AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

The face is kinda weird yeah but the rest of the body is ace. And Solbright looks amazing to me.

First eyes on Dracoline rules too!

3 attacks 3+/3+/-1/1

D3 damage on the charge and -1 from enemy bravery within 3".

12" move.

So sort of a mid-point between Palladors and Dracoths.

I love the Tauralon model, might be skipping the Dracolines though.  I also find the characters to be underwhelming especially  at the points we have seen.  Seems to be a theme with Stormcast outside of the Ballistas which are really good for the points.  The spells are just not good in my opinion, and the 9" range on the Tauralon guys spell is a bit of a bummer.  Feels like we are paying premium points for stuff that is kinda average rules wise(see celestant prime)

Now in the interest of balancing my disappointment in the rules, Stormcast are my jam visually, so bring on Soul Wars Saturday!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

First eyes on Dracoline rules too!

3 attacks 3+/3+/-1/1

D3 damage on the charge and -1 from enemy bravery within 3".

12" move.

So sort of a mid-point between Palladors and Dracoths.

It also looks like they can re-roll their charge. 

• Like 1

Will be really interesting how thay word the rules for the Stormhost since these characters are exclusive to Hammers if Sigmar. Will there be named characters for other Stormhosts? Or can the others just use generic mounted L-Arcanums and K-Incantors? Would be really cool if the battletome hade warscrolls for famous commanders of the other Stormhosts that used the already available models like if you have a Hallowed Knights army you could use a Gardus Steelsoul warscrolls for your Lord-Celestant on foot or a Morris Grymn for your L-Castellant.

• Like 4

Dracolines seem to combo very well with Heraldors (assuming Heraldor rules stay the same) and the -1 Bravery debuff is great for things like the Banshee Blade and Lord-Exorcist

There are generic "Lord Arcanum on Dracoline" and "Lord Arcanum on Tauralon" entries in the Generals Handbook, at +20 and -20 points compared to their Hammers of Sigmar equivalents

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Walrustaco said:

I dunno about this beasty's face. If I could find a nice horse face to replace it I'd seriously consider it.

20180626_152853.jpg

Oh dear. Now the melee special rule makes sense. Every time they wound it in melee they might gaze upon its majestic face and risk letting their guard down in a fit of laughter. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, silentdeathz said:

Oh dear. Now the melee special rule makes sense. Every time they wound it in melee they might gaze upon its majestic face and risk letting their guard down in a fit of laughter. 

Also, it's cropped at the bottom but the thing looks like it's wearing a bib

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, silentdeathz said:

Here's hoping for another head on the sprue, tends to be the case with the bigger monsters.

2 hours ago, kuroyume said:

Absolutely. Revealing them after showing the powerhouses that Nighthaunt will get only makes them more underwhelming. The Mortarch of Grief is 120 points cheaper the the Magistrate of Hammerhal and arguably more powerful. 

This makes me lean more heavily towards GW not wanting Stormcast to be great, just average.  Combine their points and the points on the Celestant Prime.  What is the justification?  

I may get Firestrike,  will depend a lot on the battletome and the generic versions.

In the old battletome it did not restrict Stormhosts to certain colors at all.  So hopefully this continues and if you painted yours one color you can still call it hammers of sigmar 

You know what i find quite disappointing (although i could have known it in advance)? 

The massive usage of one type of Hero: Lord Arcanum!

We have: On foot, on Charger, on Dracoline, on Tauralon as well as two of those as named versions. They share the Storm Cycle, the Suicide Flasks, the pimped Arcane Bolt and partly even the Command Ability. 

I know we are spoiled but at least for the named versions i was hoping for a more creative approach (See Nighthaunt!!)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Primes said:

You know what i find quite disappointing (although i could have known it in advance)? 

The massive usage of one type of Hero: Lord Arcanum!

We have: On foot, on Charger, on Dracoline, on Tauralon as well as two of those as named versions. They share the Storm Cycle, the Suicide Flasks, the pimped Arcane Bolt and partly even the Command Ability. 

I know we are spoiled but at least for the named versions i was hoping for a more creative approach (See Nighthaunt!!)

Isn’t it like this for the Lord Celestant though? On foot, on Dracoth, on Stardrake, with Gavriel and Vandus being named versions, and Gavriel even getting his own model with no generic equivalent?

• Like 1

I love "shadespire" bases, but Astreia one, is way to massive, the part on top of the statue head make the mini  look worst in my book. 

I am not fan of the Dracoline design, but the rest of the mini is nothing special

I don't like the new SC wizards masks/helmet, I hope there will be an alternative head, with a pretty face with crazy flying hair in the kit.

Sanofi-Aventis helmet is ok for my taste :)

51 minutes ago, Sieggi858 said:

Isn’t it like this for the Lord Celestant though? On foot, on Dracoth, on Stardrake, with Gavriel and Vandus being named versions, and Gavriel even getting his own model with no generic equivalent?

yes and no. They only share one rule, having more attacks on the charge, as well as the uber-shield but that's all

Edited by ledha
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sieggi858 said:

You are right but ruleswise they are so different that I did consider them! So from a fluff perspective its the same, from a rules perspective Lord Arcanum feels a lot like copy paste.

You know, everyone can already assume what the non named versions of the missing models might look like ruleswise...

17 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I never considered it before, but having multiple Cycle of the Storm seems really good for elite units like Paladins and Dracoths.

According to Ben Johnson the ability only works if the model/unit takes exactly the amount of wounds to be slain, otherwise the excess damage would just slay them again. I guess it could save a couple of wounds to a unit of dracoths if you are doubling up on it.  Still  not a great mechanic in my opinion...

Edited by Mikosan

13 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I never considered it before, but having multiple Cycle of the Storm seems really good for elite units like Paladins and Dracoths.

Yeah, it's pretty good, but if I want multiples I would just take a second LAoGC, not one of the two characters announced today.

The new battletome had better be good, because solbright and firestrike are pretty bad.  They just threw the whole kitchen sink of crappy abilities at them.  So far the only thing that looks strong to me out of everything that's been revealed is... Sequitors.  I'm really leaning towards a core of two blocks of 20 sequitors with a bunch of Lords Arcanum to keep them alive and buff them.  Sure sounds boring but I'll be damned if it won't be hard to kill.  

2 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

The new battletome had better be good, because solbright and firestrike are pretty bad.  They just threw the whole kitchen sink of crappy abilities at them.  So far the only thing that looks strong to me out of everything that's been revealed is... Sequitors.  I'm really leaning towards a core of two blocks of 20 sequitors with a bunch of Lords Arcanum to keep them alive and buff them.  Sure sounds boring but I'll be damned if it won't be hard to kill.  

Ballistas are quite strong for their points. The temptation is to put a bunch around an Ordinator, but if you just take a couple in cover, they're 2+ 7W long range platforms that shred things when they get close. 

Incantors are fairly solid. If nothing else, auto dispel will be invaluable if the game starts to go heavy on the Magic side of things. 

But yeah I hope the Battletome gives something nice for Castigators and Evocators. I think Castigators are... fine, but nothing special.