"Wobbly Model Syndrome" in AOS

InSaint

Question

Is there an rule equivalent of 40K Wobbly Model Syndrome in Age of Sigmar to allow my model to scale walls vertically?

Charge - Must finish the move within ½" of an enemy model. If this is impossible, the charge fails.

Measurement - Must measure from Base to Base.

If my opponent perch a huge base model on top of a tower that is say 3" high, technically I can never successfully charge it since I have got nowhere to put my models within  ½" of the enemy model base on top of the tower?

The only option is to shoot it down?

6 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, InSaint said:

Is there an rule equivalent of 40K Wobbly Model Syndrome in Age of Sigmar to allow my model to scale walls vertically?

Charge - Must finish the move within ½" of an enemy model. If this is impossible, the charge fails.

Measurement - Must measure from Base to Base.

If my opponent perch a huge base model on top of a tower that is say 3" high, technically I can never successfully charge it since I have got nowhere to put my models within  ½" of the enemy model base on top of the tower?

The only option is to shoot it down?

Depends on whether you agreed the tower is garrison-able - as it's a tower, I'd say it should be.

Other than that, then there's no way to charge it within the rules - but should be a discussion with opponent if you have block terrain that permits this scenario.

Most people measure models as a cylinder, diameter of the base to top of the head, rather than the top of the 5mm tall base.

Heelenhammer-Measuring.jpg

In your example id say you need to agree between each other. Equally if his base is overhanging the scenery he does not fit on it so shouldnt be there anyway if he wants to be a rules lawyer.

From the movement section of the AoS design commentary (the rule is different in 40K and AoS):

Q: If the height of the terrain feature exceeds a model’s movement, can it be climbed over multiple turns? Can a model run up a terrain feature? 

A: Yes to both questions. A model may need to spend several turns climbing an especially high terrain feature (you will need to remember how far it has climbed each turn, and measure distances and visibility to or from that model as if it were in that location). 

16 hours ago, Glazer said:

From the movement section of the AoS design commentary (the rule is different in 40K and AoS):

Q: If the height of the terrain feature exceeds a model’s movement, can it be climbed over multiple turns? Can a model run up a terrain feature? 

A: Yes to both questions. A model may need to spend several turns climbing an especially high terrain feature (you will need to remember how far it has climbed each turn, and measure distances and visibility to or from that model as if it were in that location). 

Interesting to assume that if a model can spend several turn climbing a high terrain because it is unable to end its movement on the high terrain (i.e Put the base on a steep slope or vertical wall), the same may apply for charging.

18 hours ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Depends on whether you agreed the tower is garrison-able - as it's a tower, I'd say it should be.

Other than that, then there's no way to charge it within the rules - but should be a discussion with opponent if you have block terrain that permits this scenario.

Yes, we should have applied the garrison rule for tower.

In another instance, my opponent 60mm model was atop a rock perch 6" high with no further base room for other models. I was right at the base of the perch and rolled a 11" for charge and technically still failed my charge. :(

Thankfully in AOS, securing objectives for VP wins game. So I just proceeded to secure the objectives. 

This is something that often comes up in my home games with the terrain. 

We play that you can always get into combat if you made the charge but on the table one unit is atop a building the other on the ground. Which makes things like piling in etc very awkward. 

I'd really like to see an official rule for this as many people have these types of terrain. I don't feel they can't do anything is fair. 

This has been addressed in the recent FAQ. 

Q: If I charge a model on a terrain feature, and there isn't a space where the charging model can stand, can it still make the charge move?

A: Yes. Models are assumed to be able to climb up any terrain feature, and can finish a move at any point when they do so.

Archived