AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Forgive me, but I'm not 100% familiar with the way endless spells yet. So if it is unbinded can you actually cast it again for free?

Unbinding and dispelling are different things.

An endless spell can be unbound by an opposing wizard (or character able to unbind like a wizard like a Runelord or Mighty Lord of Khorne) when it's cast like any other spell. A wizard can choose to try and dispel an endless spell still on the battlefield and within 30" at the start of their hero phase by rolling higher than it's casting value on a 2D6 to do so, but must give up casting a spell that hero phase in order to attempt a dispel.

If you've got an endless spell (and have paid the points for it in matched play) and it has been dispelled and removed from the battlefield in your opponent's turn, you can choose to cast it again in your next turn. :) 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Skinnyboy said:

Lets say a build a list and it has a lord arcanum, a knight incantor and the celestine vortex (hammer tornado) and the comet. I pay 40 pts for the vortex and 100pts for the comet and all my wizards know both those spells in addition to any others they know. Turn 1 my lord arcanum can cast comet, if it fails to go off thats it for the turn. The incantor is not allowed to attempt to cast comet. She can however attempt to cast any other spell or other endless spell she knows.

T2 my lord arcanum successfully casts comet. The incantor can cast any other spell or endless spell she knows. She is not allowed to cast comet.

T3 the comet is still around. None of my wizards are allowed to cast comet as you can only have one of each endless spell in play per player at a time.

T4 my opponent elects to dispell comet by forgoing a casting attempt on one of their wizards. If they beat the minimum casting value the comet goes away. On my next turn I am free to cast the comet again.

T5 lets say the comet is in play and its the beginning of my turn, i can elect to dispell it with my knight incantor, needing to give up a casting attempt and meeting the role. If i make the roll i can remove it and attempt to cast it again with the lord arcanum. Lets say the lord arcanum meets the casting roll but my opponent is able to unbind then the spell does not go off. I am allowed to attempt the casting again in any subsequent turns.

The 100pts buys you the spell which can be cast any number of times during the game, provided a comet does not exist on the table. Your opponent can unbind when the spell is being cast or dispell and already existing endless spell in their own hero phase by giving up a casting attempt.

Much appreciated! Yeah, the comet might be an auto include for me now :)

20 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

So one question that i've just had come up, if I purchase and endless spell (or if i'm playing in a realm, using realm spells, etc) can evocators cast those other spells?

Evocators can only cast Empower as per their warscroll.

26 minutes ago, Turragor said:

/Edit/ I'm not sure what is new and what is not, ppl can look at all the updates themselves :)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

Almost all is new, other than the last 3 (Shadespire, Pitched Battle Profiles, and Silver Tower).

Obviously most of this doesn't affect us, other than the Core Rules Designer Commentary. 

7 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Anyone else thinking a triple Lord Arcanum on mount list? Would be amazeballs. Though actually that Arcane Bolt ability would be wasted with rule of one. 

Eh, with the current Cycle of the Storm interpretation, I don't think I'd take more than one, to be honest.

8 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Also confirmed using non-matching colours is considered proxying?

My Narrative states that while my army wears the regalia of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer, my General is a shrewd tactician who will use the strategies of any other Stormhost if it makes sense for the mission that they are sent upon. 

Don't tread on my Narrative, bro.

1 minute ago, Kadanga said:

No TO is going to enforce colors in any way. 

Most events allow Proxies if they are good conversions, so it'll be about the same - Clear with TO before going.

• Like 2

The FAQ states any set-up abilities that "count as their move for the movement phase (or words to that effect)" restrict the unit from moving later, but don't count as having moved.

If rules don't change in the new Battletome, units coming from pursuit (Astral Compass, Azurite Hurricane) or from Scions can shoot as if stationary. Hello 140 points alpha-striking Hurricane Raptors!

Just now, DanielFM said:

The FAQ states any set-up abilities that "count as their move for the movement phase (or words to that effect)" restrict the unit from moving later, but don't count as having moved.

If rules don't change in the new Battletome, units coming from pursuit (Astral Compass, Azurite Hurricane) or from Scions can shoot as if stationary. Hello 140 points alpha-striking Hurricane Raptors!

This is exactly how I was already playing it, but it's good to get official confirmation

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

This is exactly how I was already playing it, but it's good to get official confirmation

Lightning Chariot and Pennant of the Stormbringer were already like that, as they didn't include these kind of clauses, which now have been clarified.

But good news for us anyway!

I'll echo what @Requizen and others have said.  At 100 points the comet is bonkers.  I'll unequivocally say it's the best endless spell thus far.  Dispelling it is going to be a really tough choice for your opponent since it's so devastating when it hits.  

Just think of how dumb and fun it would be to have a comet, a stardrake and a celestant prime in one list.  So horrifying for heroes that don't have a boatload of wounds.  I am excited to try really goofy elite and monster lists.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I'll echo what @Requizen and others have said.  At 100 points the comet is bonkers.  I'll unequivocally say it's the best endless spell thus far.  Dispelling it is going to be a really tough choice for your opponent since it's so devastating when it hits.  

Just think of how dumb and fun it would be to have a comet, a stardrake and a celestant prime in one list.  So horrifying for heroes that don't have a boatload of wounds.  I am excited to try really goofy elite and monster lists.  

I don't even think the Prime is necessary (though he might change in a week), I might try Comet, Dragon, Heraldor x2. Maybe a Meteoric Standard Vexillor. 

3 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I don't even think the Prime is necessary (though he might change in a week), I might try Comet, Dragon, Heraldor x2. Maybe a Meteoric Standard Vexillor. 

The list isn't about being necessary, it's about fun!  Dragon, arcanum+comet, prime, heraldor x2, vexillor.  That'll put a hole in your opponent's army big enough to drive a Maw-krusha through!  And for a mere 1400 points.  Throw in 20 sequitors and two units of libs and you've got 2k.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Apparently from WHLive

If I remember correctly nighthaunt can deepstrike until turn 4 (unit is slain if not set up before) 

Found this on the Nighthaunt forum

Allegiance Abilities (from WHLive)

-1 bravery to units within 6” of a Nighthaunt unit

6+ ignore wounds for a unit wholly within 12” of a hero

Half of your units can be in the underworld. Auto arrive, but must arrive by turn 4

10”+ unmodified charge - immediately attack (and can then attack again later)

New Command Ability for General. Remove a unit and set it up within 12” of general / more than 9” from enemy.

Edited by Jaepic
Extra info