AoS 2 - Free Peoples Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hi everybody! I’m a new freeguild player and I would know some advices to start with this faction. What are the must have units for 1000 points army?

Are there any good combos with the old steam tank? I fell in love with it since it was realesed but I never use it ?

Thank you 

Edited by Sword&ShieldG1

3 hours ago, Sword&ShieldG1 said:

Hi everybody! I’m a new freeguild player and I would know some advices to start with this faction. What are the must have units for 1000 points army?

Are there any good combos with the old steam tank? I fell in love with it since it was realesed but I never use it ?

Thank you 

My understanding of the Steam Tank is that it is underwhelming (?) but awesome looking! However I'm new to Freeguild too so what do I know! 

I'll tell you what I know! I know that my FLGS has an old metal Steam Tank for sale and it weighs roughly as much as a 1970 AMC Gremlin, only denser. So here's a combo I came up with.

Steam Tank + sock to protect your home from burglars. ?

• Haha 1

Heyho, does any of you own demigryhs and gryph chargers? I'm planning on unsing the latter to convert Demigryph Knights, but I'm not sure how they compare size-wise. The Gryph Chargers look to be slightly bigger, but I'd like to make sure before commiting to a purchase.

Thanks a lot!

17 hours ago, CaptainNippon said:

Heyho, does any of you own demigryhs and gryph chargers? I'm planning on unsing the latter to convert Demigryph Knights, but I'm not sure how they compare size-wise. The Gryph Chargers look to be slightly bigger, but I'd like to make sure before commiting to a purchase.

Thanks a lot!

I have both, and the gryph chargers are bigger, say 30% more because of stylized stances. The riders are also bigger. As long as you find lances, halberds, and shields for them, they should work.

I converted mine to have outrider heads, and they look quite good. Scale fits and everything.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jamopower said:

Does the Hold the line prevent the units from piling in? I somehow remember that it used to be so that "pile in move" and "move"  were different things, but apparently it's not like that any more as the rules specify "move" to be any kind of move and "normal move" to be the one you do on your movement phase. Don't get me wrong, it's much clearer this way, but it does make the command ability a bit worse. 

In the last edition it was a definitive no. You can pile in, drummer counter charge, and great company charge.

IT says "they cannot move or charge during YOUR turn." And counter charges and great co charges are in opponents phase. 

Since pile in is not mentioned, it was played as being accepted.

3 hours ago, Cerlin said:

I have both, and the gryph chargers are bigger, say 30% more because of stylized stances. The riders are also bigger. As long as you find lances, halberds, and shields for them, they should work.

I converted mine to have outrider heads, and they look quite good. Scale fits and everything.

I don't suppose you have pictures?

4 hours ago, Cerlin said:

That is good to know, thank you! Would you mind posting a photo when you have the chance?

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:25 PM, Kamose said:

My understanding of the Steam Tank is that it is underwhelming (?) but awesome looking! However I'm new to Freeguild too so what do I know! 

I'll tell you what I know! I know that my FLGS has an old metal Steam Tank for sale and it weighs roughly as much as a 1970 AMC Gremlin, only denser. So here's a combo I came up with.

Steam Tank + sock to protect your home from burglars. ?

Underwhelming? Poppycock, it's just a little bit unreliable ;)

I found the steamtank to be quite fun the one game I've used it so far, it can make a nice distraction but if left alone then with the more steam ability and getting all its guns in range it can be a monster! Only issue is the cannon is somewhat unreliable, can be mitigated by having a lord ordinator attempt to keep up for the extra +1 to hit bubble. The long range of the cannon is nice at least and it doesn't count against your warmachine slots as its only a behemoth. It's definitely useable I think, just rely more on things like your steam gun than your cannon, but you do kind of need more steam activated to really get it going as rerolling those randomised movement and steam gun attack stats is very useful!

If you wanted big guns then cannon crews and an engineer would be better, but if you want purely human then 2 helstorm rocket batteries fit snugly into your allies list and don't need an engineer. (though if you run mixed order than a lord ordinator is nice with like 4 of them for the +1 to hit, aka 3 shots each hitting on 3's if you don't split each rocket batteries attacks. They do d6 damage per shot so that's up to 4 units a turn who are weeping like babies... though it will eat a lot of points and not leave you with many friends XD make sure you deploy behind cover to make use of not needing line of sight!

I do feel freeguild can benefit a lot from ironweld or the battlemages, just a shame both compete heavily for your allies slot unless you run mixed order as they complement the freeguild so well! Here's hoping they'll get combined (along with devoted of sigmar) again sometime. 

On 7/10/2018 at 12:31 AM, CaptainNippon said:

Thanks a lot!

I have done exactly this. The size difference isn't really that bad, and regular Empire knights only need a few snips on their legs to make them fit on the saddles and some greenstuff to make the reins line up with their hands. I only have this image so far:

C9IwGgl.jpg?1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What does everyone think of magic in this addition? Is it going to be necessary to take wizards? There is no way tournaments are going to use realm rules. They vary to game TOO much.  I am not really a fan of magic with my Free People army. I like the powder and man power feel. But you have to adapt to survive. Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, SilverJelly said:

What does everyone think of magic in this addition? Is it going to be necessary to take wizards? There is no way tournaments are going to use realm rules. They vary to game TOO much.  I am not really a fan of magic with my Free People army. I like the powder and man power feel. But you have to adapt to survive. Thoughts?

IMO I feel that AoS 2.0 is similar to WFB 8th. Some magic defense is almost necessary compared to none (although at least its not like 8th edition where 90% of all armies had a lvl 4 wizard and a BSB).

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 9:24 AM, divineauthority said:

I'd guess this is because shooting twice could target 2 different units and they didn't want it to work that way?

The core rules state pretty clearly though that an attacking unit can target multiple units with the same set of weapons

On 7/11/2018 at 1:32 AM, Cerlin said:

In the last edition it was a definitive no. You can pile in, drummer counter charge, and great company charge.

IT says "they cannot move or charge during YOUR turn." And counter charges and great co charges are in opponents phase. 

Since pile in is not mentioned, it was played as being accepted.

That's not  true. A pile in is a type of move and hence cannot be done during your turn with Hold the Line (the last FAQ had a table defining types of moves, while in the new rules you can find information about Moves under the 'Normal move' special rule which dictates the 3 types of move). It does not say they cannot perform a Normal Move and while it's a little confusing they specify charges directly, a move is any type of move being performed.

It's one part of what makes Hold the Line less effective on combat units. Not only do you already have to be stuck into the combat, but you already have to have a fair few of them in combat for it to be effective. That being said, you're either using it pro-actively (i.e expecting a charge), or defensively (already received a charge). In either case, you either have your opponents next turn or prior turn to pile-in.

However, with the changes to command abilities and command points the Griffon Generals Rousing Battle Cry ability is actually quite useful, and I could see it being used more on turns where you need to be more pro-active with your combats. It gives a bit of an incentive to not play so statically.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

That's not  true. A pile in is a type of move and hence cannot be done during your turn with Hold the Line (the last FAQ had a table defining types of moves, while in the new rules you can find information about Moves under the 'Normal move' special rule which dictates the 3 types of move). It does not say they cannot perform a Normal Move and while it's a little confusing they specify charges directly, a move is any type of move being performed.

It's one part of what makes Hold the Line less effective on combat units. Not only do you already have to be stuck into the combat, but you already have to have a fair few of them in combat for it to be effective. That being said, you're either using it pro-actively (i.e expecting a charge), or defensively (already received a charge). In either case, you either have your opponents next turn or prior turn to pile-in.

However, with the changes to command abilities and command points the Griffon Generals Rousing Battle Cry ability is actually quite useful, and I could see it being used more on turns where you need to be more pro-active with your combats. It gives a bit of an incentive to not play so statically.

If true, it definitely feels clunky and an oversight in the transition to 2.0- hopefully faqd and reworded . I feel the spirit of the rule is can’t charge or move but can pile in. Obviously a discussion to be had with the opponent.

Meta is still new. It seems like magic is a must. What are everyones thoughts on Free People Allegiance with: 

General on Horse 100

General on Griffin 240

Great Company:

20 Guard 160

20 Greatswords 240

30 Handgunners 300

D Knights 140

30 Handgunners 300

Hurricanum 380

GC to hold objective and G on Griffin, Hurricanum, Handgunners and D Kights to attack opponent. 

5 hours ago, SilverJelly said:

Is this the correct representation of wholly within 12in?

image.jpg

Picture is not to scale....

Yeah absolutely. Imagine a 12 inch radius from the exterior of each unit. You can get pretty creative with it :)

This is the bit I get confused with when it comes to wholly within as it seems 99% of the time it's a unit wholly within x inches of a model and that's nice and simple. When it's 2 units wholly within x of each other, does that mean that each model of unit A needs to be wholly within each model of unit B? Or as per the example above, unit B needs to be wholly within just one model of unit A and all of unit A wholly within one model of unit B? Bit awkward to explain but hopefully the below diagrams will help.

Example.png

1 minute ago, divineauthority said:

This is the bit I get confused with when it comes to wholly within as it seems 99% of the time it's a unit wholly within x inches of a model and that's nice and simple. When it's 2 units wholly within x of each other, does that mean that each model of unit A needs to be wholly within each model of unit B? Or as per the example above, unit B needs to be wholly within just one model of unit A and all of unit A wholly within one model of unit B? Bit awkward to explain but hopefully the below diagrams will help.

Example.png

It’s unit to unit. Option B! Wholly within x inches of the unit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Creezy said:

It’s unit to unit. Option B! Wholly within x inches of the unit.

Thanks! That makes the changes to Free Peoples a lot less restrictive than I feared. Somebody either here or on the Facebook was talking about carrying a 12" plate around to ensure all their units sat under it. Option B makes more sense because if you take 30 guard, 30 handgunners and 30 crossbows for example in Option A, trying to fit them into a 12" bubble would be a nightmare! Optino B still restricts things compared to before but it's a lot more manageable.

1 minute ago, divineauthority said:

Thanks! That makes the changes to Free Peoples a lot less restrictive than I feared. Somebody either here or on the Facebook was talking about carrying a 12" plate around to ensure all their units sat under it. Option B makes more sense because if you take 30 guard, 30 handgunners and 30 crossbows for example in Option A, trying to fit them into a 12" bubble would be a nightmare! Optino B still restricts things compared to before but it's a lot more manageable.

Super maneagable,  pretty sure it’s just designed to stop the daisy chains, which i hated anyway. And more thematic!

• Like 1

Hello guys. 

Can you spare a word about secondary heroes for FP? The list is almost General - Griff General - 2 Hellstorms - 20 Guards - 20 Handguns - 20 Crossbows - 5 Archers. 

For now, I'm 99% on adding 2 wizards - beast and life...

And what are the best options to bring MORE artefacts for the FP? 

Thanks )