Kitbashed/converted demonic mount of my chaos lord - Should I continue?- FINISHED! *UPDATE*

sal4m4nd3r

Hello! I wanted to kit bash/convert a demonic mount for my chaos lor don demonic mount. I love the lore about beasts of nurgle who get sad when nobody will play with them returning to the garden of nurgle to metamorphosize into the rot flies. So I took the old beast of nurgle model and combined him with a rot fly in a sort of metamorphosis gone wrong! Going to write a story how the lord teams up with the lord....

Anyway.. I wanted this thing to be over the top. Its so so WIP.. I have a butt load of greenstuff work to do.. but wondering if this concept is worth exploring more. does it pass the "sniff test" or should I keep going. I am unsure how I feel about it. Friends have said they like it but no real specifics. I suspect they were being kind and supportive. I turn to the internet for brutal honesty... at my own risk I suppose. 

dm3.jpg

dm2.jpg

dm1.jpg

I think they were being truthful, it does look cool, and I do think you should continue with it, especially because what is there to lose besides some time, greenstuff and some bits. The only problem I can find with it, and may be why you’re a bit comprehensive, is that imho it lacks direction. It is part fly and part beast, which is fine but it seems to me to be using wings and legs at the same time which is unnatural and may be why it seems a bit off. I would suggest to maybe remove the wings and bulk out the bottom a bit, as it looks a bit top heavy atm. I want to restate after my criticism that I definitely think it has potential and I think you SHOULD keep going, it’s nurgle so the more parts you add the better right?

Being a bit "all over the place" is VERY Chaos and if any thing makes it stand out as being a chaotic beast far more so. I would say keep going; the concept and what you've got look great and I think that once you start to fill in the gaps and details and get a layer of paint on it it will start to really come into its own.

Sometimes it can be hard to give specific critique on a concept model because outside of the mechanical side of things (ergo smoothing over greenstuff, getting shapes to work, proportions* etc...) its hard to comment on the concept until its made. 

*with chaos you get some leeway and most models themselves also have a lot of stuff that is out of proportion but which we accept because of scaling and the realities of having models to work with. 

Thanks guys. I will see how it goes. Here is a quick update. Began work on the lower body. I had a neat idea to "press mold" greenstuff from the fly's textured body to keep it as natural as possible.  I also removed "big stompy foot"

I dont know. I was REALLY excited about it when I was throwing everything together. I think the giant monster arms seem out of place. I might rummage through my bits box for smaller more appropriate bits to embellish his mid section with. Failing that I can always just use the standard plague drone "arms". 

dm2-1.jpg

dm2-2.jpg

Wow after some extensive google-ing I found almost EXACTLY what I have done, and wanted to achieve. I cant point to exactly what I like about this one and what I ahve done. I know the greenstuff work is much smoother and more subtle. I kind of like the lumpy/uneven/rough body.. I guess it probably is the huge "out of place" arms I added. I think it might take away from the body of the model. Hope Im not being annoying. Just trying to talk this through, my group just says it looks good and I feel Im  pestering them, my wife couldnt care less. ... and you guys cant run away even if Im shouting into the void >_<

dm-inspiration.jpg

That is a great example and I think you are right about the arms. 

The rider is an important port too though. In the example the static pose of the rider conplements the dynamic pose of the beast. So of you continue with yours yoo might want to start addig the rider (and his seat) so you can figure out how the complete model will look.

Yeah definitely the arms, they do seem a bit large, you should replace them imo, but I’m going to point again at the wings again as well, the example you found has them in a natural position when grounded. I hope I don’t sound to mean btw, I don’t want to come off as being mean, I sometimes struggle with giving kind criticism.

17 hours ago, Kronos said:

I was about to point out that conversion, theres painted pics of it too, and also featured in WD some time ago, see your conversion through mate, it looks gribbly and cool.

Well know I feel sheepish! It must have crept into my psyche. I never intended to rip somebodies work. The greenstuff work on that conversion is stellar 

So due to the great and encouraging people here, I pushed forward. I removed the beasts horns, and comically out of place monster arms, replaced them with the plague drone limbs in a stabby position instead of just ambiguous appendages like they are on the plague drone model. 

I used the lord from the manticore kit and a Nurgle shield. I replaced he mega stompy foot with  a Cell (Dragonball Z) style appendage that drains the victim of of their yummy inards! ??

The biggest improvement and the lightbulb moment was the wings repositioned in an up and downward motion position as if landing or taking off.....as opposed to the original horizontal position, as if gliding or soaring through the air. The grounded position of the monster didn’t jive with the wing position and I think that’s what seemed off for me. Once I repositioned them it was instantly better for me. (One of the tiny wings under the shield broke off. I was anxious to take pictures and upload before work, but it has been repaired so all four wings are on there.) Thanks @Ragnar Alpaca

I absolutley love this model now and can’t wait to feature him in my NOVA Open list leading a pack of chaos knights!! I will update when painted. 

Sorry for the long long winded update..I’m just very excited and proud ?

CD386678-2BBB-4584-B345-77F7BA2BAD92.jpeg

2A9A7774-CBC6-4E2B-B002-E5D3C9E2C312.jpeg

CB2E635A-A95D-4086-AE5D-4528CD87031D.jpeg

Archived