Let's chat: Leader deck and what does it offer?

Kugane

With the leader deck released, I realized a lot of cards are too situational to be competitive, however, some cards seem quite good! The trusted second card especially seems to offer quite some value for Skaven. Which cards do you like?

I agree.
the most disappointing part of the expansion are the objectives. Only a couple can be considered nearly good, but only in a certain kind of decks (Like well-guarded for skellies) . On the other hand I really appreciate most of the Ploys, especially those that allow greater mobility like Quick Advance, Tyrant's Command and Seize the Day. 

I see a few cards that are pretty usable, but I very curious as to why they continue to make cards (objectives, polys, or upgrades) that are strictly worse than current cards. I mean cards that are 100% worse and not worth taking in any situation at all. I saw the fyreslayers specific objective and upgrade and thought, eh, don't know if I'd use them, but they seem "ok". But then I realized spectral wings is the exact same benefit as Grimnir Commands, but it doesnt have ANY of the stipulations GC has. Grimnir Commands requires a NON-leader fighter, you're leader to be alive, cannot gain benenfit on a charge, and its restricted to fyreslayers. Spectral wings is just +2 move for the next fighter, simple.

Another one is the Fyreslayers upgrade Pride of the Lodge. Chosen Champion is just plain better, it doesn't require 3 warband upgrades and  can be any friendly fighter. 

Showin Off and Slayer are the same objective except Slayer any warband can use and it's an Immediately score. And these 2 objectives are both in the new deck. 

Quick Maneuver seems ok, but it's just a much worse Confusion. 

Reminds me of Headlong Charge, why would anybody take it if there's access to 3 universal +1 movement upgrades? Sprinter, Great Speed, and Lendendary Swiftness...

Really makes me wonder if later down the road there will be different formats for tournaments. 

I've had the same thought about tournaments. Regarding the cards that are obviously inferior to others, their current use in a competitive sense is limited to double-dipping on a particular objective, ploy, or upgrade, either to maximize your chances of pulling that kind of card or to use/score both.

Double dipping on objectives is probably the main goal indeed. I personally find it hard to cut cards for these lesser ones though. Having too many low glory cards kind of stops you from getting enough glory to win in my experience.

The double dip is a factor, but so is the ability to add another upgrade or play another ploy that will get you something you want and also contribute to goals involving either of those things (adding upgrades or playing ploys on a model).

Not all of the "worse" cards are meant to be as good in isolation, but rather to layer on an effect, I believe.

Archived