Realm Themed Armies

Since AoS 2.0 main book gives us a description of the Realms, we received special rules, artifacts for battles taking place in certain Realms and suggestions of making Realm Themed Armies in AoS Podcast I wonder if GW is planning on releasing some kind of "Realm Customization Boxes". Boxes with tiny bits that represent each Realm like Ghyran would have lots of branches and caterpillars while Aqshy would contain flames and any sort of fiery inhabitants. Small bits that could be attached to bases or on the shoulder, back of minis. I can also imagine normal size models that might become part of scenery. Or even models with their own rules like endless spells. 

Would you be interested in these boxes? 

Oh definitely.  It's still a work in progress but I'm making freeguild knight orders from multiple realms. For example, a force that's from the coasts of Ghur will be my Bret models which I'm using Deepkin parts for things like fish helmet crests and mount decorations. I'll use them as a dual force of either freeguilders with spears and gryphhounds in tow for royal hunts of the mountainous beasts that prowl there or as Deepkin proxies that in an alliance with the sea folk they've been blessed by their aether sea magic and use it to serve their king beneath the waves as part a pact between the land and sea kingdoms as the Deepkin need the land beasts for food and supplies the treacherous wild seas make too daunting to collect as well as the human kingdom for souls between honored duels to the death with their knights for the strongest souls and sentenced criminals for numerous weak ones while the land kingdom benefits by ancient treasures from the sea that the currents bring in and fertile sea-bottom soil deposit mixtures for better farming in the harsh arid lands.

I've been making due with Wanderer parts for life kingdoms and chaos parts for fire so realm bits would be Most welcomed. :)

I'm planning on a Kharadron and Idoneth GA army vs Beastclaw Raiders and Ironjaws army set in a wintery are of Chamon. I've already got an idea in mind for metallic themed King to go along with my KO. I forgot to add one thing. The thing I want to see most is a cool pool/scrying water fall I can paint silver. It would have a bunch of old ruins around it. 

12 minutes ago, Bellfree said:

No. I have to say, if people are having fun with the realm rules, good on-ya. Glad you're enjoying them. But I HATE the realm rules and the idea of tying an army to a set of rules I detest is stomach churning to me.

No one will force you to do this though. Its optional stuff for people to customize their armies. Even in 40k you can claim any army is whatever even ultramarines in blue being claimed as raven guard as long as you make it clear in the list. People have put so much work and time into their armies no one will tel you you can't play them. The thing they want is that you make it clear which models belong to which army (more relevant in tournament scene anyways). In my mind if people want this there is zero reason not to give it to them since it amounts to basically just telling people they can't have fun the way they want while you still can. 

3 hours ago, Bellfree said:

No. I have to say, if people are having fun with the realm rules, good on-ya. Glad you're enjoying them. But I HATE the realm rules and the idea of tying an army to a set of rules I detest is stomach churning to me.

Way to take a positive subject about the creative aspects of the hobby and use it as a platform to spout bitterness about rules you don't like. Clap clap. Good job.

Anyway, I really like this idea and GW should definitely do it! I would buy such a product. Hmmm, is the Skulls box an accessory pack for Shyish?? Also, conversion kits for the main stormhosts please!

4 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

I'm planning on a Kharadron and Idoneth GA army vs Beastclaw Raiders and Ironjaws army set in a wintery are of Chamon. I've already got an idea in mind for metallic themed King to go along with my KO. I forgot to add one thing. The thing I want to see most is a cool pool/scrying water fall I can paint silver. It would have a bunch of old ruins around it. 

That sounds really cool. Got any fluff for your alliance?  Top of my head I'm envisioning the Deepkin laying claim to enchanted quicksilver great lakes amid a snowbound landscape caused by massive iron mountains nearby that has forced ports to be made as snowstorm safehavens for traveling ships.

Love the scrying waterfall idea too, flowing water that goes down into a mysterious metal basin that never fills while surrounded by ancient cogs of a long lost city.

14 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

That sounds really cool. Got any fluff for your alliance?  Top of my head I'm envisioning the Deepkin laying claim to enchanted quicksilver great lakes amid a snowbound landscape caused by massive iron mountains nearby that has forced ports to be made as snowstorm safehavens for traveling ships.

Love the scrying waterfall idea too, flowing water that goes down into a mysterious metal basin that never fills while surrounded by ancient cogs of a long lost city.

The fluff for my army is still in progress but I imagine my Barak-Mhornar were about to be attacked when my Admiral came to the King and told them it doesn't make sense. The Deepkin were throwing away hordes of treasure in their attacks that went to waste because they weren't using it. Likewise Kharadron have no use for souls and as a fleet out of Mhornar raiding and plundering is our lifeblood. So we struck a deal to work together. It also lets us get even more targets. Things that try and fly away are driven to the ground. Things that try to go under water are driven up to be blown away. Eventually the combination was so effective the King gave his new ally an item that would shield him from the memory loss of the Deepkin making more long term alliances worthwhile.  He was so impressed with this he granted the King any one wish no matter what it is he will get it/do it for him. The King as yet has not called this in yet mostly because I haven't gotten that far and it also adds some mystery. 

Haha, that's a great idea for the perfect raider force. Plunderers of lives and loot.

I'd make they're motto "The Scales are always in our favor". (Would probably push the pun there by drawing their heraldry as a measuring scale with actually fish scales covering it. :D )

My army is already keyed to the Realm of Fire, and I would trade alot of souls for a box of fire related goodness from GW to help round out the models. As it is I'm looking at carving up some Brimstone horrors just to get some good fire sculpts going around various points on the models. For Ghyran/Ghur I think they do enough small beasts and a tonne of plant related stuff that most players are good (creeping vine, bracken, spineracks, that other weird cactus tree, spare rats in skaven, spare birds in gargant, fenrisian wolves etc). 

5 hours ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Way to take a positive subject about the creative aspects of the hobby and use it as a platform to spout bitterness about rules you don't like. Clap clap. Good job.

The OP asked for opinions and they  gave their opinion, how is your nasty little sarcasm any better a contribution?

On topic, I am putting together dragon-themed aelves who forsaking Allarielle migrated from Ghyran to Ghur. Lots of monsters, dragon-themed armour and weapons, giant animal bones and lots of plants on the bases. I love anything that encourages conversions and am looking forward to seeing more realm-theming. 

The Stormhost rules ended up beating out the realm rules for my stormcast.  I was actually really excited about going back to some painted models and carefully adding some glowing crystals to the bases and maybe some simple conversions.  The issue for me though is that I like the whole package.  I like the story of being from a realm, the modelling opportunities and how it feels on the table top.  Since the Stormhost artefact is mandatory  if you want to use the Stormhost rules, they cut off my ability to choose the Hysh stuff.  I have a competing level of excitement for the Hammers of Sigmar aspect as well as the Hysh aspect and with how the rules work, I can't pick and choose.

So I've accepted that and it's my Grand Alliance Chaos force that I'll be making realm specific.  Not sure where yet as I only have a small skirmish force painted up from before Malign Sorcery was released.  They have greys and golds and flesh tones.  With some turquoise and brown.  So they don't quite have the vibrant realm of life thing going on (or the nurgle realm of life thing going on :D ).  Aqshy would aslo probably need a revision to the colour scheme and it's never been a realm that's grabbed me.  Hysh and Ulgu don't really fit them either.  The large amount of fur and browns and flesh colours also doesn't scream Chamon.

I think it's got to be Ghur.  I started off with gors and ungors as the bulk of my skirmish force and even my slaves to darkness sorcerer has horns.  I've also got loads of beastmen parts and icons and whatnot to mix in with the marauders.  And flesh and fur and browns and golds definitely looks more animalistic than anything else.  I also have a ton of the early 2000s mutation sprues so everything larger than a marauder can be extra bestial.

Well, hopefully me working through that in a post wasn't annoying to anyone.

The Sorcer Lord Midas Maltanjer will bring the human tribes of Ghur back to their roots.  The Ruinous Powers will provide gifts to all those who seek the reunion of man and beast.  Sound a horn for the breyherds!  Call the rat men up from their gnaw holes!  Skulls for the herd stones!  Schemes to bring down rival chieftains!  Foul curses of plagues on those hiding behind walls!  And endless howling dance that drives all to stampede!

8224642507322.jpg.56baa748f7952910c19410fa59f828fa.jpg

2 hours ago, Orsino said:

The OP asked for opinions and they  gave their opinion, how is your nasty little sarcasm any better a contribution?

My comment was sarcastic but it wasn't nasty. The comment I was responding to was definitely bitter though.

The OP asked for opinions on conversion kits and got an opinion on rules. Not the same. It was transparently an ill-judged comment. 

14 hours ago, Aryann said:

Would you be interested in these boxes? 

If I was doing a shyish based army, I would go get the skulls pack they sell today.  As well as a Sigmarite Masoleum terrain kit.

So I guess I would do likewise if they came out with a bestial kit for Ghur.

Shameless self promotion:

The Free City allegiances from Season of War: Firestorm are all Aqshy and Ghyran specific and could add an extra layer of depth to an army already themed around either. I've made a thread discussion thread explaining Free City allegiances and packed with various articles, guides and resources for them in the Order forum if anyone's interested:

:) 

44 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

My comment was sarcastic but it wasn't nasty. The comment I was responding to was definitely bitter though.

The OP asked for opinions on conversion kits and got an opinion on rules. Not the same. It was transparently an ill-judged comment. 

The OP asked if people would be interested, the respondent answered politely and sincerely why they wouldn't be. You replied to their sincere opinion by calling them bitter, condescending to them and resorting to sarcasm. There's no need to talk to people in such a way.

3 hours ago, Orsino said:

The OP asked if people would be interested, the respondent answered politely and sincerely why they wouldn't be. You replied to their sincere opinion by calling them bitter, condescending to them and resorting to sarcasm. There's no need to talk to people in such a way.

9_9

My Sylvaneth army is being themed to Ulgu (Realm of shadow). Because they live in a dark world I have added alot dark themed stuff and very dark colors to better blend in.  The coolest Idea I have (have not done it yet) is converting the trees in the Sylvaneth Wyldwoods to giant mushrooms. 

Archived