Life & Death - Sylvaneth in the lands of Nagash

Hi,

After many moons of lurking around the edges of TGA I have decided to jump onto the AoS 2.0 bandwagon, having been out of Fantasy since 6th edition.

My plan is to build a Sylvaneth army based in Shyish that has fallen foul of one of the many curses that stalk the realm of death.

At the outset of the Age of Chaos, shortly after Nagash's great betrayal, the shrouded groves of the Amythyst-kin were assailed by a vast host of the dead.

Despite being greatly outnumbered, the valiant Sylvaneth defenders were able to use their affinity for the forest to break up and destroy the necromantic tide.

Only a single one of the invaders, a vile and vindictive Soulblight Vampire, managed to penetrate to the inner sanctum of the forest and find its secret heart; a soulpod in the form of a fathomless pool, Alarielle's gift and the womb of the woods.

As the creature reached it's clawed hand out over the crystal waters, the most ancient warden of the wood, a Treelord whose roots stretched back to a time when the world was young, speared the monstrosity through the back. With it's last ounce of strength, the Vampire leaned forwards, allowing a single drop of it's blood to fall into pristine pool, forever tainting the offspring of life with it's own unspeakable hunger.

So, basically, I'm taking some opposites (life and death) and jamming them together to see what comes out.

Obviously there are a lot of really great 'scary Sylvaneth' armies out there, it's a theme that I really like and plays very well into the new rules for realm affiliation. Stylistically, many of these armies take on a very gritty, blanchitsu, Witcher 3 type feel which I love. This is very much in keeping with my own style, which I have used extensively for painting 40k armies, so would perhaps be the natural way to go.

But, as they say, when others zig, it's sometimes good to zag, so I'm planning to use this project as an opportunity to try out something a bit different for me, in terms of both feel and technique. Maybe a bit more fantastical and overall a little bit closer to the vibrant style of a lot of the AoS art.

Anyway, I thought i'd pop my progress up on here, hoping it will act as a motivation to keep a decent pace up.

My eventual goal (despite being primarily into modelling and painting) will be to find some games in my local area (North London) and eventually attend an event of some kind; throwing down in the way only a blood sucking tree-spirit knows how. So I guess that means 2000 points-ish, but list honing will certainly not be any sort of priority.

But enough of this nonsense; without further ado, here are some pictures of my first test models - a hungry looking Tree-Revenant and a Kurnoth Hunter with a very big axe to grind. Maybe its more of a glaive, but where's the fun in letting reality interfere with word-play?

880187945_Tree-revenant1.jpg.6dff9769bdc770c625c30b8b1b03396e.jpg

1499473983_WIPKurnothhunter1.jpg.8d0ff406f9d6bff9134e5f5c67bceaae.jpg

Ta / VN

• 4 months later...

Archived