The Spirit Bomb 2000

Justinian

This is the 2000 point list I'm thinking of building. I've tried to work the characters into units where they can use magic or command to buff the units weakness and with Deathless Minions and Ruler of the Night get that sweet 5++. 

The Spirit Bomb 2000

Allegiance - Death
Allegiance Trait - Deathless Minions
Command Trait - Ruler of the Night
Artefact - Tomb Blade

Leaders -
General - VLoZD - Deathlance (Tomb Blade), Shield, Chalice - 440pts
Heinrich Kemmler - 160pts
Necromancer - 120pts

Battleline -
20 Zombies - 120pts
20 Zombies - 120pts
10 Zombies - 60pts

Units -
12 Spirit Host - 480pts
4 Morghast Archai - 480pts

Total: 1980/2000pts

General strategy and composition would be:

VLoZD + Spirit Hosts:

The mortal wound bomb of the army. The Vamps command ability shores up the weakness of the spirits being inaccurate by giving rerolls to hit, 72x 5+ to hit attacks with 6s causing mortal wounds. Will also use mystic shield on them for a 3+ ignoring rend and a 5++ after that. The vamp himself will be my horde killer which is where the Tomb Blade will shine by combining with the Hunger to take his healing up to 9000 and with a 3+/5++ with the chalice as well he will be pretty hard to take down. 

Kemmler + Morghast:

Kemmler can keep up with the Morghast using his cloak to teleport and his healing spell helps stop the Morghasts from being slowly whittled down. The -2 rend helps against high armoured units such as saurus guard. Being a hero Kemmler also helps by putting the extra deathless minions save on to Morghasts. 

Necromancer and Zombies:

The cheap battleline that can join into a super unit and with the necromancer in there for a deathless minions save and Vanhel's to help with low number of attacks per model by piling in twice. Using his 4+ look out sir type roll the necromancer is pretty hard to character snipe out too. 

Anyway happy to hear thoughts and constructive criticism. 

A very solid list.

I'd go for Mannfred (on horse) instead of  Kemmler - same cost, but Mannfred's spell is better - healing 1 wound isn't going to make a huge difference to the Archai.

I'd take Harbingers for alpha strike over Archai (you don't need the can opener rend as the Spirits do that for you with their mortal wounds.

Ghouls instead of Zombros (ideally Ghoul Patrol formation) would be great if you can fit it in. Vanhel's is great on Ghouls.

2 hours ago, Nico said:

A very solid list.

I'd go for Mannfred (on horse) instead of  Kemmler - same cost, but Mannfred's spell is better - healing 1 wound isn't going to make a huge difference to the Archai.

I'd take Harbingers for alpha strike over Archai (you don't need the can opener rend as the Spirits do that for you with their mortal wounds.

Ghouls instead of Zombros (ideally Ghoul Patrol formation) would be great if you can fit it in. Vanhel's is great on Ghouls.

I had a play around trying to get the ghouls + ghoul patrol in and I think it's just too expensive to sink 480pts into for battleline and without a Ghoul King the 4s/4s even with an extra attack just don't seem worth it. 

I like the Archai for being tougher if a bit slower than the Harbingers. The Archai have 4+/5++/5++ compared to the Harbinger having 4+/5++, I'll take the reliable save over the extra charge dice. Plus having a second can opener is going to be handy with the treelord and kurnoth hunter spam that will be arriving soon I think. 

Kemmler also adds in some extra magic defence as he can unbind 2 spells at +1 and as you realised bouncing wounds on the archai's 5++ rerollable on a 2+ then healing them is pretty trolltastic. 

2 minutes ago, Nico said:

You know that the Archai's own ward save only works against mortal wounds right. If they had a general ward save, they would be an auto-include.

Ah I haven't used them before but yeah good pick up. I misread that one, thanks. Still works decently well with shielding Kemmler though. 

Sorry for the double post but now we know how much a Mournghul costs I rewrote the list to include one. Basically dropped Kemmler and half the Morghast. Also changed them to Harbingers for the increased threat range. 

I guess the synergies are slightly less but... Mournghul!!!

The Spirit Bomb with Mournghul 2000

Allegiance - Death
Command Trait - Ruler of the Night
Artefact - Tomb Blade

Leaders -
Necromancer - 120pts

Battleline -
20 Zombies - 120pts
20 Zombies - 120pts
10 Zombies - 60pts

Units -
12 Spirit Host - 480pts
2 Morghast Harbinger - 240pts

Behemoth -
Mournghul - 400pts

Total: 1980/2000pts

Harbingers i feel are only worth bringing if your not gonna summon them. Think that's what makes them shine. Other than that i feel they can have a tough time making their points back otherwise.

Nico might disagree, but red fury could be better here. That vamp lord will blow some stuff up in no time with that, but the zombiers really need the ruler of the night to be worth having around.

You know. Hmmm if you dont mind bigger battle line units, i'd recommend skels in fatter unit. They use the vamp lord command ability a lot better than zombies. This keeps you from having to depend on the spirit bomb deal. I'd drop 3 spirits for it as melee heavy armies will almost always have to deal with the full force of the spirits, and getting 12 in will be tough. 

One problem i see is you dont have any anti charge protection so you might have a problem getting charged out by a maw crusher or something. Most destruction armies will be the ones picking who gets the charge and it could cause you trouble.

Nico might disagree, but red fury could be better here. That vamp lord will blow some stuff up in no time with that, but the zombiers really need the ruler of the night to be worth having around.

Check the latest FAQ, now Ruler of the night only works on the models within distance of the general (not all the heroes). This means that you will only have a 6+ ward on the Zombros, unless the VLoZD wants to babysit them.

Harbingers i feel are only worth bringing if your not gonna summon them. Think that's what makes them shine. Other than that i feel they can have a tough time making their points back otherwise.

Surely if you are going to summon them, since they are only unit that can be summoned and still make a charge most of the time.

The overall list looks really strong. I think most Death players will gravitate to the VLoZD unless going hard on the Flesh Eaters.

Okay put in some chaff dire wolves to charge block and had to rethink the battleline and switch to red fury now that ruler of the night got nerfed before it even got used. 

I went for the cursed book on the Ghast to combo with the Mournghul but the sword of unholy power might work too to summon the Mournghul on to their backline with the ghoul patrol. 

The Spirit Bomb with Mournghul and chaff 2000

Allegiance - Death
Command Trait - Red Fury
Artefact - Tomb Blade + Cursed Book

Leaders -
Crypt Ghast (Cursed Book) - 80pts 

Battleline -
20 Crypt Ghouls - 200pts
20 Crypt Ghouls - 200pts
10 Crypt Ghouls - 100pts

Units -
9 Spirit Host - 360pts
5 Dire Wolves - 60pts
5 Dire Wolves - 60pts

Behemoth -
Mournghul 400pts

Formation -
Ghoul Patrol 100pts

Total 2000pts

4 hours ago, Nico said:

Check the latest FAQ, now Ruler of the night only works on the models within distance of the general (not all the heroes). This means that you will only have a 6+ ward on the Zombros, unless the VLoZD wants to babysit them.

Surely if you are going to summon them, since they are only unit that can be summoned and still make a charge most of the time.

The overall list looks really strong. I think most Death players will gravitate to the VLoZD unless going hard on the Flesh Eaters.

I don't know zombies get there effectiveness doubled with a vamp Lord. Plus with her small model, wings, and ring of immortality, and chalice, she'll be a tough one to get rid of.

Also ruler of the knight applies to "units" not models. This matters as any model from the unit just has to be in range and the whole unit gets it. 

Archived