Buying Command Points

PJetski

26 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Just because they swapped the system from Warhammer Fantasy to Age of Sigmar does not mean everything that Warhammer Fantasy did was bad.  In fact, Age of Sigmar has borrowed a number of concepts from Warhammer Fantasy and continues to do so.  The new Malign Sorcery is almost exactly the same as the Battle Magic supplement from years ago.  The only real difference is that Battle Magic was full of cardboard and Malign Sorcery has plastic models.  But in game they are almost the same thing.  Both of them contain a huge magic expansion for the game, templates/models for the spells, and greatly expand the amount of magic items available.

The basic army construction unit restrictions such as X number of leaders, Y number of behemoths, at least Z number of battleline are all basically the composition rules from the last couple of editions of Warhammer Fantasy.  The addition of Spell Lores rather than just spells written on unit profiles was taken from previous Warhammer Fantasy editions.  Relic item lists are already pretty much just the magic items from previous Warhammer editions.  Endless Spells are effectively the old "Remains in Play" spells that have existed in Fantasy for multiple editions - just with a slight tweak for who gets to move them around (most of them just used to move randomly in subsequent turns).

Fantasy was around for quite a long time.  I like Age of Sigmar, but I also very much like that it seems that the GW designers keep looking to that game and picking out some of the better ideas that it developed over time.  That game had a lot of lessons learned (and forgotten) over it's lifetime.

I am ok with the current system of relics with the exception that it sucks that you have to have a battalion in order to get extras.  I don't mind a battalion granting another relic, I just find it annoying that it is the only way to get them.  It further separates the armies that have access to battalions and the ones that don't.  If there were some generic battalions then that would solve the issue. 

But, one issue people have with the huge list of items that GW added to the game is that so many of them are massively overshadowed by better relics and many are completely redundant.  This is going to happen when every relic effectively costs the same amount.  People all seem ok with Endless Spells having point costs - why would putting point costs on relics be a bad thing?

^^This. All of it.

Where to begin. First, I actually quite enjoy that they pilfered the best stuff from WHFB. I'm technically new to AOS as of the beginning of the year but stepping into it having started out playing WHFB in the 90s and some 40k after that, it didn't feel unfamiliar to me. It's quite the accomplishment for a system that I could take like 4 years off from wargaming and step into a "new" game and just pick it up immediately. To the contrary a lot of what made WHFB my obsession as a kid and teen was still intact. GW just sort of cranked it up to eleven. Which is awesome. AOS is my obsession these days and it's like re-acquainting with an old friend and realizing they're just as cool as they used to be but grown up.

As for artefacts, I am on record on my friends' Podcast as saying "it seems they set the cost of an Artefact finally. It's 50 points. That's how it should be because...<basically your entire take on Battalions and Buying Endless Spells and how it worked just fine that way in WHFB>." I'm a little disappointed they didn't. Who knows, they still could. That's the advantage to releasing a yearly GHB and some FAQs.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived