dusting off dispossessed in Dorset

Arkhanist

Hello!

I'm an old hobbyist from dorset UK. I stepped away from the hobby for a few years, but came back for the new 40k. With the new AoS 2 it seems WHFB's replacement has matured a bit, and I fancy a break from power armour! I've always been more of a painter than a gamer, mainly as it takes me ages to paint up an army!

So I thought I'd resurrect my old favourite army, now the dispossessed. I was afraid they'd be entirely squatted in AoS, but it seems they're hanging around for a while with the new handbook. I never got the last set of plastics for dwarfs, so there's definitely some new-to-me stuff to paint - plus my old metal beardies need rebasing and repainting anyway to a more cohesive scheme. I gave away most of my painted warmachines, and some like miners and slayers don't really fit in a modern army.

I did pick up Tempest's Eye cheap, so that's some irondrakes and prosecutors to get me started on updating. I'm thinking of building an Order/Tempest's eye force based heavily on dispossessed. I quite like the idea of a mixed force, with the duardin providing the missile troops and heavy infantry, with other roles filled by other races.

The trickiest bit is what scheme to paint my stormcast. I'd like to paint them as Tempest Lords as per fluff, but with all the named characters seeming to be Hammers of Sigmar, it seems I could be putting myself at a disadvantage if I expand to a full SCE force.

Thanks @AaronWIlson.  For the elites, I currently have this for inspiration:

scale75dwarf.jpg.38229fc69548f9401fd738d3b11c87f7.jpg

scale75steel.jpg.2b095b018933c41594814b00836feff5.jpg

I picked up the scale 75 steel paints anyway for ordinary metallics, so a true metallic blue steel should work nicely for gromril armour I think on ironbreakers/drakes and hammerers, though with a brighter gold trim. Not that I'm as skilled as them, of course, so I'll see how it turns out on some tests. For the old metal warriors & quarrellers & thunderers, I'll re-do with a unified blue scheme overall (probably via the shields) but with individual dark and earthy accent cloth colours to show they're not full time professional soldiers. 

A lot of my old stuff comes from the axe and shield era, so switching metal warriors to 2-handed will take some work. Since miners are only a compendium unit now, they'll be re-used as 2-handed warriors; probably mixed in with other warriors so they don't get mistaken. Shame, they were some of my favourites, but such is life! 

For my longbeards they'll probably be a mix of different models (scibor, current plastics and what metal ones I can convert) to add some variety to show they're aged veterans and are a bit... cranky when it comes to picking their own gear but with unified shields.

When I do buy some plastic ironbreakers, I'm planning on these shields - I want them to look as tough as old hobnailed boots (I have some old metal ones, but they're pretty naff - and my 20 new ones are earmarked as irondrakes which sound near essential)

542-1963-thickbox.jpg

A gyro or two and some stormcast prosecutors for some fast movers to keep the enemy occupied, and a wizard of some sort (possibly an incantor), and possibly a stormcast ballista or two should round it out initially - it will take me a while to get that lot painted, for sure!

My pedigree is similar. I started with WHFB as then Undead (later Vampire Counts when they split the army) and I got into 40K when I moved away from my hometown because it's what my LGS played. I just came back Age of Sigmar myself at the beginning of the year thanks to my friend.

With 2.0 coming out, you've picked a great time to come back. I think Dispossesed are on a bit of an upswing. Their natural resilience to magic gives them a nice baked in bonus against the meta and they have the advantage of expanded artefacts to fill in some holes. Ally in some Riggers or KO units (which are one of everyone's favorite armies to paint! a bonus for you!) to supplement and I'm sure you'll have a blast. 

Archived