Idoneth Deepkin Story (The waves of darkness)

shinros

Well....it's AOS second edition, I THOUGHT I would be doing death, I stopped my other fan-fiction because you know I was doing an undead army at the time and I desired information etc. BUT, by chance a mate of mine yesterday said "hey shinros why don't you write me an idoneth deepkin story? They are pretty interesting you know!" Was never interested in the army, thought their lore from advertising was...eh and the models did not click with me. But you know I like my mates, So I bought the battletome, I fell in love and burned my wallet on some underwater Aelves and here we are. I hope people like this this story. (Also the undead story will be continuing soon!) 

Chapter 1
The hallway is silent, it's always silent under the sea but that was the way of it. That is what his people needed in order to avoid becoming mallachi, aelves who descend into mad debauchery and hedonism, whether it's a left over from imprisonment, all aelves can fall to such a state. It's because of that fear they live under the sea, where sounds are muted, a biting cold numbs your body and it's a place where Idoneth can mediate and centre themselves in peace. But he is not heading to the council hall for the sake of peace but for something else.

He reached the end of the dimly lit hallway, the corals that illuminate the enclave of Vosilar were kept low to aid in isolation, since through isolation his people can be safe. He placed his hand on the cold metal door and pushed it open. The council chamber greeted him, the room was circular and there were small open windows that allowed the sea life to swim in and out of the room. He walked to the middle of the hall.

His gaze fell upon the rest of the royal council. Tidecaster Lilarr, who ensured their forces reach the target in a swift manner and allows them to leave just as quickly. The ishraann tidecasters also manage the ethersea which allows them to live below the waves of the mortal realms. Lilaar held her staff tightly, the conch shell that tipped her staff glowed with a soft blue light. “Pimorr..” she said calmly, he detected a slight edge as she spoke his name. He frowned “I know, the choirrleum is running low.” the coral soul banks where they hold captured souls is critically low, due to many of the phalanx dying in an ambush a few months ago they don't have the souls required for the newborns.

Pimorr turned his gaze to the Ishraan soulscryer Bann-Roch, his black garments were pristine as always but his gaze was cold. He never got used to it. “Have you found a target with your cyfar compass?” “I have king Pimorr, it's the coastal city of Pavirem. The garrison is small, even with our current numbers we can easily take the city and harvest the needed bounty.” He gave a curt nod of acknowledgement. “Is there anything else?” He could see both their eyes meeting. “You have spoken with your retainer king Pimorr? “Yes I have, Gwythhar is mustering the namtri thralls with Myr-Tan. A great many wish to come with us on this raid.” Lilarr shook her head. “Becaus-” “Because we have no choice.” he said firmly. The tidecaster closed her mouth, he wanted to crease his brow in frustration but that would be a sign of weakness.

Pimorr eyed the Ishraan “We must be ruthless and wise.” He spoke the words of his late father. He made a fist “we go to save our people.”

He sat at the bay with his brother Dominic at the moment they are fishing together to catch food to sell on the market. Despite the thick and foreboding mist, they have to eat. “Hey Dominic have you caught anythin?” “Nah..fish aren't biting today Leo.” He sighed heavily, despite it being hard to breathe and the cold he sat here for hours. He thought the early morning and the fact that everyone has locked themselves in their homes would mean the sea would be overflowing with bounty. He scratched his head while he held his fishing rod. “Do you think the elders are right to be worrin?” “Doubt it...if a crow so much as caws they think the plague has fallen upon em.” He nodded in agreement Leo gripped his fishing rod with both hands again and looked out to the sea. He then felt a slight tug “Oh...Oh...Dominic! I think I got one!” He pulled, whatever bit the bait was huge, he stood upright “Dominic help me!” His brother rushed over and helped him pull, the fishing lines of Pavirem is made of stern stuff, so he knew it won't break easily. Both he and his brother pulled with all their might, but to his shock he fell back, the lure breaking as they crashed to the ground. He cursed “By the Everqueen's teeth! Dammit!” He rubbed his head and began to sit up, his eyes met the sea and he saw spiked fish fins, moving against the surface.

He furrowed his brow and stood up gesturing for his brother to rise. “Hey...get a look of this.” Leo's brother rose he slowly nodded. “That's...a lot of fish.” Then from the sea itself a large sea monster rose from the ocean, snarling and roaring. The sea beast is red and white in colouration with multiple tails, Leo found his leg's beginning to shake but what freighted him was the person on top of the beast. He wielded a greatsword and his dark armour held a strange sheen. But his cold gaze terrified him utterly. The warrior then threw something towards the ground, Leo looked down to see his lure and his bait is gone. “It was stuck in my Deepmare's mouth.” His voice was somewhat soft, but it held a killer edge. Leo shook his head. “Who...are you?” The warrior frowned “You don't need to know...and I am sorry.” The beast launched itself towards him, Leo screamed with his brother.

Pimorr sat on the beach, both humans were hovering in the air, now stuck in an eternal slumber due to the loss of their souls. His deepmare Torlor feasted on the arm of a human, gnawing on the bone. He looked to his bloodied hand,  a red mist was rising from it. The free guild defending the city had no idea what hit them, their attack was swift and deadly. Thinking on the slaughter he rubbed the blood between his fingers, he drew in the warmth to remember the lives he unfairly taken, but unfortunately that was the way of things. His people, the Idoneth require souls to survive. Newborn Namtri needed to be implanted with souls to survive past infancy and after that in order to stave off the soul withering they needed even more life essence. The nobility, the Ishraan and Akhellian are those born with normal souls. The only problem is that the nobility are one of one hundred in terms of birth rates, the rest of the population are Namtri. “You are thinking again.” The voice was firm, it held conviction. He looked up to see his retainer Gwythhar, his pale skin glistened with blood. “The collection is done my king.” “I see.” “You are not happy?” He shook his head, it's only when he is alone with him he can speak his mind. “Be ruthless...and wise. What do you think those words mean Gwythhar?” “I am not required to think my king.” Pimorr sighed, he never speaks his mind unless given permission, since all Namtri are second class citizens. “You can speak freely, it's just us.” He nodded “To be ruthless means use any means to ensure the enclave survives. To be wise? I think it's to ensure that you don't become lost in raiding. What we do is a necessary activity for survival...nothing more.” Pimorr gave a weak chuckle “I can't be like my father...” “You must.” Gwythhar responded firmly. “So many of the Akhellian died in ambush, you must be like your father.”

He clenched his bloodied hand in anger remembering that event, during a raid they were attacked by a slaaneshi warhost. Back then he was just one of the Ishlaen guard, in that ambush most of their elite including his parents died. He only became king because there was no one else, the rest of the younger Akhelians haven't completed the trials of mhair leaving him as the most veteran warrior. So he was crowned, many even call him boy-king behind his back. “I am not my father..but I won't let our people down. Tell me have the younglings memories been wiped?” “Yes...but.” “They wish to harvest their souls?” “Indeed, the Ishraan say this is necessary.” He smirked, he knew that even if he wanted their lives preserved the Ishraan would try to do it behind his back, the enclave is desperate for souls. He knew it would be better if he ordered it. “Be ruthless...” he allowed himself a weary sigh. “Let them know that everyone shall be harvested. No matter their age, our people come first.” The namtri's face was neutral as he gave the order, his retainer bowed. “I will let them know my king.” The thrall walked off to relay his order. He removed his helmet, his white hair rising slightly due to the ethersea. He looked out to the ocean. “I wonder...how can I be wise? I don't desire the death of the young but our people...come first.” He contemplated his father's words as he watched the waves crash upon the shore.

Chapter 2 

Pimorr stood and watched as the Soulrender Myr-tan released the souls from the lurelight hanging from his helmet. Each soul was drawn into the choirreleum, the coral glowed with a strange brilliance as the soul entered it. The Soulwarden Lishnar noted the levels down on a scroll and nodded approvingly as he talked with Incubati Tan-morr, he is the keeper of those with withering souls. After the souls have been calculated they will be infused into the Namtri who need it the most. “This is good...this should last for a few weeks” Myr-tan flexed his hand “yes we gathered a huge bounty the enclave will survive.” “For now.” The Ishraan looked at Tan-morr with concern. “And for now our people can survive.” Myr-tan spoke in a firm tone, The incubati raised his eyebrow. “They will survive but we must do more. Anything can happen during a raid and we need to turn weeks into years. The enclave is not stable yet. We can't suffer another huge loss.” Pimorr coughed slightly bringing everyone's attention to him.“The incubati speaks correctly. We need enough souls to last us years and it just so happens a new set of Akhelian are about to complete the mhair.” Myr-tan nodded in approval “this is good, I assume the reason why Bann-Roch is not here because he is scrying for another place to raid? “Indeed he is I will also go see the embailors, the Akhelian's with the best results from the mhair will be set up with fangmora Eels, from there if they prove themselves they might be able to ride Allopexes and direct their own novice Akhelian.” Just by their body language Pimorr can see approval from everyone present. Lishnar gave a small smile “That is a wise decision King Pimorr.” As the Soulwarden called him wise he tried hard not to frown. Essentially he is still stumbling around as the leader of the phanlax.

He turned away from them “well I have work to do.” he left the chamber and entered the hallway, the stronghold is bustling with movement due to the raid. Namtri are darting around looking to the needs of the Akhelian nobles, while many others went back to their old jobs in the city. At times he wonders why there is such a divide between their people? Is it because they are working tirelessly to ensure that the Namtri survive due to their poor souls? He turned his head to his right to see his retainer standing at attention. He smiled “I told you that you had the day off.” His face was neutral as always “My duty is my life my lord.” “Yes but don't you resent it? Your position?” “No.” he responded. Gwythhar answered without hesitation, it is known to many that the Namtri resent their status but his retainer has always been odd. Pimorr sighed “I see.” he began walking to the embailors chamber, the sea life circled his legs during the journey it's the only joy he allows himself. The sight of the sea life, there are many dangers at the bottom of the ocean but many beautiful things as well. He guessed that's the reason why there are so many open windows and holes in the stronghold to allow the smaller creatures in. “So tell me Gwythhar how is your wife?” “She is well my lord.” The conversation ended there, he smiled “Is that it?” This time his answer was hesitant. “My king...” “What is it?” “She is with child.” That piece of news was a surprise he chuckled “That's good news Gwythhar.” His retainer said nothing to his joy, but this is normal his retainer said little or nothing at all. At times he wondered if he hated him.

Yet he never had the courage to ask such a question.

He stood in front of the embailors chamber, hissing and roaring can be heard from the door. At this very moment his deepmare is also within. Torlor is most likely feasting. He raised his hand to push the door open, but his retainer stepped forward and opened it for him. He shook his head wearily, no matter how many times he tells him it's not necessary he still does it. He gave a curt nod to Gwytthar, his head movement should be detected by his blind servant. The thrall bowed as he stepped forward into the room. Unlike the rest of the stronghold, the embailors chambers were bright, coral's lined the ceiling and walls, Pimorr squinted slightly due to the light. At the same time the room had a large gate for riders to take out the sea beasts. He walked towards the head Embailor Shi-ov he was in the process of breaking a fangmora eel with his magic, as he approached he stopped and faced him. “Ah, King Pimorr. What do I owe the pleasure?” He looked at the eel hissing and crying for freedom, the sea creature was discharging electricity violently as it smashed it's body upon the cage. “I wish to put the fangmora eels into service.” said Pimorr. He kept his gaze on the creature, the new set of Akhelian's are their hope, with them they can attack larger settlements. Shi-ov shook his head “this is not normal...warriors who complete their training are assigned to crews first.” “We are not in a normal situation, remember?” The Embailor sighed slightly. “I know, tell me what do you have in mind?” He paced the room while stroking his chin. “Those who have done the best in their trials will ride fangmora eel's, from there if they prove themselves worthy they can ride Allopexes and train their own novice.” “I see...that could work. If we keep to smaller settlements and allow the Akhelian's to build experience...” It was like the Embailor read his mind. “Exactly and from there we will slowly recover back to full strength. We musn't forget the great enemy may also attack the enclave, there are many whirlways they can use and the ethersea will allow them to attack.” Shiv-ov smiled “You thought ahead...I am..” “Surprised? Don't be I am still new to this.” Shiv-ov was another person he can be honest with, majority of the embailors in this very chamber were supportive when his father died. It is something he is thankful for.

He then looked over to the Lviadon swimming around it’s a large cage, the beast was still waiting for a mar’harr a master of the reins to take control of the mighty creature but he was dead also. Torn apart by a daemon that leapt on the sea beast, Pimorr liked Nautan, he was his instructor during the asydrazor, his death wounded him as much as his parents. “I want to see our people crewing the Lviadon Shi-ov.” “I can see why, the time it took to break the beast it would be a shame to see it stuck forever in its cage.” “That might soon change old friend. Now I wish to take Torlor out.” “For what?” He turned to the door and called out “Gwytthar!” he retainer opened the door and stepped into the room, he bowed. “My lord.” “I am going out to meet our new Akhelian guard. They should be finishing up their Mhair.” He then faced the head Embailor, a smile greeted the ishraan’s lips. “A good idea, plus the surprise visit will aid in teaching them their duty to the enclave.” “That is what I hope. Now...” he walked over to Torlor’s cage he looked up to him in recognition, he looked eager to hunt and kill. Shi-ov walked over to the cage and unlocked it, the sea beast swam out. Pimorr mounted it in a smooth motion. Torlor shook his frame slightly “Open the gates!” the embailors in the room left their work and began opening the large gates via the turning ******. He was about to go but he looked down to his retainer who was now standing with Shi-ov “Gwythhar.” “Yes my lord?” “Take the day off that’s an order.” the thrall lowered his head “Yes my king” the gate was now opened he flicked the reins to send the deepmare forward.

Now out of the stronghold he looked down to the city, the great buildings surrounding the stronghold clearly marked those of noble birth. Their homes lined with gold and sliver to display status. The statues of long forgotten traditions and gods also dotted the roads but the largest statue belonged to Mathlann the god of the seas. Also great towers where the Ishraan train acolytes also surrounded the stronghold itself. While the further you go the grandeur lessens to display what he considers to be hovels. This is the area where the Namtri live, there are barely any coral lights to illuminate the roads, they were essentially living in darkness due to the fact they have no sight. He stared at it for a moment, he knew that if he diverted resources to correct it the nobility will look at him with concern. They desired that resources are used for them and the raids rather than improving the living standards of the namtri, he shook his head. “They are all my people. How did my father balance this?” He searched his memory, he recalled his father’s brutal lessons, he was not even allowed to be among the Namtri, one time he tried to play among them his father punished him harshly. A frown greeted his lips. “He did nothing…” he said bitterly. 

He looked out ahead, the mhair should be taking place on the outskirts. Every enclave do the mhair differently but in their case Akhelians are made to hunt a sea beast and bring back a trophy. According to the ancient hieroglyphs said practice was an old tradition in the world-that-was by an order of warriors, but instead they hunted beasts on land than in the sea. He recalled his own trial, he bought back the head of a red striped Allopex named blood hunter that was known to harry and kill hunters. The battle was fierce but he swelled with pride as he showed his father it’s head, the only damper on the memory is that his father was not impressed. 

None of the other Akhelian’s were either, they hunted far larger beasts, but Nautan thought he was impressive due to the fact he thought about the enclave as a whole, in killing the creature hunters can gather food more safely. Despite the deceased master of the rein’s words his father put him down. So he strived to do better, always better but it was never good enough. Now he has to lead their people, he did not desire or want to be king but it seems fate has other ideas. 

Pimorr soon approached the test site, he could see the Akhelian guard Tolriu standing, waiting for the apprentices to return. He gestured his beast downwards, despite now being next to him Tolriu still looked into the distance. “I shouldn't be doing this.” he said calmly. “And I shouldn’t be king.” he responded. He shook his head, Pimorr could understand him since he was part of his unit, another survivor of the ambush. If he died that day, Tolriu would be in his position. “The raid went well, Bann-roch is looking for another target.” said Pimorr “I know, I hear the choirreleum now bares souls others than those of our departed.” “It does...but it will only last weeks.” The Akhelian guard shook his head. “It needs to be years.” “Hence why I have a plan Tolriu.” “Plan?” “Indeed, normally the apprentices would be attached to crews of allopexes under a senior or be taught further with the master of reins on the Lviadon.” “The master of reins is dead.” “Not anymore.” said Pimorr. Tolriu creased his brow “I…” “None of us are ready. I question my decisions every moment. But for the sake of our people…” “I understand, so what is your plan?” “The best among this group will be given Fangmora eel’s from there we will attack smaller settlements to build their experience.” Tolriu nodded “this is not normal...but we don’t have much choice. It is a good plan.” “It has to be a good plan, if it’s not our people will die out.” He then saw small black specks in the distance. “It seems the apprentices have returned.” The young Akhelians swam towards them holding skins, heads or other trophies. 

They landed and stood in front of Tolriu at attention, he could see they are standing straighter than usual due to his presence. They did not expect him to be here, he eyed all of them and gestured the first forward. “You, show me your trophy.” a female Akehlian walked forward, she removed her helm displaying her face. It was scarred, she smiled and held up a head. It belonged to a fangmora eel, the breed was larger than normal. “It is of Zilithar breed.” said Pimorr “It is my lord, I hunted it to its lair near the whirlway. I wished to do house Radtan proud.” He noted that the whirlway near the enclave leads to Ghur, that area was known to have that vicious breed of eel that can easily devour an aelf whole. “You have done well, back to your position.” She nodded and placed her helmet back on while returning to her original spot. He then checked each and every single apprentice, but at the same time he wanted the reason for their hunt. With time he has spoken to them all and now he had 6 Akehlians standing before him. He looked at those 6 and nodded. “You 6 will have a rare honour, you will become Akhelian guard.” Their eyes grew wide with shock, they looked at each other. His eyes fell on the last two “You two will be crew for the new master of reins.” He gestured to Tolriu, he could see they were disappointed but the fact that they will be riding the Lviadon overwhelmed them. He stared at the Akhelian’s talking among themselves, he felt a flare of annoyance he shouted. “Enough! It’s not fun and games! We fight to save our people! We hunt and take souls to save our people! You are not children anymore! Act like warriors!” All of the Akhelian’s stopped talking, they stood at attention. 

He stared at them intently, they need to know that he is the king and overall leader of the phanlax. They need discipline he has no desire to repeat past events. Those in front of him are their hope and he won’t let that light go out.

I just want to add as we all know battletomes/codex's are in broad-strokes and since no one has really written an Idoneth story save a short one. They might change certain terms or explain them more in the future depending on what Black Library puts out. 

Chapter 3 

Gwytthar stood in front of his home, through the ethersea he always knows where something is. He could detect movement and tiny vibrations. Despite not having eyes all of his other senses are sharper, he could hear and sense the Druilfish swimming around, their light giving the Namtri district some measure of illumination. They did not need it but the Incubati and the nobility did, the coral lights are not enough for one to make passage in this area of the city. He turned the door ****** of his home and walked inside. It was small but good enough, if he had to be honest with himself he did not need much at all. His treasure is here. As he entered he heard her voice. “Gwytthar…” He walked over to his wife Mari-La, she was resting in bed, he pulled up a stool and sat. He reached over and touched her face, Mari-La is an Namtri like him but due to the pregnancy she can no longer come on raids. Her bow skills were the best among the reavers. “I am here now.” She breathed out a sigh of relief, many Namtri die on raids especially thralls since they take the brunt of charges and attacks. “Good...has there been and progress? Is he being guided in the right direction? The community wonders if there is hope..” The conversation he dreaded is coming, he shook his head. “They make us fight for them...work for them...and they don’t want to at least…” he could sense her jaw moving, she is grinding her teeth. “It’s...not that simple.” “It is simple! They could at least improve our home! The homes of all Namtri! I thought the new king would be different...” He tried hard to hide the truth of his feelings on Pimorr. He did not want to stress his wife during this precarious time. “He is different, I am sure in time he will do what he can. Give him time.” 

His wife gave a wistful sigh “I wish...I wasn’t pregnant.” “Don’t say that!” he responded quickly, he took both her hands and gripped it tightly. “Never say that….” “But look at us Gwythhar. If our child is Namtri they will know a life of hardship, this is all they will know. The nobles will collar our child to mark him or her as a second class citizen. You remember how painful the fitting and ritual is?” “There is a chance that our child might come ou-” “Normal?” She chuckled “If our child is born and they are healthy you know what will happen. They will take our child away to be raised by nobles...” Gwytthar gave a weary sigh he placed his hand on his wife’s large belly, he felt the child kicking weakly. He just told his lord today that his wife is with child, despite the fact it’s several months into the pregnancy already. “Tell me Gwytthar what do you think of Pimorr now that he is king?” He removed his hand from her belly, he found himself smiling, which is odd when majority resent their position or their master. “He is...kind. But far too kind to be king.” “That should make things easier.” “No..beloved it doesn’t. It does not make things easier at all.”

He ran the new Akhelian guards through the basic drills, Pimorr needed to see them handle the eel’s and to his surprise all six of them are doing well. Three of them are Morrsarr guard and the other three are Ishlaen guard. He took Torlor through a small tunnel and they came out above the city. “Look down.” he said. All of them looked down to the city. “You may think that we fight for sport or to bring honour to your house. But what we truly fight for is the survival of enclave.” “But your father said we can fight for those things. I remember during my asydrazor.” Pimorr looked at the Ishlaen guard, he could see the female aelf from Radtan that spoke out. “Come here.” She broke from her unit and was now side to side with him. “My father is dead.” “But he was wise my king.” “If he was wise warrior he would still be alive. Now I am king and leader of the phalanx and I should remind you to watch what you say.” She cast her head down slightly. “I..am sorry. Bu-” “My father said that you don’t need to worry for the Namtri, that you can focus on being the best warriors but...he is wrong.” He had the strength to say it out loud, he knew deep down that he felt his father was wrong now he is voicing it. “We fight for the Namtri, without us they will wither away and die. You see Lady Radtan, you were lucky.” He dug into her family history, when he formed his plan he did background checks. “Leirisha Radtan, adopted by Rach-Gab of house Radtan. Your parents were Namtri.” “I-” “But they are most likely dead, most Namtri don’t see fifty or they die to secure the future of unborn children or to stave off the withering. They are a lower caste due to necessity, that’s it. They build the houses, they make the weapons, they serve all our needs and for some reason you can’t fight for their future? Just by the roll of a die you were born a noble, you have a responsibility now. To them and to me.” Leirisha shook her head. “I am sorry, I spoke out of turn.” He did not blame her, this is not the normal way of doing things, a senior Akehlian or the master of reins normally break the novice Akehlian’s in slowly, but the enclave don’t have the luxury of time to do that.

He gestured back with his head. “Back to your unit.” Leirisha slowed down slightly and rejoined the Ishlaen guard. He guided them back to Embailors chambers, as the large gate opened they entered and looking down Pimorr spotted Bann-Roch. He flicked the reins, Torlor moved towards the Soulscryer “You found a target?” “Another human coastal city, It is called Darroot.” “Darroot? That’s an odd name.” “Even so there is a great bounty to harvest.” Pimorr tried not to sigh, Bann-Roch is eager, but to him the taking of souls is a necessity, that’s it. He can’t allow himself to revel in it like so many other enclaves. He looked at the Lviadon and then the Akhelian guards. “It seems you will be able to fight for our people soon.” The excitement was visible, he found the reaction to be displeasing but all of them are still young. He hoped that would change in time. 

He flew over Darroot on his Griffon making the rounds as usual, Thornspike gave a shrill cry. “Easy boy. We might get deployed soon.” His partner who he raised since he was a greatsword wanted blood. But even he had to admit it was too peaceful, other coastal cities were constantly attacked but maybe they are fortunate? The everqueen has blessed them with peace and he should be thankful for it. He gazed at the shifting forest beyond the city walls, what was odd about them is that they bounced side to side like they were alive. His departed mother told him that if one prayed hard enough the trees themselves would come to their aid. He has never seen that happen before but he always believed that story, that somewhere in ghyran their goddess is watching. “General!” He looked down to see his guild champion Jonathan waving at him, his iron-bark armour was shifting with the movement. He tapped the back of Thornspike “Down we go.” The griffon gave a cry and flew down towards him. As he landed a great amount of dust was kicked up. “Blimey General! Can’t you land him a little bit more softly?” “Apologies Jonathan, Thornspike is not a gentle Griffon.” His words caused him to chirp softly, his guild champion started to fume slightly. “The beast is being coy!” He then coughed and straightened his feathered hat, he is trying hard to calm himself down. “The battlemage Docreak humbly requests to see you General Lamick.” “What does the life wizard want?” “I don’t know general, but he wanted to see the leader of the shields of Alarielle urgently.” “Very well I will go and see him.” He flicked the reins, Thornspike launched into the air kicking up a greater amount of dust, as they left the ground his Griffon chirped slightly. 

Lamick looked down to see Jonathan coughing and swiping at the dust with his hat. “That’s not nice Thornspike.” His griffon did not react, at times he wondered how smart his mount truly was. Even when he was a babe he was quite mischievous. Still flying over the city is always a joy, seeing the great trees people live in, the swirling green lights illuminating the city. He guided his mount to the abode of the Docreak, he is a life wizard who tends to talk to the trees, word is he can hear their voices. He did not exactly believe it but he had to admit the old man is powerful. After a few minutes flying he approached what is essentially is the wizard’s home and the academy for the collegiate Arcane, due to Docreak founding it all study life magic. The tree the wizards lived in held multiple colours and day by day the tree shifts in seasons, even the general area matches it. He wondered if it was their magic? Or perhaps the tree itself has been blessed by the everqueen? 

Thornspike landed softly in front of great tree luckily it's spring at the moment. Still Lamick chuckled as they landed “You are a funny aren’t you?” His griffon turned his head and chirped. He looked forward to see the wizard standing there waiting for him but he spotted someone he did not recognise. Both of them approached him. The wizard held a wooden stuff with three green lights circling the stop, he also wore white and green robes. The unknown figure was clothed in a pure white robe, a hood obscured their features. “So tell me why have you called me?” Docreak stroked his beard. “You should hear it from her.” “Her?” The robed figure removed her hood to reveal a young face, she also had light blonde hair and she wore a blindfold over her eyes. “Who is she?” “A travelling priestess.” “That is quite dangerous in these times young miss. I appreciate spreading the faith of whatever god you follow but there are rampaging warbands of orruks and those who belong to the great enemy.” She shook her head “They can’t see me unless I want them to. I am Saliria priestess of the Lord of Lumination.” “What?” “She means the blind-god Lamick.” He nodded slowly, he was curious why a priestess of Tyrion would be here. “So I assume you have something important to say?” “I do, you need to evacuate the city.” “What!? Why!?” The wizard sighed. “Hence why I called you, she believes death will come from the sea. I do not belie-” “It is the truth. The illuminator shows truth to all who follow him.” “A certain truth young lady, in light sometimes there are hidden meanings.” said Docreak. “You look at the light with an academic mind, but after I have been blinded I see so much more and I see the sea rising and swallowing this city. So I have come to warn you.” Lamick shook his head “We can’t evacuate the city due to the word of one priestess.” “You must! Tell me tree-speaker what do the leaves say? Do they not scream at you?” The life wizard grumbled “They speak of mist and cold but not much else.” “See! Your free-guild must get the people to safety!”

Lamick rubbed his neck, he is disinclined to believe her but Docreak’s added comment has him slightly worried. “I will up the patrols, but I won’t evacuate the city based on visions.” Saliria frowned, she bowed “you won’t listen, very well. I will speak to people who will.” “I don’t want you scaring the citizens!” he barked. She walked passed him, but stopped and turned her head to him. “I bring the truth to save them. If it’s not the sea that kills them the green wave will.” She placed her hood on her head and continued walking, eventually she vanished. He faced Docreak “No one will believe her.” “I am not sure about that, but I do think it’s a good idea to up the patrols.” Lamick folded his arms “Death will come from the sea...I wonder what she meant.” 

Chapter 4 

The smell of sea salt was heavy in the air as they patrolled the bay. Jonathan noted this should be enough to hold off a beast that comes from the sea. At the moment he is marching up and down with his greatswords, a unit of freeguild guard and some crossbowmen who are under his command per Lamick’s orders. They had the bay locked down tight, but the patrol became harder in the last few hours, he tried not to hug himself due to the cold, the thick mist that suddenly crawled in did not help either. He looked out to the ocean, the tide was extremely low, to the point there was barely even a wave. Jonathan sneezed “Perhaps that priestess was right?” his patrol looked at him with concern, none believed her words, he did not exactly believe the priestess either, but what is going on is ominous. “Jonathan are you sure? She could be a madwoman got plenty of fervoured preaching and howling that it’s the end times.” Sergeant Graham chuckled slightly as he spoke. His freeguild guard were at attention but it’s clear none wanted to be here. But Jonathan could see Graham wanted to press his point. “Aye, she could be mad but even the wizards say what’s going on is not normal.” “Fine….but death from the sea is pretty vague, I prefer to fight a clear enemy.” “We all do Graham, by the everqueen I just want this threat to come so we can deal with it but complaining is not going to help things.” “Well no one stopped the one’s she duped into leaving, I wonder why Lamick did not stop her.” “Because he was focused on the defense you idiot. In the grand scheme of things a few people leaving is not much of an issue compared to the whole city. Now shut your gob.” The sergeant sighed, Jonathan placed his eyes on the ocean and in the distance he saw fins trailing against the surface of the water. They were coming closer and closer to the shore. He thought to look for a moment more, but he got a gut feeling that is the enemy they were warned about. He pointed at a soldier “Go warn Lamick!” “What!?” “Just go dammit!” The soldier ran back to the city. “Freeguild guard to the front! Iron-bark shields up!” In a smooth motion the guard made a wall of wooden steel. The dark grey shields locking together with spears at the ready. “Crossbowmen take aim!” They all pointed their weapons to the sea. “Greatswords be ready to flank!” “Aye!” they called, all of them gripped their weapons tightly. 

In reaction the fins moved faster, it’s clear that they are reacting to what they are doing. The tide of the ocean began to increase, waves crashed upon the shore. But as the waves grew more violent he found his breathing was steadily becoming harder, if he made a rapid movement he could spot bubbles around his arms. “By the everqueen what is this?” Then from the sea pale figures with curved blades and axes emerged from the water, they charged the shield line. “Hold them!” Jonathan yelled. “We are the first line boys! The everqueen is watching! Crossbowmen, loose!” They let loose a volley, bolts flew through the air and crashed into the pale attackers a wave of them fell to the ground. Blood pooled on the beach, a red mist rose from the blood pooling on the beach. It was like they were in water. Another group emerged from the ocean but this time they were greater in number, but what shocked him even more is a great sea beast rose with them. He has only seen it in books he wondered how such sea life can be hovering in the air? It get a shrill roar. Jonathan squinted his eyes at the rider, just by their face he could tell it’s an aelf. “Why are aelves attacking us?” he whispered to himself. The next wave charged the shield line, he looked slightly back to the crossbowmen, they were still reloading. “Right it’s our turn!” The pale attackers smacked into the shield line, the freeguild guard pushed them back, but the axe wielders weapons bit into the shields tearing it apart. Then in a swift motion they would remove the head of the guardsmen, their movements were fluid and without error, it chilled him slightly just seeing how the pale invaders kill.  

Jonathan ground his teeth “Greatswords!” he bellowed They moved forward and attacked the rear. Jonathan rushed to the side of the freeguild guard, trying to flank the invaders. As he got around he stabbed one of the pale attackers and twisted. They gagged as his blade entered their body, he then kicked them off. “You dare!” a voice called he looked up to the mounted aelf. He pointed his greatsword at him. “Quiet the aelf crossbowmen! He looks to be the leader!” In reaction to his order the mounted warrior swooped down with a curved greatsword, he also drew a blade from his back as he crashed into the freeguild guard. His blade movements were a blur as he cut his men apart. The aelf called out “Akhelian guard! The crossbowmen!” from the ocean aelves riding serpentine mounts shot from the sea and moved to attack the back of their line. They darted around the crossbowmen, slashing and stabbing, the unlucky ones were devoured by their mounts. Jonathan cursed as he slashed another invader, as they fell to the ground he got a better look at them. Their ears are similar to an aelf but they looked malformed and wore a strange iron collar. They had no eyes either. “Who are they?” He then heard a scream he bought his eyes to the shield line to see Graham in the maw of the great sea beast. He was about to run towards him but he was held in his tracks, he felt a sharp and cold sensation on the side of his body.  

He looked down to see a blade shaped like a hook is lodged into his side. His eyes moved to the attacker to see an aelf with a strange light dangling from their helm. A intense cold washed over his whole body, he could not feel his fingers anymore, a long rasp left his throat and then he felt nothing. 

Pimorr slashed another human, he cut and severed with the Namtri. But he felt frustrated he looked over to Myr-Tan as the last human died. “They were prepared for us. How?” The Soulrender removed his talunhook from the human and began absorbing the souls of the dead into his lurelight. As he did his work, Myr-Tan’s Rakerdart swam around his body. “I don’t know...it looked like someone warned them.” “But who?” Lilaar emerged from the ocean with the Namtri reavers, she was frowning. “It doesn’t matter. We are far more skilled compared to humans, no matter how they have prepared they will fall to us all the same.” “Agreed.” The Soulscryer rose from the sea with the Lviadon the beast gave a great cry. Bann-Roch looked down to his cyfar compass. “There is a great amount of souls in this city. We can’t allow a group of humans to stop us.” “This would of been over quicker if I intervened.” said Tolriu. Pimorr sheathed his falchion on his back. “We couldn’t risk the Lviadon, not yet. Imagine if a volley from the crossbows hit you?” The new master of reins looked down at him, he said nothing further he could explain his point but his silence told him he agreed with him. 

He looked at the city, the great trees the citizens live in. He felt slightly apprehensive, before in the past he just thought about proving himself in battle, he used to be like the novice Akhelians. Now being the leader of the phalanx, it was different. He now knows what he must do to the innocent and at the same time shouldering the weight of his people, some part of him just wants to run away. “We must take their souls, we can’t allow humans to stop us. We need their essence...” The Akhelian guard returned, some of the Fangmora eel’s were chewing on arms or legs. He tapped Torlor’s neck. “Drop the human.” The deepmare released the human from it’s jaws. He flicked his mount to the phalanx, his eyes swept over them. “Now as we move into the city we must be ready!” he announced.“The freeguild have prepared for us! We lost the opportunity of surprise! But that will not stop us! We will take their life essence! We will harvest their souls for our people!” All of the Namtri raised their weapons to his words, just by the eyes of the noble caste he could see his voice has reached them, they gave silent nods of approval. He turned towards the city. “Let us go!” The phalanx charged into the city, all of them were eager to collect souls, but the apprehension he felt before still lingered.  

Lamick yelled for his freeguild to form up in the plaza, soon as the mist rolled in he had Docreak setup green luminescent lights and glowflies across the plaza, he had no desire to be ambushed. At most the mist now hovers around the edges of the blockades.“General! General!” from the mist a guardman emerged. Docreak strode up to him. “Perhaps the priestess was right eh?” “This is no time to be smart wizard.” The soldier stopped before him, he looked up. “General something came from the ocean! Jonathan told me to come and report to you!” He nodded “what of my guild champion?” “I-I don’t know.” He sighed, he guessed whatever is attacking them most likely got to him. “Right form up with the rest.” The guardsmen joined the spear wall, he ensured that the other roads are blockaded save the one in front of them. No one can get through the roads to their right and left. The enemy can only come one way. “I have a bad feeling about this…” said Docreak. “The everqueen is with us wizard, we will push back whatever has come to end us. Now get to your position.” The life wizard stroked his beard he walked to the back of his army, standing ready with his apprentices. He gestured Thornspike towards his forces, the rows of spearmen stood at the front of the open road and crossbowmen were at the back ready to fire and a unit of demigryph knights were on the flanks. He flicked the reins to send his Griffon into the air, he drew his black runesword, which has been blessed in the temple of the everqueen within the city. The runes hummed with a vibrant green. Lamick looked down, he could see his men were nervous, especially the spear wall. He raised his weapon “Stand fast! We are the shields of Alarillie! Whoever has come seeks our ruination! They seek to end our friends and families! Will you allow that to happen!?” His men answered back “No!” “Will you drive the enemy back to the sea!?” “Yes!” the cried back. He smiled, all of them were ready, they were eager to drive back the unknown foe. But for some reason the speech caused him to be short of breath. “What is that!?” one of his men called out, right in the middle of the plaza a great cloud of darkness claimed part of it. The darkness then drifted away and in its place he saw a ship wreck. It was covered in barnacles and sea life swam through the broken boards and holes. “By the everqueen what is this?” What shocked him even more is the phenomena was gripping almost the whole central area. “Lad’s hold your places! Don’t go near them!” They stood firm, they were somewhat unnerved that ship wrecks would just appear in thin air.

He then heard a long wail and from the mist, arrows shot out hitting the eyes and heads of those on the spear wall. “Garwood formation!” he barked, they raised their shields covering the front and above them. The motion was so smooth, he would complement his men, but they are in the middle of battle. Arrows kept crashing upon the iron-bark. Then from both walled off streets, riders shot out from the mist, charging his crossbowmen. They rode serpentine mounts that somehow could hover in the air, the demigryph knights went straight to saving those under attack. 

Lamick was about to move down to aid them but he heard a shrill cry coming from his right, he turned his mount to see an aelf in dark armour riding a strange beast, he is heading straight towards him. He readied his shield and blade and met the attacker, their blades clashed again and again. “Who are you! Why are you attacking us!?” The aelf said nothing, his gaze was cold, his somewhat pale features showed that he truly means to kill him. He pulled Thornspike back, but the invader rushed forward, their weapons met and grinded against each other. Lamick then heard a scream from the spear wall, he looked down slightly to see great tentacles grasping his men and pulling them into the ship wrecks. What made it worse is the spear wall is being torn apart by a whirlpool, from the mist pale skinned warriors armed with blades and axes rushed forward. “Focus on what you are doing General! I will dispel it!” Docreak called out. A quick flash of green light washed over his vision and the whirlpool was gone. He smiled and faced the aelf, his expression hasn’t changed. He pulled the reins sideways, Thronspike made a quick turn to the invader’s side. Now free from the blade lock he moved to attack, but by the time his blade reached the aelf his shield was already up, his runesword sparked against it, he kept his onslaught, he wanted to break through his guard. The aelf began grunting, but then his attack swayed, Thornspiked shrieked. He looked around to see two of the riders that attacked the crossbowmen are now stabbing his Griffon with blades. 

He was about to strike them until several slashes gripped his breastplate,  he looked forward to see the aelf renewing his assault, he was getting attacked from all sides. The aelf’s blade strikes were biting through his iron-bark armour, causing light bleeding. Thornspike gave another cry as an attack caught his wing, his mount began spiralling downwards. 

Lamick cursed, as they fell to the ground a giant flying beast then emerged from the mist, it went straight to the demigryph knights chomping and biting with its beak like mouth. The riders shot harpoons at the other knights, impaling them and ending their lives instantly. Lamick clenched his eyes shut, he wondered why is this happening? What did they do to deserve this? Before he hit the ground, he prayed, he begged the Everqueen. Please help us.

Pimorr watched the freeguild general crash to the ground, he gave a curt nod to both Akhelians. He recognised one to be Leirisha, he then thought of promoting both of them to  Lochian prince and princess once the battle is done. None would be against it. He swept his eyes over the battlefield, they were overrunning the freeguild and the wizards were surrounded. Myr-Tan was now emerging from the mist and began his work on gathering the souls, the bright essences left the corpses on both sides and entered his lurelight. The soulrender now stood over the general, he raised his weapon but as he was just about to strike, the survivors were suddenly consumed by vines and tendrils of wood. 

It wrapped around them like a cocoon, Pimorr shot down towards Myr-Tan “What is going on!?” The Soulrender slashed the cocoon but he was not even making a dent. He shook his head “someone is protecting them.” Pimorr drew his weapons and attacked it, he started to become frustrated. “Why is this happening!?” he could not allow them to escape, his people needed their souls. He kept going, he kept up his assault the frustration gave way to despair, utter despair, he saw flashes of his father being eaten by a keeper of secrets. He could hear everyone’s screams and cries of anguish. “Pi..mo...Pim...Kin...Pimorr!” he stopped. He panted and stared at the wooden cocoon, all he saw was small gashes. The sounds around him were muted, he could hear someone’s muffled voice, he looked down to his right to see Myr-Tan staring right at him, then his voice cut right through his mind. “Pimorr! Calm yourself!” He blinked several times “I am...calm.” he looked around to see everyone staring at him. He then realised what he has just done, it would be best to just move on and focus on the issue in front of him. “Bann-Roch!” he called for the Soulscryer, he came forward his ethereal scyfish were dancing around his robes. “You wish to know of the civilians?” “Yes.” “Well...what you see in front of you is happening across the city. Someone’s essence is forming a shield. What you see before you is a tangible form of this essence. Soul energy is running through the wood and vines of the cocoon.” “Can it be broken?” Bann-roch frowned “No it cannot be broken.” “Why?” He gazed at his cyfar compass for several minutes, he then looked up to him. “Can you break something created by a goddess?” Pimorr felt his frustration building again. “Why would she protect them!?” “Why not?” said Bann-Roch. “The Everqueen is not a man god! You know the stories Soulscryer!” “Many of the Idoneth know the stories told by Teclis, but..times have changed. Even Malerion and Tyrion have the odd human follower here and there. It seems they are all accepting the worship gladly, we have evidence right here.” Pimorr faced the cocoon, he was about to call for Lilaar, but the ground began to shake, across the battlefield the cocoons shot downward leaving a hole. He faced Bann-Roch, he said nothing. 

Silence gripped the plaza, he bought his eyes away from the Soulscryer and sighed. He wondered what he should do from here? He almost became lost in thought until he heard a angry wail, it almost split his ears. The sound was distant, it was coming from ahead. He flicked the reins to make Torlor swim up, as he gained some height he looked ahead to see a shifting forest is moving towards the city. His heart pounded in what some would call fear, but what he saw was a possible opportunity

Chapter 5

Garroot gave a keening wail as his warhost entered the city, the leaves screamed in uncertainty, the trees wailed in anguish and he could hear the everqueen’s song guiding him to battle. His clan left the shifting forest, the home of their glade to deliver justice to the interlopers. Dryads marched behind him and a throng of tree-reventas held weapons at the ready. Garrot gave a long grumble “The air is wrong…” The scion leading the revenants looked up to him, his white hair blowing in the wind. “This phenomenon has been happening across the coast..the leaves bring tales of raiders from the sea..” Garroot shook his frame, leaf whisper is well versed in reading the life in trees his words are normally sound. “Raiders from the sea? What are they here to take?” “I...I am not sure.” “It doesn’t matter...we will drive them from the everqueen’s city. Come.” They entered the plaza, he could see the holes across the battlefield and the corpses which were left behind. Leaf whisper approached one of the humans and knelt, examining their wounds. “These blade cuts are far too clean...it is not the great enemy that has done this.” Garroot looked around, he felt anger, rage at the ones who decided to end the lives of the everqueen’s followers. 

He remembered when this city was just a bud, they relinquished all forms of industry and blackpowder, living at one with the forest and their surroundings. To this day that has not changed, at times he hears the everqueen singing praises to this city. “Where is the enemy? I will tear them asunder..” The mist makes it hard to see, but even he could detect that this mist is magical nature. Then around him, dark magic engulfed the plaza, a black mist clouding certain areas. Once it vanished he saw a ship wreck, a wreck that now has sea life swimming around it. “On guard!” he called. The scion returned to his revenants, the dryads hands shifted to talons. A stillness fell around them, then from the mist pale malformed aelves charged out wielding blades and accursed axes. 

Garroot gave a great wail. “Kill them! For the everqueen!” 

Pimorr nodded “It’s time! Akhelians on me!” They gathered around him, he pointed at Myr-Tan and Lilaar. “You will move in with the reavers. Myr-Tan focus on harvesting souls and Lilaar you will disrupt the enemy formation with your spells.” He looked over to Bann-Roch who was standing back gazing at his cyfar compass, a smile is lining his features. He then faced forward. “What of me?” He looked up to see Tolriu standing on the Lviadon, he is frowning. “You know what I am going to say.” “To stay back?” “Yes, for I desire more Akhelian guard to cover you, we can’t afford to lose you. The sylvaneth can be unpredictable.” The master of reins resigned himself. “Very well. Don’t die Pimorr.” He smiled at him. “I won’t.” He flicked the reins, Torlor shot forward, the Akhelian guard were at his side. As they burst through the mist he saw them, the sylvaneth. Their souls are powerful and worth far more compared to many in the mortal realms. 

He pointed his weapon at the Treelord “We must take him down!” Pimorr raced towards the large sylvaneth. “Vortex formation!” he called out. Along with the Akhelian guard they swam around the treelord and attacked from all directions. He roared in anger, swinging his clawed arms, unfortunately one of the morsarr guard was caught he was smashed from his mount. He was sent flying to the ground, the dryads then fell upon him clawing him to pieces. His soul phased through the crowd of sylvaneth and entered the Soulrender’s lurelight. As he saw that happen a whirlpool was summoned in the middle of them. The dryads gave a keening scream that sounded like a hollow tree as they were twisted and broken in the air. After that the arrows fell upon the revenants with the Namtri Thrall’s shifting to attack them. They were swiftly cut down. All of this caused the treelord to rage further. Pimorr looked over to Leirisha he gave a signal, they will both aim for the head, She gave a curt nod in return. 

Pimorr shifted his mount with Leirisha, they both went towards the treelord’s head, his greatsword gave a great gash to one of the treelord’s eyes. Leirisha’s helsabre bit into his neck. The large sylvaneth bought it’s large hands to it’s face it gave an unnatural scream. Pimorr then detected the creatures within the gloomtide shipwreck’s are now waking up. “Pull back!” At his order his force pulled back from the broken sylvaneth, great tentacles shot out from the ship wrecks, grasping dying revenants and dyrads, most were crushed and others were dragged into the wrecks. The only mention of their passing is their soul leaving the ruined ship. 

The tendrils also reached for the treelord wrapping themselves around his arms, all it took was a swift tug for the tentacles to tear off his arms. The sylvaneth gave a long wail as it fell back and crushed upon the ground. The plaza was now silent again, all that was left were the souls being drawn into Myr-Tan’s lurelight. He looked down to his forces, all of them were relieved, he then scanned the thralls for Gwytthar, he spotted him resting the back of his blade on his shoulder. He looked up to him and gave a slight nod. Pimorr returned the gesture, he then went over to Myr-Tan, his lurelight shining with a great brilliance. “We have gained..far more than we bargain for.” “With their souls a great many of our people will live.” “Indeed they will.” He looked over the battlefield, he saw very few dead on their side but his eyes locked onto the dead Akhelian, he frowned. “We must take him back.” “Your father tended to leave bodies behind but take their mounts back. We have what we need.” Myr-Tan pointed at the lurelight. “His soul will be stored in the choirrleum.” “I know but…” “But what?” Pimorr tore his eyes away. “Fine, retrieve his fangmora eel. We must leave.” The Soulrender then left to gather up the Namtri, they then marched away to ensnare the sea creature. 

Lilaar smiled at him. “This has gone well, your father would be proud.” He shook his head slowly “No..he would look for a flaw. That’s just how he was.” “But you are on the right path king Pimorr. I will let Bann-Roch know that we are leaving.” The Tidecaster walked away, he watched the rest of the surviving Akehlians celebrate amongst themselves, they even compared kills. He remembered when he was like them, without a single worry save his father’s comments. Even his mother pressured him and now they are both dead. His mind ran through all their lessons, all the harsh treatments but in the end they were torn apart and devoured by daemons. It’s not fair he told himself. He should feel happy that the raid has been salvaged but his shoulders now felt heavy, it’s like weights have been tied to his arms. “My lord.” He looked down to see Gwytthar is looking up to him, despite not having eyes his retainer making such a gesture looked strange now that he thought about it. “What is it?” “Do I...have permission to speak freely?” He then spoke in almost a whisper. “Before...I said you should be like your father. But after this? It’s fine to do things your own way.” He then bowed and ran after the rest of the thralls who were helping Myr-Tan. 

Those words caused the weight to drift away slightly. Throughout this raid his father’s mantra did not even cross his mind. Pimorr smiled. “Thank you Gywtthar…” he said under his breath. 

A great light greeted his eyes, he blinked and looked around. He found himself on a bed. He was also wearing a white garment. He sat up grunting at the movement, he can feel the stitching on his chest. “You should rest.” The voice was familiar he looked ahead of him to see the blind priestess. “W-where am I?” said Lamick. He looked around his room to see crystals hovering at the corners, they released a warm light that sometimes splits into multiple colours. Staring at it did not hurt his eyes either. “You are in a temple of the Lord of lumination.” his gaze fell right upon the priestess “W-what? What of Darroot?” She shook her head. “It’s miles away it would take weeks or perhaps months to get there. You are in the coastal city of Lithinar.” Lamick furrowed his brow. “How did I get here?” “You appeared outside the gates with a host of your free guild and some civilians. The ones I did not convince to leave. Many of those who listened to me were surprised to see you considering the distance.” The priestess introduced herself again. “If you don’t remember I am Saliria.” He nodded “Saliria..is this your temple?” “No, I am a travelling priestess remember? But I am friends with the head priest Elvus. He is an aelf.” At the mention of aelf he his heart skipped a beat, memories of the battle came back. “Aelves attacked us from the sea! They...They…” “You lost general, just like the blind-god said you would.” Lamick sank back onto his bed, he cursed. “By the everqueen’s teeth! I have to go back!” “You must stay! Another tide is coming to this city. It must be stopped here.” He sat up again, trying to stand. He gripped his chest, the priestess stopped him from rising fully. “This city needs you.” “I have a city to defend!” “Not anymore. It’s destitute...most likely the tide that is coming has rummaged through it already.” “What tide!?” “A green one.” Saliria said firmly. 

Lamick thought to push her aside, but he stopped for just a moment, it was like someone was watching him putting a small amount of pressure on his body. He frowned slightly, deep down he had to admit that she was right. If he listened to her before many of his men would still be alive. “What of Thornspike?” he sat back down on his bed. The priestess gave a soft smile. “He is well, the wanderer’s who pass by this city are good with animals. They have been taking care of him, Docreak is also with them.” “I see…” he got into bed again. “Maybe...the everqueen did hear my prayer? Perhaps...I am here for a reason?” Saliria nodded. “As I said Tyrion can sense things that others are blind to. Now relax and recover. You will need your strength for the future.” He sighed and relented, he had his chance to defend Darroot perhaps the everqueen is giving him a second chance here? 

His eyes then felt heavy, his body ached. He could see the priestess is still smiling as he shut his eyes. 

A certain character that appears in this chapter might have a completely different characterisation once he is actually written about. I just want to make that point, soo he is subject to change. 

Chapter 6 
The council hall was bustling due to the celebration, that is only due to the fact over the past few weeks raids have been going well. The choirrleum would last for years as he hoped. He looked at the elder Akhelians who were no longer fit for war they celebrated among themselves. The Ishraan also talk amongst each other and the Namtri served small refreshments. But he could see everyone was holding back, he was also doing the same as well. What some would call small idle conversation, they call it a celebration. But he could also see that the various houses were making agreements amongst themselves, it’s clear enough that some would want to place their progeny in the ripe position to take over once he dies. Pimorr guessed that many in the hall wanted to lead, but due to losing limbs that makes it impossible. He imagined if the elders were hearty and strong one of them would quickly be named King to lead the phalanx after his father died. One Akhelian approached him, he wore his armour but his peg leg and missing eye are evident. His face was also covered in scars. “Rach-Gab.” Pimorr said cooly. “King Pimorr.” he answered back. He knew he is not exactly a monarch in a sense, people are judged by merit in the Idoneth and a council decides things within the enclave, it’s just that he has the most say on things. “I see you promoted by daughter, she is now princess.” “She deserved it.” he answered back. The old aelf chuckled he gave a sharp smile “My Leirisha is a strong, when I saw her during the asydrazor the teachers there said she was attentive, alert and…” His voice trailed off. 

Pimorr knew his wife was part of the raid that saw his own parents killed, going by the information he dug up is that they kept spawning Namtri. In the worst case scenario many houses look to adoption. He nodded “I agree she has a bright future.” “I am glad you agree, but I wonder when she will look for a husband.” He noted he said husband firmly and let it hang in the air for a moment. He then shrugged “But I assume that won’t happen anytime soon.” He wondered if he should be up front, but decided otherwise. In the past he had little interest in political intrigue, but back then he had no idea that he would be leader. He held his glass tightly, he made sure the others in the chamber heard him. But he did not speak too loudly. “My love for my people eclipses any personal love. My mind...and my heart is dedicated to this enclave. If it was not for this love I would of not tirelessly worked with the Ishraan to ensure this enclave survives. If someone harms this love...I will remove it.” His response caused the noble’s eye to widen slightly. He did not expect that response, after all he is his father’s son.”I wonder what Tal-ram would of think of those words.” Rach-Gab said in surprise.

His father’s name passed through his mind, he has not heard his name for months, but he knew that the Akhelian felt rebuffed by his words. “Yes he would call those words of weakness, but I will tell you something.” His retainers words bounced within his mind. “He would say that is not the marking of a leader, that what I say is weakness.” He looked down into his wine for a moment he smiled he faced Rach-Gab, all the Akehlian’s and Isahraan’s eyes were slightly directed to him also. “It is not weakness. My father...Tal-ram was wrong. If he was here...faced with the situation we had in the past he would throw all your children at the problem without thinking. He would focus on his own personal glory, he wants to be the king to save the enclave, he wants your praises. But what I do…” he made sure to say I firmly. “I do it for the love of my people. For you and everyone else in this hall. Even the Namtri within this chamber who are serving us at the moment. That is the purpose of the phalanx, we are not of the Fuethan and never will be. Not while I am king. What I do is for love not glory.” He finished speaking, there was now a silence in the hall. But he heard a clap, everyone looked to the door, who was standing there caused his heart to almost jump out of his chest. Bann-Roch and Lilaar stood next to the visitor clearly concerned. The Ishraan approached him. “We tried to stop him.” said Bann-Roch. “Be careful what you say Pimorr.” Lilaar whispered. But his eyes were locked on the pale face and eye patch. Also the bluish armour was at odds with everyone else's. 

He stopped clapping and approached while picking a glass of a tray. He smiled but strangely to Pimorr he was huge, his presence took up the whole hall. When he stood in front him Rach-Gab slinked away. Pimorr forced himself not to gulp he decided to speak first. “High king Volturnos. This is a surprise.” “Well yes, my phalanx was passing by and I thought it would be good to meet with the new king of Vosilar. After all we live in the same realm.” His voice was firm, strong and clear. He carried himself like an aelven noble of the past. “I see, so what is the nature of your visit?” Pimorr wanted to get straight to the point. He had a feeling that since his father died he wants to gain a new ally for the assembral, where all the enclaves gather to discuss matters that is important to all of them. “Your speech moved me, I thought you would be like you late father but I guess I was wrong.” Pimorr gestured to Lilaar and Bann-Roch. He wanted to talk with Volturnos king to king, after all this is a celebration not a diplomatic meeting. 

The both got his meaning and mingled with the rest of the nobles, but all eyes were on them. There were whispers in the air, others judging him, some saying to remove the high king. “Thank you, but I truly believe those words.” “It’s good because many forget what we are meant to be and focus on the darkness that holds sway over us.” He swirled the wine in the glass. “I am surprised you haven’t lost an eye yet.” “Excuse me?” “Well for one love can make you commit to rash decisions it’s good to care but not everyone feels the same.” he looked around the hall. “What we do...is a necessity and at least you understand that part.” He could sense there was something else. “But what?” “Gathering too many souls can bring unwanted attention. I understand your choice considering...the predicament you faced but your enclave is not exactly hidden.” “So you are criticizing me High king?” Pimorr said firmly. “Considering you are a guest and your words I could have you expelled from the enclave.” The High king chuckled “Strong willed as well. This is good but I am not cristicing. I am offering you some advice. I could not help but notice the many empty coastal cities filled with sleepers and the dead. I assume it’s your work also?” “What of it?” “Perhaps taking more essence than necessary has allowed an orruk warband to rampage through the smaller settlements uncontested. Which in turn means they will destroy any major city they come across due to their momentum and size.” He narrowed his eyes at Volturnos. “It’s not the enclave’s problem. The Ionarch seem more concerned in the affairs of those above why don’t you deal with it?” “Here I am offering advice..fine I will be blunt.” “A great slaaneshi warhost is approaching your enclave they will take some time to get here which is fortunate. They are being drawn to the scent of your reef of souls.” “How!?” The High king nodded “Well according to Lotann who is graciously aiding your soulwarden at the moment your choirrleum’s are overtaxed. They should of been expanded to accommodate more souls. The essence is leaking out drawing your enemy to you. Now let’s say...you run you and set up a new enclave but since you allowed a orruk menace to go unchecked you would have no one to harvest. The land-dwellers are getting smashed aside along the coast due to you taking out the cities.” Volturnos began drinking. All of that information that has been planted on top of him caused Pimorr to bite his lip slightly. 

He worked through what he can do, it’s clear he is here to warn him. But he can’t ask for aid either, it would make him look weak. All of the nobles are here, the High king specifically chose this time to visit him unless….He is testing me. He is measuring his worth as a possible ally. His father would snub the High king, he knows he would. Volturnos would not come here if he wasn’t worth speaking to. “I thank you for the information King Volturnos. I will speak with my council on these matters.” He nodded “That is good. I think you will do well.” He then turned and walked away, he placed the glass on the platter before leaving the council hall. 

His eyes swept over the Akehlians and Ishraan. “The celebration is over! Bann-Roch! Lilaar!” Everyone began shuffling out, the Tidcaster and Soulscryer approached. “Is he speaking the truth?” said Lilaar. “He is” said Bann-Roch. Pimorr nodded in agreement. “He would not stop and “visit” to lie. But what concerns me is the fact he brings up running.” “No one will accept that.” said Lilaar. “I know but that point is important, it means the size of the slaaneshi host is too great to deal with.” “I agree, what are you thinking though?” said Bann-Roch. “Every Akhelian that is of age who are still doing their asydrazor must be given basic training in riding Fangmora eels.” The tidecaster looked shocked, almost horrified. “B-bu-” “We must!” he said firmly, she closed her mouth and nodded. “Every able bodied Namtri must be trained and those who are too weak have them set up minor fortifications with the Chorralus. Send out every builder and have harpoon guns set around the enclave.” Both ishraan said nothing they just listened, that’s how serious it is. “Also our healers Tru’heas should be on standby and finally….I want to vote to sanction the disturbance of the dead.” This time their eyes went wide. The Soulscryer coughed slightly “For one...that will take time but do you believe the threat to be that serious? We will undo all the hard work we have done in these past for weeks. Our departed is making up a great many of the reef of souls.” Bann-Roch spoke calmly but he could sense he was on edge which is rare. Yet he has to push on. “I am calling the vote to sanction the disturbance of the dead. Is anyone against it? Please raise your hand.” Both kept their hands lowered. “Right so we have a clear path. I also want all the Ishraan apprentices out on the field also.” “All of them?” said Lilaar. “I want all of them, we are possibly dealing with the death of our enclave. We must use everything at our disposal.” Pimorr took a deep breath “Go and relay my orders.” The Ishraan left the council hall, he started to pace the despair he felt in Darroot came crawling back but he pushed it down. That is not what his people needed, he needs to stand tall for them. 

Chapter 7

Lviam the Gilded King lashed his horse. “Faster!” The chariot increased in speed, he was eager to get to grips with the enemy and show his splendor. His golden armour shone even under the sea, he will bring light and excess to the aelves. His seekers whooped and cheered, the paladins of his kingdom of Bariheim.

His knights barely wore armour anymore, their flesh is now used as a vector in receiving pain. What little armour they wore also held a strange glow, but it was not greater than his, because to stand above him would be heresy of the highest order. But the greatest prize of this warband is the keeper of secrets and it’s cohort, N’Varis the gorger of aelves spoke in the voices of all he devoured. +We are close…+ he shivered with pleasure. +I need to finish the collection!+ his bovine head roared in a thousand voices. Lviam knew that the daemon specifically hunted aelf souls since to him they were the sweetest. But what troubled him slightly is how they are moving in water, he could also breathe normally as well. +It’s the magic of the aelves who live here….have your sorcerer corrupt it...it’s far too cold.+ As the daemon spoke he could not help but agree, despite the joy of taking possible aelf slaves not being able to feel the warmth of the dark prince as he kills would be aggravating.

He flicked his head. “Baris!” His sorcerer's chariot moved up to his. “Yes my lord?” he smiled with golden teeth, his face and ears also had piercings. “Baris...I want you to make this…sea more pleasing for us.” The sorcerer chuckled “Aye...I wonder when you were going to ask.” He raised his staff that is shaped like a snake, a pink light erupted from it. A great darkness then covered their warband. Oddly enough he could see right through it, but right away he felt the change. The water was now warm, the bubble pops are now loud and for some reason he could now smell them...the aelves they are going to hunt. Their bodies cling with the dark prince’s glorious essence. Then an idea fell upon him Perhaps they might have an answer? They might know of his location, if he was the one who freed their patron what wonders would slaanesh bestow upon him? He smiled “Faster!” he shouted, all of his seekers upped their speed. “For slaanesh my brothers and sisters! We ride to war!”

Pimorr sat on Torlor at the edge of the city, makeshift cover made through coral’s have been made and harpoon guns have been set along the perimeter. The host of Akhelian’s were ready and even the elders were out ready to fight. They all saw what was coming, which has made his recent order even harder, more harder than the disturbance of the dead. He looked down to Myr-Tan. “Have the apprentice Ishraan left along with the civilians?” “Yes, the Soulrenders also carry the remainder of our reef of souls within their lurelights. Gwytthar and his thralls are with them, escorting them away from the city.” “Good.” His eyes did not leave the strange tide of darkness. He faced the line of thralls and reavers standing behind them. “I don’t think this will be enough…” his eyes moved to the darkness again. “It’s not.” Bann-roch said calmly. “I can feel their corrupted souls from here...this warband is in the thousands. Almost a whole kingdom worth of people. Along with that…” the Soulscryer trailed off slightly. “Along with what?” “Daemons…” Lilaar shook her head. “They are also tainting the ethersea.” “Well then...we have no choice but to win. Is the Eidolon primed?” “Yes, soon as the enemy comes within range...the rage of Mathlaan with awaken.” “Good...that is good.” He gripped the reins of his deepmare. But from some reason the grip on his blade was light, his heart began beating rapidly. He thought to himself why is this happening? His people were enjoying a resurgence, now their possible destruction is coming. The darkness crept closer and closer until it suddenly dissipated to reveal a whole army of slaaneshi warriors mounted on horses, chariots and daemons.   

But oddly his eyes were drawn to the keeper of secrets, he felt his lungs tightening, he shuddered in fear but then the daemon roared out in a voice he did not expect to hear. +So weak! So pitiful as always! You are not the leader our people needs!” Pimorr shook his head. “No...it can’t be…” +You were lucky! Everyone died! Why do you live!?+ this time it was the voice of his mother. He found his hands shaking on the reins, despair crept into his heart again and all around him he could only hear muffled shouts. Darkness danced around his eyes I...failed? Maybe I should of asked for help? The High king would of aided me… +See? Always needing the help of others…+ his father spoke coldly. Pimorr was about to speak, but a blue light washed over his eyes. A screech of anger and fury greeted his ears. He blinked to see the cavalry have suddenly smashed through their lines, he could see the great Eidolon streaking through the sea like a comet, the Eidolon of Mathlann was in the aspect of the storm. It fell among the daemonettes stabbing with it’s spear and slashing with it’s crulhook. It then moved to the keeper of secrets. The greater daemon began almost dancing around the eidolon, dodging his blows. The sea life around it sought out and hunted the chaos riders, but despite what is happening before him their lines were broken, the Akhelians were doing all they can to salvage the battle. He searched around for Myr-Tan, he was pulling off riders with his talunhook and his rakerdart removed heads. “We need to form up!” he shouted over the din of battle, but the Soulrender was consumed with fighting for his life. He searched the sea for the Lviadon but it seemed Tolriu was busy with avoiding the magical blasts of the sorcerer. +Useless! Your people view you as a failure!+ His eyes strangely returned to the keeper of secrets, it’s visage caused his mind to swirl slightly. The eidolon of mathlaan came to attack the keeper again, but it’s blade moved like a blur and impaled the aspect. It gave a silent yell as the greater daemon began guzzling on the souls leaking from it’s frame.

Despite eating, his father spoke in his mind. +Come...prove that you are the best my boy…+  Pimorr shot towards the keeper of secrets, anger consuming his whole body. “You always put me down!” he roared. “What did I do to deserve your scorn!?” he shouted at his deperated father. He needed to silence him. To prove he is the best, his father knows nothing, his mother knows nothing. Darkness closed around him, no one mattered. He drew his falchion, he ground his teeth as his blade fell upon his dead father Tal-Ram.

He saw the Eidolon falling from his father sputtering away to nothing, he sat proudly on the deepmare. His white hair flowed in the water, his frown tore into him. He casually raised his blade to block his strike. After that multiple voices began to pass through his mind  +I have you…+ Pimorr did not care if he did, he needed to prove himself, he need to prove him wrong. “You are weak, always have been. Crying for your mother...but I am glad she scorned your need for succor…” his father said cooly. He kept attacking viciously “I don’t need your words! I am better than you! I saved the enclave!” Tal-Ram laughed as he continued to block and deflect his strikes. “Is that what you tell yourself boy? On the beach you allowed the ishraan to do what they wanted…” “It was n-” “you are weak. Could not even stand up to them...this paltry defense is nothing. You will lose here and I will take my rightful place as king of the phalanx.” At the mention of becoming king again he panicked. His father then parried his attack leaving him wide open, he then did a great slash bringing his greatsword down across the right side of his body. He felt the sword taking his right eye, tearing through his body. He screamed, his deepmare gave a shrill cry due to half its face being cut off. Blood poured from his mouth. He then toppled from his saddle, falling to the wayside as Torlor died.

The darkness vanished, instead of his father he saw a greater daemon laughing with glee. +Finally! I wonder how your soul tastes!? Now the collection will be finished! Join your family in my stomach!+ He watched the keeper of secrets reach out in slow motion. He could hear the screams of his phalanx reverberating in his mind, now he realised what he allowed the daemon to do. The weight of what has just happened now came crashing upon his body. He closed his eye I am a poor king. Suddenly he felt himself moving. The daemon cried out in anger, Pimorr struggled to open his eye but he could hear a horn. He looked up slightly to see the blurred visage high king, Pimorr found himself slung over his saddle. Blinking a few more times he could see Volturnos was blowing a horn. Across the battlefield those still alive fell in behind the high king’s own phalanx, and the Ionarch Akehlian guard picked up those without mounts.

Pimorr tried to speak but all he gave is a small rasp before darkness crawled across his vision.

Pimorr saw flashes, scenes of father’s death. He raced towards his father on his fangmora eel, the daemon held him in it’s clutches. He reached out, but his father shouted. “Stay back!” He ignored his warning, Pimorr drew his helsabre, he attacked the daemon but with a flick from its arm he was sent hurtling towards nearby houses, flying off his Fangmora eel. He staggered to his feet, coughing up blood. Then he saw it, he saw the daemon tearing off his father’s head, it then stuffed him into its mouth. Pimorr roared in anger, but before he could even take a step, someone grabbed him. “We have to flee!” Tolriu shouted. The lower Akhelian held him tightly while he rode his fangmora eel. “Let me go! I am not a coward! Let me go!” he screamed.

His eye slowly opened, he gasped as the Tru’heas bright blue light washed over him. His body still ached, but he needed to get up. He grit his teeth as he sat up. Gwytthar was kneeling over him along with Myr-Tan. “You need your rest my king.” said his retainer  “No!” he barked back. “What of the enclave!?” He forced himself to his feet, he looked around to see Akhelians shaking their heads while sitting on their mounts, some Namtri just by their body language looked devastated. The Ishraan as always looked calm but he could see it. They were furious. Pimorr looked ahead to see the high king standing over at a ridge next to his deepmare. Pimorr staggered over. “W-what happened?” In silence he pointed forward, his heart shattered to see what is before him. In the distance he could see the followers of chaos rasnacking his home, pillaging it and hunting those who could not escape. “W-why did this happen?” “Because you did not ask for help.” said the high king. Pimorr flicked to Volturnos “What did you expect me to do!?” His one eye fell upon him, his gaze was dark almost cold, the look he gave him was far more harsher than the Soulscryer. “You bent to the will of the nobles, you should of put the safety of the enclave over what they wanted.” “But I ne- “You need nothing!” he shouted. “You...need….nothing.” he said firmly. Pimorr almost flinched back slightly, now he saw his age, his whole form now showed truly why he earned the title of high king. Volturnos now began to speak coldly, but his voice was still smooth “Your role as king is to ensure the safety of your enclave. To ensure that they prosper and have enough souls. The politics of nobles...should be secondary to all of that. When you refused to ask for my aid due to appearances, you cared more about how you look to the Akhelian’s than your duty. You failed...completely and utterly.” His words crushed him, the wave of despair washed over him again.

His right eye started to hurt, he placed his hand upon it but all he felt is scar tissue, but it wouldn’t stop hurting. He saw the flashes of his father’s death, him sitting idle as the warband destroyed their lines and the keeper dispatching the Eidolon easily. The despair he felt was choking him, but he began to ground his teeth the despair giving way to anger and frustration. “They….will pay…” His hand over his right eye turned into a fist. “I will destroy them for this…” “How will you do that?” Pimorr lowered his hand and faced the high king. He stared at him. “First thing we must do is rebuild.” “No! No! You will not lead us!” Rach-Gab approached with a group of elder Akhelian’s, along with the members of the Ishraan caste. Bann-Roch and Lilaar were among them. “You sat on your deepmare like an idiot while our lines were overrun! We have spoken and a new king will be chosen!” Pimorr shook his head “fine.” He tore of his black cloak and threw it on the ground. He removed his ruined chestplate and chucked it on the ground along with it. Everyone save the high king looked at him in confusion, he closed his eye for a moment and then opened it. “I will be founding a new enclave, an enclave where our people come first...” He began to walk past the confused nobles, he faced the tattered remains of Vosilar. “The enclave I want will also be a place where we will hound the followers of chaos! they are our enemies forevermore! We will ring their souls from their bodies and place their broken souls within our new reef!” The Akhelians stared at him in shock, Rach-Gab began to stammer behind him. “Y-Yo-” “I don’t care what you have to say! Pick your new king! I am no longer part of your enclave!” He took a deep breath and exhaled. Bubbles left his mouth. “We will show those dogs who we truly are….” He swept his eyes over them. “Even if this has to be my own personal crusade.” Myr-Tan walked over to him. “I will follow you.” Then came Gwytthar along with what he assumed to be his wife, they said nothing. Soon as they came to his side the rest of the surviving Namtri followed.

He could see the novice Akhelian’s hesitating, but Leirisha came to his side with her fangmora eel along with her squad. “What are you doing!?” Rach-Gab shouted. Leirisha looked over to the old noble for a moment but then her eyes fell back on him. She said nothing at all.

After that people trickled to his side until there was only a small amount of nobles left. The naysayers who desired a new king. But then Bann-roch shook his head wearily and came over to his side, then after that it was Lilaar until Rach-Gab was by himself. He trembled with fury “You spit on your father’s legacy!” “My father is dead Rach-Gab. Devoured by the daemon that is now tearing apart our old home.” The noble shook his head and drew his blade “I call for an honour duel!” Pimorr was not surprised, he desired to rule, even through his adopted daughter. Leirisha offered him her helsabre, he took it and strode towards the old Akhelian. “Why do you wish to die?” said Pimorr. “I will not follow a weak king!” “Yes I am weak now, but I will get stronger. Strong enough to crush all our enemies.” He clutched the handle of the blade tightly. He could see the high king still standing on the ridge, looking at what is unfolding with interest.

Rach-Gab charged, despite having a peg leg he was still swift on his feet. Pimorr waited, the noble raised his blade and bought it down. But as the blade moved through the water, he could feel it, something was different. There was cold anger gripping his body, it was like a tide rising slowly. Pimorr parried the attack that was coming down to him, then in a swift blade flick he removed the elder Akehlian’s head, it toppled to the ground and then his body with it. A red mist left the stump of his head and body. He faced his new enclave. “We will be of the Pros-Mineth, the sea that swallows all.” he said firmly. There was no cheers, just grim nods. From here things will be hard, but he looked over to the high king, just by his smile it’s clear that he will aid him and this time he will accept it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have some sad news, I am discontinuing this story. Due to the fact that...I like writing stories while collecting my army. I love the story and character of the Idoneth. But there is a problem on the hobby side, specifically this unit.  

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/920x950/99120219008_IdonethMorrsarrGuard01.jpg

Beautiful models, but then comes the flying stands. How they did them, does not exactly make it fun to put together, I pinned the first set but then I look at the fact I want a lviadon, Allopex etc. Then comes the storage issues as well. So I am terrible sorry if you were enjoying this story. But the hobby aspect...is not exactly....fun so to speak. But I do guarntee an AOS slaanesh story whenever they get updated. The main character has already been revealed. psst....GW do a chariot hero.... 

Again I am sorry. :( 

Archived