AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So I have a ton of Wanderer units that I bought at the tail end of 8th edition and never got around to putting together.  It looks, however, like half the units are just gone now?  No Eagles, Glade Riders or Warhawks?

I can understand them dropping the metal only models, but Glade Riders were in plastic in the battalion boxes.  Am I missing something?

18 hours ago, TheKingInYellow said:

So I have a ton of Wanderer units that I bought at the tail end of 8th edition and never got around to putting together.  It looks, however, like half the units are just gone now?  No Eagles, Glade Riders or Warhawks?

I can understand them dropping the metal only models, but Glade Riders were in plastic in the battalion boxes.  Am I missing something?

I believe the discontinued the glade riders as they were too old. You can still use them as Shifthawk Agent Reavers which are better in AOS the glade riders. Eagles and Warhawks still exist in the compendium rules but lack the wanderer keyword.

4 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

I believe the discontinued the glade riders as they were too old. You can still use them as Shifthawk Agent Reavers which are better in AOS the glade riders. Eagles and Warhawks still exist in the compendium rules but lack the wanderer keyword.

Eagles and Warhawks have no points for matched play though.  Ugh.  Would it kill GW to throw a points value at them in the GHB?

23 hours ago, TheKingInYellow said:

They still have the profile on the app though so finding the old compendium points you will be able to play them (of course not competitively).

56 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Eagles and Warhawks have no points for matched play though.  Ugh.  Would it kill GW to throw a points value at them in the GHB?

Last page of the Wood elf compendium. All the points value you need, Eagles are 60 each Warhawks 40 each.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-wood-elves-en.pdf

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

Last page of the Wood elf compendium. All the points value you need, Eagles are 60 each Warhawks 40 each.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-wood-elves-en.pdf

Oh, I thought that if they weren't in the current GHB that you couldn't use them in Matched Play.  That's helpful then.

6 hours ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Oh, I thought that if they weren't in the current GHB that you couldn't use them in Matched Play.  That's helpful then.

The warscrolls are pretty terrible though. Waywatchers are the only exception. The hero... have no command abilities.... lots of other stuff is overpriced. The hounds are expensive dryads with less abilities but a min unit size of 1 that can possibly be slightly useable. The lords on eagle and stag have lots of wounds for their value and decent movement ofc and are certainly worth it and  I guess that the sisters of twilight might be somewhat useable ... but for all these models the problem is there isn't a real army to use them so while some models could be useable.... it would only be the case if they could be included as an ally choice in any army.

Edited by Aezeal

So i had a game last night, 2k using the waystone battalion

Played against mixed order army of

2 great cannons

2 rocket batteries

40 militia

10 militia

10 militia

Battlemage on hurricanum

Double hammer stormcast guy

General with standard

General on griffon

I had

2 waywatchers

Nomad prince

Spellweaver

Waystrider

20 glade guard

3x 10 sisters of the watch 

2x 5 wild riders

Lord arcanum on gryph charger.

We played with a roll of for first turn, then IGOUGO as that will be what will be played at a tournie coming up soon, with no endless spells or anything like that.

So i was given first turn and put 10 wounds on his general, and took out 3 of his warmachines (2 rockets and 1 cannon). He charged his general at my glade guard and his militia blob at some sisters and my waywatchers.

Second turn my glade guard shot jis general down thanks to the pathfinders battalion ability, i popped a waywatcher behind his lines and fell back with everything so i could shoot, you know, for fun.

Took out his last cannon and yeah eventually auto won the game thanks to objectives.

Im going to swap the lord arcanum for 10 more glade guard, and swap a unit of wild riders for sisters of the thorn, I wont get to use endless spells, so I'll just go single drop and see how i do

• Like 2

Arcane bodkins put the hurt on the general, so i would say thats average if you get the shots.

The warmachines was two waywatchers and 1 unit of sisters.

I dont think my dice were all that hot,  but i had the right targets and the first turn

43 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

10 wounds on general and killing 3 warmachines. ... did you have good dice or is that juat average?

4 minutes ago, adreal said:

Arcane bodkins put the hurt on the general, so i would say thats average if you get the shots.

The warmachines was two waywatchers and 1 unit of sisters.

I dont think my dice were all that hot,  but i had the right targets and the first turn

Also your opponent did not deploy very well right? I mean for your sisters and the GG to be in range it means he deployed basically on the 24" line without keeping in consideration that artillery normally shoot further away then some archers. 

Still, good job man. How did the new rules seem to you? Did you find it harder to play? 

2 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

Also your opponent did not deploy very well right? I mean for your sisters and the GG to be in range it means he deployed basically on the 24" line without keeping in consideration that artillery normally shoot further away then some archers. 

Still, good job man. How did the new rules seem to you? Did you find it harder to play? 

Maybe he realm wanderered next to them? Though it seems odd he didn't mass charge him then in his own turn.

We played the one with diagonal deployment and 18" no mans land.

Yeah the deployment of the artillery could have been better, which my opponent did admit, had he put them back further, i would have only had range with my eagle eyed waywatcher.

And yeah i used the realm wanderer setup from the battalion,  i did get counter charged, but due to not rolling off for turns (local competitive house rule),  i was under no risk of a double turn, had we rolled off, then i think i would have been over run if he had the double turn.

@Frozenbeast i really like the new rules, yes our alliegence ability got nerfed, but falling back and shooting,  combined with realm wandering not counting as moving is pretty strong (not top tier, but has teeth)

Edited by adreal
Missed a question
  • Like 1

I'm going to try sylvaneth first but I guess I might try a pathfinder army after that, My only fear is that an opponent who know what he's doing will just spread his army out very far so there is nowhere usefull to teleport too.

It's a shame we can't use the batallion ability in the turn we enter the table though.

Adreal: I was wondering how you rated the wayfinder and the arcanum (the rest of the army is mandatory so no need to ask about them). Will you use the wayfinder next time or just fit another waywatcher in? And the lord arcanum what did it bring that you liked, or will there be yet another waywatcher and maybe some more troops or endless spells? I can see another mage being usefull but and with endless spells another spellweaver might not be completely useless.. though maybe another mage might be a better idea (to bad branchwraiths need wyld woods for summoning else they'd be an autoinclude (well they'd be auto include in every possible army then I'd guess).

Played a game today in which I tested a unit of 20 Sisters of the Watch to maximize on only one unit using Realm Wanderers per turn and they were definitely my MVPs! The large unit size also helped me secure an objective late game, and I was able to garrison them in a dreadhold at one point as well which was great - garrisoning a unit is also "instead of making a normal move" so they got to shoot twice there as well. Used an emerald lifeswarm and the spellweaver's blessing of life to ensure they remained in good health. I find with the change to Realm Wanderers I have to think much more carefully about placement and deployment, which isn't necessarily a bad thing even if it is a significant nerf.

• Like 1

@Aezeal so the plan for the lord arcanium was to cast the pendulum first turn, right after we turned up, the t.o. said that mailign sorcery wont be used (which is fine, less i have to buy), so reqlly i just used his ride the winds ability to make sure my opponent knew i could take his objective. But due to the tournie ruleing, ill drop him for more glade guard.

The wayfinder battalion is really good for a alpha strike, which is how i like to play, so ill probably keep using it, but i would say, it gives us a handy shooting trick that can mess up a meta, but wont put us anywhere near top tier.

Wanderers are a fun army, with some cool tricks, but if its your only army, locally you will get countered hard (after a couple of games)

6 hours ago, adreal said:

@Aezeal so the plan for the lord arcanium was to cast the pendulum first turn, right after we turned up, the t.o. said that mailign sorcery wont be used (which is fine, less i have to buy), so reqlly i just used his ride the winds ability to make sure my opponent knew i could take his objective. But due to the tournie ruleing, ill drop him for more glade guard.

The wayfinder battalion is really good for a alpha strike, which is how i like to play, so ill probably keep using it, but i would say, it gives us a handy shooting trick that can mess up a meta, but wont put us anywhere near top tier.

Wanderers are a fun army, with some cool tricks, but if its your only army, locally you will get countered hard (after a couple of games)

I meant the waystrider hero, sorry.

Ah the waystrider.....honestly, he doesnt add much and if i had the model, i would swap him for another waywatcher.

But i personally dont believe in wanderers combat potential,  i like what the nomad prince brings to the table (in that i have to take him, so i gotta deal). He is atleast cheap and makes a good tag team partner with the nomad prince

On 7/15/2018 at 3:32 PM, adreal said:

Ah the waystrider.....honestly, he doesnt add much and if i had the model, i would swap him for another waywatcher.

Personnally I always consider the heroes to match certain units in the army, so the Waywatcher links with the Sister as the both do better when not moving. The Way finder "links" with the Glade guard as they both have strong alpha (and then are pretty useless). The Nomad Prince is tanky and can link with the Eternal guard behind the line with his 2" range. And the way strider I think goes well with Wildwood Rangers with the fast moving hard hitting strike, but melt after that.

However I haven't really take (or built yet) any wildwood rangers and the only time I found the Waystrider fulfilled his rule was in Duality of Death when he held the 2nd objective with a screen of Wild Riders for 2 turns while the rest of my army dug in at the first. I have now pretty much dropped him however.