Stormcast 2000 points - Anvils' Soulstrike Brotherhood

DanielFM

Hi, this is my take on a Soulstrike Brotherhood army. I usually run an Aquilor+Hunters+Palladors list, so for 120 points, two small units of Castigators (which are bad but a bit better with the bonus) and a Ballista I already wanted to field, I get a CP and the additional artifact.

I wanted to try Anvils with Longstrikes, I know I would get a lot more mileage from a bigger unit, but I will likely use the CA in the combat units beyond turn 1.

I think it's an interesting list, biased towards shooting but with some magic and CC punch into the mix.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (340)
- Mount Trait: Steel Pinions
Lord-Relictor (100)

Battleline
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
3 x Castigators (80)
3 x Castigators (80)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (200)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Starstrike Javelins
5 x Evocators (200)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows(180)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Battalions
Soulstrike Brotherhood (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000

2x Hunters, 2x Castigators and the Celestar Ballista on the sky, rest on the ground.

My questions for you are:

-What would be better for that list, Lord Relictor or Castellant? Relictor would have Blessed Weapons (to buff Palladors before they teleport, Longstrikes or Judicators) and could heal someone brought back by Cycle. Lord Castellant would bring the hound to help guard the backline from deepstrikes, and use his lantern on one of the redeploying units (Lord Aquilor, Palladors), on the LAoT before he goes forward or on the backline units. Both sound useful.

-Who should get the crappy artifact? Then, which one would you recommend for the other? Please, if possible, no Lens. I'm already sick of seeing it in lists ?. In fact, please don't suggest Realms artifacts (I hate that they are usually clearly better than Battletome ones).

-What spell sounds better for the LAoT? Thundershock sounds potentially powerful for close-range support. Stormcaller to put pressure on lone heroes is also cool. Celestial Blades could help my few CC units, and Speed of Lightning could be useful (but for a single turn, when my CC units drop).

Thanks for any help! I think this kind of collective thought helps us all to polish the potential of the army.

On 7/14/2018 at 4:53 PM, DanielFM said:

Nothing? I see list topics are not very popular around here ?

Castellant vs Relictor

Artifact (no Realm ones)

Spell for Lord Arcanum

Any of those would be really helpful! ;)

Castellant vs Relictor
I'd go with the Castellant, that buff is guaranteed and you really need it on your palladors. The relictor buff won't really cash out on any of your units given the low trigger chance and the low number of attacks on the units. 

Artifacts
Mirrorshield on the LAoT might give him some extra resiliance, considering that he cannot benefit from LOS! Who you give the other artifact to doesn't really matter, which one is most likely to get into combat?

Spells
Celestial blades or Lightning Speed are both good options. If you want some extra offense go for Chain Lightning, tho considering he is the only caster you should prioritize arcane bolt/prime electrids. Personally; I would go with blades.

I hope that helps!

On 7/14/2018 at 3:53 PM, DanielFM said:

Nothing? I see list topics are not very popular around here ?

Castellant vs Relictor

Artifact (no Realm ones)

Spell for Lord Arcanum

Any of those would be really helpful! ;)

You might get more luck if you post in the actual stormcast thread dude, it's what they are for.

7 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

You might get more luck if you post in the actual stormcast thread dude, it's what they are for.

I disagree, it often gets lost there and longer discussion is almost impossible especially in the stormcast thread.

Regarding the list, I am looking forward to reading, how it works for you. I know Evocators are strong but in such a list more palladors or longstrikes would look much cooler to me :).

1 hour ago, Kadanga said:

Castellant vs Relictor
I'd go with the Castellant, that buff is guaranteed and you really need it on your palladors. The relictor buff won't really cash out on any of your units given the low trigger chance and the low number of attacks on the units. 

Artifacts
Mirrorshield on the LAoT might give him some extra resiliance, considering that he cannot benefit from LOS! Who you give the other artifact to doesn't really matter, which one is most likely to get into combat?

Spells
Celestial blades or Lightning Speed are both good options. If you want some extra offense go for Chain Lightning, tho considering he is the only caster you should prioritize arcane bolt/prime electrids. Personally; I would go with blades.

I hope that helps!

Great advice, thanks Kadanga!

Castellant is it. I think he will be useful every turn and the gryph-hound could help me with cheeky deepstrikers.

I think the Soulthief will go int the Aquilor. It will be stuck in combat turn one (hopefully) and an extra mortal wound doesn't hurt. I was thinking Staff of Azyr for the LAoT because it also protects him in combat (he should be casting every turn anyway, so why not take the fluffier artifact over Gryph-feather Charm?), but the good old Mirrorshield is a great alternative if I'm going to avoid combat. Does Staff of Focus sound worth it if I went for the additional AoE spell? (Starfall, Chain Lightning, Stormcaller...)

For spells, if I go Celestial Blades he will be 2 support/2 damage spells, it sounds pretty balanced.  I liked Thundershock because a -1 to hit bubble (with extra MW) is great and would take advantage of his great mobility, but it appears a bit risky on a 4+ for each unit.

8 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Beleive me, I didn't. The list was posted for days in the thread (0 replies) before I decided to try my luck with this thread.

I'm sorry if it shouldn't be here.

5 minutes ago, Trayanee said:

I disagree, it often gets lost there and longer discussion is almost impossible especially in the stormcast thread.

Regarding the list, I am looking forward to reading, how it works for you. I know Evocators are strong but in such a list more palladors or longstrikes would look much cooler to me :).

Thanks for the support Trayanee. It did indeed got lost and ignored.

Evocators are here for the cool models and because I don't have more Palladors or Longstrikes ? both would make the list more thematic and stronger (6 Pallador bomb or 6 Longstrike hero phase+shooting phase barrage). But I gotta use what I have at hand ;)

24 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Great advice, thanks Kadanga!

Castellant is it. I think he will be useful every turn and the gryph-hound could help me with cheeky deepstrikers.

I think the Soulthief will go int the Aquilor. It will be stuck in combat turn one (hopefully) and an extra mortal wound doesn't hurt. I was thinking Staff of Azyr for the LAoT because it also protects him in combat (he should be casting every turn anyway, so why not take the fluffier artifact over Gryph-feather Charm?), but the good old Mirrorshield is a great alternative if I'm going to avoid combat. Does Staff of Focus sound worth it if I went for the additional AoE spell? (Starfall, Chain Lightning, Stormcaller...)

For spells, if I go Celestial Blades he will be 2 support/2 damage spells, it sounds pretty balanced.  I liked Thundershock because a -1 to hit bubble (with extra MW) is great and would take advantage of his great mobility, but it appears a bit risky on a 4+ for each unit.

Beleive me, I didn't. The list was posted for days in the thread (0 replies) before I decided to try my luck with this thread.

I'm sorry if it shouldn't be here.

I have played four games, and I had staff of focus in every one. It didn't live up to expectations, it looks great on paper but in practice I saw these results: 
Failed the cast
Got unbound
Got negated by prismatic lens

I think I'll go with the more defensive or guaranteed artefacts heading onwards.

On 7/16/2018 at 1:10 PM, Kadanga said:

I have played four games, and I had staff of focus in every one. It didn't live up to expectations, it looks great on paper but in practice I saw these results: 
Failed the cast
Got unbound
Got negated by prismatic lens

I think I'll go with the more defensive or guaranteed artefacts heading onwards.

Then you dont do it right. Cast everblaze comet from more than 30“ away and you cant get banned. I used it in 4 games now and it was awesome! Played batallion for low drop and started first then everblaze + staff of focus + heraldor from scions and game is pretty much over. Average 2 d3+1 mw whole enemy army. Casting value of everblaze is 5+ with staff of focus.

58 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Then you dont do it right. Cast everblaze comet from more than 30“ away and you cant get banned. I used it in 4 games now and it was awesome! Played batallion for low drop and started first then everblaze + staff of focus + heraldor from scions and game is pretty much over. Average 2 d3+1 mw whole enemy army. Casting value of everblaze is 5+ with staff of focus.

You can still fail a cast of 5+, and it can still be unbound. Not all enemies are limit to unbind 30" range, and not every spell I was trying to cast with the staff of focus was the meteor, so standing 36" wasn't always a choice.

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

Do you have any advice for my list besides fighting with Kadanga over how to use Staff of Focus properly? ?

20 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Do you have any advice for my list besides fighting with Kadanga over how to use Staff of Focus properly? ?

Its an okay list for open and narative play but not for competitive games. If you would play this list with our store community you would probably fail hard.

1.castigators are very bad.

2. The hole vanguard units are fun to play but bad too.(sequitors>Hunters)

3. Im not a fan of Arkanum on tauralon, the Gryph Version is the best.

but if you dont play competitive and your enemys dont have competitive lists then cut the castigators and add a unit judicators. 

Now where we have the updated scions of the storm allegiance the mobility of vanguard units feels wasted.

think about Sequitors vs. Hunters. You can deploy every Sce unit 9“ from enemy now. They are more resillient and do more damage.

7 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Its an okay list for open and narative play but not for competitive games. If you would play this list with our store community you would probably fail hard.

1.castigators are very bad.

2. The hole vanguard units are fun to play but bad too.

3. Im not a fan of Arkanum on tauralon, the Gryph Version is the best.

but if you dont play competitive and your enemys dont have competitive lists then cut the castigators and add a unit judicators. 

So you decided to ignore my questions and dismiss the core of my list? Cool.

1. They are not bad, they are more specialized than Judicators. Plus they are required (and buffed) for/by this battalion. It's one of the easiest yo field for me because I field two units of hunters anyway.

2. I have proved people wrong before about this. Not going for the most obvious (Cleansing Phalanx with huge Sequitor blobs or Gavriel alpha bomb) sometimes work with creativity and ingenuity.

With the new scenarios, they can do a lot of nice things through flexibility.  I play competitive but don't go to top nation-wide tournaments (we don't have them in Spain anyway), so good enough is usually good enough. I have yet to face one of those infamous netlists.

3. I like the model. I want to make it work. It has a lot of synergy with a shooty list like mine. Those are my reasons to not go with the no-brainer.

I guess you missed the point of my list (making a Soulstrike Brotherhood army with a LAoT work) and went for the "how to make this list a clone of everybody's elses".

I'm sorry if I came up too confrontational, but I asked for very specific advice to improve my list, and not to turn it into a tournament winner. You can play competitive without having the absolutely most optimal list, though. That doesn't mean "open or narrative" automatically.

Archived