AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 7/14/2018 at 7:48 PM, Richelieu said:

Most people would be OK with that, but in a tournament it would usually be prohibited.

how different are they from each other, the crossbows look very simiular. Anyway people probablly won't mind it much, she won't play tournaments, and crossbow judas aren't world breaking good.

Thanks everyone for the help.

13 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

how different are they from each other, the crossbows look very simiular. Anyway people probablly won't mind it much, she won't play tournaments, and crossbow judas aren't world breaking good.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Been messing around with 2 units of crossbow juds and 2 units of hurricane crossbow raptors. it's a very effective "horde killer" to drop on someone, but only if they are allowed to "rapid fire" as soon as they land, which I still feel is kind of up int he air... RAW-wise, they definitely can do it, but I could see an FAQ putting a stop to it...

You are spot on with your assessment that they are good, but not world breaking. They are fun to drop on people, but that's about the extint of their power. it's nothing like dropping evocators with Gavriel first turn and getting a 6"+ to charge...

54 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

Been messing around with 2 units of crossbow juds and 2 units of hurricane crossbow raptors. it's a very effective "horde killer" to drop on someone, but only if they are allowed to "rapid fire" as soon as they land, which I still feel is kind of up int he air... RAW-wise, they definitely can do it, but I could see an FAQ putting a stop to it...

You are spot on with your assessment that they are good, but not world breaking. They are fun to drop on people, but that's about the extint of their power. it's nothing like dropping evocators with Gavriel first turn and getting a 6"+ to charge...

You must've missed the 6/29 FAQ.  Top right of page 3.  Setups that say it counts as move don't count as having moved for the purposes of any other rules.  It simply restricts them from moving.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

You must've missed the 6/29 FAQ.  Top right of page 3.  Setups that say it counts as move don't count as having moved for the purposes of any other rules.  It simply restricts them from moving.

I do feel it's pretty solid case, but the FAQ doesn't list them specifically, which I would feel better if it did. I've tried dropping and using rapid fire one game so far, and it pretty much blows at least one unit completely away in a single turn, which I admit is pretty fun. You have to pick a good target though because they are really bad at taking damage, and if your target has a 3+ save or better they can't seem to convert enough wounds.  :( Their best use seems to be picking a really big unit of little guys with bad saves.

7 hours ago, Shinzra said:

For me I have not played with Stormcast yet so it's all new :)

Oh sorry, it really felt like a AoS1 list. 

I would recomend the Drakesworn instead of the LCoSD. He won't be unkillable, sure, but he has a really good buff for Fulminators (better than LCoSD), +1 to bravery in a decent range (currently very useful against Nighthaunt or DoK) and is a nice 100 points cheaper. 

Liberators have completely been made obsolete by Sequitors. I understand they are here because you need the LCOSD as the general for Staunch Defender. But the opportunity cost of doing so is currently huge. No Sequitors, no good CA from Stormhosts...

5 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

I do feel it's pretty solid case, but the FAQ doesn't list them specifically, which I would feel better if it did. I've tried dropping and using rapid fire one game so far, and it pretty much blows at least one unit completely away in a single turn, which I admit is pretty fun. You have to pick a good target though because they are really bad at taking damage, and if your target has a 3+ save or better they can't seem to convert enough wounds.  :( Their best use seems to be picking a really big unit of little guys with bad saves.

Do you really expect each specific unit to be mentioned in a FAQ answer?

If the wording explains exactly their case, they are included. I don't think you should feel bad about it.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:18 PM, vondrasky said:

I everyone i have a quick question, give that i have the following army :

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
Lord-Relictor (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
10 x Retributors (440)
5 x Retributors (220)
6 x Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers (200)
- 2x Grandaxes

Total: 1760 / 2000

What are the warscroll batallions you suggest me ? My main idea was to use Hammerstrike Force, but it did change quite a bit, so i'm looking into get new ones and also see which stormhost is more useful for this army, i think hammers of sigmar allows me to bring back tons of liberators which i do have a lot. Thanks for your help!

Your army is not dis-similar from mine except lucky for you youve gone Hammers of Sigmar! 

If I were you I would add Lord Gavriel Sureheart to ensure the big retribution unit makes its charge and maybe put all 15 retributors into a single unit 

I would blob up all the liberators into a single 30 man unit saving you 80 points

I would then drop 3 prosecutors and add 2 x judicators

Going to tournament in two weeks. I dont have Battletome yet so no idea about artefacts etc. Feel free to point me right direction.

So, here's the list, C&C are welcome. We are playing 1500p with 2000p restrictions.

LEADERS
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)
UNITS
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
10 x Sequitors (240)
-Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
10 x Skinks (60)
-Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
- Allies
WAR MACHINES
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
TOTAL: 1500/1500 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 88
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 3/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 60/400

Hey all! 

I've got a 1000 point event coming up soon and I'd like to try out SCE at it.

Never played them before, so looking for help building a decent list!

The only must haves in the army are a Lord-Ordinator and 2 Ballistas. 

Thinking Anvils of the Heldenhammer for the Stormhost, to get an extra shot out of one of the Ballistas each turn.

Other than that, there's 660 points available to play with.

So what would you take? Judicators or Liberators? Squeeze in a Lord-Arcanum to unlock the Sequitors as Battleline? 

One of my main concerns is the lack of boots on the ground at 1k.

Looking forward to hearing peoples inputs!

Came up with this list, in reply to DanielFM,  I think the tax of the Arcanum for Sequitors (Who I admit are better than liberators), can eat up a good ammount of points, and liberators just need to hold the line really, which I reckon for 100pts per 5 they are pretty good at.

+++ Stormcast Eternals (Age of Sigmar) [1960pts] +++

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Stormcast Eternals) ++

+ Leader +

Knight-Incantor

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake: General

+ Battleline +

Liberators: 2x 5 Liberators, 2x Grandhammer, Warhammer and Shield

Liberators: 5 Liberators, Grandhammer, Warhammer and Shield

+ Other +

6x  Vanguard-Palladors, Starstrike Javelin

6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

24 minutes ago, Shinzra said:

Came up with this list, in reply to DanielFM,  I think the tax of the Arcanum for Sequitors (Who I admit are better than liberators), can eat up a good ammount of points, and liberators just need to hold the line really, which I reckon for 100pts per 5 they are pretty good at.

+ Leader +

Knight-Incantor

+ Battleline +

+ Other +

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance

+ Game Options +

A lot better!

But, what you mean by 2x5 Liberators? Are they 10? I still see too many of them, they are a deadweight IMHO. 5 of them to hold a objective are ok for 100 points, but more seems too much.

I would change them for 5+5 and 5 Judicators, and use those 140 points elsewhere.

You have 40 points left, enough for an Endless Spell. Take advantage of it! ;) (Together with the other 140 points you could even get 3 more Longstrikes!)

31 minutes ago, Shinzra said:

+ Leader +

Knight-Incantor

+ Battleline +

+ Other +

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance

+ Game Options +

I don't really understand what this list hopes to accomplish.  LCoSD really isn't worth it over the drakesworn anymore unless you are going for an invincible build, in which case you need a Lord Castellant.  

You don't really have anything in the list that does much of anything.  A unit of six longstrikes will only do incidental damage over the course of a game.  6 palladors will get somewhere fast and do good work against a high value target, but are easily dropped as soon as your opponent can counterattack.  And stardrakes are notoriously pillowfisted.  

Whenever I build a list the question I ask myself is: how am I going to win?  Is it through attrition?  Annihilation? Speed to objectives? Defending objectives? Stopping my opponent from reaching objectives?  

Why one unit of 6 Long strikes when 2 units of 3 can cover objectives more effectively while doing the same amount of damage?  

I don't mean to be harsh, I just want to provide feedback that will help you build a stronger list.

3 hours ago, eduboy said:

Going to tournament in two weeks. I dont have Battletome yet so no idea about artefacts etc. Feel free to point me right direction.

So, here's the list, C&C are welcome. We are playing 1500p with 2000p restrictions.

LEADERS
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)
UNITS
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
10 x Sequitors (240)
-Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
10 x Skinks (60)
-Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
- Allies
WAR MACHINES
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
TOTAL: 1500/1500 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 88
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 3/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 60/400

Are you going to take a Stormhost or just run generic? You have no artifcat or command trait.

I don't see the point of the Cogs unless it is meant to get your Sequitors into something?

I would switch out the Cogs and Skinks for a Knight-Ayrzos to reroll 1s for all your shooting. Your block of Sequitors won't use that but the Judicators and Ballistas will. You are going to have to use your Judicators to protect your Ballista though. 

2 hours ago, Korvak said:

Hey all! 

I've got a 1000 point event coming up soon and I'd like to try out SCE at it.

Never played them before, so looking for help building a decent list!

The only must haves in the army are a Lord-Ordinator and 2 Ballistas. 

Thinking Anvils of the Heldenhammer for the Stormhost, to get an extra shot out of one of the Ballistas each turn.

Other than that, there's 660 points available to play with.

So what would you take? Judicators or Liberators? Squeeze in a Lord-Arcanum to unlock the Sequitors as Battleline? 

One of my main concerns is the lack of boots on the ground at 1k.

Looking forward to hearing peoples inputs!

You won't get away from lack of boots on the ground at 1k. Not with Stormcast.

For myself, having not really played stormcast (Did not play them in aos 1), any feedback good or bad is appreciated and constructive :).

I like the idea of a invincible elite type list, maybe this would work better, I have 320pts left to play with any suggestions?, Maybe 2 units of judicators which seem decent.

Also not sure whether a stormhost would be good choice.

+++ Stormcast DragonStar (Age of Sigmar) [1680pts] +++

+ Leader +

Lord-Castellant

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake: 2. Keen-clawed, General

+ Battleline +

Liberators: 5 Liberators, Grandhammer, Warhammer and Shield (Prime Grandhammer)

Liberators: 5 Liberators, Grandhammer, Warhammer and Shield (Prime Grandhammer)

+ Other +

Fulminators: 2 Fulminators

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

+ Game Options +

Edited by Shinzra

17 minutes ago, Shinzra said:

For myself, having not really played stormcast (Did not play them in aos 1), any feedback good or bad is appreciated and constructive :).

I like the idea of a invincible elite type list, maybe this would work better, I have 320pts left to play with any suggestions?, Maybe 2 units of judicators which seem decent.

Also not sure whether a stormhost would be good choice.

+++ Stormcast DragonStar (Age of Sigmar) [1680pts] +++

+ Leader +

Lord-Castellant

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake: 2. Keen-clawed, General

+ Battleline +

Liberators: 5 Liberators, Grandhammer, Warhammer and Shield (Prime Grandhammer)

+ Other +

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

+ Game Options +

This is at its heart, what is known as the Les Martin TM list.  

Star Drake, Castellant and fulminators.  His list also includes a knight heraldor, which is even better now than it was previously.  It allows the incredibly important unit of four fulminators to not get locked in tarpits by your opponent and always take advantage of their 3 damage on the charge.  

At least one unit of judicators is typically used instead of a unit of liberators because of its ability to babysit an objective, fulfill a battle line requirement, and still contribute damage to distant fights.

1 hour ago, Madra101 said:

Azyros gives re-rolls 1 to friendly units in shooting and melee now so is much more useful now.

Yeah. That is why I mentioned it. His list has LAoGC though so it potentially won't see any use because of the command ability. It also won't help the Judicators if you are facing a Chaos list but at a 100 pts it is pretty solid in any list now.

5 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Do the old units and new units (sacrosaints? new SCE AoS 2...) mix well in a 2K list?

Yes very much so. Both the Sequitors and Evocators are going to be very strong. You will probably see a bunch of Ballista/Ordinator lists as well.

Is there anything that makes Retributors good? I have both Retributors and Evocators and the latter just seem better in every way (cheaper, more attacks, move faster, are braver, are wizards, etc.). I like both types of model, but I feel like I must be missing something.

3 minutes ago, Requete said:

Is there anything that makes Retributors good? I have both Retributors and Evocators and the latter just seem better in every way (cheaper, more attacks, move faster, are braver, are wizards, etc.). I like both types of model, but I feel like I must be missing something.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

So I had a ton of success in 1st edition with this list:

Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- Celestine Hammer
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
4 x Fulminators (480)
2 x Tempestors (220)

Total: 1980 / 2000 (points are actually unchanged from last edition)

But between the increased importance of magic (and the need to stop it), changes that seem to me to make the star drake less worthwhile, and especially the changes to Tempestors (only effects missile weapons, enemy can just move away before shooting, there are much cheaper and more efficient debuff options), I am thinking about redoing the list into something like this:

Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
4 x Fulminators (480)
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000

12 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

So I had a ton of success in 1st edition with this list:

Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- Celestine Hammer
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
4 x Fulminators (480)
2 x Tempestors (220)

Total: 1980 / 2000 (points are actually unchanged from last edition)

But between the increased importance of magic (and the need to stop it), changes that seem to me to make the star drake less worthwhile, and especially the changes to Tempestors (only effects missile weapons, enemy can just move away before shooting, there are much cheaper and more efficient debuff options), I am thinking about redoing the list into something like this:

Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
4 x Fulminators (480)
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000

I'm interested to see how it fares? I actually have models to do this list as well (outside of the unreleased stuff)

Would/do you lean towards a specific Stormhost? I think all the good ones have options with this list; Anvils for double attacks on 4 charging Fulminators, Tempest Lords for wound rerolls of 1 and CP refund/extra, Celestial Vindicators for reroll hit rolls of 1 and +1 attack on the charge.  

I might even drop 5 x Sequitors plus shackles for Knight Incantor

Edited by AwareTheLegend

6 minutes ago, AwareTheLegend said:

I'm interested to see how it fares? I actually have models to do this list as well (outside of the unreleased stuff)

Would/do you lean towards a specific Stormhost? I think all the good ones have options with this list; Anvils for double attacks on 4 charging Fulminators, Tempest Lords for wound rerolls of 1 and CP refund/extra, Celestial Vindicators for reroll hit rolls of 1 and +1 attack on the charge.  

I might even drop 5 x Sequitors plus shackles for Knight Incantor

Have not thought far enough ahead for that. There is a ton of information to digest between our new and changed artifact and trait options, and stormhost options (which decide the former for us). Things get even more complicated when looking at the realm artifacts. There are a ton of ways things could go.