable option?

What about a Slaves to Darkness chaos knights army.  Plenty of other cavalry units also available:  Marauder horsemen, lord on demonic mount; even a chaos sorcerer can take a mount.  Demigryphs could stand for Varanguard.  Lots of foot options for your peasantry.  Wouldn't be the first time Nobility has turned to the Dark side.  Slaves to Darkness have their own allegiance abilities, but give them marks and you can take them with one of the other Chaos allegiances.

On 7/18/2018 at 3:37 AM, Milford said:

Here's a somewhat tangential question (please forgive me for slightly derailing the thread, Lightbox!). Most of my bretonnian knights are assembled on their old rectangular cavalry bases. I'm torn between two ways to address this: (a) cutting each model away from its rectangular base and refitting it onto an oval 60x35, or (b) trying to create an oval 60x35 (with a cut-out centre) into which the rectangular base slots.

What have you guys done? Is (b) even a viable option?

I've rebased a few knights onto ovals by the first method and it works just fine, the models are plenty stable even without the tabs beneath the base. I don't think the second method would work very well, since you'd have to accommodate the height of the rectangle base due to the tabs, sadly.

It's worth the effort though, our knights fit much better on the 60mm ovals. No more bent scabbards or models scraping paint off each other when you try to rank them up!

Archived