Hexwraith Conversions

Nevar

So thanks to our fellow community member PainfullyMediocre I redoubled my attempts to seat Grimghasts on skeletal steeds to make some updated Hexwraiths.

Hexwraiths are one of my favorite units in the game, and after all the new ghost bois the Hexwraiths were looking painfully dated next to all the new shiney.  Plus I never liked the censers on chains and torch hats part of their aesthetic.  Thus I have continued with my attempt to Grimghast my horses and I figured I would post my results.  If PainfullyMediocre's one converted model kept me from giving up and thinking of new things than perhaps this thread can help other people converting new Hexwraiths.

20180705_171700.jpg

P.S.  Turns out my main problem was I had the barding on the horses and it made them a lot thicker and harder for the ghost bits to bend out to side on the horse.

19 minutes ago, Keltheos said:

Saw this idea on a fb page and love it. Have never liked the hex sculpt. Thinking I may hit them with a hair dryer to soften the robes a bit for placement. 

I have never used a heat gun on GW plastics, does that soften them up enough?

• 2 weeks later...

Nevar,

I finally did the batch. The hair dryer worked okay, didn't make them quite as soft as I'd liked in some areas but enough to facilitate bending without snapping the plastic. Just don't take your hand off them while hitting close with the hair dryer. I did it once and the parts flew across the table, lol. Might need to tack them down to the board while doing it. 

7 minutes ago, Keltheos said:

Nevar,

I finally did the batch. The hair dryer worked okay, didn't make them quite as soft as I'd liked in some areas but enough to facilitate bending without snapping the plastic. Just don't take your hand off them while hitting close with the hair dryer. I did it once and the parts flew across the table, lol. Might need to tack them down to the board while doing it. 

Cool!

I already did 15 of them, I used pliers to bend them starting higher up on their bodies and just bent them to the point of stress visible to the plastic then stopped and moved to a different spot to continue the bend.  Turned out awesome, if only there was a way to get the dead horses for cheap so I could make some more as cost effectively.

Archived