How to expand on Soul Wars?

spypie

What do you think about the painting videos on warhammer TV?  Any of the schemes jump out at you?  

As for expanding, I'd recommend getting the soul wars stuff painted and playing a game or two with it.  Then look at the other models available and ask yourself what you want.

Also, what are your priorities when it comes to picking units?  I personally put them in this order:

1. What the units are in the background fiction.  Do I like what they are or represent in either the stories and descriptions in the battletomes or in novels or short stories that they appear in?
  2. The modelling and painting experience.  Do I like the way it looks?  Does building it look fun?  Am I excited about painting it?
  3. The connection between the background fiction and the rules.  Do the rules evoke what the unit does in the stories or in its description in the battletome?  If I play a game with it, will it feel like it should or will this be one of thsoe areas where the background says one thing but the rules don't support that?  (thankfully this is rare in AoS)
  4. The strength of the unit on the top top.  I'm not looking for a tournament army but will the unit stick around on the table top and live long enough to do its cool thing every game or two?  When it finally does the cool thing about it will it be awesome or will a sad trombone play?  Womp-womp?

A take on the last one that I don't use but many people do:

• It's place in a tournament list.  Given what other people play, the nature of the terrain and the current plan of my army, will this have a home in my army when I go to the next big event?  Do I have some sort of combination of abilities planned that this contributes to?  Does it protect my combination?  Does it take objectives?  What is it actually going to do to help me win games at an event?

Great advice above. I'm in a similar boat. I've 2 sets of soul wars and will focus on getting them up and running before deciding how to proceed. There's only one thing I'm certain off - the army I build will be focused around the Craven King. The overriding reason for progressing down this route is that he looks immense. 

Soul Wars comes with 5 Glaivewraith Stalkers, which have a unit composition of 4 models and comes with 4 Grimghast Reapers, which have a composition of 10 models. Does anyone know of the most efficient way of getting these units to the correct model count without ending up with extras?

7 minutes ago, Drujeful said:

Soul Wars comes with 5 Glaivewraith Stalkers, which have a unit composition of 4 models and comes with 4 Grimghast Reapers, which have a composition of 10 models. Does anyone know of the most efficient way of getting these units to the correct model count without ending up with extras?

Probably either getting two Soul Wars boxes (or Tempest of Souls boxes) and converting two Stalkers into reapers. Otherwise, if you got 5x Soul Wars/Tempest of Souls you would have 20 reapers and 25 stalkers, which would leave you with only one extra stalker.

You could also buy 4x Soul Wars/Tempest of Souls and buy 4 more reapers off ebay, which would leave you with 20 of each (4x5 reapers and 5x4 stalkers)

2 minutes ago, Drujeful said:

That's a lot of buying! I'll probably try to find the Nighthaunt half of Soul Wars on eBay and hope that works. Thanks!

Just picked up 4 more reaper's off ebay for a tenner. Much happier having 2 spare than 2 short. 

Archived