AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Am I missing something? I see on app the same warscroll as days ago. I deleted and downloaded and see everything the same. Also the turtle has the 3 attaks on diatance.

So as sylvaneth Alarielle and brachwraith is supposed to change for the summoning and still the same warscroll as always 

10 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

Am I missing something? I see on app the same warscroll as days ago. I deleted and downloaded and see everything the same. Also the turtle has the 3 attaks on diatance.

So as sylvaneth Alarielle and brachwraith is supposed to change for the summoning and still the same warscroll as always 

Update the app itself

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone what is your opinions on Aspect of the Sea vs. Storm?

I've put mine together as the Sea Aspect however in all of the games I've played I wouldn't say he's been all that amazing. His Tsunami of Terror looks fantastic on paper but either I roll really bad and only affect 1 or 2 enemy units or it gets dispelled and almost all of its attacks (ranged or melee) have yet to make a significant dent in anything yet.

On the other hand the Aspect of the Storm has some pretty devastating melee attacks, self heals on the charge, can retreat and charge anytime without penalty, and makes other units reroll 1s to wound. Seems pretty baller to me.

But most lists I'm seeing discussed use Aspect of the Sea (not Storm) so what am I missing?

Also how certain are you guys that the changes to the Reavers in the app are a mistake? I certainly hope they are I  just bought and assembled a box of them and I cant recall a single elf unit in the history of warhammer with a hit and wound roll so terrible. 100% sure I'm dumping them if the nerf is intentional.

Edited by Reezark_SP

3 hours ago, Reezark_SP said:

I've put mine together as the Sea Aspect however in all of the games I've played I wouldn't say he's been all that amazing. His Tsunami of Terror looks fantastic on paper but either I roll really bad and only affect 1 or 2 enemy units or it gets dispelled and almost all of its attacks (ranged or melee) have yet to make a significant dent in anything yet.

On the other hand the Aspect of the Storm has some pretty devastating melee attacks, self heals on the charge, can retreat and charge anytime without penalty, and makes other units reroll 1s to wound. Seems pretty baller to me.

But most lists I'm seeing discussed use Aspect of the Sea (not Storm) so what am I missing?

I'm leaning towards the Storm , if you are facing a lot of magic defence or facing Nagash , you aren't going to be getting any spells off anyway.

The Storm does reliable damage , so that's the way I'm going. But I really worry about keeping up with the summoning armies.

4 hours ago, Reezark_SP said:

Also how certain are you guys that the changes to the Reavers in the app are a mistake? I certainly hope they are I  just bought and assembled a box of them and I cant recall a single elf unit in the history of warhammer with a hit and wound roll so terrible. 100% sure I'm dumping them if the nerf is intentional.

So for the aspect of the sea and the aspect of the storm I'm gonna put those two in the same boat as the turtle.  I think this put the units into prospect. 

The point of these units is on the buffs and debuffs they provide. The power they bring from melee is considerably lacking. 

Looking at the melee beat stick aspect of the sea its damage out put and wound count are basicly morrsarr guard.  You are paying 260pts for +1 save. That to me isn't good enough. However if he is providing reroll 1s to multiple unit then he starts to see alittle value.  He wouldn't be too bad in a vulturnous list as a second unit buffed by a king. He's not very good when buffed as he has few profiles to benefit  when compared to his cost.

Aspect of the sea similarly does comparable damage if you have him use his damage spell. He is about the -1 to hit. Alone he can give 1 unit -2 to hit and more so with the artifact that let's you extend duration you can start stacking up or -1.  I pair them with morrsarr guard who dont scale off army buffs, but would love enemy attacking them with multiple -1 to hit.  

The turtle again similar damage output as storm and brings cover. Pairs well with ishlaen from the book. That +1 save is great when you can take it away, and the turtle scale well getting the buffs from the king on turn 3.  +5 jaw attacks is pretty good.

Edited by mmimzie
  • Like 2

I have a 1500pt tournament coming up in a few weeks and wondered what you guys would recommend as a competitive list?  I have multiples of all of the units so I’m able to run whatever.

We are following the battlehost chart for the event. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by BrBandit

Starting to build up my idoneth forces for aos2, it'll be a nice break from chaos. 

What are our best ally choices that you have found? 

I'm thinking of running a drakeseer for some MW output and I was going to replace his wings with fins like the eels. Make him a big bad eel. Chuck some idoneth parts on for the rider. 

Would love to hear what has worked for people. 

16 hours ago, mmimzie said:

So for the aspect of the sea and the aspect of the storm I'm gonna put those two in the same boat as the turtle.  I think this put the units into prospect. 

The point of these units is on the buffs and debuffs they provide. The power they bring from melee is considerably lacking. 

Looking at the melee beat stick aspect of the sea its damage out put and wound count are basicly morrsarr guard.  You are paying 260pts for +1 save. That to me isn't good enough. However if he is providing reroll 1s to multiple unit then he starts to see alittle value.  He wouldn't be too bad in a vulturnous list as a second unit buffed by a king. He's not very good when buffed as he has few profiles to benefit  when compared to his cost.

Aspect of the sea similarly does comparable damage if you have him use his damage spell. He is about the -1 to hit. Alone he can give 1 unit -2 to hit and more so with the artifact that let's you extend duration you can start stacking up or -1.  I pair them with morrsarr guard who dont scale off army buffs, but would love enemy attacking them with multiple -1 to hit.  

The turtle again similar damage output as storm and brings cover. Pairs well with ishlaen from the book. That +1 save is great when you can take it away, and the turtle scale well getting the buffs from the king on turn 3.  +5 jaw attacks is pretty good.

This is a pretty good post, I just have a few counterpoints. 

For starters, I only own/have used the AoSea, I just think it’s much better. The combo of spell ability and decent combat ability is very good. I usually debate whether it’s a good idea to use this guy vs two spellcasters and a morsarr unit, it isn’t a clear choice either way. 

I think the AoStorm is a bit better than given credit for. It is very reliable rending (which otherwise we don’t have). Can totally crush 6 wound heroes and can get to them quickly with speed and flight. I wouldn’t necessarily send him in to fight a 40 skeleton block, but it can do work if you think about positioning. 

-edited random words caught by swear filter. 

Edited by Caladancid

4 hours ago, Caladancid said:

This is a pretty good post, I just have a few counterpoints. 

For starters, I only own/have used the AoSea, I just think it’s much better. The combo of spell ability and decent combat ability is very good. I usually debate whether it’s a good idea to use this guy vs two spellcasters and a morsarr unit, it isn’t a clear choice either way. 

I think the AoStorm is a bit better than given credit for. It is very reliable rending (which otherwise we don’t have). Can totally crush 6 wound heroes and can get to them quickly with speed and flight. I wouldn’t necessarily send him in to fight a 40 skeleton block, but it can do work if you think about positioning. 

-edited random words caught by swear filter. 

My only issue with the Aspect of the Sea is that magic isn't a sure thing.  The spells are super nice IF they go off and IF they aren't unbound.  I can't help but think that we're going to see a lot of Knight Incantors being added to order armies. 

24 minutes ago, Ronga said:

Just getting started in Idoneth. I am wondering what would be a stronger tournament build, the Alpha Strike eel list or Thralls and Reavers with character support?

I think most people will probably tell you that eel spam is going to be more competitive.  I wish I could give a good counter point but it's kinda hard to.  One list I would like to try out is several units of 20 Thralls backed up by Reavers.  Once the Thralls get into combat, the Reavers just sit behind them and fire into the melee with 30 or more shots. Seems like the Reavers could help chew through units pretty quickly without themselves getting into trouble. 

Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm
- General
- Command Trait : Unstoppable Fury
Isharann Tidecaster
- Artefact : Coral Ring
- Lore of the Deeps : Tide of Fear
Isharann Soulrender
Isharann Soulrender 
UNITS
20 x Namarti Thralls
20 x Namarti Thralls
20 x Namarti Thralls 
10 x Namarti Reavers
10 x Namarti Reavers
10 x Namarti Reavers

Comes out to 1960pts so you could add an Endless spell in there or something.

I'm hoping that as AoS 2.0 matures, there will be a good reason for a mix of both in a competitive list.  I'm going to keep using my 20-30 Thralls though because I've spent a lot of time painting them. 

Edited by Sulfurious

1 hour ago, Ronga said:

Just getting started in Idoneth. I am wondering what would be a stronger tournament build, the Alpha Strike eel list or Thralls and Reavers with character support?

It depends on who you ask. Most seems in camp eels. But like @DantePQ says he has been have some success in side games with his competitive friends. 

Both ha e their pros and cons. I thi k with summoning being what is is. The alpha list is almost mandatory. You just dont have time to poke around with thralls when your opponent could be summoning like 500-800pts of free stuff. The real problem thrall armies will be serapphon, tzneetch, and death. 

2 of which eels o think can just shut down. The high speed and damage from morrsarr or even ishlaen let's you break the required summoner'd back. Tzneetch will require you to ha e so much control over the table there is no where to set models down. Which is significantly harder. 

11 hours ago, Sulfurious said:

UNITS

20 x Namarti Thralls
20 x Namarti Thralls
20 x Namarti Thralls 
10 x Namarti Reavers
10 x Namarti Reavers
10 x Namarti Reavers

The more I see lists like these the more often I ask myself if I ever want to go to a tournament. The build above is like going to a restaurant and ordering cooked potatoes instead of a normal dish. ?

On 7/1/2018 at 3:23 PM, Stormy1486 said:

I like the idea of sharing projects - here is my volturnos (slight alterations)

@azamar love the cloak. Also working on my eildadon

20180701_231908.jpg

20180701_231927.jpg

How difficult is it to headswap him? I was also thinking of making a Volturnus hybrid with a different head and maybe weapon. 

1 hour ago, Aryann said:

The more I see lists like these the more often I ask myself if I ever want to go to a tournament. The build above is like going to a restaurant and ordering cooked potatoes instead of a normal dish. ?

Considering a tournament involves bringing your strongest list, you will see lots of spam. 

Competitive AoS/40k in the first instance is about list construction. Although it has pretensions to be a tactical game, I'd argue in general it is more about knowledge and preparation until you get to a decent skill level on the top tables.

Unless you aren't trying to win, in which case you can just play Allopexes or whatever