Clan Moulder question

Rangeltoft

Hello to you all!

Played my first AoS game ever last week with my Maggotkin (due to having Nurgle Daemons in 40k) and found AoS to be alot more fun then I expected.

In Fantasy I always loved the Skaven and Clan Moulder has always been my favorite (followed by Pestilence and Skyre).

So to my question:

How do I run a Clan Moulder list in AoS 2.0? I understand that Rat Ogres and Giant Rats become battleline in a Moulder list, but what else can I include in the list , without bringing allies? Can I for instance run a Grey Seer and still count the army as Moulder?  What Command Traits and Artifacts do I use (GA: Chaos or none at all?)

/Cheers Rangeltoft

Hey there.

The units you can run in a Moulder list are:
- Packmasters
-  Rat Ogors
- Giant Rats
- Rat Swarms
- Wolf Rats
- Stormfiends
- Hell Pit Abomination
Anything else would have to be allied in, but these do not stop the army from being a Moulder army.

There was a list at CanCon earlier this year that was a pure Moulder list with other Skaven allies. It's on pg 6 of the lists.

I think you get access to GA:C artifacts and command traits if you run it as a Moulder list, don't quote me as I'm not 100% certain. The list did but I'm not sure if that's core rules or GHB2017 rules.

28 minutes ago, Rangeltoft said:

Hello to you all!

Played my first AoS game ever last week with my Maggotkin (due to having Nurgle Daemons in 40k) and found AoS to be alot more fun then I expected.

In Fantasy I always loved the Skaven and Clan Moulder has always been my favorite (followed by Pestilence and Skyre).

So to my question:

How do I run a Clan Moulder list in AoS 2.0? I understand that Rat Ogres and Giant Rats become battleline in a Moulder list, but what else can I include in the list , without bringing allies? Can I for instance run a Grey Seer and still count the army as Moulder?  What Command Traits and Artifacts do I use (GA: Chaos or none at all?)

/Cheers Rangeltoft

Stormfiends can easily be used in a Moulder army, since they have the Moulder keyword.

3 hours ago, Rangeltoft said:

Hello to you all!

So to my question:

/Cheers Rangeltoft

If you have access to them, you could put three units of 20 clanrats down to get your battleline out of the way. Since they're battleline chaos, you'd then be free to pick whatever skaven you'd feel like. Notably this improves your leader pick, since you then grab an arch-warlock or grey seer as your general, who are notably more resilient than the packmasters. The clanrats would, in that case, be more akin to slaves :) Then fill in the rest with pure moulder, and you got yourself a monstrous swarm!

Note: There's no harm in going pure moulder in entirety. This is just to present an alternative that allows you to not worry about allies :)

@Robbobobo is right about picking command traits/artifacts from grand alliance chaos as moulder allegiance. This is because moulder have no access to that by themselves at the moment.

3 hours ago, Mayple said:

If you have access to them, you could put three units of 20 clanrats down to get your battleline out of the way. Since they're battleline chaos, you'd then be free to pick whatever skaven you'd feel like. Notably this improves your leader pick, since you then grab an arch-warlock or grey seer as your general, who are notably more resilient than the packmasters. The clanrats would, in that case, be more akin to slaves :) Then fill in the rest with pure moulder, and you got yourself a monstrous swarm!

Note: There's no harm in going pure moulder in entirety. This is just to present an alternative that allows you to not worry about allies :)

@Robbobobo is right about picking command traits/artifacts from grand alliance chaos as moulder allegiance. This is because moulder have no access to that by themselves at the moment.

One of the more attractive aspects of Clan Moulder is that I don't want a horde of clanrats (now, I know 60 is not a proper horde). Also we are currently playing at 500points, due to my regular opponents are going to a escalation turnament that start on 500p and then a month (or so) later expands to 1000points.

so while Im not going to attend, I thought that I atleast could play by the same rules, so that they can have me as a trainingpartner. The rules from what I know is 1-2 Leaders,1+Battleline, 0 Behemoths, 0 Artillery, don't know if allies are allowed tho.

But thanks alot for the responses, you have all given me some food for my thoughts.

/Cheers Rangeltoft

@Rangeltoft 

Ah :) Well at that point level, you're unlikely to run into many situations where you'd want to take much from outside Moulder. At 2000 points, you run into an issue where you'd probably want a hero who's a bit more 'special' than your band of packmasters, and since allies can't be generals, getting a chaos battleline is the easy way of accomplishing that. If you end up going purely with packmasters, then all the more power to you :D

At 500 points, you would have 100 points available for allies, although you'd need 4 units per ally unit, so probably not something you'd have the luxury of. Best of luck though! Moulder is a super cool clan.

@Mayple

Considering that one of my opponents play Tzeentch and another Undead (don't really know which kind), not having a wizard feels risky.

guess I could run something like:

Packmaster

Grey Seer(allied)

2xRat Ogor

2xRat Ogor

and then either 2 more Rat Ogor(could then have Arch-Warlock instead of Grey Seer),  20xGiant Rats or 2xRatswarm..

Then I would have 4 Moulder units and one allied unit.

/Cheers Rangeltoft

@Rangeltoft

A Warlock-Engineer would probably serve you better than a Grey Seer against anything that isn't a horde. Mine tends to blow himself up in the first round, so use at own risk ;)

I think there are good arguments for any of the other additions, so grab whatever you prefer. Giant rats help you with objectives/Blocking parts of the map, Rat Ogres add more punch to your already punchy army, and rat swarms are just self-generating chunks of health who you should not expect to kill anything. 

Whatever you go for, do let us know how it goes!

Back with another question.

If I have 1 maxed out units of Giant Rats in a GA:Chaos list within range of an Packmaster and then cast Blades of Putrefaction on them from a Nurgle Sorcerer (from Maggotkin), would they inflict Mortal Wounds on a hit roll of 2+?, +3 from their own special rule and +1 from Packmaster, should make them +4 to hit.

Does this work or have I misinterpret to rules for stacking modifiers?

/Cheers Rangeltoft

15 minutes ago, Rangeltoft said:

Back with another question.

If I have 1 maxed out units of Giant Rats in a GA:Chaos list within range of an Packmaster and then cast Blades of Putrefaction on them from a Nurgle Sorcerer (from Maggotkin), would they inflict Mortal Wounds on a hit roll of 2+?, +3 from their own special rule and +1 from Packmaster, should make them +4 to hit.

Does this work or have I misinterpret to rules for stacking modifiers?

/Cheers Rangeltoft

If it's a "on a 6 or more" effect, then your interpretation is correct. Similarly, Stormfiends with shock fists can stack +1 to hit bonuses from packmasters to trigger their electrocution thingy ability on anything but a 1 :)

A nurgle sorcerer outside of allegiance: Maggotkin would not be able to pick a spell from Maggotkin however, so no blades of putrefaction for you :( Plague Priests from pestilens can be allied, However, and synergyse well with giant rats as they can give bonuses to wound. Plague Priest with censer is notable for his once-per-game ability that allows re-roll to wounds against a chosen target within 13". 

2 minutes ago, Mayple said:

If it's a "on a 6 or more" effect, then your interpretation is correct. Similarly, Stormfiends with shock fists can stack +1 to hit bonuses from packmasters to trigger their electrocution thingy ability on anything but a 1 :)

A nurgle sorcerer outside of allegiance: Maggotkin would not be able to pick a spell from Maggotkin however, so no blades of putrefaction for you :( Plague Priests from pestilens can be allied, However, and synergyse well with giant rats as they can give bonuses to wound. Plague Priest with censer is notable for his once-per-game ability that allows re-roll to wounds against a chosen target within 13". 

oh, missed the whole "in a Nurgle army" bit. That puts an end to that idéa.

Thanks for the quick respons tho :)

/Cheers Rangeltoft

You can run the giant rats as allies in a nurgle army to have access to the spells.

Sort of thematic to have hoards of rats with the rest of your plague filled army. 200 points for 40 rats is pretty good value and gives you numbers you don't generally see in Nurgle.

44 minutes ago, Davros said:

You can run the giant rats as allies in a nurgle army to have access to the spells.

Sort of thematic to have hoards of rats with the rest of your plague filled army. 200 points for 40 rats is pretty good value and gives you numbers you don't generally see in Nurgle.

Don´t think I can ally them in? Skaven is not on the Nurgle allied chart and no other keyword on the Giant Rats warscroll match any of the ones from the allied chart.

2 hours ago, Davros said:

Yea, you are correct. Started building all sorts of lists and figured this out not long ago.

So sad would of been awsome if you could get giant rats into a nurgle army.

Well you can play a skaven pestilens army with the Nurgle allegiance ability.

the only problem than is to find a Nurgle rotbringer Wizard with the Daemon keyword, to take as an Allie.

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well you can play a skaven pestilens army with the Nurgle allegiance ability.

the only problem than is to find a Nurgle rotbringer Wizard with the Daemon keyword, to take as an Allie.

Why would you want a Daemon? Clan Pestilence can ally with all Nurgle, Mortal or Daemon. Altho, in this instance you would need a Rotbringer Sorcerer and all of those are Mortal from what I remeber. And they wouldn´t be able to cast BoP anyways, due to not beign in a Nurgle Army, which was the whole idéa behind the large Giant Rats unit that I had in mind.

If you want to run Pestilence and Nurgle, I do belive it to be better to use Battletome: Maggotkin as "ground" army, due to not needing to ally in the Pesilence Elements, they having the Nurgle keyword and all.

1 minute ago, Rangeltoft said:

Why would you want a Daemon? Clan Pestilence can ally with all Nurgle, Mortal or Daemon. Altho, in this instance you would need a Rotbringer Sorcerer and all of those are Mortal from what I remeber. And they wouldn´t be able to cast BoP anyways, due to not beign in a Nurgle Army, which was the whole idéa behind the large Giant Rats unit that I had in mind.

If you want to run Pestilence and Nurgle, I do belive it to be better to use Battletome: Maggotkin as "ground" army, due to not needing to ally in the Pesilence Elements, they having the Nurgle keyword and all.

Oh your right, they chanced it?.

2 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Oh your right, they chanced it?.

My mistake, if that’s the case build yourselves a pestilence army with the Nurgle allegaince, Allie a Nurgle rotbringer sorcerer and the Rest giant rats and packmasters.

since your sorcerer has the Nurgle keyword, he can take the special spell and use it on the giant rats

8 minutes ago, Rangeltoft said:

Yes but taking a pestilence Armie with the Nurgle allegiance allows you to tak any other skaven unit as allies.

in other words since Gw chanced the allies for pestilence, now allowing you not only to take any skaven clan and Nurgle Daemons, but even any Nurgle Unit, your combo would work.

in other words great job, finding such a great armycombination???

Archived