The Painting Contract - July 2018

Mohojoe

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Update: base colours done on Knight of Shrouds. I'm nervous about shades and highlights...

WhatsApp Image 2018-07-10 at 17.54.25.jpeg

Looking good, don’t worry the shades will add loads of depth to the bone and weapons. If you then invest the time to highlight you really get an excellent miniature!

I completed a pledge! Decided to work on Endrinriggers instead for my stretch goal. The KO models are so tiny that I want to practice more before I work on my heroes. They are such s challenge to paint. Each model is covered in detail! 

FB96521F-E34C-421C-82E7-88C19DAAB910.jpeg

734BFE2D-2780-474A-A867-A5C7C5813888.jpeg

1130EB23-F3B2-44AA-9BED-E808F81E9D66.jpeg

273B41E8-E78B-41BF-8DA2-A6E38B2D8D92.jpeg

11 hours ago, terrainguy said:

I really dig the wall! Mind sharing how you did it?

Absolutely!  I don't see any chance of anyone guessing these colors!  I occasionally pick up a model that doesn't have to match anything else and I just go wild.  This wall was one of them.

Objective 1:  No black.  I try to avoid painting anything solid black, but do use Nuln Oil a lot, and wanted to avoid it here.  

Objective 2: Natural quartz.  I have a vague idea what it looks like, but I didn't look it up... lol.  I know without a good polish, all the color is washed out and the edges are chalky.  That's how I approached this model.

Base Coat:

All metallics and pearls, anything I had in storage.  Some of these might be discontinued:

Martha Stewart:  Pure Platinum (white), Gold (yellow), Aquarium (blue)

Americana: Metallic Aquamarine (green)

DecoArt: Bronze (orange)

FolkArt:  Metallic Garnet Red

Step 1: paint the entire wall Pure Platinum

Step 2: paint every 8th surface or so Aquamarine

Step 3: Repeat with Gold and Aquarium

Step 4: Bronze and Garnet Red are much darker, so I put about half the number of these on the model

Wash:  Martha Stewart: Purple Yam

Drybrush:  Martha Stewart: Wild Salmon (the combined purple wash, orange drybrush gave me the washed out look I was going for)

Detail: Martha Stewart:  Wedding Cake (white)  (on this step I applied more white to corners than edges, for that natural look)

3 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I suck at highlighting.

@Kirjava13 I think the highlights look good! The skeleton bones seem well defined. The cloth looks like it will be a lot of work to fully highlight, would you get the best, quickest results from just doing some select edge highlighting? I think what you have so far is great. 

On 6/27/2018 at 3:02 PM, Charles said:

Hi team,

This months goal for me is to complete 3 Mighty Skullcrushers before going to Throne of Skulls on the 21st of July at Warhammer World.

My stretch goal is to do a Slaughter Priest as well!

Hey guys,

I have finished my core pledge, 3 Mighty Skull Crushers done!

I have also change my Stretch, instead of the slaughter priest I am painting 5 Flesh Hounds & Karanak. This is going to be really tight before the Throne of Skulls event, but I’ve made great progress so far. I chose not to do the Slaughter Priest because I have an identical model from White Dwarf (the first I painted) and I really want to go to town with this one to see how far I have progressed.

enjoy the pic

434D9D9C-7664-4C70-BEDD-98FAE7E91442.jpeg

8 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I suck at highlighting.

WP_20180712_18_35_38_Pro_LI.jpg

Dont be too hard on yourself. We saw the before picture. This is a vast improvement to the model. Might not be there where you want it yet... but that’s what practice is all about. You’ll get there. 

@Wars@Kramer thanks for the encouragement guys, really appreciate it. I maybe need to do another layer of Kabalite Green on his cowl highlights, then do another highlight of Sybarite Green on top, because it doesn't show up very well atm. And I have no idea what to do for all the Nighthaunt Gloom part- the fire at the base should be different, thinking of highlighting it up to white, while the rest gets highlighted up blue-grey... Not sure which colours to use though.

Looking for some feedback on my first Stormcast models. The Liberator is my test model and the Sequitor is the follow-up. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out but I'm also concerned about the time they took. I need to paint another 9 Sequitors to hit my pledge for this month. ? Any advice? I'm thinking maybe I skip the highlights and instead just concentrate on blocking in the colours and adding the wash.

IMG_20180713_111220.jpg

IMG_20180713_111119.jpg

46 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

@Wars@Kramer thanks for the encouragement guys, really appreciate it. I maybe need to do another layer of Kabalite Green on his cowl highlights, then do another highlight of Sybarite Green on top, because it doesn't show up very well atm. And I have no idea what to do for all the Nighthaunt Gloom part- the fire at the base should be different, thinking of highlighting it up to white, while the rest gets highlighted up blue-grey... Not sure which colours to use though.

@Kirjava13 When you say cowl, do you mean the robe / cloth attached to the helmet? What's the base colour? It looks blue-grey in the photo - what do you think about a highlight of something brighter like Ulthuan Grey rather than green?

10 hours ago, Wars said:

@Kirjava13 When you say cowl, do you mean the robe / cloth attached to the helmet? What's the base colour? It looks blue-grey in the photo - what do you think about a highlight of something brighter like Ulthuan Grey rather than green?

Yeah, the dark bit around his shoulders. I'm copying the colours from the battletome for this bit- it's Incubi Darkness base, Nuln Oil wash, Kabalite Green highlight, Sybarite Green extreme highlight.

2 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Yeah, the dark bit around his shoulders. I'm copying the colours from the battletome for this bit- it's Incubi Darkness base, Nuln Oil wash, Kabalite Green highlight, Sybarite Green extreme highlight.

I take back my comment about Ulthuan Grey then - yeah those colours are a good highlight progression. I think you are right about maybe just doing another layer of Kabalite Green before a thin highlight of Sybarite. With the Kabalite, have you considered doing a bit of blending - maybe use a mix of lahmian and Kabalite to gradually build up the colour? But again, honestly I think it looks good as is. 

Late pledge alert! Having just abandoned Tzeentch (has Tzeentch abandoned me I wonder...? ?) I've decided to drive hard towards table-ready Deepkin instead, keeping things as quick and simple as possible by relying on coloured primer, basecoats and washes for the most part.

Very happy with this test model for the time put in (just basecoats plus an all-over Coelia Greenshade wash on everything except the skin which got Nihilakh Oxide, both thinned with Lahmian, base is equally simple), let's see where I am in a couple of weeks!

WP_20180714_10_54_43_Pro (3).jpg

Just the final details and the base. Claws and spines need a little tickle haha. 

pixlr_20180714154343333.jpg.1c3beba38340dbd7c535382daa580ad5.jpg

Finished my dragonlord conversion. Found the original body online and it suits so much better than the high elf one. Sword of Judgement in hand! 

IMG_20180714_153406262.jpg.21c0fb7031e83dee725f71d1172fa153.jpg

Finally, about there with the Lord Ordinator conversion. Neither are the painting challenge, but were part of my overall hobby goals for the month. 

pixlr_20180714154533039.jpg

Progress update.

Stormcast part primed :) They already saw the field of battle :)

37131127_1942692839097947_53120773949268

In the meantime I got a Soul Wars box from my GF and I managed to lay my hands on the new Stormcast endless spells. So I still have a lot to assemble :D

Progress on the 30 Grimghast Reapers is going ahead - roughly to plan (though I would have liked to have been further forward).

DiLSw3WX4AEW5s8.jpg

Fairly happy with them so far.  Everything in the case has been assembled (and gaps/joins filled), undercoated, airbrushed and had the first purple wash applied.  I don't think I've been quite as solid with the white airbrushed layer as I have had with the Knight of Shrouds, but it's actually come out more purple than magenta which I prefer.  In the picture are 30 Grimghast Reapers, 10 Chainrasp, a Guardian of Souls and a Spirit Torment.  Left to finish filling are 4 Myrmourn Banshees and 2 Chainghast.

So what's my opinion on the Grimghast Reapers I hear you say?*  Slightly disappointed, I think sums it up.  Each box of 10 contains two sets of 5 models, so for a maxed out unit as I'm doing you've actually got 5 variants multiplied out 6 times (or one less if you factor in the chap with the bell).  The models themselves are really fiddly, lean forward from the base by a good 30mm and the scythes latch themselves onto the next model like Velcro.  Although not as bad as some models, they're also pretty fragile on the base (to compensate they are fairly lightweight).  I think playing with these are going to be a nightmare, removing models (both yours and your opponents) could well result in a horrible mess.

The models are also massive.  The ones with a raised scythe are taller than a spirit host and due to the way they lean forward, you can't tessellate them together very well - I'm currently having to look at purchasing a different case for transporting my army to Blackout :(

I managed to mess up the assembly of one it so grabbed one of the push fit's from Soul Wars - and found I actually preferred it.  The detail isn't quite as sharp, but the scythe is very secure and it uses a slotta base so it's rock solid on.  Gapping was roughly the same as the multipart, so I'm left questioning why these weren't released as push-fit when 50% of the rest of the range is.

DiLSzo7XcAAUIGq.jpg

Just to give you a rough idea, here's an example of one model after I've undercoated and airbrushed.  I used a grey undercoat, airbrushed black into the cowl (as I've not given them faces) and then airbrushed Ulthuan Grey onto the bit I'm doing purple.

* or not - you're getting my opinion whether you want it or not ;) 

Archived