AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

11 minutes ago, b.rody said:

I've had my start collecting for awhile, and I guess 2.0 is as good time as any to actually start building the army. 

With the vulkite berserkers, how are people building them? 

The Shields seem to good to pass up, also, is it just assumed that they all have the throwing ax? So pick, or hand ax? 

Thanks, and I look forward to exploring 2.0 with y'all. 

The shields are strong. Potential for mortal wounds on the charge and +1 save in combat is great. But don't underestimate the dual axes. Rerolling all hits, with how easy it is for us to get reroll wounds can force a lot of saves. I personally take a unit of each 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Bimli said:

can anyone point me in the right direction here i cant find where only a wizard can unbinde an endless spell

Anyone who can unbind can unbind endless spell, but only wizards can dispel them. They're 2 different mechanics. Dispelling means spending one of your casts to remove active endless spell from table.

Hi guys! Fellow stunty player ( KO).

Looking at doing Fyrslayers as my next army and was wondering what your guys opinions are on a good competitive list? As you can guess im more of a comp player.

Any advice or even lists would be greatly appreciated!

8 hours ago, angrycontra said:

Anyone who can unbind can unbind endless spell, but only wizards can dispel them. They're 2 different mechanics. Dispelling means spending one of your casts to remove active endless spell from table.

hmm I wonder if this will be faq'd if I understanding correcty a runelord can unbind it when initially cast but if it goes off is unable to dispel it? 

Ok, 3 matches in at 6 Nations. I won two (aganst Nagash and Slaanesh) and lost one against SCE ( Les Martin with his Stardrake list on the mission where I couldnt deepstrike). 

Fyreslayers are ok I think (in AOS2) on 3-4 scenarios but have problems with the other ones. So I am not sure how they will do at a two day tournament but on the right scenario they are still ace.

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Almace038 said:

What were your thoughts regarding the Vulkite weapon loadouts? I see you brought all of the different options. A friend of mine has just started playing the army and is looking to your success and insight for guidance.

It's just to be able to keep the units apart. ?

I would rate pick axes and shields as the best loadout but they are all ok in practice.

1 hour ago, Almace038 said:

What were your thoughts regarding the Vulkite weapon loadouts? I see you brought all of the different options. A friend of mine has just started playing the army and is looking to your success and insight for guidance.

Although pickaxes + shields are generally considered the better, axes are so much more reliable at actually hitting stuff, plus with nighthaunt released, rend isn't that great thing against them so having one unit of axes is pretty good imo.

I had a much tougher second day at 6 Nation, playing Nagash (again) and DoK. Both where close games with the last one probably came down to a turn roll. But both opponents played really good so it is what it is. I lost these ones.

But team Sweden played really good today so we came second overall only 20pt after England.

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 3:32 PM, b.rody said:

I've had my start collecting for awhile, and I guess 2.0 is as good time as any to actually start building the army. 

With the vulkite berserkers, how are people building them? 

The Shields seem to good to pass up, also, is it just assumed that they all have the throwing ax? So pick, or hand ax? 

Thanks, and I look forward to exploring 2.0 with y'all. 

Generally it's better to take shields if you plan on using smaller blocks of Vulkite, and double weapons if you're running a large block.  Since the save after save is so much better in big blocks you lose value on the shield saves.  If you are running shields, axes or picks is a hard choice. I guess that would depend on how much death you see playing against since the new nighthaunt can ignore rend for the most part. But someone ran the math and picks become the best when attacking things with a good save (like 3+) and you give them the runesmiter buff.

The shields Mortal wounds on charge did get a slight nerf that reinforces this aspect, since now you can only throw a shield on a charge if the model is within 8" of the unit you are throwing them at. Before you could charge and throw all 30 regardless of distance.  

So ymmv. 

• Thanks 1

Got my first couple games of 2nd ed and Fyreslayers in this weekend as part of an escalation league (750 points atm). Ran the following list:

Runefather

Battlesmith

Grimwrath Berzerker

Vulkite Berzerkerx20 with handaxes

Hearthguard Berzerkerx10 with flamestrike poleaxes

My initial thoughts:

Hearthguard Berzerkers were kinda lackluster. Not bad and they did a nice job against some Stormcast in one game but seem to really lack in offensive power. What are people's thoughts on them? I'm debating on running them with the broadaxes in 5s since I feel the Karl might be better with the damage 3 axe. Or just dropping them for more Vulkites.

The Grimwrath Berzerker was a surprise mvp in both games. Very good damage output and surprisingly tanky. Got him up to a 3+ save after the save at one point with the Battlesmith letting him reroll his 4+ save.  Haven't heard much about him but he did more than my 10man Hearthguard unit. Don't think I'll ever leave home without him again and am considering picking up a 2nd. That said, Fyreslayers' leader slots seem to  fill up very fast.

3 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Got my first couple games of 2nd ed and Fyreslayers in this weekend as part of an escalation league (750 points atm). Ran the following list:

Runefather

Battlesmith

Grimwrath Berzerker

Vulkite Berzerkerx20 with handaxes

Hearthguard Berzerkerx10 with flamestrike poleaxes

My initial thoughts:

Hearthguard Berzerkers were kinda lackluster. Not bad and they did a nice job against some Stormcast in one game but seem to really lack in offensive power. What are people's thoughts on them? I'm debating on running them with the broadaxes in 5s since I feel the Karl might be better with the damage 3 axe. Or just dropping them for more Vulkites.

The Grimwrath Berzerker was a surprise mvp in both games. Very good damage output and surprisingly tanky. Got him up to a 3+ save after the save at one point with the Battlesmith letting him reroll his 4+ save.  Haven't heard much about him but he did more than my 10man Hearthguard unit. Don't think I'll ever leave home without him again and am considering picking up a 2nd. That said, Fyreslayers' leader slots seem to  fill up very fast.

I agree the hearthguard bezerkers can feel a little underwhelming. They feel like they should be an elite unit but aren't. That said, having some fairly reliable mortal wounds is great, especially if you also have Lords of the lodge battallion which let's them attack twice. 

Interesting re Grimwrath. I love the model and want him to succeed, but I've always found him a disappointment. As you say, he's also more difficult to justify in bigger games as other heroes synergise with our big blobs whereas he's a lone wolf 

On 7/9/2018 at 9:06 AM, Ulfast said:

Congratulation to you Andreas and team Sweden! Great work.

Can you tell more about your games?

First game was againts Slaanesh on focal points. I though pre game that this was a very good match up. I basically said give me slaanesh and I buy you all a beer if I loose. My though was that he will hit me hard but I can take it and then he will melt. I took first turn and droped my reserves on the middle objective and told him to come at me, which he did. And after rolling hundreds of attacks and pile in twice I was pretty shaky. But I survived and when I hit back (with my shooting) ge melted away and I won the game. But I have to say his army was one of the coolest I have seen with all old metall slaanesh models, the cool ones.

The second game was againt Wales and Nagash on better part of valour. It was three types of armies I did not want to play, Nagash, Stardrakes and Dreadwoods mostly because I cant hurt them. So playing Nagash I toke one for the team, no one else wanted to play him. Anyway the opponent didnt play his best game here I think. He placed Nagash a bit to much forward so I could tunnel and kill him with my Aurics. I won that one.

The next game was againt a list I didn't want to play on a scenario I absolutly didn't want to play. Les Martins Stardrake list on total commitment where I can not tunnel. I felt that there was no way to win this and I played for a minor loss which I didn't get. We talk afterwards and maybe I could actualy have had a chance winning the game if I had played more aggressive. Next time. ? 

The next game was againt Nagash again. If you notice that I only get matchup I dont want it is because this was a list that we wanted to use to take matchups that other teammates didn't want to play since you can give most lists a game with fyreslayers while other lists we had were more matchup dependant. The scenario was focal points and I took the middle objective again wanting him to come at me. He did and the problem here was that when I fought back all my units had minus 3 to hit, minus one attacks and minus one damage...it was hard to do anything. ? Dread, Fading vigour, neferata and gemenids. But he still had to get me off the objectives so it was a fight but in the end he did and won.

Last game was againts a DoK army on better part of valour. This one is a bit harder to explain but in the end it came down to a turn roll that if I won I would have taken one objective from him and burned the one he threatened and vice versa and he got the roll and won. I didn't know pre game if DoK was a good or bad matchup, I hadnt played them. But now I can say it is probably a bad matchup. This game was close but I think he didn't really have the best possible list either.

All in all 5 great games against 5 great opponents. ?

And fyreslayers could hold there own in (most of) the games I played even if I in the end only won 2 of them.

Edited by Andreas

I was the other Fyreslayers player during the 6 Nations weekend. What I had during the event was Runeson on Magma, 2 Smiters, 2x30 Vulkites, 10 Vulkites, 30 Hearthguard, and 5 allied Evocators.

First game vs England was a Nurgle List on the Orb Mission. I got first turn and dropped one unit to the near side of where the orb can go, and charged the centre. Got tangled in the centre with some drones and heroes. The orb moved to where I had no bodies, but I dropped my second unit near it, charged some plague bearers and caught up on points. The orb moved to no mans land and it was his turn. He got a bunch of heroes with artifacts sitting on the objective, I moved what I could to the area (Evocators, Magma) and took out one of the heroes with the Evocators. His combat scored some wounds on the magma and on my strike back I scored only 1 wound... but it was enough to kill the hero, capture the objective and win the game in the dieing seconds. Easily one of my favourite games that I’ve ever played.

Second game was vs Scotland and a croak list. This list featured 12 ripperdactyls. Mission was Shifting Objectives. I dropped my units on the objectives and hoped to weather the storm as I had no way to get in at his heroes to take them out. He used his skinks to great effect to keep me pinned down away from his squishy important things. I got an early lead but then came the aerial bombardment. 12 Rippers came down and took out a full 30 guys in one swoop to claim the primary objective. I hit back but they teleported away to between the other two objectives, swooping in to my 10 man unit and Magmadroth. With my mother large unit pinned down I couldn’t get to support in time to make a difference. I ended up tieing up on points and then taking a minor loss on kill points. Some serious lessons take. Away here. This was the first time Evocators helped me out as they dispelled something at the right time.

Third Game was vs Wales and another Nurgle list; three GUOs. mission was Focal Points. He set up his army thinking I had 7 drops, but didn’t take account of the Runesmiters, so I took first turn and got Objective 4 and the centre. It was attrition vs attrition, and  even though he send down some drones to try shift me off objectives, I was too far ahead in points. Major win. If he had realised the set up, then this probably would have been much closer if not have gone in his favour. The dispell from the Evocators was crucial to block Rottigus’ spell. 

Fourth Game vs Northern Ireland - Death mixed. Focal Points again. Took the first turn, but should have gone second. Charged a line of cavalry. Got myself tangled in with -4 bravery bubble night haunt and battleshock did a lot to me. Silly error. He moved his skeletons forward and I tunneled and charged his VLOZD. That pinned him for a while but ultimately didn’t do much for me, he deleted pretty much all my units one at a time. Lesson learned here about hanging back was hard learned. The bravery bubble loss was really felt here as a big chunk of my losses came from battleshock. This a MAJOR major loss.

Last game was Versus Sweden, into Better Part of Valour against a Sylvaneth list. I knew this was going to be tough and I was right. My right hand objective had a block of 30 guys on it, opposite a load of dryads, centre with magma and 10 vulkites, left with Evocators. He had first turn, threw out some trees and got drycha down the table and straight into my 10 guys. Took them off straight away. My turn one had my Hearth Guard drop to assault opposite my left objective. That was ground down. Meanwhile drycha finished off my magma to claim my centre. I dropped my second unit to the same place and popped the super rend rune. The roll that sealed my fate... failed the charge, and on the reroll got the same result. When they eventually charged the next turn they just got mulched. With those guys down, there wasn’t any mathematical way to even play for the minor loss, so I conceded.

For me, there was some good take aways from the tournament- flat shoes aren’t a great choice for two days of standing up, a rework on my list is required, and as always... a few more examples of what not to do collected.

I’m looking at two possible lists at the moment...Either:

Option 1 - 3 Smiters, Runemaster, Fjul-Grimnir (G), Celestant Prime, Chosen Axes, 30 Heartguard, 20 Shield and Pick and 30 Double Ax Vulkites. Idea being that one Smiter gets Aqsy Iqneous Plate to go with Hearthguard for extra durability, and I drop the three units with tails back to General as his ability is with 8 not wholly within. 

Option 2 - Father on Magma, 2x Smiters, Battlesmith, Vulkites (2x30, 1x10) and Hearthguard (1x30). With the coronet on the runefather and Exemplar on the BattleSmith.

However, what both of these lack is a dispell, which I found extremely useful. I’m trying to focus on keeping the blobs alive longer, but that might be less useful than just focusing on aggression.

Welcome any feedback, and hopefully the above is useful to someone.

Thanks,

M

• Like 3

Hi guys, looking for some feedback on the below list ahead of a tournament in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions?

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Fjul-Grimnir (100)
- General
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
Auric Runemaster (80)
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (240)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (360)
- Pairs of Handaxes

Units
30 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)
- Poleaxes
3 x The Chosen Axes (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118
  • Like 1

Anyone tried out Lords of the Lodge? Runemaster is garbage for an 80 point tax on top of the battalion cost, but 30 strong block of Hearthguard Berserkers piling in twice each round is a lot of mortal wounds. 

Also, anyone looked at allying in some Evocators on Dracolines? 300 points is steep, but they pump out a lot of mortal wounds for their trouble, add a dispel/unbind, and have a -1 bravery aura that can stack with Runefather's Staredown and Runeson's Volcanic Fury. 

30 minutes ago, Apologetic Canadian said:

I keep seeing mention of the Vulkite "horde" rule no longer being  thing. I've looked online and I'm unsure what exactly has changed, or rather, what  the "Vulkite horde rule" is actually referring to. Did they remove Berserk Fury from Vulkites?

It means they no longer get the hoard points discount for 30 models. Their rules haven’t changed.

Well it looks like in most recent faq gw reverted the whole "you can use this command ability if this model is your general" with all fyreslayer command abilities. But runeson on foot c.ability is now wound re-rolls of 1 for all friendly fyreslayers wholly within its range rather than giving full wound rerolls against 3+ wound models.

Edited by angrycontra
  • Like 1