Nighthaunt Army List

Nuradin

So there has been some discussion in the Nighthaunt Discussion thread about army lists and I find it very interesting to hear what crazy ideas people have for army lists, so i thought I would create a new thread where we can just go wild (if you so choose).

The rules are simple. You post a concept of an army list. It doesn't have to be finished, since we don't really have all the information yet.

It could be a fun list just for the heck of it, it could be a competitive list or it could just be a "this list looks bad ass" or "I want to build a banshee army list".
All you have to do is post what sort of list it is so people are aware.

If you want people to comment on your list or come with suggestions you post that as well.

The army list does not have to be Nighthaunt Allegiance! It could be LoN allegiance, however the army should have a nighthaunt focus. So if you go with LoN you should be using Nighthaunt battleline and try to ally in as much nighthaunt as possible. You can use other death characters and units, but the majority should be Nighthaunt.

The most interesting thing is how you came up with the list and how you would play it on the table. So it would be nice if you finished it all off with a bit of a summary of how your army list plays!

Let's get rolling! I am hoping to see some fun and amazing lists posted :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok here is my go:

Leaders
1 x Kurdoss 220
1 x Reikenor 180
1 x Vampire Lord 140 (Ally) (Flying Variant)
1 x Guardian of Souls 140

Units
30 x Grimghast Reapers
30 x Grimghast Reapers
6 x Spirithost

Behemoth
1 x Mourngul

1940 / 2000

Here is my idea behind the list. Your hammer is the Grimghast with extra attacks from the Vampire Lord and healing from him and the GoS. You don't want to deep strike them because you need to them be crashing into the front of the enemy and chewing them up. With 2 CP you are looking at 4 attacks each hitting on 4+ with rerolls very likely cause of the 5+ rule and wounding on 3+ with reroll of 1s from the GoS all that with -1 rend which is great with MS now only rerolling 1s. With the 2" reach you have a good shot of getting most of your models in for attacks looking at  120 attacks in one turn. 

While that grinder is moving up the field you needs something to draw away your opponents attention and that is where Reikenor and the Mourngul come in. They are sacrifices that you are going to deeps strike behind the enemy and pressure key piece that forces him to react to them instead of the meat grinder working its way up the board. With 14" move and 12" move respectively you can play some cat and mouse in the back with the support characters.  This also gives you a chance to dispel endless spells supporting the enemy army and get some counter spells on enemy mages hiding in a corner. 

Kurdoss is there for the "oh ******" moment. You can use the 5+ CP steal to hopefully get a second turn of 120 attacks or if something comes in behind use the Nighthaunt Command ability to bring back the unit of Spirit hosts to protect a point or tie up a cav unit that has found its way around the board. 

The last 60 points can go for a CP or Endless spell. I haven't quite decided. But comments are appreciated. 

I call this list “Chestghast”.

It has to be 2500 points due to needing 8 hero’s.

Lady Olynder (king/general)

Kurdoss (queen)

2x Guardian of Souls (bishops)

2x Dreadblade Harrows(knights)

2x Spirit Torments (rooks)

8x units (pawns)

The hero’s are just short of 1200 points, so you have 1300 points to choose your pawns. Four units have to be battleline. You might go spirithosts and Hexwraiths or maybe 4x 20 chastrasp hordes and 4x 4 sniperghasts.

17 hours ago, howze785 said:

Ok here is my go:

Leaders
1 x Kurdoss 220
1 x Reikenor 180

Units
30 x Grimghast Reapers
30 x Grimghast Reapers
6 x Spirithost

Behemoth
1 x Mourngul

1940 / 2000

Here is my idea behind the list. Your hammer is the Grimghast with extra attacks from the Vampire Lord and healing from him and the GoS. You don't want to deep strike them because you need to them be crashing into the front of the enemy and chewing them up. With 2 CP you are looking at 4 attacks each hitting on 4+ with rerolls very likely cause of the 5+ rule and wounding on 3+ with reroll of 1s from the GoS all that with -1 rend which is great with MS now only rerolling 1s. With the 2" reach you have a good shot of getting most of your models in for attacks looking at  120 attacks in one turn. 

While that grinder is moving up the field you needs something to draw away your opponents attention and that is where Reikenor and the Mourngul come in. They are sacrifices that you are going to deeps strike behind the enemy and pressure key piece that forces him to react to them instead of the meat grinder working its way up the board. With 14" move and 12" move respectively you can play some cat and mouse in the back with the support characters.  This also gives you a chance to dispel endless spells supporting the enemy army and get some counter spells on enemy mages hiding in a corner. 

Kurdoss is there for the "oh ******" moment. You can use the 5+ CP steal to hopefully get a second turn of 120 attacks or if something comes in behind use the Nighthaunt Command ability to bring back the unit of Spirit hosts to protect a point or tie up a cav unit that has found its way around the board. 

The last 60 points can go for a CP or Endless spell. I haven't quite decided. But comments are appreciated. 

I love your idea. I would think about something even easier to use/pile-in, and focusing on this psychological trick of dropping 2 behemoths with their regen and debuff bubble behind the lines (...and saving some painting time :D).

Leaders
1 x KoS on mount 140
1 x Tomb Banshee
1 x Tomb Banshee

Units
20 x Grimghast Reapers
20 x Grimghast Reapers
6 x Spirithost

Behemoth
1 x Mourngul (in underworld)
1 x Mourngul (in udnerworld)

1980 / 2000

1 hour ago, Uvatha said:

I love your idea. I would think about something even easier to use/pile-in, and focusing on this psychological trick of dropping 2 behemoths with their regen and debuff bubble behind the lines (...and saving some painting time :D).

Leaders
1 x KoS on mount 140
1 x Tomb Banshee
1 x Tomb Banshee

Units
20 x Grimghast Reapers
20 x Grimghast Reapers
6 x Spirithost

Behemoth
1 x Mourngul (in udnerworld)

1980 / 2000

Interesting Idea. The reason I went with horde type grinder is that I wanted them to survive with the limited healing of one vampire lord and the GoS. I might give 20 x GRs a try but add another Vampire Lord which could give me 2d3 and 1d6 of potential healing/models each turn, that comes to an average of 7 models each turn.

I still like the idea of Reinkenor deepstriking cause you want them turn one contests against armies that are depending on cogs or a Gaunt Summoner for example. He is fast and if he can get a turn 1 charge on a squishy you could take an artifact to make him more killy in melee. 

Leaders
1 x Kurdoss 220
2 x Vampire Lord 280 (Ally) (Flying Variant)
1 x Reinkenor

Units
20 x Grimghast Reapers
20 x Grimghast Reapers
6 x Spirithost

Behemoth

1920/2000

I'm trying to get a feel for the new Nighthaunt without breaking the bank...but I have a bunch of Nighthaunt from GHB2017. 

Most of my group plays at 1k, and I'm really into the idea of a Knight of Shrouds on Horseback leading some hexwraiths and harrows.

For 1k I'm thinking this:

Leaders
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)

Dreadblade Harrow x2 (200)

Battleline
10 x Hexwraiths (320)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

Total: 960 / 1000

Leaves me with 40 points for an endless spell. I'd put the Beacon of Nagashizzar relic on the Guardian, but scrollbuilder doesn't seem to have it.

The plan would be for the Knight of Shrouds and Hexwraiths to start in the underworld with everyone else on the field, since the Harrows can teleport around. The Chainrasps are a nice anvil to the hexwraith+shroud hammer, plus the Guardian of Souls and the Knight can return models to their unit while the Harrows harass objectives or artillery.

What do you think?

22 hours ago, howze785 said:

I still like the idea of Reinkenor deepstriking cause you want them turn one contests against armies that are depending on cogs or a Gaunt Summoner for example. He is fast and if he can get a turn 1 charge on a squishy you could take an artifact to make him more killy in melee. 

I like his style :) But are you sure you can give him an artifact if he is a named model?

On 7/3/2018 at 12:58 PM, Zinnar said:

I'm trying to get a feel for the new Nighthaunt without breaking the bank...but I have a bunch of Nighthaunt from GHB2017. 

Most of my group plays at 1k, and I'm really into the idea of a Knight of Shrouds on Horseback leading some hexwraiths and harrows.

For 1k I'm thinking this:

Leaders
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)

Dreadblade Harrow x2 (200)

Battleline
10 x Hexwraiths (320)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

Total: 960 / 1000

Leaves me with 40 points for an endless spell. I'd put the Beacon of Nagashizzar relic on the Guardian, but scrollbuilder doesn't seem to have it.

The plan would be for the Knight of Shrouds and Hexwraiths to start in the underworld with everyone else on the field, since the Harrows can teleport around. The Chainrasps are a nice anvil to the hexwraith+shroud hammer, plus the Guardian of Souls and the Knight can return models to their unit while the Harrows harass objectives or artillery.

What do you think?

If you change this to x1 Dreadblade Harrow, x1 mKoS, x1 Black Coach, x2 units of Hexwraiths... you can then take the Death Riders battalion as will for 9+ charge combats, and the Black Coach can return lost models including 2 wound hexwraiths.  That would get you an extra artifact as well as a spare CP.

I thought about something like this for a 1k List:

Olynder 240

GoS 140

Spirit Torment 120 / Dreadblade Harrow 100 / Lord Executioner 80 (Situational)

6x Spirit hosts 240

20x Grimghast Reapers 280

This looks more like an elite army. I thought about dropping that 3. hero and add 10x more Grimghasts, leaving some points for an endless Spell.

46 minutes ago, Nevar said:

If you change this to x1 Dreadblade Harrow, x1 mKoS, x1 Black Coach, x2 units of Hexwraiths... you can then take the Death Riders battalion as will for 9+ charge combats, and the Black Coach can return lost models including 2 wound hexwraiths.  That would get you an extra artifact as well as a spare CP.

Yeah, that's my ultimate goal, but like I said- I'm trying to keep initial costs down. I was gifted a Soul Wars box, and already had a bunch of Hexwraiths, so I'd just need to buy the Harrows.

In my head I was trying to make a 1k point Deathriders battalion work, but I just don't think it would be that strong. The coach is a strong model for sure, and if you tag team it with one of the heroes having the Ruler of the Spirit host trait, you can bring back multiple hexwraiths a turn....but you lose a lot of flexibility, since the coach+battalion are really expensive, leaving you with only minimum size hexwraith units, which can get deleted pretty quickly, and it makes it harder to get use out of the Knight of Shrouds' command ability, since you have to pick a unit to give the +1 attack to, it isn't an aura ability.

That being said, I really really love the Deathriders battalion, and want to run that, ultimately, at 2k with Reikenor but that's a long term plan.

59 minutes ago, Zinnar said:

Yeah, that's my ultimate goal, but like I said- I'm trying to keep initial costs down. I was gifted a Soul Wars box, and already had a bunch of Hexwraiths, so I'd just need to buy the Harrows.

In my head I was trying to make a 1k point Deathriders battalion work, but I just don't think it would be that strong. The coach is a strong model for sure, and if you tag team it with one of the heroes having the Ruler of the Spirit host trait, you can bring back multiple hexwraiths a turn....but you lose a lot of flexibility, since the coach+battalion are really expensive, leaving you with only minimum size hexwraith units, which can get deleted pretty quickly, and it makes it harder to get use out of the Knight of Shrouds' command ability, since you have to pick a unit to give the +1 attack to, it isn't an aura ability.

That being said, I really really love the Deathriders battalion, and want to run that, ultimately, at 2k with Reikenor but that's a long term plan.

Hexwraiths are a bit harder to kill than people give them credit for, especially if you are playing at 1k.  I have used a x15 man block of Hexwraiths for the past year at 2k points, and even with an enemy army of 2k focusing on them I rarely lose more than 5 or 6 in one turn.  While that sounds like a whole wiped out unit, keep in mind that is 2k worth of enemy anger not 1k.

Keep in mind I am doing this "in the mind's eye" and I don't have black and white points to mess around with.  Can you not up one of the units to a 10 man block to receive the mKoS's buff?

Taking a battalion would allow you an extra artifact to make the Dreadblade more vicious or turn him into a wizard for example.  Likewise the Black Coach is likely to do a lot of damage if the enemy doesn't whittle it down at all, making that Battalion at 1k pretty mean, since if they focus the Hexwraiths they get hit with a Coach wrecking ball, and if they focus the Coach ghost horses plow into them and cause mortal wounds.

OK I have two lists in mind first being 1000, The idea is to to grind the foe down with mortals and play the recursion game with the chainrasps

1000 Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief's NightHaunt

1 Command points
3 drops

Battalions/Endless Spells
Chainguard 120

Aethervoid Pendulum 40

Soulsnare Shackles 20

Heros
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief 240

Spirit Torment 120
(Midnight Tome/Life Stealer)

Guardian of Souls 140
(Wychlight Lantern)

Battleline
20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

Army total 1000

The 2nd list is 2000 and it's more of the same with the added hammer of the shroud guard and the craven king.

2000 Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief's NightHaunt

2 Command points
5 drops

Chainguard 120

Shroudguard 110

Chronomantic Cogs 60

Suffocating Gravetide 30

Heros

Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King 220

Spirit Torment 120

Guardian of Souls 140
(Wychlight Lantern)

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed 140
(Shadow's Edge)

Battleline
20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

10 Grimghast Reapers 140

Other
10 Bladegheist Revenants 180

Army total 2000

Reikenor the Grimhailer with life stealer
10 Bladegheist Revenants
10 Bladegheist Revenants 
Shroud Guard 
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed : General with ruler of the spirit hosts and  pendant of the fell wind
Guardian of Souls with soul cage and beacon of nagishazzar
Guardian of Souls with shademist
Dreadblade Harrow 
20 Grimghast Reapers 
20 Grimghast Reapers
20 Chainrasp Hordes 
Chronomantic Cogs

1950pts

On 7/6/2018 at 6:57 AM, LordDrakonus said:

The 2nd list is 2000 and it's more of the same with the added hammer of the shroud guard and the craven king.

2000 Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief's NightHaunt

2 Command points
5 drops

Chainguard 120

Shroudguard 110

Chronomantic Cogs 60

Suffocating Gravetide 30

Heros

Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King 220

Spirit Torment 120

Guardian of Souls 140
(Wychlight Lantern)

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed 140
(Shadow's Edge)

Battleline
20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

10 Grimghast Reapers 140

Other

Army total 2000

This list is interesting. I have been thinking along similar lines.

I have been thinking about what else to do with Nighthaunt other than builds around the rider battalion. Nighthaunt strength is mobility. This should lend itself to a sneaky army build, compatible to top tier Eldar tournament armies (from 40k).

So what these armies do is use mobility to gain victory points while using sneaky tactics to prevent the opposing army from functioning. They will have a few units that can deal out a lot of damage.

So NH have the needed mobility: mostly fast, flying units with a deepstrike rule. Plus some special rules for some teleport and some retreat and charge and even run and charge. Lots of mobility potential.

What is needed is ways to gum up the opposing army. There are some debuffs, some sniping ability, the shrieked battalion messes with moral, some spell unbinding, and what else? Olynder has a spell that debuffs an enemy unit. Kordoss inrefers with command points. So can we get all these debuffs into a list?

OK, so here is a build around the shrieker host, given it is the only battalion that gives a nice debuff. ( opponent reroll battleshock rolls of 1, can not use inspiring presence within 6” of these units. M Banshees unbind spells, D Harridans debuff hits -1 within 3”).

Olynder

Kurdoss

Guardian of Souls 

Spirit Torment

Tomb Banshee

1x20 rasps  - BL

2x10 reapers  - BL

2x 5 Harridans

2x 4 M Banshees

1x4 Sniperghasts

battalion shrieker host

two artefacts to hand out and I think there might be a few points left over for an endless spell. I am not happy with the low model count in most units but that is the way those sneaky Eldar lists roll, so might be ok with the right play style.

This list might not seem much but i think its got potential

Reikenor

Chronomantic cogs

mKoS pendant of fell wind, rulef ofthe spirthosts

40 chainrasps

30 grimghasts

30 grimghasts

Black Coach

Black Coach

1940/2000

You start with an additional command point which allows you to give your buff to both ghast hnits on turn 1

You have 7 drops which seemed low from a competetive standpoint

30 grims under+1 attack can kill a blob of 40 skellies on average so they arent lacking in the dmg department, you have the coachs which can most likely get run and charge turn 1 for 19" plus run +2d6 +2 charge  

And you cover your rear with 40 chainrasps

Thought that i would copy this here.  My idea for an army. 

Battlations

Execution Horde
Shroudguard

Leaders

Lord Executioner - General
CT - Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
A - Balefire Blade

Knight of Shrouds Mounted
A - Shrieking Blade

Spirit Torment
A - Pendant of the Fell wind

Battleline

Spirit Hosts x3

Spirit Hosts x3

Spirit Hosts x3

Other Units

Bladegheist Revenants x20

Chainghasts x2

Chainghasts x2

Behemoth

Black Coach

what do you think? Comes in at 1990pts

44 minutes ago, deadmeat30 said:

Thought that i would copy this here.  My idea for an army. 

Battlations

Execution Horde
Shroudguard

Leaders

Lord Executioner - General
CT - Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
A - Balefire Blade

Knight of Shrouds Mounted
A - Shrieking Blade

Spirit Torment
A - Pendant of the Fell wind

Battleline

Spirit Hosts x3

Spirit Hosts x3

Spirit Hosts x3

Other Units

Chainghasts x2

Chainghasts x2

Behemoth

Black Coach

what do you think? Comes in at 1990pts

I like it, only thing I would say you lack is some recursion, but Black coach can kinda due it, I think I'd rather have lantern ghost and some more spirit hosts but thats me

Im in love with the deathriders battalion, as well as Reikenor. I also really like the bladegheists. Based on this i have come up with 2 lists, one including all the models i like, and one more focused on the deathriders being effective, getting more value from the bonus by increasing the hexwraith unit sizes.

List 1:

Reikenor the Grimhailer - 180
-Soul Cage

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed - 140
(General)
(Shroudguard)
-Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
-Pendant of the Fell Wind

Dreadblade Harrow - 100
-Midnight Tome
-Shademist

Hexwraiths x5 - 160

Hexwraiths x5 - 160

Black Coach - 280

Bladegheist Revenants x20 - 320

Bladegheist Revenants x20 - 320

Chainrasp Horde x10 - 80

Malevolent Maelstrom/Quicksilver Swords/Soulsnare Shackles - 20

Deathriders Batallion - 130

Shroudguard - 110

Total: 2000/2000
Leaders: 3
Battleline: 3
Behemoths: 1
Additional CP (from battalions): 2

Wounds: 100
---------------------------------------------------------------

List 2:

-Soul Cage

(General)

Dreadblade Harrow - 100
-Midnight Tome
-Lifestealer/Spirit Drain?

Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern - 140
-Shademist

Hexwraiths x10 - 320

Hexwraiths x10 - 320

Black Coach - 280

Grimghast Reapers x30 - 360

Total: 1990/2000
Leaders: 4
Additional CP (from battalions): 1

Wounds: 105

The first list feels a little wonky, being forced to take a 10-man unit of chainrasp to fill battleline, and only having min units of hexwraiths, making them more fragile and really not optimising the potential bonus from the battalion. Also im missing out on one of my artefacts since Reikenor cannot take one and i only have 2 other heroes. In return i get a whole lot of damage output in the form of bladegheists, with a 5++ to keep them alive longer.

The second list capitalises better on the deathrider bonus by increasing the hexwraith units, also helping them stay alive for longer. I dont need to take a min-size battleline filler, but get points over for a full 30-man Grimghast unit, and more recursion in the form of the GoS. Also i wont be "wasting" points on a battalion without using the additional artefact. Im not sure about the spell choice for the dreadblade harrow, the 18" range of Spirit Drain may come in handy if he relocates to a backward objective during the game.

What do you guys think?

18 minutes ago, KoalaSnok said:

-Soul Cage

(General)

Dreadblade Harrow - 100
-Midnight Tome
-Lifestealer/Spirit Drain?

Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern - 140
-Shademist

Hexwraiths x10 - 320

Hexwraiths x10 - 320

Black Coach - 280

Grimghast Reapers x30 - 360

Total: 1990/2000
Leaders: 4
Additional CP (from battalions): 1

Wounds: 105

The second list capitalises better on the deathrider bonus by increasing the hexwraith units, also helping them stay alive for longer. I dont need to take a min-size battleline filler, but get points over for a full 30-man Grimghast unit, and more recursion in the form of the GoS. Also i wont be "wasting" points on a battalion without using the additional artefact. Im not sure about the spell choice for the dreadblade harrow, the 18" range of Spirit Drain may come in handy if he relocates to a backward objective during the game.

You can also split the Hexwraiths into x10,5,5 to fill battle line.  One will fall out of the battalion, but you use them as objective runners or mKoS body guards.  Drop the Grimghasts and replace them with Bladegeists.  You will have less of them, but you will force your enemy to worry about threat overload.  Bladegeists can also fallback and charge giving you more late game flexibility for relocation.

3 minutes ago, Nevar said:

You can also split the Hexwraiths into x10,5,5 to fill battle line.  One will fall out of the battalion, but you use them as objective runners or mKoS body guards.  Drop the Grimghasts and replace them with Bladegeists.  You will have less of them, but you will force your enemy to worry about threat overload.  Bladegeists can also fallback and charge giving you more late game flexibility for relocation.

Thats a great idea, and it has the added bonus of letting me use the cooler models aswell as either giving me yet another CP or switching out/adding on endless spells :D

17 hours ago, Nevar said:

Drop the Grimghasts and replace them with Bladegeists

Bladegheist vs Reapers : you really think that they are better? could you enlighten us please?  BTW, in the list above, the reapers are battleline so he can keep the Hex in units of 10....

2 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Bladegheist vs Reapers : you really think that they are better? could you enlighten us please?  BTW, in the list above, the reapers are battleline so he can keep the Hex in units of 10....

Bladegeists are substantially better than Grimgasts.  They both have majority same stats, but Bladegeists gain +1 attack on the charge as a natural ability, and they are able to fall back and charge also as a natural ability.  Likewise, their rerolls to hit are not dependent on enemy composition.  They can get rerolls to hit on single monsters if you have any Chaingasts in the area.  With their 8" move this gives them a 20" threat range even while engaged in combat and allows them to dirvish around the table to be where you need them, when you need them there.

Grimgasts are good, and cool models, but once you commit them to a combat, you have to either teleport them out with your general, or fall back from combat and spend a turn not fighting.   Plus their fall back threat range is effectively zero since they cannot charge afterwards.

I am aware Grimgasts are battle line, which is why he had to split up his hexwraiths if he wanted to trade them for Bladegeists.

Archived