AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hi there!

I'm looking at building my very first army ever for age of sigmar and the Idoneth was my first pick due to aesthetics. 

I've never built a list before and only ever played three tutorial games in total (I have played other table top games like warmahordes and bushido). So what I have on hand which I bought on release day is the following:

1 xAkhelian Leviadon
10 x Namarti Thralls
1 x Akhelian Allopex
1 x Isharann Soulscryer
1 x Isharann Tidecaster
1 x Akhelian King

1 x  Lotann, Warden of the Soul Ledgers
1 x Eidolon of Mathlann (have not decided which aspect to build him as of yet)

I would love your input on a list and what I need to buy in addition to create a decent competitive army.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

1 hour ago, Niishaw said:

Hi there!

I'm looking at building my very first army ever for age of sigmar and the Idoneth was my first pick due to aesthetics. 

I've never built a list before and only ever played three tutorial games in total (I have played other table top games like warmahordes and bushido). So what I have on hand which I bought on release day is the following:

1 xAkhelian Leviadon
10 x Namarti Thralls
1 x Akhelian Allopex
1 x Isharann Soulscryer
1 x Isharann Tidecaster
1 x Akhelian King

I would love your input on a list and what I need to buy in addition to create a decent competitive army.

Welcome in this cold dark and wet elvish place :D

For sure u need a lot of eels, at least 4 boxes for me,builded like  6 Morrsarr and 6 ishlaen, then u could use some more trhall for sure, unless u want a mono cavalry army. 

1 hour ago, Niishaw said:

Hi there!

1 xAkhelian Leviadon
10 x Namarti Thralls
1 x Akhelian Allopex
1 x Isharann Soulscryer
1 x Isharann Tidecaster
1 x Akhelian King

Welcome!

I think you need eels for sure, even if you decided later to focus on Thralls/Reavers having at least two boxes of eels to make a Morsarr unit will get use. 

If you focus on eels with the army I would vote for another Akhelian King. Make one normal and the other Volturnos. 

So to keep up morale, I'll show my army project.

I am committing to fully painting each unit before building the next. I may start a blog on TGA if anyone is interested. I hoping to capture a tropical theme.

My inital inspiration for the eels was a Blue Ribbon Eel.

I hope you like.

In terms of army building, so far I have a generic Akhelian King and 3 Ishlaen guard (here's to hoping they keep the rend resistance)

WP_20180703_17_20_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20180703_17_17_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20180703_17_18_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20180703_17_18_17_Pro.jpg

WP_20180703_17_19_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20180703_17_19_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20180703_17_19_46_Pro.jpg

• Like 7

I was thinking a list like

Heroes: 820
Volturnos - 280
Isharann Tidecaster - 100
Eidolon of the Sea - 440
Isharann Soulrender - 100

Battleline: 1060
3x Ishlaen Guard - 140
3x Ishlaen Guard - 140
30x Thralls - 360
10x Thralls - 140
10x Reavers - 140
10x Reavers - 140

Any critiques, could this work or should I focus more on a specific type?

33 minutes ago, Ronga said:

I was thinking a list like

Heroes: 820
Volturnos - 280
Isharann Tidecaster - 100
Eidolon of the Sea - 440
Isharann Soulrender - 100

Battleline: 1060
3x Ishlaen Guard - 140
3x Ishlaen Guard - 140
30x Thralls - 360
10x Thralls - 140
10x Reavers - 140
10x Reavers - 140

Any critiques, could this work or should I focus more on a specific type?

What spells, artefacts and enclave are you thinking about?

Personally I think that a 30 blob of thralls seem unwieldy and hard to get into combat. At least thats what i thought of my 30 Bloodletters, and they are on smaller bases. 2x20 seem better to me. The Soulrender can then run in between the 4 units of namarti. An endless spell like the shackles or maelstrom might fit in nicely with the AoS as well as it forces the opponent to use one of their casting rolls as a dispel if they fail to dispel it when it is cast. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reeve said:

How difficult is it to headswap him? I was also thinking of making a Volturnus hybrid with a different head and maybe weapon. 

Not OP but I did a very similar conversion for the head to create something between a generic king and volturnous so I could use him as both. It was an incredibly easy swap, the only real changes I had to do was to slightly file down the neck part on the main body as it sticks up slightly which creates a gap.

2 hours ago, Pompe said:

What spells, artefacts and enclave are you thinking about?

Personally I think that a 30 blob of thralls seem unwieldy and hard to get into combat. At least thats what i thought of my 30 Bloodletters, and they are on smaller bases. 2x20 seem better to me. The Soulrender can then run in between the 4 units of namarti. An endless spell like the shackles or maelstrom might fit in nicely with the AoS as well as it forces the opponent to use one of their casting rolls as a dispel if they fail to dispel it when it is cast. 

I agree with the unwieldy part of this, I think the main point (for me) of a unit of 30 is the points reduction and ability to be extra sure you aren't getting wiped before using the Soulrender outside of a very determined effort.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Niishaw said:

Thanks a lot guys :) this has been super informative and helpful.

I have now ordered myself some eels and additional thralls, would it also be wise to get some range units or just use the range weapons of my other units?

Assuming that the AoS app nerf of Reavers is wrong (and I think I saw GW staff saying the app isn't accurate right now), I personally like Reavers for both their awesome sculpts and ability to skirmish well.  That being said, they are not the foundation for a gunline nor are any ID units.  If you would like reliably powerful shooting, I would fill that role with allies.

20 minutes ago, markymarkka said:

Yeah, reavers will be fun objectice grabbers and i suppose you can teleport them around with steed of tides. Get them 9" from an enemy and fire a full volley, lol. Its not very effective damage wise though. 

Only heroes can be teleported with steed.

And to be honest I do not think you can use the 9" shot either :(

Edited by Pompe
  • Thanks 1

While I would love Reavers to be cool, I can't see a role for them honestly, aside from grabbing objectives or soaking damage. 

Heartrenders grab objectives better and for less points, while Ishlaenn are considerably tankier and faster if you need a soak, albeit for 20 points more.

Regarding their output, from 9" range you'd expect 3-4 wounds against 4+ save, which is atrocious (15 hits > 7-8 wounds > 3-4 saves) and in practice you won't get more than one or two of these volleys a game, certainly not at full strength. 

Meanwhile your single shots at 18" you'd be lucky to sneak more than a wound through against a 4+ 

The most use they've been for me is forcing the enemy to shoot them rather than Thralls using allegiance ability, or using them to bodyblock a charge for a turn

16 minutes ago, Unter said:

While I would love Reavers to be cool, I can't see a role for them honestly, aside from grabbing objectives or soaking damage. 

Heartrenders grab objectives better and for less points, while Ishlaenn are considerably tankier and faster if you need a soak, albeit for 20 points more.

Regarding their output, from 9" range you'd expect 3-4 wounds against 4+ save, which is atrocious (15 hits > 7-8 wounds > 3-4 saves) and in practice you won't get more than one or two of these volleys a game, certainly not at full strength. 

Meanwhile your single shots at 18" you'd be lucky to sneak more than a wound through against a 4+ 

The most use they've been for me is forcing the enemy to shoot them rather than Thralls using allegiance ability, or using them to bodyblock a charge for a turn

Awesome I'll look at the Heartrenders  and then also see if the Allopex and the Leviadon's shooting will help....I just think a form of range might be advantageous. 

Beware that as they are not Deepkin they can be shot off even if they are not the closest target. And 5w with a 6+ save and 7 bravery is not sticking around if targeted. That's why I prefer the reavers a bit more. Can't be targeted and a tiny bit more durable. Though I have to admit that I've been glancing at the Khinari as 80 points is a nice gap filler if you don't want to go down the route of endless spells :)

18 minutes ago, Stormy1486 said:

The app has been updated.

Ishalen returned to old, no rend rules.

All other changes (king, tidecaster) also fixed.

Horrah!

AoStorm is still missing one ability in mine. Is it corrected in yours?

I have updated my app and the only unit that has been fixed in mine is the ishlaen guard. All the other units are still unfixed. That is to say, the king still doesnt give +1 attacks, the soulrender's talumhook deals just 1 dmg, the reavers still have a sad sad weapon´s profile and so on. 

How lame. For the moment, i refuse to aknowledge any changes unless they appear in an errata or designer´s commentary.

Edited by Gurtyel

5 minutes ago, Reezark_SP said:

Just updated the app. The Ishlaen Guard are back to being immune to rend and 3+ armor when charging, reavers fixed, and Volurnos's CA back to normal but Morsarr Guard went down to 140 points and the Leviadon, both Aspects went up in points.

Just curious, how much damage does the soulrender´s talumhook deal in your app? is it 1 or 2? Also, it seems the points you got are consistent with the GHB 2018 points which are wrong. I guess they have still work to do.

Edited by Gurtyel

8 minutes ago, Gurtyel said:

Just curious, how much damage does the soulrender´s talumhook deal in your app? is it 1 or 2? Also, it seems the points you got are consistent with the GHB 2018 points which are wrong. I guess they have still work to do.

In the app I am seeing the Talumhook doing 2 damage.